• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
tw101rmoj3i.png

Feel this is worth the new thread so that the other one can be about the game itself coming out in May and whatnot.

Platinum for whatever reason never fully confirmed what the status was regarding ownership of the IP. If this is accurate, then Nintendo seemingly indeed sold their stake in the IP. No clue on what Nintendo got for it (not much if it was a poor seller? How does it work?). PG went on record saying that Nintendo were 100% onboard with a remaster, but told Platinum (obviously) to either do it with them, or to do it elsewhere alone. Somehow, some way, PG convinced Nintendo to let them do the latter in a very unprecedented move, and the rest is history:

—Why did you decide to bring The Wonderful 101 to new platforms? Did you talk to Nintendo about a port?

Kamiya:
"We felt it did not quite reach the audience that it deserved. As creators we are very confident in the game. This project is a unique opportunity to bring the fans together and see how far the game can go, which is why we went the crowdfunding route. We did speak with Nintendo about it initially, but they said, 'you either do it only with us or do it yourselves.' But speaking with them they allowed us to cut a deal, so we took upon ourselves to start this project. Dangen Entertainment is helping us. We have seen successful campaigns in the past, Bloodstained in particular, so we saw it as a very unique and interesting opportunity."
So yeah, now we seemingly have a better idea of what went down.

NOW, it is slightly possible the copyright is only for the "Remastered" version, but I very much doubt that, in case anyone brought this up. That's not how it works IIRC. Nintendo would have to still be named if they co-owned the IP/copyright here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
User banned (1 week): Thread whining/history of similar behavior.
Who gives a shit

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty clearly a case where the IP was worth more to Platinum (due to their personal involvement with and affection for the title) than it was to Nintendo (due to its limited sales potential).

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense that they would try to buy it, Platinum seem to be really fighting to gain IP and are probably beyond frustrated being beholden to Sega and Nintendo for their biggest franchises

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If they now fully own W101, I wonder if Project GG will be an actual direct sequel instead of just a spiritual one.

Not necessarily called Wonderful 102 or anything, but in the same world with some characters cameos (instead of the legally distinct """Poseman""")

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they get the IP from Nintendo because Nintendo isn't interested in the IP anymore. Nintendo isn't stupid though, they will have made some kind of deal before handing it over, like it has to release also on Nintendo platforms or something like that.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
interesting. now if the remaster is a success they can do a sequel on their own.

not really how it works, if nintendo had any ownership of the IP they'd be in the copyright notice, even if they had nothing to do with the remaster.
I feel like if Platinum did recover ownership they wouldn't be so coy about it, but I could be wrong.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Platinum to get the right backs, though I really wanted to see Nintendo's brand on the PS4 version.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think they bought back the IP but since they did not give a straight answer in the interview there may be some terms in the sale that they can't disclose just yet.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if Platinum did recover ownership they wouldn't be so coy about it, but I could be wrong.
who knows. either way, it's obvious the IP wasn't significant for nintendo but platinum really values finally having some IPs for themselves after working so many years in the industry. they deserve this one.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can nintendo just ask to remove their copyright? I dunno if it is possible but I think Nintendo wouldnt like to have their name showing up when the game is played in another console.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Maybe the minimum on the Kickstarter was the price to buy it back with an exclusivity contract and the stretch goal for PS4 was the price to buy it without such a stipulation...

lightning16

May 17, 2019
It does make sense, even if there isn't much precedence for it with Nintendo properties. They clearly view Platinum as a valuable development partner and it would make no sense to be stingy with this IP and potentially strain their relationship since it really held no real value for them.

Oct 31, 2017
PG was asked in that one interview if they now owned TW101 and they didn't answer then so maybe they did get it in the end.

But Kamiya now says that Project GG is their first fully owned game so... :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 51982

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It does make sense, even if there isn't much precedence for it with Nintendo properties. They clearly view Platinum as a valuable development partner and it would make no sense to be stingy with this IP and potentially strain their relationship since it really held no real value for them.
Devil's Third was originally © Valhalla Game Studios Co., Ltd. / Nintendo and then Nintendo sold their half to Nexon for the Devil's Third Online release. Most things just don't bomb as hard as these titles did.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Hmm, interesting.

How much big of a deal is this on a scale from "Nah" to "Bayonetta 2 on Playstation and Xbox"?