• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like if the Switch is going to be doing stuff like this going forward, 5G in the next system would be a good idea.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I never really had issues with input lag on GeforceNOW. Of course, this all depends on several factors like having a good internet connection (and being wired to your network), and a good connection to servers.

No idea how comparable streaming on Switch is though.
Thanks, I should give GeforceNOW a shot one of these days

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The ones in Japan all run through Ubitus AFAIK. They also did Dragon Quest X on 3DS.
Ubitus, a company that specializes in streaming apps/games, is hosting this. They use Nvidia's Datacenter GPU servers to render/stream the games

Thanks! I figured it was the same company. I'm a bit surprised there was such a big gap in the releases. Do they run cloud gaming for other systems or Operating Systems?

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait the Switch version of Control has ray tracing? If it's using NVIDIA based centers for running the game then SURELY it must have RTX on.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
What are the specs of their services compared to staida, Luna etc
That I don't know, as they don't make that public. I do know they are one of the largest cloud providers in Japan. They've been in this game for a while now.

Interesting. With how big cloud gaming looks to be in the future it will be interesting to keep an eye on them and potential partnerships to bring titles to Switch.

They're a big player in Japan, and while they've done several games on the Switch, they mainly work on mobilizing games that are traditionally on console to mobile devices.

Ubitus Game Cloud

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Hitman III could actually work as a cloud game, not really sure about a heavy action game like Control

Get a better router since that or your gateway will induce the most input lag before it hits the back bone of your isp.

Some settings are making you slower than necessary
Others can be enable to minimize or deal or with lag.

Cloud gaming is fine. Only genre with something to complain are people in fighting games since all links need to be insanely for a good connection.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
This almost requires a LAN adapter I would assume. I'm not sure I've owned a device with a worse Wi-Fi adapter than the Switch.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
IIRC the only other game that has done this before is Resident Evil 7, and that was only in Japan.

It's very interesting to see Nintendo do this, but I will have to see how they run/work first, and also get background on who they are partnering with for this (Is it the developers? is it the publishers? Did Nintendo make a deal with Google or Amazon and nobody noticed?). This could be an interesting way to get games that would normally not hit Switch running on that platform. It could also be something Nintendo does down the line with their normal games, having players with an internet connection have access to the Cloud version with better specs, and then when they do not have the connection downscale to running off of the system's hardware.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC the only other game that has done this before is Resident Evil 7, and that was only in Japan.

It's very interesting to see Nintendo do this, but I will have to see how they run/work first, and also get background on who they are partnering with for this (Is it the developers? is it the publishers? Did Nintendo make a deal with Google or Amazon and nobody noticed?). This could be an interesting way to get games that would normally not hit Switch running on that platform. It could also be something Nintendo does down the line with their normal games, having players with an internet connection have access to the Cloud version with better specs, and then when they do not have the connection downscale to running off of the system's hardware.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Phantasy Star Online 2 are also available via the cloud in Japan.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I would be happy if future Switch games went with a physical/digital game and cloud game route

cloud game for weaker hardware and ordinary games for the more powerful

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If I could import my PS4 save Hitman 3 would be very tempting for some lounge play.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
That I don't know, as they don't make that public. I do know they are one of the largest cloud providers in Japan. They've been in this game for a while now.

They're a big player in Japan, and while they've done several games on the Switch, they mainly work on mobilizing games that are traditionally on console to mobile devices.

Ubitus Game Cloud

I guess that makes sense why they were initially focused on the Japanese market.

Any reason for the long drought in between releases? I would assume there is low risk in 3rd Parties offering their games via the service?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least they're getting their toes wet.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good news in my opinion. I hope it bombs, as I do not wish developers to get comfortable releasing cloud version of games and call it a day.

Sadly, this is a very probable outcome. It's a super cheap way to release games on Switchand if the floodgates are open, I expect even the smallest indies to take the easy route. Streaming is not the future but in the future we could have only Nintendo published games natively on Switch.

Switch owners who don't live in US and Japan will be totally screwed by this.

Apr 26, 2020
Just tried Control on the highest graphical settings and the latency is for me not really noticeable, sometimes a stutter when something needs to load, but i can live with that. It was indeed bit blurry will now try the performance mode

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good news in my opinion. I hope it bombs, as I do not wish developers to get comfortable releasing cloud version of games and call it a day.
Weird argument, the market for a native version is MUCH bigger than for a Cloud release.
Porting a game native to Switch will always have priority if possible - especially with the Switch Pro and Switch 2 incoming.

Its just an alternative option for games that wouldnt come to Switch anyway.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's awesome if you like queueing while keeping social distancing.

ElbE2psWMAA9oTP
That is just for the demo right?

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo isn't doing anything aside from approving these games. It's why I, and many others have stated, the thread title is misleading

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It makes sense given Nintendo's online issues, they probably don't want a ton of players playing the game concurrently.

Make sense if this is the only option, but kind of kills the "on the go" option of the Switch, then assuming this becomes a regular thing, trying to play a popular title but having to queue up would suck

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This works on the Switch's wifi?

I thought you needed to be tethered with a beastly internet connection to pull this kind of stuff off.

Someone should start offering these games on iPhone and iPads too. I think that could be a pretty decent market.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
If a game would otherwise never make it to the Switch, then I am find with cloud versions, even if they aren't the most ideal.

Playing some games on XCloud via my chromebook was actually pretty decent while away from home.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
All games can work as cloud games, I've played many on geforce now
This. I'm currently playing DOOM Eternal through xCloud and it works well. And DOOM Eternal is probably one of the the most demanding games when it comes to playing games over the cloud because of how fast and brutal the gameplay is. Every game can played this way.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
Tried to play this on wifi 2.4Ghz with my mobile in 4G sharing connection, and it works really well (of course it works way better on Wifi 5Ghz)

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

When it's the Switch, it's basically the only option if the dev doesn't want to compromise the specs of their game. Only problem is the required online connection kind of throws away the portable nature of the Switch, especially since most mobile WiFi networks (like hotspots on your phone) aren't nearly powerful enough to handle it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't like it on PS Now, don't like it now. Hope this doesn't dissuade companies from doing actual ports.