• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Can I still play all the games with the starter kit? Only with th e joy cons without the toys?
No, because the other kits are basically fully-fledged accessories that the games require to function correctly. For example, the elephant one includes reflective stickers and a specific pattern marked on the cardboard to install them, so that the JoyCon camera can track its position in 3D space.Or the camera requires you rotate the "lens", which rotates a JoyCon, which would be quite hard while holding the JoyCon in front of your face while holding the headset against your face (especially as it has specific click points that keep it oriented the same way as the headset).

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Coverage:
http://www.consolecreatures.com/latest/review-nintendo-labo-vr-starter-kit-blaster/

No strap included, which is going to suck when playing a game like Breath of the Wild
That pretty much kills it for me. I wanted the $40 starter kit but only if the BOTW experience was solid. I don't want to keep my hands in the air for hours.

Either it was a mistake, leaving it out, or they never intended for the BOTW VR mode to be played for long periods, which is admitting it's a minor thing.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That pretty much kills it for me. I wanted the $40 starter kit but only if the BOTW experience was solid. I don't want to keep my hands in the air for hours.

BotW VR is mean to be something extra. We don't even know if it's full VR or just 3D right now. Labo VR isn't mean for playing for hours at a time, it's for kids and families to have bitesize 'my first VR' experiences and I assume part of the reason that it doesn't have a strap is because it's for kids 7+ and not the usual 12-13+ of other VR headsets.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Either it was a mistake, leaving it out, or they never intended for the BOTW VR mode to be played for long periods, which is admitting it's a minor thing.
you're not supposed to play the entirety of botw in VR, this is just a bonus extra to experience for 5 minutes and move on.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
The first really negative review from big German gaming site 4Players, I translated a couple more sentences that follow the quote from Metacritic.

4Players (German) - 4/10
The biggest problem is the low resolution screen with a 60 Hertz refresh rate, which produces nasty blurs on head movements. Is Nintendo secretly trying to sour people on VR in order to hurt Sony? Probably not, but combined with other problems this isn't exactly the kind of experience that will convert new customers to this nascent technology. One of those issues is the fact that you have to constantly hold the headset up against your face - what a genius move! It's like they are asking for collateral damage like tired arms, queasiness and burning eyes. Even the precise tracking, solid build quality and detailed instruction manuals can only do so much to alleviate the problems

Lol which Era member wrote this review? Either that or those complaints really resonated with this reviewer. I'm not a fan of Labo VR but it really would be some corporate petulant behavior for Nintendo to have an outlook such as that towards VR and Sony specifically. But it is quite amusing seeing that type of complaint in a professional review. Got a laugh from me :-P

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
CNET said:
I asked my oldest son, who worked on Labo with me a year ago, to rate the experience with Labo VR. He said he loved it, but he noticed that the pixels were "a little too big." Maybe a new Switch, he suggested, with smaller pixels and a new controller, could benefit better from a full VR headset?

Do you want a smaller field of view?

Because that's how you get a smaller field of view.

1/2 of 720p is going to have low pixel density.

JUNGLEGAMER

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
it comes with all the games on the cart, you just need to buy the expansions to build them.
No, because the other kits are basically fully-fledged accessories that the games require to function correctly. For example, the elephant one includes reflective stickers and a specific pattern marked on the cardboard to install them, so that the JoyCon camera can track its position in 3D space.Or the camera requires you rotate the "lens", which rotates a JoyCon, which would be quite hard while holding the JoyCon in front of your face while holding the headset against your face (especially as it has specific click points that keep it oriented the same way as the headset).
I think they'll be there in one cart, but you physically can't play them without the "hardware", so you can't play them

They're $20 each so if you really want another kit it's not too expensive
Got it thank you!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Given that even the Labo VR Kit allows you to play things in 2D without the goggles, I'd be surprised if Nintendo locks the new Odyssey mode to only be playable with VR.
Yeah, even if it's not officially compatible you'll be able to put it in 2d and just move the switch around to move the camera.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Better tech = better VR end of discussion. If you're fine with a cardboard box and a 720p screen more power to you, but that doesn't mean Labo provides an experience that is even in the same league as high end VR.

The fact that Labo encourages through the garage and provides out of the box custom controllers that fit every experience it does provide the best tactile experience out of any VR platform.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

The "holding it to your face to use it" thing is specifically designed that way, so that kids' arms will get tired and they'll have to take breaks. That's literally the reason there's no head strap - LABO VR is designed for children first and foremost. So while there will undoubtedly be 3rd party straps for older gamers to play all the live long day in VR, no, they never intended BOTW VR to be played for long periods. You [as a kid] are supposed to play until your arms get tired and then stop for a while, letting your eyes rest.

However, since it does seem to be a VR camera toggle and not just a side mode, once those straps come out you will most likely be able to play BOTW VR for as long as you want. Unless Nintendo built in a timer that literally doesn't let you play it for extended periods (which I doubt but honestly wouldn't be surprised by). Nintendo actually patented a VR headset 'dock' for the Switch before it came out so it wouldn't surprise me if at some point they even released their own, let alone third parties making them.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Enthusiast - 8/10
In the end, it's important to look at Labo VR for what it is. It's not comparable to the other VR sets on the market. The resolution is lackluster, and it's made out of cardboard! And if you understand that you're purchasing this set for the fun of building the goggles and Toy-Con constructs and playing short minigame-type experiences, then it's much easier to decide if it is worth the price of admission.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
The "holding it to your face to use it" thing is specifically designed that way, so that kids' arms will get tired and they'll have to take breaks. That's literally the reason there's no head strap - LABO VR is designed for children first and foremost. So while there will undoubtedly be 3rd party straps for older gamers to play all the live long day in VR, no, they never intended BOTW VR to be played for long periods. You [as a kid] are supposed to play until your arms get tired and then stop for a while, letting your eyes rest.

However, since it does seem to be a VR camera toggle and not just a side mode, once those straps come out you will most likely be able to play BOTW VR for as long as you want. Unless Nintendo built in a timer that literally doesn't let you play it for extended periods (which I doubt but honestly wouldn't be surprised by). Nintendo actually patented a VR headset 'dock' for the Switch before it came out so it wouldn't surprise me if at some point they even released their own, let alone third parties making them.

I thought the reason there was no headstrap was because the unit has to have to joycons on to detect movement, the tablet can't detect movement.

Oct 25, 2017

If you wish, the VR headset does come built in with loops on the sides so you can just do your own makeshift strap.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the reason there was no headstrap was because the unit has to have to joycons on to detect movement, the tablet can't detect movement.
The Switch tablet not having sensors in it is apparently a pretty widely held misconception:

The Switch itself has the same motion sensors inside it as the Joy-Cons, which is how the Hop Dodge frog game works which uses just the goggles and wind pedal

The Switch itself has accelerometers, gyroscopes, and a brightness sensor. The no head strap is to keep kids from playing it for an extended periods. Nintendo could have very easily included one (as someone else pointed out, there are loops on the sides to build your own) but then the rating on the kit would have gone up. It being a viewer you have to hold limits playtime by design. Yes it's annoying and cumbersome for us older gamers but always remember with anything related to Labo - we are not the target audience.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I own a Vive, dude. I'm well aware of the compromises this is making.

Then your take comes off as even more nonsensical. I've got one of these starter kits coming tomorrow cause I agree with your general assessment that quality of software should be a priority and we know Nintendo has that philosophy down pat, but ignoring how better tech can improve the range of experiences in VR especially as a Vive owner is baffling. Like, you should know roomscale is going to give a vastly more immersive experience based on your time with one. And ya know I'm someone that tends to tout more emphasis on seated VR experiences and don't agree at all with the oft-repeated "roomscale with tracked controllers or bust" mantra you see being thrown about here and elsewhere. Bottom line is something like Labo VR is fantastic coming from Nintendo because they're the king of gameplay especially wrt working around technical limitations so this form factor is kind of perfect (well, gimme a headstrap just the same :p) for them. No need to tout ridiculous things like the tech doesn't matter in VR though cause you know it does :)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing what else Nintendo has cooking for for VR.
I'm guessing it'll all depend on its performance in the market - but Nintendo essentially pioneered motion gaming and released the most popular 3D gaming platform to date so they have a ton of experience with both. There has to be some passion from their expertise leading to some neat ideas in the future.

Mario and Zelda being announced to get support before it even launched is a pretty strong vote of confidence, I'd say.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.newsweek.com/nintendo-labo-vr-kit-review-1393708
The Nintendo Labo VR Kit offers amazing, immersive VR technology, and its quick-to-build Toy-Cons feel satisfying and worthwhile to construct without putting too much strain on parents.

But the best part of the VR Kit is the games. Not only does each Toy-Con offer its own unique experience or two, there are 64 games to play in VR Plaza and the VR Garage gives inventive young game designers a chance to create their own. I just wish there was a way to strap the VR Goggles to your hea,d so you can play without tiring.

The VR Kit is the best set put out so far, and well worth a look if you've been intrigued by the Nintendo Labo.

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
How does Labo work in terms of software? Do I put the cart in, have it install to my Switch and then it's there without having to swap in future, or will I need to switch carts whenever I want to swap out the Labo software?

I'm digital only with my Switch so just wondered how it works with these.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does Labo work in terms of software? Do I put the cart in, have it install to my Switch and then it's there without having to swap in future, or will I need to switch carts whenever I want to swap out the Labo software?

I'm digital only with my Switch so just wondered how it works with these.
it's just like any other physical game, it has to be in the system for the labo software to work.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Even Luke likes it.

D604-CC8-A-3-E5-D-42-D3-968-D-3-E1330-ED35-F9.jpg

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Would really love to check this out, but being a single, kid-less person and a sort of minimalist, it's a pass. Really glad it exists though.

Given the glowing reviews, do you think gamers will get past "this isn't for me = this is dogshit" mentality they heaped on the previous Labo kits?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Would really love to check this out, but being a single, kid-less person and a sort of minimalist, it's a pass. Really glad it exists though.

Given the glowing reviews, do you think gamers will get past "this isn't for me = this is dogshit" mentality they heaped on the previous Labo kits?

The other Labo kits are also great. So I'm going with no.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, even if it's not officially compatible you'll be able to put it in 2d and just move the switch around to move the camera.
Yes, if that is the case, you wouldn't need any special attachments to view in 2D, but I think that a way Nintneo could "lock" the mode to VR is if it only displays the mode on the screen with a stereoscopic split. You could still technically play in 2D, but if Nintendo decided to not allow it to display normally for whatever reason, it would be split and distorted, which wouldn't look too great, but would still make the new levels technically playable.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I just love how so many VR enthusiasts are screaming about how Important is is for more expensive tech, and then Nintendo does this with cardboard and a 720p screen.
It's never about the tech, it's always those who make the games and the experiences.
You are on a crusade about this topic aren't you lol? You need to accept that both the high end and the low end matter. The high end to push the tech forward, and the low end to make it accessible to more people. I don't know who you're arguing with or where, but I have a feeling you're interpreting their wants and desires for more options on the high end as a total denouncement that the low end should exist.