• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I had hours of fun with these as a kid

view-master.jpg
Neat. But I think my skepticism regarding comfort does not need to be controversial or contradicted - just a musing.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Which brings up the first question that popped into my mind: isn't VR supposed to be recommended only for kids 12 and up? What exactly makes this any different?
I guess it's not considered actual VR because it's not immersive, and cannot be used for indefinite periods of time. The box says the VR modes are 7+, with the normal modes and assembly at 6+ with supervision.

So holding up VR goggles to your face, even as a child who cares little for quality in experiences, seems like a quick way to make someone unfcomfortable. CHild or not, holding something up to your face for extended periods is tiring and uncomfortable. I am not sure if that is a good design there.
I think that the primary angle here is distancing from the escapist nature of virtual reality. It reduces exclusive playtime, removes some of the "shut-out" aspect of 'true VR', and makes it so that the experience is easy to share around. Plus all games are playable without the VR mode (or at least some - the box implies that, as does the initial reveal trailer), and making the 'headset' less permanently bound to the play experience makes it easier to translate it to TV.

Deleted member 33409

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So holding up VR goggles to your face, even as a child who cares little for quality in experiences, seems like a quick way to make someone unfcomfortable. CHild or not, holding something up to your face for extended periods is tiring and uncomfortable. I am not sure if that is a good design there.

Nintendo couldn't do it otherwise because the Switch itself has an heavy body and that would hurt the neck after long sessions. Every other VR kit needs to be held by hands as you can see. Probably when a new lighter model will come in the future, maybe with a 1080p screen, they can do a proper affordable VR experience.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
but would you allow your kids to play with that nowadays and shape their opinion of VR with a subpar product and put the entire future of VR in jeopardy?
I agree, I think all parents should be made of the long term damage to the future of VR if they are even considering buying this for there children to play with. After all the future of VR is the most important thing that we all face at the moment and a frivolous cardboard toy for children could ruin it for us all!

flexicon

Nov 5, 2018
Oh I see we're still back at 2018 with these talking points. Has someone said "wait for the holidays, that's when Labo VR will shine" yet? Is P-Switch still here to harass sales eta, or is someone else that desperate enough to carry the torch?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's good enough for the artstyle of Labo games but don't expect a Resident Evil 7 port.
don't expect anything, this isn't a platform for vr games other than the 5 that will be included, unless there's some update to mario kart or something allowing you to use it in 1 or 2 nintendo games.
that's where most of the anger is coming from. some people are acting like this is nintendo's answer to psvr or occulus which is completely absurd. it's like if i was expecting nes mini or ps classic to comete with actual game consoles. makes 0 sense.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Could this be compatible with apps other than the Labo one?
YouTube could implement 360 video compatibility, like they did on PS4.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, I think all parents should be made of the long term damage to the future of VR if they are even considering buying this for there children to play with. After all the future of VR is the most important thing that we all face at the moment and a frivolous cardboard toy for children could ruin it for us all!
yeah i think we all agree that in all this, the sanctity of VR and the importance of its future and the role it will play in humanity is the most important thing, thus we shouldn't let anyone get close to an abomination like labo VR that will forever tarnish the image of VR for all eternity.
...chile please

Could this be compatible with apps other than the Labo one?
YouTube could implement 360 video compatibility, like they did on PS4.
probably not. i think (specially since they're marketing it to very young kids) nintendo wouldn't want to encourage using VR for long periods of time, and allowing it for youtube is asking for trouble.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
a, there's nothing wrong with that, unless are you a "big boy game" on a "big boy console" only type of person and
b, many people are saying that this isn't for them but a cool idea for kids.
Did I say it's wrong? you keep repeating that it's a toy for kids below 12 so what kind responses you expect on a gaming forum?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which brings up the first question that popped into my mind: isn't VR supposed to be recommended only for kids 12 and up? What exactly makes this any different?
i don't know, perhaps we should wait and see. my guess is the games here won't have head tracking or fast motions and would use mostly static camera views, so they won't cause nausea or motion sickness.

a weapon to surpass metal gear
D1BYGNGX0AAKZVK.jpg
tHiS Is gOiNg tO KiLl vR

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Ok, first off, the Switch isn't a phone. At the very least, no matter what VR application is being used, it'll be tailor fit to run at a locked 60fps (still yuck, but better than most every mobile phone VR solutions that feature wildly varying framerates).

Second, it's not going to look pretty. At all. 720p resolution being blown up to fill your FOV is about Oculus 1 levels of image quality, so likely to avoid making people sick, expect cruder rendering (simple shaded polygons, simpler lighting, harder edges, and some AA).

Also, I wouldn't expect anything more than 3 degrees of freedom. So, you'll be rotating in place, but nothing more. Can still be cool for shooting gallery type things, or software with aiming reticule you control with your head.

Side note: I hope that this gets used in a strap-on kind of way so that we can use the controllers in game. They won't be tracked, but the will have rotation in place, so even if they're fixed position in 3D space, you'll still be able to aim with them.

i don't know, perhaps we should wait and see. my guess is the games here won't have head tracking or fast motions and would use mostly static camera views, so they won't cause nausea or motion sickness.

tHiS Is gOiNg tO KiLl vR

No, the opposite. In order to prevent motion sickness, your head rotation will need to be tracked (via built in gyros). Your physical position in 3D space will likely be locked, so this means unless the game in question is going to also simulate a cockpit or something static as a reference point, you're probably not going to be in a game world that has you moving around much if at all.

If by "head tracking" you mean 6 degrees of movement (as in, you can literally walk around within the game) then yes, you're right. Unless there is inside-out tracking on this thing (lol, no there isn't), your experiences are going to be rudimentary. But, it doesn't mean they can't be fun or even immersive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
something tells me the games aren't designed around you having to pretend you're an elephant or a bird for more than a few minutes.

It's self explanatory, what are you reaching for here?
i'm not reaching for anything. it's obvious you're trying to be negative here, and were aiming to shame people into admitting they're excited for a "toy", as if that's something to be ashamed of. it obviously backfired.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
oh, i didn't know that. i still don't think they'll allow for labo VR functionality outside of the intended games, unless it's some small mode in a few nintendo games.
Well, I'm hopeful that YouTube at least brings it's Google Cardboard-compatible videos to the Switch app.
They've been great on PS4, releasing a patch for it to run on PSVR, and recently releasing another patch that allows for 360º video viewing without VR glasses.

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned, the Switch app already supports 360 videos, according to this Google FAQ: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9176176?hl=en

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the last Yoshi trailer and how they introduced the Labo vehicle, I think the game will be Labo VR compatible (probably with the canon to throw eggs).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why would a kid want this when they can just buy an actual bazooka?
Bazookas are too heavy for kids to properly aim and I've seen many kids get frustrated by the fact they seen to only be able to aim at the ground directly in front of them. This seems like a good solution to me, though I have to imagine the ammunition you can use with this will likely be to weak to impress some older children.

It is very silly seeing the backlash here, it's like everyone has forgotten how hard it was watching your big brother play with his bazooka in the backyard and being told you had to grow up before you could handle a high powered explosive of your own.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see we're still back at 2018 with these talking points. Has someone said "wait for the holidays, that's when Labo VR will shine" yet? Is P-Switch still here to harass sales eta, or is someone else that desperate enough to carry the torch?
i don't see anyone arguing that this is going to sell gangbusters. this may outsell the first kit (which sold 1 million) which would be decent result. you're just making up arguments to disagree with, no one's saying this is going to be labo's big break into being a 20 million seller hit.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Dreadful comparison really. Labo isn't going to screw over "real" VR, but it's going to be the worst VR experience by some measure. Even compared to Google Cardboard this will be pretty damn bad.

Nah. The only thing it'll suck at is visual fidelity. I promise you anything this'll have software experiences and performance consistency far exceeding what we've been getting with mobile phones using cardboard.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Labo thread always deliver. Lol

This will probably be some good tech demo. Will wait for preview before get this.

Oct 31, 2017
I think this will live or die on what it brings in terms of experience's , after all that is what VR is. It takes you to am imaginary place that makes you feel your there and not just watching.
Imagine playing duck hunt, Mario, and of course a Zelda world where your the actual person. The money breaker for me will be if this has made VR accessible to people that suffer from motion sickness and also is it legal for under 12s now, as PSVR and other forms are not!

If so how?

Oct 31, 2017
Emily was excited about this when she was talking about the then unannounced next Labo kit so given that I think this will be worth considering this time..

Oct 31, 2017
I must say thank you so much to the guy that leaked this info, and could you give us any other details of what the software is like it will come with?

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
but would you allow your kids to play with that nowadays and shape their opinion of VR with a subpar product and put the entire future of VR in jeopardy?
True, those view masters are no doubt responsible for my complete lack of caring about the shape of future VR and instead just wanting people to have fun

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Looking at the last Yoshi trailer and how they introduced the Labo vehicle, I think the game will be Labo VR compatible (probably with the canon to throw eggs).
Compatibility with Yoshi would be neat, but if we don't get a Duck Hunt eShop title or a VR mode in Metroid Prime Trilogy HD that makes use of the blaster (as it's the one Toy-Con that everyone will have if they buy the starter kit) the idea of adding VR compatibility to first-party titles would be meaningless.

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this is a Labo Kit and not a "serious" VR solution, with that screen and all it'd have been horrible and wouldn't have helped VR at all. But this will probably be some fun and short VR games/experiences with some Nintendo secret sauce added to it.

Not for me, but at least Nintendo isn't entirely omitting VR, the day Nintendo goes all in will be glorious! I remember when people were clamoring that PSVR would suck and would be detrimental to VR as a whole...good times!

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
why would anyone want to buy a stupid kid wearing a cardboard elephant face when for the price of a cinema ticket you can see an actual elephant with Dumbo™ soon in theaters
koE6yoT.png
Wait. Waiwaiwaiwait.

That's a tracking pattern on the 'face' of the 'elephant'. With the camera joycon facing it.

That's almost 100% a virtual art program. Two-stage tracking of action point position relative to camera, with angle tracking of fixed-length arm segments, and relative distance and orientation via tracking pattern in camera view.

The precision of the 6DOF tracking of the head itself doesn't matter much in this case, all that matters is that the action point is as 1:1 as possible to the viewpoint.
Sure, it's likely nowhere near Tilt Brush (mostly because the action point is fixed, you can't rotate your wrist), but it could definitely be something.