• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not? you know kids, they will play with this for a day and forget about it, at least with an actual VR headset the whole family can get some use out of it.
this is a VR toy, not a VR platform used to consume entertainment or play games for long periods. the VR headsets you're talking about aren't even suitable for the age group that labo targets, as their either 12 or 14 years and up.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced everyone in this thread knows what a child is
a child is a person who asks their parents for a ps4 pro, a psvr, and a copy of resident evil 7 gold edition. duh.
this is a toy aimed at kids. bringing up other headsets (which aren't even recommended for kids) is a completely disingenuous argument.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know children have options in consumer items too, right? Like, I don't know... Google Cardboard? Any other mobile VR headset? That has tons of child friendly VR content?
and now, they have labo VR as an option to also consider. it's great to have more options, right?
also this is a completely differnet product. it's not a general purpose VR platform meant to consume any VR content you want. it's a toy used to play like 5 specific games made by nintendo, plus it has the whole craft aspect where kids craft the toys.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
and now, they have labo VR as an option to also consider. it's great to have more options, right?
also this is a completely differnet product. it's not a general purpose VR platform meant to consume any VR content you want. it's a toy used to play like 5 specific games made by nintendo, plus it has the whole craft aspect where kids craft the toys.
This is exactly it. Why is this concept so difficult to grasp for some people?

Deleted member 11832

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be horrible shit. Probably so bad that it could completely kill VR in the eyes of the general public.

This is really bad for the medium.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
this is a VR toy, not a VR platform used to consume entertainment or play games for long periods. the VR headsets you're talking about aren't even suitable for the age group that labo targets, as their either 12 or 14 years and up.
A lot of people here seem to be excited for a toy then...

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
a child is a person who asks their parents for a ps4 pro, a psvr, and a copy of resident evil 7 gold edition. duh.
this is a toy aimed at kids. bringing up other headsets (which aren't even recommended for kids) is a completely disingenuous argument.

Which brings up the first question that popped into my mind: isn't VR supposed to be recommended only for kids 12 and up? What exactly makes this any different?

You know children have options in consumer items too, right? Like, I don't know... Google Cardboard? Any other mobile VR headset? That has tons of child friendly VR content?

You can make that exact same argument with Switch as a whole vs an iPhone. If you don't get the point and appeal of Nintendo products by now, this is unlikely to change your mind.

No, enjoy your vr kit.

How what I said was negative?

tenor.gif

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So holding up VR goggles to your face, even as a child who cares little for quality in experiences, seems like a quick way to make someone unfcomfortable. CHild or not, holding something up to your face for extended periods is tiring and uncomfortable. I am not sure if that is a good design there.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I've been thinking. Does the truck on that elephant mask get tracked in real time? If it doesn't how will that effect the emersion for pretending to be an elephant? Ridiculous that Nintendo would put out a VR elephant VR mask with out proper truck tracking.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be horrible shit. Probably so bad that it could completely kill VR in the eyes of the general public.

VR does not even live in the eyes of the general public. Honestly everything that generates a little awareness for VR could only be good.

Anyway, Labo is aimed at the tech, construction and gaming interested kids. And it really is one of the most interesting products that came out of the gaming business since it's beginning.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So holding up VR goglles to your face, even as a child who cares little for quality in experiences, seems like a quick way to make someone unfcomfortable. CHild or not, holding something up to your face for extended periods is tiring and uncomfortable. I am not sure if that is a good design there.

Actually that might answer my question above. If the time a kid can use this is limited by their arms tiring of holding up the goggles, that might alleviate the "long term use of VR effects on kids" concern.

I've been thinking. Does the truck on that elephant mask get tracked in real time? If it doesn't how will that effect the emersion for pretending to be an elephant? Ridiculous that Nintendo would put out a VR elephant VR mask with out proper truck tracking.

The thing has not one but two joycon attached to it, why would you think it's not tracked in real time?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people here seem to be excited for a toy then...
a, there's nothing wrong with that, unless are you a "big boy game" on a "big boy console" only type of person and
b, many people are saying that this isn't for them but a cool idea for kids.

How what I said was negative?
you've been nothing but negative itt, about something you don't even have any information on. you didn't even know labo has actual games. it's clear what you're doing.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is really bad news for elephant VR in general. It could be the end of it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lmao. for the nth time, if a toy has the power to change the perception of the whole medium of VR, then VR as a medium isn't worth shit.
if a bad movie can turn people off of films forever, then movies weren't that important or worthwhile in the first place.

Calling Labo craft is like calling assembling IKEA furniture joinery.
kids (and adults) enjoy making lego sets from the instruction booklets, don't they?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
This is some next level hiding of your head in the sand. This is literally a VR headset you put your face into and "shut the real world out". It's going directly up against Google Cardboard and the 3DOF headsets out there, even if it doesn't allow you to actually attach it to your head. I don't care if it's aimed at kids, because kids can just as easily use the other alternatives out there.

Using the Starmap app as an argument is ...baffling. That's not VR.

Tell me more about how the display tech isn't one of the most important parts in VR, though. I'd love to hear your arguments on that.
I guess I'm just... unspoiled? Like I'd imagine a typical kid could be. The most powerful handheld console I have is a hot pink GBA SP that I've resoldered twice to keep it working. I don't have a high-end PC... I don't even have a midrange PC. My "gaming rig" is a Win8 tablet PC hybrid from 2013. The most advanced phone I had was an LG Optimus L5, and that's since died - so I'm back to the eternal Nokia 6670. And so to me, the Starmap app is fun. It's not interactive, and it's not a game, and it really does only one thing, but I don't exactly have much else that is remotely comparable.

Not all people have the option to have a powerful PC and an expensive headset. Not all people have the option of having powerful consoles with VR capabilities, or expensive phones to slide into cheap headsets.

Some people, and some kids, may just have a Switch. And as far as making a fun product goes, I would trust Nintendo over any other company. Even with the times they've failed commercially, their track record for fun is better than just about anyone.

(edit: I mean, granted, their track record with VR is less than stellar. :P
However, unlike, say, Sega, they at least released their headset instead of quietly burying it.)

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to see this as a Labo Kit first and a VR experience second. You didn't see any piano players freak out because the variety kit isn't like a real instrument. The whole point of Labo is to do cool things with cardboard and some clever use of technology, and then learn how it works. That's it. VR enthusiasts freaking out about this is absolutely ridiculous.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I think people need to see this as a Labo Kit first and a VR experience second. You didn't see any piano players freak out because the variety kit isn't like a real instrument. The whole point of Labo is to do cool things with cardboard and some clever use of technology, and then learn how it works. That's it. VR enthusiasts freaking out about this is absolutely ridiculous.
But Toy-Con Piano killed the Piano industry

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
So holding up VR goggles to your face, even as a child who cares little for quality in experiences, seems like a quick way to make someone unfcomfortable. CHild or not, holding something up to your face for extended periods is tiring and uncomfortable. I am not sure if that is a good design there.
I had hours of fun with these as a kid

view-master.jpg