• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
And it kinda sucks.

I understand why, the GameCube, as much as I loved it was a bomb and while my memory is hazy, I think there was talk at the time of it almost crippling Nintendo financially.

But still, the GameCube was simply an incredible console. Who doesn't remember loading Rogue Leader for the first time and being blown away by the photo realistic graphics. It was ducking incredible, shit looked exactly like the movie.

So, how do you feel about Ninty going there own way? That we might never see a game like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey in 4k?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
ok cool i guess?

We know they are locked in with nvidia for the next little while and have access to the best SoCs they design and it will likely be in the Tegra/mobile configuraiton.

If you want power get a PC. The Switch is really great for what i does

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I have with them being so behind in tech is that it makes the ports that go to their systems have poor performance. For native first party Nintendo games, Nintendo does a good job of making games with art styles that fit the hardware

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
With how expensive games are getting to make, Nintendo may be ahead of the curve by not having their games cost a 100 million dollars to make and market. I dread what studio closures will happen in the advent of next-gen.

Last edited:

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
We will probably see a 4k nintendo game when Sony and MS will be 16k. It's ok, I don't care that much.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They have found their niche of being a companion console and they like it. Nothing wrong with that.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Nintendo had maybe three generations where they chased cutting edge tech (maybe SNES, definitely for N64 and GCN). it's not really a part of their ID.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad Nintendo doesn't chase power, it would make them as boring as the other console guys,

I don't need my consoles to have a gimmick. I just want a good place to play games. Switch is limited by Nintendo's backwards online stance, limited OS features, and hardware power. I don't think what Microsoft or Sony is doing is in any way 'boring', having a lot of fun on those platforms.

I would play/buy more third party games on Switch if those versions weren't (usually) worse off due to the above. Be it frame rate, missing achievements, a lesser online experience, and d-pad / gamepad issues. (I bought so many games on Switch that I am also suffering due to no folder support.)

I think Switch is the last Nintendo hardware that will truly suffer due to limited power though. I don't need them to go for high-spec gaming, but I do want their games to look good on my 4K tv set and for third party developers to release their titles without too many limitations.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their art styles honestly scale pretty well on the lower end of resolutions (just as they do on the higher end).

I care far less about resolution when it comes to playing Mario for instance versus Uncharted or Gears.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
And they don't need to, thankfully.

They have portability now, which is even better.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
At one point I was sad about it but I never own just one console. Some of the best looking games this gen are from Nintendo. And for the heavy hitters? I have other options.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their art styles honestly scale pretty well on the lower end of resolutions (just as they do on the higher end).

I care far less about resolution when it comes to play Mario for instance versus Uncharted or Gears.
But a Mario game on those platforms to look tremendously great.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Them not even supporting HDR is kinda just sad. I wish they would push tech even sometimes. They push software to the limit and their hardware is two gens behind, it feels bad man on a big TV.

Oct 25, 2017
They're offering something different and more power means higher expectations which means a lot of their smaller studios won't be able to catch up.
Pokémon is struggling to adapt to PS3 era graphics, imagine being plunged to PS4+ now.

It's preferable over splitting their resources between two consoles like last gen

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Beat me to it, like I was just about to post, "What Year is It?".gif

They chased power in 2001, no one cared, the Cube was a superior system and could handle a lot, and NO ONE CARED. There are a lot of good business principles at play here and Nintendo was smart to realize they could survive and thrive and be a good company by not playing the same game.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
it's ok.
one day we'll have a 4k switch style thing that fits in our pocket and people will still cry that nintendo is doomed or some shit

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I mean more power is always better, so it's a shame that they won't deliver that tier of product ever again. But they are far too small and don't have the knack for the intense R&D needed to deliver a high performance platform. It's better that they don't try.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Honestly I'm more worried about the opposite, Nintendo may never have that low-budget, experimental platform like they had with the GBA, the DS, etc. We're seeing less of that output already because all the resources have to go to HD development.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
As a Nintendo fan with absolutely no nostalgia for Gamecube or N64, but have been there for every portable release, I'm all for this. Maybe it's because of that background that I find power in console, and photo-realism in software, to be the least appealing things in video games.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I've got a gaming PC for power. Nintendo is smart to differentiate itself rather than be the 3rd also-ran pursuing an undifferentiated strategy. That's not a recipe for sales.

Jun 2, 2019
They don't need to and I'm fine with that.

Switch is a powerhouse for its form factor+price range though

I don't quite get this. Is the implication that Nintendo can only make good games when they're on underpowered software? Surely Nintendo's creativity unleashed on some more powerful hardware would be something to behold.

The opposite it's also true and was proven by the Wii and DS.

However I don't think that was what he meant. Power hungry nintendo usually doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of hardware and that makes for a really boring generation. GameCube and 3ds are proof of that

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
big as nintendo is i don't think they can "afford" to sell systems at a loss. which is what it'll take to get you 4K/60 BotW2 or whatever

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Good! Sure Playstation and Xbox will be miles ahead with resolution and framerate, but Nintendo will always sucessed with it's charm and IPs. I'd love to see Zelda in 4k, but that doesn't mean It'll never happen, just not yet.

I'm totally fine with this.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
What's the point of chasing power when tomorrow something comes out that's more powerful? Nintendo are smart to focus on hardware that first and foremost highlights their superior game development skills.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why? Nintendo still made great games when they were releasing powerful consoles.
powerful consoles require far longer dev cycles. look at first party outputs of Sony and MS. Nintendo manages to put out great polished games that would take twice as long to develop with more "powerful" consoles to take use of that hardware.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good. it's an unending race of wasting money and complicating game development and increasing budgets. i'm fine with them always being a gen behind, makes it easy to avoid a lot of bullshit and headache.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to think about how many Pokemon would have to be cut if Game Freak was forced to make a game in 4K.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I think part of the issue with Nintendo not chasing power was they delayed a generational graphical jump. At this point though every major Nintendo hardware release should be a big leap. I'm fine with them being behind because games that don't push all the polygons, with all the latest effects, at the highest resolutions are still fun. Nintendo will make games that look as technologically advanced as RDR2 in a few years. I can wait, and their fun games will make that wait go faster.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I genuinely don't care. Power is less of an issue over game experiences. As long as they continue to innovate, then I've got other consoles for my shinies.