• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This is a cool idea, not sure the Switch's screen is good enough for VR though. Definitely the most interested I've been in a Labo kit.

I assume based on the art work that the elephant one is some kind of drawing game?

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. So they're actually jumping into it too. Okay. Can't be worse than the Virtual Boy.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Aside from the gripes about screen resolution, I just look at these kits and it makes me really skeptical about how long they expect people to play these. You're holding the Switch as well as the whole of the cardboard construction directly up to your face? That doesn't seem like it would be comfortable nor fun for more than a couple minutes. The games themselves had better be really quick to play with frequent breaks!

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's one way to try and get around the headset problem, make the headset itself a toy.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Now this is a VR kit I'll buy over Oculus and PSVR. Nintendo looking for a lowkey VR product to get more people into VR. I like the strategy better than Sony's

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Given how heavy a Nintendo Switch would be in that I guess it makes sense that the experiences have you holding the headset.

I've never tried Google Carboard but maybe there's something to an experience like that?

Oct 25, 2017
Just $40 is pretty nice.
Guessing they'll add more content to this if it does well, each of the additional sets are $20. Full thing $80

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, the competitor to Google Cardboard I was waiting for!

Looks neat

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
before melting down just try to remember that this is supposed to be a 10 minute time killer thing for curious kids. its probably not for you and thats ok

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck they did it.

Isn't the Switch significantly underpowered for this task?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
lhWOArv.png

Dude I can't stop thinking about this. What the fuck, who thought this was ok.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
I've used a cardboard vr headset with my iPhone X, which has a screen resolution of 2436x1125. It looks utterly dreadful, far, far too low resolution to be usable for anything.

The maximum resolution of a DOCKED switch is 1920x1080. The switch handheld tops out at 1280x720.

Let that sink in for a second...

Even the PS4 VR headset is 1920x1080, and that looks poor at times.

This......... This is bad news :(

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
nintendo just dropping vr cardboard news on twitter at random lmao

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This should be interesting lol. Honestly though, as a Labo kit I think this makes total sense and pretty much the only way VR on Switch would make sense. They should be able to do some fun little things with it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that accounts for all of the kits shown off in the Labo reveal trailer last year, if there are going to be any more we haven't seen them yet

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've used a cardboard vr headset with my iPhone X, which has a screen resolution of 2436x1125. It looks utterly dreadful, far, far too low resolution to be usable for anything.

The maximum resolution of a DOCKED switch is 1960x1080. The switch handheld tops out at 1280x720.

Let that sink in for a second...

Even the PS4 VR headset is 1920x1080, and that looks poor at times.

This......... This is bad news :(

It's meant for kids not enthusiast gamers who are willing to spend hundreds on VR.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
LMAO at the grown humans in this thread thinking this is a serious entry into hardcore VR gaming
It's a fun toy for kids. Lighten up

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I guess nintendo doesn't realize the only reason it kinda works with phones is that they have a high resolution OLED screen. Last thing someone wants to do is to stare at an LCD screen which won't even push more than 480p per eye.

LMAO at the grown humans in this thread thinking this is a serious entry into hardcore VR gaming
It's a fun toy for kids. Lighten up
the kid's phone is probably gonna do better VR and weigh less