• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ed_handheld_console_which_connects_to_your_tv

A brand new games console is about to burst onto the scene and, while it's still very early days, it looks like the Nintendo Switch might be about to receive a hybrid system rival.

Introducing Evercade, a "brand new handheld console with unique multi-game retro cartridges". At present, details on the new system are relatively slim, although an FAQ section has been posted on its website to provide a little more info.
Official site. http://evercade.co.uk

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can't see how this in any way is a rival to Switch but for retro games on the go it sounds interesting at least on paper.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hi, where are the new games?

There are none?

Good bye.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch about to get REKT by Evercade. Was a matter of time before Nintendo was knocked off their pedestal of a monopoly.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The way the worded this just reminded me of the Retro VGS.
We're retro gamers. We're a team of passionate gamers who want to create a single platform for retro gamers to enjoy their favourite games. We haven't developed this because we 'saw a gap in a market'. This is a project being developed with passion."
We are gamers, and seasoned industry professionals who have dedicated our careers to making great video games. We know first hand what it takes to get the major bugs out of games before they are released, and that player's should never need to download and install system updates and game patches.
evercade.original.jpg
  • Never patch a game. Games are tested thoroughly before release, just like they used to be.
  • Never update your system or risk turning it in to a brick. Your console stays factory fresh.
  • No network connection or game server(s) required. Never fear of your favorite game will get pulled and shut down!
  • No hidden costs from downloadable or streaming content.
But anyway, I wish them good luck.

Oct 27, 2017
While I doubt it will be any kind of Switch rival, I'm intrigued by the idea of "multi game retro cartridges", assuming they're actual SNES / Genesis style compilation carts that can work on original hardware in the same vein as Retro-Bit's Joe & Mac/ R-Type/Rushing Beat compilations.

Vegeta'sKakarot

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 11, 2019
Ooooooooh this sounds really cool actually! A pure retro emu box, hell yeah I'm in

It'd be the actual coolest shit if this actually got new retro-style games by big publishers, like how the GBA did back in the GC/PS2 era. I'd be so hyped goddamn

Jodast

Oct 25, 2017
The silhouette and article text just make it seem like a Supaboy with HDMI out added, and a new cartridge design. Hopefully it's a little more interesting than that though.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
New obscure systems! I love them.

People calling them rivals are crazy. But, these systems are great fun if priced well enough.

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
So it'll probably get some jaleco/snk/data east releases and whoever else is happy to licence their games to these things.

wonder if there'll be anything else

vcoleiro1

Oct 30, 2017
So there is no information on their website of who is behind the project. Looking around I cannot see any info on who they are.

Whois says they registered evercade.co.uk on April fools day ie April 1st. -> https://dig.whois.com.au/dwhois/evercade.co.uk

Their Facebook page also doesn't say who is behind the project. So I asked them who they were on Facebook and got this reply:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Well that resolves everything, nothing to worry about here, they gave me the thumbs up

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
A portable system that plays 8 bit and 16 bit games...

Not really a rival any more than any other retro game system

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
A hybrid that played original carts from a bunch of systems, had everdrive type rom carts for ones own backups, AND was getting new original games (presumably in a retro style) would be very interesting

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Life can be so crap sometimes. Why is this writer calling this a Switch rival and why is he uncritically parroting the marketing spiel for this? We've had so many scam gaming systems aimed at retro fans, a responsible website should not be publicising yet another potential one.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Nintendo Life giving this free advertisement and why are they calling it a potential Switch rival? Disappointing.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
We are gamers, and seasoned industry professionals
  • Never patch a game. Games are tested thoroughly before release, just like they used to be.
  • Never update your system or risk turning it in to a brick. Your console stays factory fresh.
Sure you are. I mean, all games released nowadays are not tested before release at all. I mean, patches were never a thing before 2005, and, apparently, neither was PC gaming (which has had patches for God knows how long).

This looks fishy af.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Q. What will the game selection be like?
A. Our focus has been quality and not quantity. While other retro platforms might be 'boasting' thousands of games, we have focused on signing major licenses – games which you will be excited to play (and own!). All killer – No filler.

...First announced cart is a compilation of 20 titles for 2600 and 7800, the majority of them almost nobody cares about.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Atari were doing their own shady console thing, why would they get into bed with this one too lol.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I know that a lot of these old arcade games are nostalgic for people, many of them even playable, but how can anyone really enjoy them in this day and age? For the most part they're kinda shit.

Especially being that indie devs have taken so much of what made those games great and have made "better" versions of them.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy one if they release cartridges packed with Commodore 64 games, so long as it has an audio jack

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Looks predictably naff and they're leading with a bunch of ancient Atari games that have been on dozens of compilations already? Oh dear.