• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still, given the choice, I'd rather they created/sold a Nintendo branded version of something like Oculus GO for $199....than an $80 set like this. At least it would have more potential from a gaming perspective.
that's a completely different project. that would have been a platform they have to keep making games for and ask third parties to port their vr games to. this isn't a vr platform at all, it's just something they put out and be done with. they don't need to support it with further content.

Last edited:

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
It's going to be uncomfortable to use because there's no strap to hold to your face so you have to hold it the whole time
The visor kit has plastic rings on the sides that could be used to strap it to your face.

Also it's entirely intended to be that way, so that you cannot permanently strap it to your face (at least easily) and play for hours. It's a self-regulating playtime mechanism, for kids who can be adversely affected by VR.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering you have to hold the headset and attached cardboard with both hands, it's hard to see how Mario Kart would even work using any of the included kits.

For most Nintendo content you are going require a headset that doesn't need to be held..or a tripod stand ala Virtual boy (you wouldn't be able to turn you head then..but at least your hands would be free).
Ah fair point, I haven't looked too deeply into it. But I'm assuming they still have some sort of control when you're holding them up? Mario Kart can be done with motion controls even and there's also the auto-steering/accelerating they have put in Deluxe.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
The issue here is that you're comparing the use of a classic VR headset with this kit. You're not supposed to have it attached to your head, they're cameras. The "most phones perform better than Switch" bit would only be true if you're ignoring what mobile gaming really looks like compared to console.

But most importantly, setting up the thing IS part of the experience. That's literally the point of Labo.
I mean, my point is that the comfort of using it is going to be objectively worse worse than the most basic of vr headsets. Most phones have a far higher resolution screen that is also better quality. Have you played any 3d games on mobile recently? They look quite nice. The 720p screen will always hold back the switch in this situation no matter how much more polygons it could push. You would be better off buying any other labo kit since you'd end up with a better product.
The specs of the switch vs most phones available right now?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
That statement is addressing the implications of "it's for kids" in general which is a reductive statement and insulting to children.

My concerns lie with the quality of the Switch's screen and the form factor of this product given prior experiences with VR, not the idea of Labo in general nor the software which could have interesting ideas.

It's basically my first VR. I don't think anyone is expecting anything more from this.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's a kit that you build stuff with, beyond that no.
you build the kits to play the games included in the cartridge, using each kid to play a separate games. you can also make your own simplistic games using basic programming.

Making a new Splatoon is not as easy as just wanting it to succeed. Daemon x Machina will be another new Nintendo Ip that will flop to the oblivion.
DxM isn't a nintendo IP, they're just publishing it outside japan like they did for octopath.

Be interesting to see how it works / how good a VR experience it is, with Switch having low resolutions in a lot of games.
i feel like they will probably prioritize resolution in the mini games here to get to native 720p on the switch screen to make the VR experience as good as possible (which is not that good compared to other VR solutions but still), it's not like the mini games have to be graphically impressive and as a result have to run at sub native res.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The visor kit has plastic rings on the sides that could be used to strap it to your face.

Also it's entirely intended to be that way, so that you cannot permanently strap it to your face (at least easily) and play for hours. It's a self-regulating playtime mechanism, for kids who can be adversely affected by VR.

That's what I saw too...but it doesn't look like anywhere inside the Headset that eyelets can attach to on the other side.

I hope we can strap it somehow but the box contents leave me worried.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Reading some things back...

Anytime Nintendo announces something LABO related, whatever it is. To me it looks like there's this kind of curse that comes into play that makes grown up (?) people very, very angry about all sort of things that aren't really the point or related at all... I mean WHAT is happening people?

Nintendo produces entertainment for all ages, even if it's not the 4K experience you had hoped for along with the Switch Pro announcement. Yes, this is probably Google Cardboard but with a Nintendo sprinkle tossed in in the form of unique software designed to make the VR experience accessible to kids as well, I really respect it that they attempt this after they initially stated that they thought the VR market was not in a stage that they wanted to attempt this for themselves.

Seems like they found a way after all, blame them for trying.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering you have to hold the headset and attached cardboard with both hands, it's hard to see how Mario Kart would even work using any of the included kits.

For most Nintendo content you are going require a headset that doesn't need to be held..or a tripod stand ala Virtual boy (you wouldn't be able to turn you head then..but at least your hands would be free).
Check the kid with the yellow backdrop picture on the OP, you can hold the VR with the joy cons attached, thats mean you have access to the controls.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Is it social though? :P (which Reggie said about current VR some years ago, that it wasnt social).

On a more serious note, this looks like the most interesting Labo kit so far, in my opinion. Even if the resolution is pretty low for VR, it can still give the 3D-like feeling. We also had VR back in the 90s with even lower resolution. I remember trying it in mid 90s. Honestly, i cant remember too much from the experience itself (i only remember where i tried it, and that i was holding a handle-like controller, moving my head and that motion responded in what i saw in the game), but it was VR at least.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
That's what I saw too...but it doesn't look like anywhere inside the Headset that eyelets can attach to on the other side.
They actually seem to be a part of the lens assembly itself, the big premade plastic piece with the optics. I'd assume those rings are how the lenses are secured to the cardboard.

I'm also not sure how exactly securing them to something else would work in this case, but at least for the Toy-Con Robot, the same kind of eyelets are used as a hinge to secure the flip-up visor to the headband.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Based on looking at the basic specs for Google Cardboard compatible phone and the Switch? High persistence screen, very, very low resolution, subpar tracking etc. makes this by far the worst of the lot. Google Cardboard is the worst VR experience you can have already.

It'll be similar to Google Cardboard on a mid range smartphone.

...no? A mid range smartphone blows the Switch display tech out of the water. Switch easily has the power to provide simple VR experiences, but the display is dreadful for VR. Come on.

True if you just mean the screen. The Switch has a significant leg up on most smartphones simply because it has active cooling.

The screen is super super SUPER important when it comes to VR... Like, it's pretty much the most critical aspect of good VR.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Oh boy...

Labo is really dead! 100 % dead!

I mean, wtf is this?!? This even worse than the Virtual Boy.

With regular VR, people even complain about the fact that you need to wear something on your head. And now Nintendo wants people to constantly hold the Swtich + Toycons.

The only thing with a veeeery slight chance of saving Nintendo Labo was a Labo Sports, but this right here is just a complete death sentence.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
The amount of salty people with this announcement is just pathetic.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
The screen is super super SUPER important when it comes to VR... Like, it's pretty much the most critical aspect of good VR.
No... no it's not. It's really not, unless you strictly mean immersive VR, the kind where you put a helmet on your face and shut the real world out. I look at something as simple as the Starmap app on an Android tablet, and it's pretty awesome to me. No headset, no nothing, just a window into somewhere else that moves as I move and lets me look at things.

For a toy, it's much more important to be fun, engaging, and memorable.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo views themselves as a toy company, not a tech company, and it really shows with products like this.

Comparing this to something like Occulus is like comparing a Fisher-Price toy xylophone to a professional keyboard - in other words, it's a dumb comparison.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No... no it's not. It's really not, unless you strictly mean immersive VR, the kind where you put a helmet on your face and shut the real world out. I look at something as simple as the Starmap app on an Android tablet, and it's pretty awesome to me. No headset, no nothing, just a window into somewhere else that moves as I move and lets me look at things.

For a toy, it's much more important to be fun, engaging, and memorable.

This is some next level hiding of your head in the sand. This is literally a VR headset you put your face into and "shut the real world out". It's going directly up against Google Cardboard and the 3DOF headsets out there, even if it doesn't allow you to actually attach it to your head. I don't care if it's aimed at kids, because kids can just as easily use the other alternatives out there.

Using the Starmap app as an argument is ...baffling. That's not VR.

Tell me more about how the display tech isn't one of the most important parts in VR, though. I'd love to hear your arguments on that.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
At least the Virtual Boy came with a stand, so you wouldn't have to hold it all the time.

That stand made the Virtual Boy really uncomfortable to play, honestly. Always had to crane my neck a bit to play it, which would make it get sore after too long. The eyestrain wasn't nearly as bad as the neck pain I'd get from it.

Anyway, this looks fine for what it is. I'd like to see some footage of the games, though. If there's a VR Duck Hunt game in it, I'm in!

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Big fan of grown adults losing the plot in here over a child's toy AS PER USUAL.

I'm super curious to see it in action. I had a great laugh with the first Labo kit, and am keen to try this one too.

This is not a proper VR competitor, its Nintendo leveraging its strengths to produce something that appeals to tech and construction interested kids. If you're having a little cry over this announcement, just take a deep breath and remember the golden mantra: no one is forcing you to buy or engage with a n y t h i n g.