• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This is for the Variety Kit, Robot Kit, Vehicle Kit, and VR Starter Kit.

VR Compatible Games:

Super Mario Odyssey
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Spice & Wolf VR
Neonwall
Rooms: The Adventure of Anne & George

Last edited:

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
Vehicle and VR kits are fantastic, and highly recommended. Both offer plenty to do, even outside of the joy of crafting them.

Vehicle has an interesting open world to explore, with plenty of missions to do spread across the different vehicles (plane, car, and submarine). It's fun to quickly swap between the different vehicles as you make your way around the island, and there's even some limited co-op if you have another right side Joy-Con.

The VR stuff is a trip, and while obviously has its limits in presentation and immersion, it has that Nintendo touch you'd hope for. Lots of little things to do, and they even have some extra downloadable mini games that you obtain from the Switch News Feed (the process is a little tedious, as you're saving them into the Labor Garage area, but you grow to accept it).

EDIT: Hmm, I missed that this is the VR Starter kit. I'd still argue that the $20 is fair, but be aware that you'd need to pick up the rest from Nintendo's Online store (which I don't believe is shipping physical orders ATM) if you were interested.

Last edited:

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
In for VR. Already own the Variety Kit. I've only really messed with the piano, but it's worth it for that alone.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Bomba :(

At that price, it is 100% worth picking up. I bought it day one and got a lot of value out of building things, but the gimmick wore off pretty quickly once I was done. I do understand however that I am not really in their target demographic for this product, but I did love the building process.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Got all the other ones when they dropped to $20 at Target a while back.

Picking up the VR one for $5 thanks to a gift certificate I was sitting on.

EDIT: Got them for my daughter.. it was a blast building them, reminded me of the old model kit days :) Smart design, kinda like Transformers -- how do they plan this design stuff out?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
VR is the best one. Works with a variety of games and Nintendo has had downloadable games on the News app for months now. I wish I had bought a second VR kit honestly, because the cardboard deteriorates over time (and children).

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I really can't recommend Labo VR enough, especially at that stupid low price. I have an Oculus Quest, but have had way more fun with Labo VR. It knows exactly what it is and works within those limits, while surprising you at the same time.

I'll die on the hill of BotW legitimately being one of my favorite headset-based experiences

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't recommend Labo VR enough, especially at that stupid low price. I have an Oculus Quest, but have had way more fun with Labo VR. It knows exactly what it is and works within those limits, while surprising you at the same time.
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
If it was the VR variety pack I would have jumped on it, but the starter pack is too barebones for 20. I'll wait until I can find the full set.

Took advantage of this last year when they dropped down to 20 each, and overall I found them way too basic for my liking. Usually Nintendo goes all out with the little arcadey intricacies of these games, like with the AR games, wii minigame collections, or just Nintendoland, but there's barely any of that here. It's all good fun for a little bit, but the amount of stuff you can do grows pretty thin pretty fast for a Nintendo "toy" game, all things considered.

I did build them with my younger siblings, though, and had a blast that way. That's what they were made for in the first place, so I'm glad I got the chance to see them ooh and aah at a cool contraption they could build with their game systems, before they grow older and take everything for granted, like we do nowadays...

uc03HNk.gif

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If it was the VR variety pack I would have jumped on it, but the starter pack is too barebones for 20. I'll wait until I can find the full set.

Honestly, I think the full set is either seasonal or just out completely out of print now. I know it was hard to get for awhile last year and then there was a shipment during the holidays. Since then though, it hasn't been in stock. Amazon is out. Best Buy has a page indicating it's discontinued. Walmart is out. Nintendo's own online store has removed the product page for it. The only place that has it in stock is GameStop at $79.99.

I think at this point you either get it for $20 and get the add ons separately, pay $80 for the whole thing while it is still available from Gamestop, or just pass on it all together.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of fun with the Variety kit and it sounds like an amazing treat for quarantine times, especially if you have kids.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So, can you download the "extra games" (via the News app) if you only have the VR starter kit (aka Blaster only)?

Or do you need the other cardboard configurations to utilize those games?

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Already had VR and the variety kit, so I went ahead and ordered that robot backpack. It'll be cool to display.

rundisneyrpg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a no brainer for me. Saving 100 dollars and providing hours of entertainment for boy girl twins who are five when we're stuck inside for another month or two.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Got the VR and vehicle kits. Figure the vehicle will be good for my son to help with and I want to try the VR kit even if it is basic (do the 64 or whatever bite sized games work with just the headset or do you all the kits?)

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I spent dozens hours building them. Spent 30m using them. Taking a lot of place now. Useless imho

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California

I'll die on the hill of BotW legitimately being one of my favorite headset-based experiences
100% agree

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I went to order the VR Starter kit and discovered I had a reward certificate, so it only cost me ten bucks! I would have preferred the full VR kit (as I'm worried about the availability of the separate expansion kits), but for that price I couldn't pass it up.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
They were cool and my kids liked (watching me) build them, but the build time lasted way longer than their interest in the game. And they are so hard to store once assembled. Even for $20 I think I'll pass.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
picked up two for my nephew that is currently borrowing my phat switch, while i kept my lite. i have no interest personally.

do they still give gold points? i'll open them and yoink them if so.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't give me the option for delivery, only store pick up 3 hours from here lol. Gonna skip it.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Hands-down yes. The resolution is obviously not great, but $20 (hell, even the $40 MSRP) is a crazy good price for those curious about VR. Big games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Smash all have modes for the goggles as well; the former can be played entirely in VR if you want.
Thanks, ordered!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Either sold out or not available within 250 miles. :(
Was hoping for a second variety kit. My kid might actually be able to handle some of the games now.

Oct 27, 2017
The vr lets you make your own games - vr and non-vr games. It's pretty cool, and at that price each kit will only cost you more in time to build.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does VR work in Mario and Zelda? You can't play the whole game in VR can you?