• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly if Labo VR Kit is damaging VR as a whole, then that tells you all you need to know about the techs mass market appeal.
What a stupid ass argument. That's like saying the Trabi damaged cars as a whole by being a POS car held together by duct tape and string.
I'm guessing the screendoor effect will be horrible.
Screendoor? Try chainlink fence

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Shame.

Not from the point of view that it's a fun toy for kids...but because I was hoping Nintendo would be releasing a standalone VR headset at some point in the next year or two, with decent first party support. This makes that look very unlikely.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Dreadful comparison really. Labo isn't going to screw over "real" VR, but it's going to be the worst VR experience by some measure. Even compared to Google Cardboard this will be pretty damn bad.

It'll be similar to Google Cardboard on a mid range smartphone.

It's a different entry option, technology isn't quite ready for VR in general (and the interest is also kinda fading away), so those who don't want to spend 200 to 800 dollars for a VR headset for their kids, they can buy this.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"worst VR experience"? how do you know all this?

Have you ever actually used or experienced any VR? The display and resolution can literally make all the difference, and this Labo VR will be by far the lowest resolution option that exists. Well, unless you used Google Cardbox on a low end 720p mobile device or something.

Arapho

Nov 25, 2018
that isn't what nintendo is going for at all. this isn't supposed to be a psvr type headset so games can get updated and be experienced in VR. technically it can't even happen cuz how are people supposed to control the games and view them in VR? there's no head strap.
They can just make Labo Minigames Pokémon/Zelda/Mario themed.

Oct 26, 2017
"worst VR experience"? how do you know all this?
Just going by the tech specs it is the de-facto worst VR you can get at the moment. 720p at 60fps... that is the lowest specs VR out there.
Will the games be fun? I guess they could... but the technical limitations are just undeniably bad.

I already think the PSVR is uncomfortably low resolution and frankly looks like absolute dogshit with it's heavy screendoor effect... this is going to be much much worse.

Again, the ideas for the toycons are actually quite clever, but the hardware itself is just not good enough to provide anything more than a novelty.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can just make Labo Minigames Pokémon/Zelda/Mario themed.
yeah that's true, but considering they didn't really utilize their existing IPs in past labo kits i'm not sure they're going to do it this time.

Have you ever actually used or experienced any VR? The display and resolution can literally make all the difference, and this Labo VR will be by far the lowest resolution option that exists. Well, unless you used Google Cardbox on a low end 720p mobile device or something.
i'm not talking about the technical aspects.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Still saddened that internal Nintendo resources are wasted towards Labo, which clearly hasn't taken off, instead of creating original IPs like Splatoon that had a better effect in bringing in kids and hardcore gamers alike.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still saddened that internal Nintendo resources are wasted towards Labo, which clearly hasn't taken off, instead of creating original IPs like Splatoon that had a better effect in bringing in kids and hardcore gamers alike.

They also created new IP like ARMS and 12 switch which failed to take off too

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the first set of Labo kits seemed kind of cool but this kinda looks ridiculous.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch screen have low resolution but at the same time a very good pixel quality. I tried Cardboard on a Samsung smartphone 720p with pentile and it was a mess. Even 1080 screen with pentile is not optimal.
But when I tested a mediacom smartphone with an 720p rgb 5inch screen, it was surprisingly good.
The only problem was the perception of resolution was similar to a 3DS, crisp but in low resolution.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The resolution is just too low for this to be anything but a curiosity.
that's true, but that's what it is, a curiosity and a toy for kids. nintendo isn't positioning this as an actual VR platform to showcase what VR can do or what nintendo has to offer in VR. people are just assuming that's the case, that this is supposed to be a serious attempt at VR from nintendo and then getting angry at the fact that it can't compete with other VR platforms. it's not supposed to, and it's not aimed at most of the people angry over this.

But in my opinion this is the only way it'll sell well
i agree. and not just for this, but past labo kits as well. i think if nintendo themed the mini games around their popular series that would have helped them sell more. they probably weren't sure about its success from beginning tho (and they weren't wrong) and it's not a good idea to attach your popular IPs to things that aren't going to perform to the standards of those series.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017

Maybe this one will take off more?..hard to say.

Still, given the choice, I'd rather they created/sold a Nintendo branded version of something like Oculus GO for $199....than an $80 set like this. At least it would have more potential from a gaming perspective.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Is this where I have to reply the sales figures for 1-2 switch being > 2.5 million and ARMS > 2 million?

Which doesn't mean I don't agree with the poster you replied to, Labo did ok, but below expectations, imo part of what to blame is the price of the switch unit itself - LABO is a great and innovative series but should've come later in it's lifetime when the console is cheaper.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aren't ARMS sales better that all Labo stuff combined?

It also had multitude times more marketing push and development budget than whatever Labo got.

Making a new Splatoon is not as easy as just wanting it to succeed. Daemon x Machina will be another new Nintendo Ip that will flop to the oblivion.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be similar to Google Cardboard on a mid range smartphone.

It's a different entry option, technology isn't quite ready for VR in general (and the interest is also kinda fading away), so those who don't want to spend 200 to 800 dollars for a VR headset for their kids, they can buy this.

If it's genuinely that good then I'm more reassured. Still think the large low res screen could be a challenge

Super interested to see how the interactions work. That was the best thing about the original Labo - tiny things like the clicking fishing rod reel and how the line on the screen changes to match the real line. That kind of attention to detail between real and virtual world could be amazing applied to VR

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the whole labo thing doesn't seem like a huge project, and most of the effort is probably going into engineering the hardware aspects and not the games, so it's not like it's personnel being taken away from proper games to work on labo. the four kits were probably planned and designed from the beginning, so i guess they'd rather want to release them and recoup some cost rather than shelving it. i expect this to be the last labo kit, unless it's a HUGE hit in which case they may do some expansions for labo VR.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
wow I can't believe we've got so many Nintendo playtesters who could try the thing months before here
Ah, didn't know I had to use it to know that.
It's going to be uncomfortable to use because there's no strap to hold to your face so you have to hold it the whole time
Technical wise, it's worse than google cardboard since most phones nowadays are gonna perform better than the switch
640x720 per eye is gonna look like straight garbage and make text unreadable

You'll have less setup time with higher payoff if you buy google cardboard and throw your phone in there as a parent

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
that's true, but that's what it is, a curiosity and a toy for kids. nintendo isn't positioning this as an actual VR platform to showcase what VR can do or what nintendo has to offer in VR. people are just assuming that's the case, that this is supposed to be a serious attempt at VR from nintendo and then getting angry at the fact that it can't compete with other VR platforms. it's not supposed to, and it's not aimed at most of the people angry over this
I mean yeah. You'd have to be amazingly deluded to think otherwise. It's a novelty, not Nintendo's answer to PSVR.
The reactions are par for the course though and not surprising at all. VR hasn't caught on as many of its evangelists had hoped, especially not the high end segment, so there is a lot of insecurity regarding the techs future (unfounded and overblown, but so are most fears)

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing I'm most excited about is the odd Nintendo main product supporting a mode for this. Mario Kart please.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this where I have to reply the sales figures for 1-2 switch being > 2.5 million and ARMS > 2 million?

Which doesn't mean I don't agree with the poster you replied to, Labo did ok, but below expectations, imo part of what to blame is the price of the switch unit itself - LABO is a great and innovative series but should've come later in it's lifetime when the console is cheaper.

It is easy to said in hindsight to keep making new IP and we will get a new Splatoon which sold 10 mil+.

But reality dont works like that. ARMS and 12 switch probably will never hit 3 to 4 million ever
So i am not sure why the need to said to just go make splatoon like it is guaranteed hit everytime.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what? not every game needs to sell 10 million units to be successful

but maybe that was sarcasm from you

I am arguing that saying go make another splatoon is just stupid statement. How many game end up becoming splatoon level there?
There is 0 reason why Labo is considered wasting resources when it probably sold 1 mil all in all and come close to arms and 12 switch overall.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
the whole labo thing doesn't seem like a huge project, and most of the effort is probably going into engineering the hardware aspects and not the games, so it's not like it's personnel being taken away from proper games to work on labo. the four kits were probably planned and designed from the beginning, so i guess they'd rather want to release them and recoup some cost rather than shelving it. i expect this to be the last labo kit, unless it's a HUGE hit in which case they may do some expansions for labo VR.

I think the software development is quite significant, given the number of mini-games produced. Nothing is cheaply done. The vehicular Labo kit even has an open-world of sort.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
off topic but for what they are, both were big successes. 1-2-switch sold way more than it had any right to, and for a new fighting IP on a new platform, arms sold really well. there are literally like 2 or 3 fighting games that can sell more than arms nowadays, and they're from old, massively popular IPs released to the huge combined userbase of ps4/xbo/pc.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, didn't know I had to use it to know that.
It's going to be uncomfortable to use because there's no strap to hold to your face so you have to hold it the whole time
Technical wise, it's worse than google cardboard since most phones nowadays are gonna perform better than the switch
640x720 per eye is gonna look like straight garbage and make text unreadable

You'll have less setup time with higher payoff if you buy google cardboard and throw your phone in there as a parent

The issue here is that you're comparing the use of a classic VR headset with this kit. You're not supposed to have it attached to your head, they're cameras. The "most phones perform better than Switch" bit would only be true if you're ignoring what mobile gaming really looks like compared to console.

But most importantly, setting up the thing IS part of the experience. That's literally the point of Labo.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
The thing I'm most excited about is the odd Nintendo main product supporting a mode for this. Mario Kart please.
Considering you have to hold the headset and attached cardboard with both hands, it's hard to see how Mario Kart would even work using any of the included kits.

For most Nintendo content you are going require a headset that doesn't need to be held..or a tripod stand ala Virtual boy (you wouldn't be able to turn you head then..but at least your hands would be free).

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I've come off fairly negative in this thread, but it IS cheap. I'll probably pick it up when it's released and give it a fair chance. I love VR, and even though this isn't my ideal version of Nintendo making a headset, I'm still really curious what they'll come up with software wise.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I mean yeah. You'd have to be amazingly deluded to think otherwise. It's a novelty, not Nintendo's answer to PSVR.
The reactions are par for the course though and not surprising at all. VR hasn't caught on as many of its evangelists had hoped, especially not the high end segment, so there is a lot of insecurity regarding the techs future (unfounded and overblown, but so are most fears)
As I mentioned a couple of hours ago. The word "Toy" is in the name of the product.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The issue I'm seeing is people are comparing it to a traditional VR set - it's still a toy like other Labo kits and isn't even attempting to offer a mainstream form of Virtual Reality. The unique point of Labo VR is how the peripherals become an extention of the headset but of course the actual VR experience isn't going to be high quality - and I don't think it's trying to be.