• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
No way.

Link or gtfo

EDIT: found it

LA-Noire-Switch-VR.jpg

Is this actually new? The LA Noire VR was announced at the same time as the Switch version, so I'm inclined to think it's just an asset mix-up, especially since if you clickthrough to the product page, it's for the standard version

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm really curious about BotW, but I just cannot imagine it being comfortable without a head strap. I don't want to be physically holding my Switch the whole time...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The reviews are positive but they also basically tell me I have no reason to get this as it is. Don't have kids and already have a PSVR. Seems kind of gimmicky but hopefully they can advance this into something... more interesting.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Nintendo Portugal leaked
LA Noir VR

Indicating that 3rd party devs have been working on Labo VR for awhile

LA Noire VR was fully designed around having hand presence and being able to move. Also, the specs required to run it on PC are pretty high. It didn't even get a PSVR version.

I can't imagine that as anything other than a mistake. They probably put that logo up there a long time ago and nobody noticed until now.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Despite the positive reviews, I cancelled my preorder earlier. I'm really only interested in BotW, so I figure I'll just wait for impressions of that before jumping in.

I do with the camera kit was the pack-in for the starter kit instead of the gun though.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

Switch apparently has gyro in the tablet itself

Wait, there's gyro in the unit itself, not just the joycons? I thought it was only the latter.
OK.... I didn't know that the tablet itself had gyros.
This has been known forever, it's on Nintendo's website that details the Switch and its features. Hahaha I even linked to it on the previous page:

The Switch tablet not having sensors in it is apparently a pretty widely held misconception:

The Switch itself has accelerometers, gyroscopes, and a brightness sensor. The no head strap is to keep kids from playing it for an extended periods. Nintendo could have very easily included one (as someone else pointed out, there are loops on the sides to build your own) but then the rating on the kit would have gone up. It being a viewer you have to hold limits playtime by design. Yes it's annoying and cumbersome for us older gamers but always remember with anything related to Labo - we are not the target audience.

Nintendo Switch™ console
Size: Approximately 4 inches high, 9.4 inches long, and 0.55 inches deep (with Joy-Con attached)
*The depth from the tip of the analog sticks to the tip of the ZL/ZR buttons is 1.12 inches
Weight: Approximately .66 lbs
(Approximately .88 lbs when Joy-Con controllers are attached)
Screen: Multi-touch capacitive touch screen / 6.2-inch LCD Screen / 1280 x 720
CPU/GPU: NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor
Storage: 32 GB of internal storage, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. Users can easily expand storage space using microSDHC or microSDXC cards up to 2TB (sold separately).
Wireless: Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac)(*) Bluetooth 4.1
(*In TV mode, Nintendo Switch systems can be connected with a wired LAN adapter - sold separately)
Video output: Up to 1080p via HDMI in TV mode, Up to 720p via built-in screen in tabletop mode and handheld mode
Audio output: Compatible with 5.1ch Linear PCM output
Output via HDMI connector in TV mode
Speakers: Stereo
Buttons: Power button / Volume button
Headphone/mic jack: 3.5mm audio jack
Game card slot: Nintendo Switch game cards
microSD card slot: Compatible with microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC memory cards
*Once the microSDXC card is inserted, a system update will be necessary. An Internet connection is required to perform this system update.
Sensor: Accelerometer, gyroscope, and brightness sensor
Operating environment: 41-95 degrees F / 20-80% humidity
Internal battery: Lithium-ion battery/4310mAh
Battery life Approximately 2.5 - 6.5 hours
*The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 3 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.Charging timeApproximately 3 hours
*When charging while the hardware is in sleep mode

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how many people didn't think the unit had gyro. I feel like I had to stop claiming it because nobody believed me or other posters.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how many people didn't think the unit had gyro. I feel like I had to stop claiming it because nobody believed me or other posters.

Yeah I remember people arguing with me about it in several of the previous Switch VR rumor threads. But this has been known for a long time, ever since the patent was filed.

Now, to be fair I'm not sure we've had an example of any software using the tablet's gyro until now so I guess it's a reasonable misconception.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I remember people arguing with me about it in several of the previous Switch VR rumor threads. But this has been known for a long time, ever since the patent was filed.

Now, to be fair I'm not sure we've had an example of any software using the tablet's gyro until now so I guess it's a reasonable misconception.
You can access the tablet gyros in Garage mode in any of the labo versions.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone commented on how well it fares with glasses? Is it wide enough to accommodate average sized glasses?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

There were quite a few retro and pinball games that started supporting vertical tablet mode 6 months after the Switch launched.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Switch apparently has gyro in the tablet itself

The gyros seem to work very well and smoothly in that clip since the blocks on the screen basically stay in the same position regardless of where the screen is tilted or moved around. It's like looking through a window, and even if the headset is only 3DoF, if it gets that aspect done well, VR on the Switch really could be a bit more than just a one-off gimmick.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The gyros seem to work very well and smoothly in that clip since the blocks on the screen basically stay in the same position regardless of where the screen is tilted or moved around. It's like looking through a window, and even if the headset is only 3DoF, if it gets that aspect done well, VR on the Switch really could be a bit more than just a one-off gimmick.

I remember making jokes about strapping a Wii U Gamepad to my face for VR. I was always very confused by people claiming Nintendo wasn't prepared for VR when they've been making games like Nintendoland, making 3D games on the 3DS and popularized split controllers with motion.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
The "shhhhhh" at the end... I'll take it as they have more Labo VR supported games under their sleeves?

Hopefully ARMS gets a patch. Head tracking view would be amazing for that game.

Also time for that Starfox Zero port. VR basically fixes its game pad controls into something interesting

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Imagine if they release the virtual boy games - one day inshallah.
The 2017 rumour that first talked about a Zelda: Links Awakening remake (although 3ds instead of switch at the time) also mentioned a Wario Land virtual boy remake developed by Skip, for what it's worth. It's the only rumour from that original batch that has yet to come true.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm making the OT on short notice so don't mind if I take some of these reviews and snippets, OP. I will credit you. Thank you!

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Interesting that in some of the reviews they comment on finding Nintendo's VR to be more immersive than other VR systems due to the clever use of the cardboard peripherals

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot - 7/10
+ Detailed, digestible instructions for building each cardboard device

+ Smart, clever use of existing tech that works with its limitations

+ Discovery Mode is a wonderful educational tool that teaches you how the tech works

+ Robust toolset with Toy-Con Garage, which lets you create your own VR experiences

- Low screen resolution results in mostly blurry visuals

- Only a few built-in minigames bring out the best in the tech

- Gyroscope drift can be frustrating for certain experiences

I'm making the OT on short notice so don't mind if I take some of these reviews and snippets, OP. I will credit you. Thank you!
Sure, take what you need. And thanks for making an OT!

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I bought the VR LABO today on the way home and built the goggles, but not the weapon bit (I got the cheaper set). I've been playing with the basic mini games and will try Zelda and Mario later if they're available (haven't checked).

I have an Oculus Rift so in comparison this is nothing, but the screen felt sharper than I expected. Then again my expectations were abysmal.

I'm busy now but I'll get back to it later.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Hopefully ARMS gets a patch. Head tracking view would be amazing for that game.

Also time for that Starfox Zero port. VR basically fixes its game pad controls into something interesting
Not sure how arms would work. If you're holding the joycons it wouldn't be able to head track as the.switch has no accelerometers. At best it would be arm.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how arms would work. If you're holding the joycons it wouldn't be able to head track as the.switch has no accelerometers. At best it would be arm.
It is a common misconception, here are the Switch breakdown by Nintendo :

Nintendo Switch™ console
Size: Approximately 4 inches high, 9.4 inches long, and 0.55 inches deep (with Joy-Con attached)
*The depth from the tip of the analog sticks to the tip of the ZL/ZR buttons is 1.12 inches
Weight: Approximately .66 lbs
(Approximately .88 lbs when Joy-Con controllers are attached)
Screen: Multi-touch capacitive touch screen / 6.2-inch LCD Screen / 1280 x 720
CPU/GPU: NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor
Storage: 32 GB of internal storage, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. Users can easily expand storage space using microSDHC or microSDXC cards up to 2TB (sold separately).
Wireless: Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac)(*) Bluetooth 4.1
(*In TV mode, Nintendo Switch systems can be connected with a wired LAN adapter - sold separately)
Video output: Up to 1080p via HDMI in TV mode, Up to 720p via built-in screen in tabletop mode and handheld mode
Audio output: Compatible with 5.1ch Linear PCM output
Output via HDMI connector in TV mode
Speakers: Stereo
Buttons: Power button / Volume button
Headphone/mic jack: 3.5mm audio jack
Game card slot: Nintendo Switch game cards
microSD card slot: Compatible with microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC memory cards
*Once the microSDXC card is inserted, a system update will be necessary. An Internet connection is required to perform this system update.
Sensor: Accelerometer, gyroscope, and brightness sensor
Operating environment: 41-95 degrees F / 20-80% humidity
Internal battery: Lithium-ion battery/4310mAh
Battery life Approximately 2.5 - 6.5 hours
*The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 3 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.Charging timeApproximately 3 hours
*When charging while the hardware is in sleep mode