• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Definitely had overwatch in my news feed for both us and jp accounts on my switch.

But the news feed is unified. Apparently if you have multiple accounts from different regions, you will get content from both.
There is no user selection when you enter the news feed.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
If this amounts to "Nintendo isn't actively promoting Overwatch on US platforms" I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to say about whom.

Jun 26, 2018
The initial observation was that Nintendo isn't really pushing the game on social media, even in comparison to the Witcher. The "Nintendo stands with Hong Kong" narrative is a total straw man, it's just Nintendo is likely distancing themselves from a currently sensitive topic.

I just found the idea of praising a company for "maybe" allowing refunds on 1 game to be such a fucking crystal clear example of blind corporate loyalty that I was a little shocked. Like I get that people dislike blizzard because of Blizzard choosing money over supporting democracy or whatever and that they want to see anything tear them down, but heaping praise on Nintendo for "maybe" doing something they should do regardless of the circumstances is fucking embarrassing.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This thread will be interesting 2 years from now when people complain about diablo4 not coming to switch.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
But the news feed is unified. Apparently if you have multiple accounts from different regions, you will get content from both.
There is no user selection when you enter the news feed.
What i mean is, i have the promo in english and in another spot in japanese, meaning it's posting them in both regions.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fake news? Nintendo is advertising and featuring Overwatch on my Switch (US only account).

It's also on the front page of Nintendo.com: https://www.nintendo.com/

I get everyone hates Blizzard now but no reason to spread this nonsense.

Edit: Nintendo also allowed a full game refund to me, no questions asked, for MK11. They will refund games but they will only do it very few times for your account.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I think this thread jumped the gun. There's a pretty clear Overwatch promotion in the news feed now?

EDIT: Whoops, just read the last page. It's been there for a bit it looks like.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This seems like a really big stretch. We want to see what we want to see because of the controversy surrounding Blizzard. Nintendo not saying anything doesn't lead me to believe that this is a targeted response or anything. I mean...They're still selling the game. Not really a big stance against Blizzard there.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Well first of all, there hasn't been any Nintendo character that has been officially 100% confirmed as LGBT. If at all anything, they make their characters ambiguous. So even if a game was released in China, the 'worldwide' version of the character wouldn't be LGBT in the first place.

This is completely different from the Blizzard case. Blizzard is trying to market itself as LGBT friendly and win those pink dollars by announcing several characters as LGBT. But then they completely backtrack when it comes to China. This tells me that Blizzard is not doing it for the moral ground, but rather for the money from us LGBT consumers. Maybe from the story and developer level it did begin from a moral and all equality standpoint. But when it comes to the senior executive level, its all about that money.
You do remember this right?

I mean their rule sounds really familiar but I just cant place it.
I mean people constantly dote on Nintendo in here forgetting numerous racist fuck ups and lgbt mis steps.
Do they fix them eventually? Yeah but nobody seems to want to give Blizzard that chance. But the blind Nintendo fapping is embarrassing

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a really big stretch. We want to see what we want to see because of the controversy surrounding Blizzard. Nintendo not saying anything doesn't lead me to believe that this is a targeted response or anything. I mean...They're still selling the game. Not really a big stance against Blizzard there.
Especially considering it's being actively promoted rn in news feeds and in the store, AND it's on their website.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): inflammatory generalization
Most people on Era are fucking stupid and want to have drama surrounding everything. That's it.

Oct 27, 2017
Some extremely charitable reads here - this only seems like Nintendo might be doing some minimal moves to avoid being entangled in a PR disaster. It's not like they've made a statement in support of HK protesters or something. It's much more likely that Nintendo is just doing what it usually does as a fairly conservative (in terms of risk) Japanese company and avoiding/skirting an issue.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I wonder also would it be Nintendo not wanting to get involved in the drama or perhaps since Nintendo is partner with Tencent maybe china is mad that Blizzard gave Blitz his winnings back and reduced the ban and that is why Nintendo was told not to support Overwatch .
Or maybe it is the lunacy of the thready affecting me.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, as a test tried to checkout on the eshop in my browser, US, and it threw up an error code when trying to checkout, wonder what they're doing

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Fake news? Nintendo is advertising and featuring Overwatch on my Switch (US only account).

It's also on the front page of Nintendo.com: https://www.nintendo.com/

I get everyone hates Blizzard now but no reason to spread this nonsense.

Edit: Nintendo also allowed a full game refund to me, no questions asked, for MK11. They will refund games but they will only do it very few times for your account.

First slide, top of the page, huge ad. Lmao.

The discourse is causing people to see things in the clouds.

Last edited:

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
It's not different in Germany. That checkbox is meaningless.
Not really: "Das bedeutet: Händler können das Widerrufsrecht nach § 356 Abs. 5 BGB für digitale Ware zum Erlöschen bringen. Das Erlöschen des Widerrufsrechts nach § 356 Abs. 5 BGB setzt allerdings voraus, dass der Händler den Verbraucher ausführlich darüber aufklärt, dass er sein Widerrufsrecht verliert, wenn er an die digitalen Inhalte kommen möchte." Source: https://www.it-recht-kanzlei.de/digitale-inhalte-widerruf.html

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have a sneaking suspicion that Nintendo cares not so much about the obvious political situation with Blizzard, and is leaning more on the side of preventative caution as the game just simply doesn't run well on Switch. It isn't necessarily a good look when a 3 year old game runs like ass on your console in every way imaginable: unacceptable model pop-in (red orbs used to signify players whose models have not loaded in yet), crappy Wi-Fi connectivity, and imprecise controls.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was noticing this as first, but yesterday and today I finally started seeing at least a little blurb on it on my switch news. US. It does seem like they're barely pushing it though.

I mean I get why they may take that stance, but it's not like Nintendo doesn't suck on China's teet too. Just not as overtly I guess, so they gotta make it seem like they're completely separated to the standard audience.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably should get a mod to update the title no? Given this is pretty much a crock of shit.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Do you honestly think Nintendo could just decide to not sell the game if they didn't want to? They have to have some kind of agreement in place with Blizzard/Activision for selling the game in some capacity. Id be very surprised if they could just decide one day to remove it barring something beyond what we're talking about here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you honestly think Nintendo could just decide to not sell the game if they didn't want to? They have to have some kind of agreement in place with Blizzard/Activision for selling the game in some capacity. Id be very surprised if they could just decide one day to remove it barring something beyond what we're talking about here.
Sure, there's probably a contract in place so they have to sell the game or pay Blizzard some sort fine to break said contract. That being said, again. There is absolutely no indication that any of this is Nintendo being a good guy or anything of the sort. The issues with Blizzard are severe and should be taken to task as they have been, but Nintendo not promoting the game is literally the least they could do. People are just wanting to see what they want to see from Nintendo, their silence means nothing.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Sure, there's probably a contract in place so they have to sell the game or pay Blizzard some sort fine to break said contract. That being said, again. There is absolutely no indication that any of this is Nintendo being a good guy or anything of the sort. The issues with Blizzard are severe and should be taken to task as they have been, but Nintendo not promoting the game is literally the least they could do. People are just wanting to see what they want to see from Nintendo, their silence means nothing.
What would you like to see them do, that we can all agree is perfectly viable as an option for them? I don't disagree with your premise, but I'm just wondering if you think there's a lot more they could easily do that they're simply choosing not to. You say not promoting it is the least they could do, which implies (to me at least) that you feel there's far more they could do if they wanted.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
What would you like to see them do, that we can all agree is perfectly viable as an option for them? I don't disagree with your premise, but I'm just wondering if you think there's a lot more they could easily do that they're simply choosing not to. You say not promoting it is the least they could do, which implies (to me at least) that you feel there's far more they could do if they wanted.

I don't think he's criticising Nintendo's actions or intention. I think he's more examining the topic of this thread and the reactions to whatever actions Nintendo's made here.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only have an US account on my switch and Overwatch is on the upper right corner of the Featured section. Not sure what everyone else is looking at though.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is. Pc gamers do know that controlls are the most important thing when it comes to fps shooters. Mouse and keyboard is the way to go. Having a game running on 30 fps would still win most fights if you are good on pc. Analog stick not. So yes controlls >>>>>>> fps 30 vs 60. And thanks for your full input on this

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see where you are coming from, but I do think Blizzard's support of LGBT is genuine. I think people pushing for the inclusion of LGBT characters are doing this not because of cynical greed, but because they believe in these values. Those are values that likely aren't only shared by the creatives working on their games, but also by people of its management.

But, and that's where it becomes frustrating, taking social responsibility is at best a secondary goal for larger companies. Especially those which are publicly traded. Making money almost always comes first. Maybe you can take a stand for what is right and pass on some profits without bigger consequences, but when talking about China we are looking at a huge market. Angering China would have huge comsequences that most companies that are active in the market don't dare to risk. In the business world, doing what's right instead of what's profitable simply isn't being rewarded. It's a case of begrudgingly playing ball even if you personally hate with a passion what you are about to do.

To be clear. this isn't meant to be a defense of what Blizzard's done. It's still awful and bad. But at the end of the day individual companies aren't making the rules, they are simply playing by them. It's a failure of the governments - North American and European in particular - not being able or not being daring enough to find solutions for their companies to work eye to eye in China.
Well said

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread's gone off the rails a bit. As there's counter-evidence to suggest that Nintendo is promoting the game, we're going to go ahead and lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.