• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
So there's the Switch Pro. If they're actually switching out the SoC for Mariko, it's going to be basically impossible for this to be a silent revision. In a stationary home console, you can silently die shrunk the CPU without any fanfare because the heat and power consumption going down doesn't have any immediately noticeable impact on the operation of the device. On a handheld however, the battery life and/or performance is going to shoot way up if you try to do that unless you hamstring the battery just to keep up the illusion. Nintendo is basically going to have to acknowledge this revision, because it will be a mess at retail if they don't.
What soc were people even expecting to be in a switch pro ? Like there is no upgrade path on the Nvidia mobile side (not counting x2) unless they are going to get them to make a chip especially for the switch.
Mariko, which was made specifically for this and Switch Lite.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With a smaller node you can also get better performance with the same heat/power consumption. Not saying it will be the case...but dismissing the option sounds biased and there is nothing magical about it.

Nintendo was already experimenting with unlocking new power profiles on the original model so if the possibility is there I don't see why they should not consider it.

It's basically a free boost since they probably HAD to move to 16nm, and they can reap the advantages in the way they see fit. I understand tempering expectations, but this is a bit too much.

As long as people don't expect games jumping from 30 to 60fps or doubling the resolution I think they should be fine. I expect a minor boost that will remove some bottlenecks.

Yes, you can. And given we know there's no new SKU and it's a quiet update to the original Switch, *NOT* the same scenario as DSi or New 3DS which were separate SKU's, there is zero reason to believe in performance boosts other than wishful thinking and hype trains. So like has been said, it's far more likely to simply be a way of either increasing battery life, or reducing the cost of the battery by having a smaller one (and the CPU itself will also be cheaper).

Consoles have switched nodes before... and nothing of note has changed other than power usage and internal cost savings. Will likely be the same here - same end user performance with benefits for Nintendo.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Yes, you can. And given we know there's no new SKU and it's a quiet update to the original Switch, *NOT* the same scenario as DSi or New 3DS which were separate SKU's, there is zero reason to believe in performance boosts other than wishful thinking and hype trains. So like has been said, it's far more likely to simply be a way of either increasing battery life, or reducing the cost of the battery by having a smaller one (and the CPU itself will also be cheaper).

Consoles have switched nodes before... and nothing of note has changed other than power usage and internal cost savings. Will likely be the same here.

All of this is nonsense. This specific FCC filing is not a new SKU. A new SKU not releasing this year (according to Nintendo - who has lied before. See the DS Lite denial a few days before the announcement of it) is not the same thing as one not coming. Reporters at the WSJ are not the same as random 'insiders' - they know their stuff.

A spec bump console is in manufacturing. It exists. This is not it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is this comparable to the PS2 revisions? There were about twelve or so, not even counting the PStwo.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is basically going to have to acknowledge this revision, because it will be a mess at retail if they don't.

I wonder if there's a chance that they won't acknowledge it because doing so could create more of a mess at retail- trying to market a very marginally upgraded console.

Although from what Emily said it seems like we are getting new models, so it's all academic really.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, It'll be the "Pro" but I doubt Nintendo would refer to it as a "Pro". Pro would imply there's a base model as well, and that base model can't be the Lite. Sony and Microsoft may have the standard model and the upgraded model, while Nintendo will always have the standard model and the cheaper inferior model. We may have 3 SKU until the OG runs out of stock but I believe the new revision will simply replace the OG model and become the next standard Switch, the one we'll see everywhere and that'll get most sales. I found it interesting they announced a Lite Pokémon edition without the game as compared to Let's Go last year, they're probably waiting for the revision to be announced.

It'll simply be the new Switch and even if games run better that won't be what Nintendo will promote alongside it, it'll probably have new features too.
I guess they'll run out of the OG this holiday and be done with it?

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no way Nintendo splits the base

3DSXL which played SNES games and Xenoblade vs launch 3DS which was phased out and unable to play Xenoblade and SNES games.

You may come at me with a that doesn't count type of excuse and I'll simply say having a launch 3DS and seeing Nintendo go the slightly more powerful handheld route with a exclusive game for it made me very upset at that time.

I love my Switch but I expect Nintendo to dick me over at some point in the future.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Is this comparable to the PS2 revisions? There were about twelve or so, not even counting the PStwo.
This seems most likely. The PS2 revisions did have small tweaks and run more efficiently over many revision iterations, but most folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the PS2's 70000 and the 90000 series. Aside from piracy/modding changes.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo could drop a trailer revealing new colors for the Nintendo Switch and that'd be it right? They wouldn't have to say anything more or would they with this info we have?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this had its screen size changed would that have to be mentioned in the filing?
Or since it's not mentioned does that mean it's still 6.2 inches?

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
This seems most likely. The PS2 revisions did have small tweaks and run more efficiently over many revision iterations, but most folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the PS2's 70000 and the 90000 series. Aside from piracy/modding changes.

Assuming that the SOC change is to bump the system up to Mariko - which is the only thing that really makes sense - this would be a bigger change than the PS2 variants. This system would run materially cooler than the launch unit, would get materially better battery life.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Will this make the original Switch obsolete later when we get games made for the newer Switch Pro only?

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Now I'm even more confused. If this is the Switch pro then I might as well pull the trigger and get a switch. I'm not willing to wait another 6-12 months to find out that this was suppose to be the revision.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that the SOC change is to bump the system up to Mariko - which is the only thing that really makes sense - this would be a bigger change than the PS2 variants. This system would run materially cooler than the launch unit, would get materially better battery life.
I'm not so convinced Mariko is the only thing that makes sense. I have limited SOC experience but it's not out of the realm of possibility this is just a VERY small set of tweaks to the existing SOC. Maybe they came up with an alternative design for the Lite and are now rolling it into the OG. Let's say they found a way to make the existing design less hackable, or got different RAM, or more efficient factory assembly. Dunno. Talking out my ass.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I'm not so convinced Mariko is the only thing that makes sense. I have limited SOC experience but it's not out of the realm of possibility this is just a VERY small set of tweaks to the existing SOC. Maybe they came up with an alternative design for the Lite and are now rolling it into the OG. Let's say they found a way to make the existing design less hackable, or got different RAM, or more efficient factory assembly. Dunno. Talking out my ass.

The Lite has the die shrink. Bringing that to the main Switch simplifies production and offers cost savings. It's pretty much the only thing that makes sense to me. That they timed this to run it through the FCC the day of Lite announcement says a lot.

Different RAM would not require a new FCC certification. It takes substantial changes to either the wireless components or the main board/etc to require a fresh FCC certification. Part substitution and the like doesn't, really. :)

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
All of this is nonsense. This specific FCC filing is not a new SKU. A new SKU not releasing this year (according to Nintendo - who has lied before. See the DS Lite denial a few days before the announcement of it) is not the same thing as one not coming. Reporters at the WSJ are not the same as random 'insiders' - they know their stuff.

A spec bump console is in manufacturing. It exists. This is not it.

While I agree, why would they currently be manufacturing the "Pro" model if it's not releasing this year?

Two new models are being manufactured now, and one is coming out in 2 months, which makes sense. It doesn't make sense if the other one is 8 months away from being released.

Oct 25, 2017
The Lite has the die shrink. Bringing that to the main Switch simplifies production and offers cost savings. It's pretty much the only thing that makes sense to me. That they timed this to run it through the FCC the day of Lite announcement says a lot.
The Lite has the die shrink? Oh really?

EDIT: The Verge says "more power-efficient chip layout" Hm.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. It's harder to do a silent revision of a handheld.
No. The WSJ reporting is very specific and clear. A silent revision would, in no universe, offer perceptibly better performance.

Yeah, and so does the key reporter on this beat. :)
Who says this is a silent revision?

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
While I agree, why would they currently be manufacturing the "Pro" model if it's not releasing this year?

Two new models are being manufactured now, and one is coming out in 2 months, which makes sense. It doesn't make sense if the other one is 8 months away from being released.

Probably releasing early next year. I suspect what is being manufactured is parts, by Nvidia, to deliver to Nintendo for the Switch Pro. Probably a special cut-down version of the Tegra X2 specifically intended for use by Nintendo in this new system.

Another viable possibility is that Nintendo is manufacturing housings and the like so as to be ready to ship in volume early next year.

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017
To be clear, we don't really know how much performance increase the changes bring based on the filling. All we know is that it is being treated as a revision, not a new product. For PC/laptops, you can change CPU from I3 to I7 and still use class 2 change....

Dec 23, 2017
With a smaller node you can also get better performance with the same heat/power consumption. Not saying it will be the case...but dismissing the option sounds biased and there is nothing magical about it.

Nintendo was already experimenting with unlocking new power profiles on the original model so if the possibility is there I don't see why they should not consider it.

It's basically a free boost since they probably HAD to move to 16nm, and they can reap the advantages in the way they see fit. I understand tempering expectations, but this is a bit too much.

As long as people don't expect games jumping from 30 to 60fps or doubling the resolution I think they should be fine. I expect a minor boost that will remove some bottlenecks.
Nintendo could drop a trailer revealing new colors for the Nintendo Switch and that'd be it right? They wouldn't have to say anything more or would they with this info we have?
they would mention very basic stuff. New processor more efficient better battery life. Really doubt they mention performance gains. I would think if the lite is running at different clocks (not sure yet) then they would have to match performance. But I'm my opinion if they are using new processor that are more efficient and don't up the clocks and get better performance them both these would mean nothing to me. It would make little sense to put in new chips just for better battery.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I don't understand you people.

The Nintendo Switch is repurposed and outdated cellphone hardware. It will never about the gigaflops or the megahertz, or whatever. It's about a cheap, commoditised platform for Nintendo to sell their games to you.

I admit I am a little biased because I personally believe the 3DS is the greatest platform Nintendo has ever made, but... y'all need to drop this pretense that Ninty cares about the graphics. I will lead you down a bitter path.

Enjoy the games or don't, and move on.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The battery life numbers quoted with the battery size quoted matches up exactly with what one would expect from a die shrink and no other scenario enables the battery life numbers quoted and the battery size stated to both be true.
The smaller screen doesn't explain the better battery life then?

The Verge says the Lite has a "more power-efficient chip layout" whatever the hell that means. Damn near anything basically.

I'd put money on this "revision" being completely invisible to everyone outside of teardowns.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
The smaller screen doesn't explain the better battery life then?

The Verge says the Lite has a "more power-efficient chip layout" whatever the hell that means. Damn near anything basically.

I'd put money on this "revision" being completely invisible to everyone outside of teardowns.

Nope. Not since stuff like the GBA has the screen used a material amount of energy as compared to the SOC. There is no currently available mainstream LCD that uses enough power to get anywhere close to the stated energy savings. The SOC is a hog, the other components sip power.

(It is absolutely, without question, an X1 die shrink)

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The FCC filing. They didn't run this through with a new product identifier, they ran it through as a revision of the product.
That doesn't mean it will be a silent revision. It means it will be a revision in general. Branding is irrelevant to the FCC filing.

Besides, making both a Pro and a silent revision doesn't make a whole lot of sense when the only meaningful difference between them is the clock speeds.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
That doesn't mean it will be a silent revision. It means it will be a revision in general. Branding is irrelevant to the FCC filing.

Besides, making both a Pro and a silent revision doesn't make a whole lot of sense when the only meaningful difference between them is the clock speeds.

That is just not true, I am sorry. They filed this as a revision to the original console. it is not legal to file as a revision, get approval as a revision, and then launch as a new product.