• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
Does he have data for this or is he just pulling things out of thin air because it's what he assumes.

Nintendo released data way back in 2017 which showed 30% play more in handheld than home mode. More, not exclusively.

We do know that the hybrid model has been consistentld selling out the Lite version, despite being more supply constrained.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
So we are gonna have more SKUs coming soon since he wants to take one away and he's always wrong. It's also definitely gonna plug into the tv

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately don't understand how Pachter still has a job with how awful his track record is. Like does he have a rich family member propping him up or something?

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Pachter is one of the (many) reasons I wish Era had an "mute word" function

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you suggest getting rid of the regular switch and then suggest bringing it back in the same sentence.

Also what was that pachter meme with the duck picture with the dotted lines. Always picture that when I see his name

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I mostly play handheld and I can see this is a horrible idea. Doesn't the switch sell much better than the lite for one? People like choices and will pay extra to have it.

Aug 13, 2019
"But I don't think most people play it in both modes, I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes; and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only. So I honestly don't understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld."​
You can fuck right off with trying to force me to play anything on that small ass screen.​

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I legitimately don't understand how Pachter still has a job with how awful his track record is. Like does he have a rich family member propping him up or something?

It's mostly because his industry is more about making companies feel good about their decisions or strategies than reporting accurate data. Corporate executives are addicted to having their balls coddled.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Sounds like something my uneducated parents would say, but this guys getting paid to do it.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're not talking about hypothetical consoles though. We're talking about the fact that the Switch Lite is currently the worse selling iteration.

... Yes, because a docked only version never existed. Like, obviously it's a bad idea to drop the original, but Nintendo having more success with handhelds than consoles has been the case for literally every generation. In (and I must stress only in) the case where something went apocalypticly wrong and they had to pick one or the other, the handheld would be the way to go.

Of course, that hasn't happened, won't happen, and so the current dockable handheld is the smart path to keep going along.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I only use switch in docked mode, so if they only had switch lite, I'd just skip nintendo completely. Terrible opinion and alienates people like me.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
One of the main things about nintendo consoles that makes parents love them is because the majority of the games can be played multiplayer, that's why NSMB Wii sold 30 million units compared to how ever many odyssey sold. Parents know if they get a nintendo little Jimmy, Janie, Johny, and Clyde can all play together and be out of the parent's hair for a bit.

But I'm forgetting if you take that away that just means they'll have to buy switches for each kid! It just makes business sense to fuck over parents. Patcher truly knows what he's talking about!

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer the opposite, please. No dock, just a 100% beefed up home console version.

If Nintendo only went handheld I'd be done with them entirely.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I use my Switch in docked mode 95% of the time and my mom only uses hers docked because she has trouble seeing things on the Lite - that's right, she has both.

What a dumb take.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
It's statements like these that make me convinced that Pachter is really saying these things to push a particular narrative or to put out intentionally bad advice for certain companies. Serkan Toto has noted other analysts doing this sort of thing as well.

Nobody is stupid enough to advise to get rid of your best selling iteration, this has to be intentional.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I mean at this point the only explanation is that he sat on his fluffy couch and saw that people were about to hand the "worst take 2020" award to Alex Hutchinson, and he nearly dropped his crystal champagne flute and shouted "not on my watch!!!".

I think he saw the Stadia guy's tweet go viral and thought 'Hold my beer.'

Man, two brains hit by the same inspiration particle!

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Sometime i wonder how he is still an analyst. So many wrong takes. He isnt that Smart.

Because he's not an analyst for the games industry. His position with Wedbush is to specifically monitor tech starter companies that have not yet gone public and to say if he thinks they will go big or not. The reason why he doesn't publicize this information is because his information isn't for the press or general public, its for other companies within the industry. If you want his opinion on this, please pay him.

Video game companies are just a hobby for him since he plays games himself, and sites use him as a source because he's an analyst, so it gets them clicks. In essence, his opinions matter about as much as your average Era poster.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
This is painful. Just what is he on about.

Scrap the dual function package, to sell a handheld only console, but then sell an add on that allows for dual functionalit of the package that you just scrapped.

How about Nintendo maintains the two different options and continue with consumer choice. They're both selling well.

The more I read the statement, the more it hurts my brain.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
And I'm over here thinking about how awesome a Switch Pro that is not handheld would be. SSD, 1TB storage and 4K/60FPS?

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
"Nintendo isn't that smart" then immediately says they should get rid of the dock (the way you play on TV) and then offer a way to play on TV via a dongle.

Michael. Shut the hell up, dude.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Because he's not an analyst for the games industry. His position with Wedbush is to specifically monitor tech starter companies that have not yet gone public and to say if he thinks they will go big or not. The reason why he doesn't publicize this information is because his information isn't for the press or general public, its for other companies within the industry. If you want his opinion on this, please pay him.

Video game companies are just a hobby for him since he plays games himself, and sites use him as a source because he's an analyst, so it gets them clicks. In essence, his opinions matter about as much as your average Era poster.
oh my god til

he's literally just a forum shitposter

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
My take: "Pachter isn't that smart"
giphy.gif

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure he isn't such a dumbass behind closed doors when talking to his paying clients but his public pronouncements ( I remember his concern trolling over Switch sales possibly not hitting target in 2018 and estimating something like only 7 or 8 million Switches would sell that year ) and predictions come off as trollish. Maybe this is how he truly feels when he doesn't have to act like a professional

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They should stop producing something that even they cannot produce enough to fulfill demand and that ends up scalped every so often. Wow. That's another level of hot takes. It probably is burning my fingers right now.