• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Just for some context, according to that graphic all of Nintendo's mobile titles have accrued $1.076 billion combined over their lifetime.

Pokemon Go made $900 million in 2019 alone.

Just gives you an idea of how insanely popular Pokemon Go has become.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Euden should probably be one of the DLC characters for Fighters Pass 2.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo making a Dragalia Lost JRPG for switch would make sense but who i am to opinate

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Just for some context, according to that graphic all of Nintendo's mobile titles have accrued $1.076 billion combined over their lifetime.

Pokemon Go made $900 million in 2019 alone.

Just gives you an idea of how insanely popular Pokemon Go has become.

Precisely. I've seen some twist the numbers to show how little Nintendo's apps have made, but it speaks a lot more to how huge Pokémon Go actually is.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Dragalia Lost could easily double or triple its earnings if it was like other gacha games. But Cygames has been very generous to the players. If you're going to play a gacha game this is it.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Nintendo better keep funneling that $$ into traditional Fire Emblem games.

With the relative success of Three Houses, I do see another entry coming for the Switch, but who knows if it will be IntSys developing it.

Why would the next Fire Emblem be developed by anyone but Intelligent Systems? They were still the brains behind Three Houses even if Koei Tecmo did most of the leg work. They aren't just going to let them make the next one on their own. They'll just be a resource studio and I in fact fully expect the same collaboration for the next console Fire Emblem.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Dr Mario is quite good but it is true you can totally play without paying (although the game is haaard)
Run was a good game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dragalia Lost could easily double or triple its earnings if it was like other gacha games. But Cygames has been very generous to the players. If you're going to play a gacha game this is it.

Cygames isn't the one being generous, they publicly complained about Nintendo holding them back lol

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The next logic steps:

- Xenoblade gacha mobile game
- Dragalia Lost Switch game

Nintendo pls
Nintendo making a Dragalia Lost JRPG for switch would make sense but who i am to opinate

I've been hoping Dragalia Lost would be a success since its announcement solely in hopes of a Switch version. While there are plenty of anime games third parties I want more from Nintendo. lol

Haven't spent a cent on any of these games though. I just can't justify paying for micro-transactions. I'd be down for a one time purchase pass for Dr Mario World that lets me play with infinite stamina. Hell I'd pay up to $50 for that if they offered.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Go, Dragalia!! So happy to see the game growing. My favourite mobile game by far

I believed for a while that he would close out FP1. Well, here's hoping either him or another character get in Fighter's Pass 2.

The first mobile original IP from Nintendo seems like a significant enough thing to warrant inclusion. It will be of historical importance.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Oh yes I'm sure everyone is begging to spend money to get those gacha pulls for the elusive Cupid Baby Peach.

No seriously, that's the one they've got going right now.

No you don't get it with the Gold Pass either.

Mario Kart Tour is really only good for a few things:

-New courses, including new retro courses like Vanilla Lake
-Introduced Reverse and Trick versions of all courses which absolutely should make their way into other games in the series
-New character renders (but they really need to move away from Mario and Peach variations; the best ones are the likes of HoliDaisy and Bus Driver Waluigi)
-Brought back missions (sorta)
-New items, although the quality of them is hit-or-miss

The actual gacha aspect of it is complete trash. The economy is terrible, and it's so brazenly P2W that it ruins the weekly ranking system. The game at least functions well but it doesn't feel all that rewarding to play. It needed to have proper multiplayer, like, months ago, but even that may not turn out well if they gacha-fy it, as the beta tests have shown.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Not even counting Pokemon GO! Which having having a state in TPC means they are eating well of that.

Nintendo's careful strategy of how they approached mobile meant they could have their cake and eat it too.

Its similar to Microsoft seeing a boon for supporting PC properly.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I was actually wondering if they just forgot Miitomo, or if the amount it made in its short life was so insignificant it wasn't worth putting in the total

It must have made at least a little money, although I don't really even remember what the money grab element was in that "game"
It was opportunities to play the minigame you get clothes in, I think? Miitomo always struck me more as a way to get people to make Nintendo accounts then a serious money earner.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Cygames isn't the one being generous, they publicly complained about Nintendo holding them back lol
Dragalia Lost is far more generous than Fire Emblem Heroes or Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and Cygames' other games are also extremely generous.
Cygames complained that they weren't able to monetize it as much as they'd hoped, but they have a track record of being much more generous in their gacha games than Nintendo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i see, so i had it wrong with dragalia lost. i thought it did meh at launch and then got better later, but it's the other way around.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
Mario Kart Tour is really only good for a few things:

-New courses, including new retro courses like Vanilla Lake
-Introduced Reverse and Trick versions of all courses which absolutely should make their way into other games in the series
-New character renders (but they really need to move away from Mario and Peach variations; the best ones are the likes of HoliDaisy and Bus Driver Waluigi)
-Brought back missions (sorta)
-New items, although the quality of them is hit-or-miss

The actual gacha aspect of it is complete trash. The economy is terrible, and it's so brazenly P2W that it ruins the weekly ranking system. The game at least functions well but it doesn't feel all that rewarding to play. It needed to have proper multiplayer, like, months ago, but even that may not turn out well if they gacha-fy it, as the beta tests have shown.

Agreed. I really do enjoy the game for its courses and the returning/new items, but the characters you can get through the gacha mechanic are not enticing at all. Although certainly more creative than the likes of Red Yoshi and Pink Gold Peach, I wouldn't even say Holiday Daisy and Bus Driver Waluigi are worth it. If they would release truly new characters from across the Mario universe (or even untapped ones from past Mario Kart games like Honey Queen and R.O.B.), I'd be more interested in maybe purchasing rubies, but for the most part we're just getting costumes and recolors.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
i see, so i had it wrong with dragalia lost. i thought it did meh at launch and then got better later, but it's the other way around.
Yeah, SensorTower had it at $75 through mid-February 2019, about 5 months since launch.
So in the year since, it earned less than $50 million.
The game fell off hard after Heralds of Hinomoto.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, SensorTower had it at $75 through mid-February 2019, about 5 months since launch.
So in the year since, it earned less than $50 million.
The game fell off hard after Heralds of Hinomoto.
i wonder why they keep trying with it tho, if it's not doing too hot. usually f2p games don't get this much new content and events, etc when they're doing bad.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, $50 million isn't insignificant.
Mobile games just tend to have insane profit margins, with the most successful ones being insane.
Regardless, the game definitely seems to be getting cuts, with Japanese VA being reduced in new units' stories and the like.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo better keep funneling that $$ into traditional Fire Emblem games.

With the relative success of Three Houses, I do see another entry coming for the Switch, but who knows if it will be IntSys developing it.
It's an Intelligent Systems IP. They'll always have involvement.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Sure, but I don't think that's a particularly meaningful distinction in this case. It would be decidedly less generous if it was handled like Cygame's own projects.
If you look at FEH and other Nintendo ips that's farmed out on mobile, it's gotta be a general directive interpreted by developers to not nickel and dime players right? Unless DL is given special attention as an original ip.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Just to give a rough idea : They would need to sell 10 millions of "regular" Fire Emblem games to make the same amount of money.
Or wording it differently, with 2 million sales Fire Emblem 3 Houses would make around ~120 million $, not even a fifth of what Heroes did.

Of course there are various others factors to take into account as well (development/running costs, additional income through dlc/season pass for 3 Houses, but you get the idea)

Doesnt Apple/Google take 30% ? Thats pretty big too. And like you mentioned , the running costs is probably way higher too.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Doesnt Apple/Google take 30% ? Thats pretty big too. And like you mentioned , the running costs is probably way higher too.

Yes they do, but in that case you'll had to take into account that selling a retail copy entails similar cuts with producing the physical media, shipping it to a retailer and the retailer taking part of the revenu for selling it. Even digital you'd have to take vouchers into account which might drastically reduce the average ARPU, 3 Houses has the luxury of being 1st party so the cut of the owner of the storefront goes to Nintendo regardless but 3rd party wouldn't have that luxury.
I just grazed the surface of costs/cuts entailed with their respective platforms (you can be sure that 3 Houses was a much more expensive game to make than Heroes), the point was just to give a rough idea of revenu, nothing more.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
"Mario games have surprisingly contributed smaller shares of overall revenue, with Mario Kart Tour.. being responsible for 8%"

This bodes well for my hopes of getting Mario Kart 9 on Switch rather sooner than later 😎

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see FEH and Dragalia doing so well! Love playing them, especially Dragalia.

Looks like Dr. Mario World was a bomb, though. Once the puzzles got too difficult to solve on my commute to work, I stopped playing it... which was a month or so after launch? I imagine a lot of others did the same.

The next logic steps:

- Xenoblade gacha mobile game
- Dragalia Lost Switch game

Nintendo pls

I'd love both of these, but especially a Dragalia Switch game! Really hope it happens.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but I don't think that's a particularly meaningful distinction in this case. It would be decidedly less generous if it was handled like Cygame's own projects.

Granblue also give tons of free rolls though. I think the point where Nintendo might be holding them back is no paid cosmetics. Granblue sells costumes that can only be bought with actual money rather than gacha mechanics or in-game currency, but Dragalia doesn't have that at all.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how anyone can be convinced to give Dragalia Lost money because they are hyper generous. I've always been f2p in gacha games, for the most part, and I've never been able to get almost ALL of the 5* characters like I have in this.