• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Box Art do you like the best?

• U.S

Votes: 85 20.7%
  • Europe

Votes: 43 10.5%
  • Japan

Votes: 282 68.8%

• Total voters

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
SXBqrtV.jpg

Perfect Dark is perhaps one of the most accomplished games in the N64 library. It built on the solid work seen in the sublime GoldenEye 007, pushing the host hardware to its limits and making excellent use of the N64 Expansion Pak to deliver the kind of visuals that rival systems could only dream of. It remains one of Rare's best Nintendo efforts, and is fondly remembered by fans even today.
However, Perfect Dark is unusual in that the North American and European boxes have different (but thematically similar) designs, whereas the Japanese box opts for a totally unique red-and-black image which is perhaps the best of the lot; it shows Joanna Dark reclining on a sofa, gun in hand and sniper rifle nearby. It's one of the most understated covers you'll see for any home console AAA action title, and it works brilliantly – but why was it used for the Japanese version, and why did the western releases use two different takes on the same design?

Keen to get to the bottom of all of this (because we're sad like that), we got in touch with former Rare Art Director Kev Bayliss. It turns out that Bayliss – who now works at Yooka-Laylee studio Playtonic Games, along with many other Rare alumni – was involved with the creation of the two western covers.
"We needed the US one ultra quick and there was no model at all to use for the artwork," he explains. "So I had to quickly make some eyes and create a box art in about a day. That's what we ended up with and as a consequence of that, I was given the task of creating a proper Joanna Dark model – so that's when I got involved in the series. I made the model that was then used for the European box art and all promo material at the time."
Sadly, Bayliss is at a loss when it comes to explaining why the Japanese version of the game doesn't use the same cover art. He asserts that the decision to use a completely different image was entirely Nintendo's, not Rare's. Still, Bayliss approves of the choice.

"I'd never seen the Japanese box art until I saw it on fellow Rare staffer Simon Farmer's shelf one day, and I loved the artwork style," he says. "In fact, I was really close to buying a mint condition boxed Japanese copy a few months ago for about £60 but I got wrapped up in moving house so I put it on hold. I love that there are three different pieces of artwork for the game, but I kind of like the European one I did. It was a bit more realistic than the Killer Instinct models I'd made Previously."

So Era, which box art do you like the best? Even though the US one was rushed I do find it more appealing and mysterious with its cinematic closeup of Joanna with the cold red and blue tone compared to the PAL release. The composition and color palette of the Japanese box art is just stellar. Fits well with Japan's vertical box cases for the N64.

6Ili9NX.png

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese box is legendary. Easily one of my favourites of all time.

Between the EU and NA boxes, the NA box wins out for me. It may have been slapdashed together in a rush, but it works and has more style to it than the weird mishmash of art on the EU box.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The Japanese cover will always be the best one, imo. The North American and European ones are painfully generic while the Japanese one stands out.

Real interesting that it was Nintendo's call to change the cover in Japan and not Rare's. I'd love to hear the story of how they landed on that cover art specifically.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
None of them are particularly good, but the Japanese one is without a single doubt the best. The others are plain ugly early CGI.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
The Japanese box is clearly the superior one. I had the PAL version, which I easily prefer over the US one. The red border hurts that one.

All three are superior to PD Zero's box art

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the japanese cover is beautiful but it doesn't really connect with the game in any way

the other two are whatever, the US version at least has spoopy alien reflection in Joanna's eye

Context for Japanese Cover Design of Perfect Dark

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
It's important to note that the whole reason why the Japanese box is different is because the game was originally titled "Red & Black" over there, because "Perfect Dark" doesn't really translate well into Japanese.

They ended up going with the latter name regardless, but they still kept using that motif when marketing the game over there.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
It's important to note that the whole reason why the Japanese box is different is because the game was originally titled "Red & Black" over there, because "Perfect Dark" doesn't really translate well into Japanese.

They ended up going with the latter name regardless, but they still kept using that motif when marketing the game over there.
TIL. That's really interesting!

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The US one is probably my personal favorite as that's the one I grew up with and have the most nostalgia for. I just love that one. So badass and mysterious.

The Japanese one isn't bad either. It just doesn't feel connected to the game like somebody else said.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think Europe, the US and Japan all having different box art isn't a weird anomaly as you think.

Sonic 1 was just the first one that came to mind-- it's not even the only 16-bit Sonic game with different box art in EVERY territory (Sonic CD and Sonic 3 are the others).

On topic: Perfect Dark's Japanese one is easily one of the GOATs. I was in Japan right around when the game came out and saw the massive art on the main strip billboard in Akihabara. really left an impression.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Also worth noting that the US box art was also used in the Australian release. For whatever reason, the 64 is one of the few instances where the Australian box art mirrored the US more than Europe.

Might be purely due to nostalgia, but I prefer the American/Australian box art.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
I like the Japanese one the best but I don't see the connection at all. The other two are about generic as can be.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I think Europe, the US and Japan all having different box art isn't a weird anomaly as you think.

Sonic 1 was just the first one that came to mind-- it's not even the only 16-bit Sonic game with different box art in EVERY territory (Sonic CD and Sonic 3 are the others).

On topic: Perfect Dark's Japanese one is easily one of the GOATs. I was in Japan right around when the game came out and saw the massive art on the main strip billboard in Akihabara. really left an impression.

Yeah, I remember thinking most regions had different cover arts. Like that cool Resident Evil 4 one.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting that the US box art was also used in the Australian release. For whatever reason, the 64 is one of the few instances where the Australian box art mirrored the US more than Europe.

I thought it was weird I had no memory of the EU one.

I think I prefer it overall as well, despite liking the JP one too - it could just be nostalgia, but it seems like a reasonably iconic image compared to the EU's plain character render with no mystery, framing or narrative to it.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen the Japanese box before and it looks amazing..

Thanks for sharing

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I do like the US cover, the Japanese cover is just a whole different level. It's fantastic.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'm baffled that the US cover is not more beloved. I think it's one of the coolest box arts I've ever seen. Joanna's eyes with the gun looks dope and the alien reflection in her eye? Are you kidding me. 10/10 box art. I love that game so much.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EU is best, is notable of being one of the only games to not have the awful black border N64 boxes had.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day, box arts like Perfect Dark's weren't as ubiquitous as they are today, from my limited childhood recollection, so they made a much bigger impact on me. They felt oddly confident in how little they showed.

The US one is definitely the weakest. it's just a little too plain - but the eye is a very nice and subtle touch. EU one has more of a nice vibe going for it; and I really love how late era N64 games completely got rid of the borders of the N64 boxes. Banjo-Tooie also did this, and they're some of the most slick looking boxes the console had.

Obviously, the JP one is the best from a pure art standpoint. It's kind of obscure, but it's still just a great piece of art that's aged wonderfully.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The JP box is certainly very striking, but I wonder why "Red & Black" were the colors chosen for the Japanese name. I'd say the palette of the game has blue as the prevailing color. The US cover fits with that scheme, even if it's another iffy n64-era Rare CG render.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
While none of them are outright bad. The US boxart is easily the weakest. Which fits with it being done in just a day (Such a strict time limit could've resulted in something worst). The JPN one is really nice due to how the red pops on the box and the mystique around it.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The logo stands out more on the US box. Uses strong colours without being cartoonish/garish. Professional proportions reminiscent of a McDonalds or Ford ad.

The Japanese box is nice art, but doesn't match the vibe of the game. Feels slightly depressing.

PAL box is serviceable, but pretty dull.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've also never seen that Japanese boxart for the game. It's really awesome!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i don't even like perfect dark but i bought a magazine while in japan just so i could cut a full page ad out of it. it had a bigger shot of the cover on it.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

Nintendo of Australia was weird in that way, they'd mix and match all the time. Handheld stuff was almost always closer to the NA version than the EU version, from memory.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo of Australia was weird in that way, they'd mix and match all the time. Handheld stuff was almost always closer to the NA version than the EU version, from memory.

It makes it frustrating for collectors (at least aesthetically speaking). Since there's a number of games, particularly third party published games, that simply used the EU release boxes and slapped an Australian ratings logo on the front. So you get a mix of games with the US red and green style 64 boxes and the black EU style.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
First time seeing the jp cover, holy hell it's beautiful. Anyways JP>US>EU

JP Cover is good artwork in general, but as an advertisement for the game, I don't see how it's actually better than the US version.

US cover is iconic and also made a big impression when it was released. I still remember it well, and I knew what to expect from the game, based on that artwork.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The JP box is certainly very striking, but I wonder why "Red & Black" were the colors chosen for the Japanese name. I'd say the palette of the game has blue as the prevailing color. The US cover fits with that scheme, even if it's another iffy n64-era Rare CG render.

It's just edgier that way, with red implying blood and black implying darkness.

A lot of Japanese fans really hated that title, and they just happened to announce it around the same time that Kikkoman put out a barbecue sauce with the same name, so it was one of those early "internet rallies together to complain about something"-type events. They ended up mailing a petition with tens of thousands of signatures to Nintendo and they eventually changed the title back.

Sin & Punishment's title was directly inspired by Red and Black, as it happens.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Hate the Japanese one It doesn't look like a video game cover, nor does it feel like it represents the game well. Can't believe it's winning the poll...

Oct 25, 2017
What is that Japanese "cover" in the OP? Is that some poster? That's what it looks like, with that release date listed on it. It looks similar to the actual Japanese boxart, but it's definitely not the same as any Japanese Perfect Dark boxart I've seen, the text is different and it's missing the usual info text all N64 box fronts have -- memory card, rumble pak, etc.

Anyway, apart from that issue, I definitely prefer the US cover. The Japanese one doesn't really look like it has anything to do with the game; the "red and black" theme is kind of stylish but isn't anything like the look of the game, the woman clearly doesn't look much like Joanna Dark, and it kind of reminds me of the painfully oversexed (Western) Perfect Dark commercial... you know, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BtX2hOUGrw It's a fantastic game, but yeah that's a bad ad. There's a Japanese version of it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDxpbZMY_Xc That's not good.

So, it's between the US and Japanese ones. Between them, the black background of the US one may have happened because of a rushed deadline, but it fits the name and theme of the game really well -- Perfect Dark, with a mostly-black box? Fits perfectly! And yeah, that reflection in the eye is pretty cool. The European box has a better face model, but the rest of that box isn't as good, the added background scenery isn't an improvement.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
If I saw all 3 in a store right now I would want to play the Japanese one