• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao people on Era and GAF have been saying this about all platforms since the first 'PS4K' rumours in like 2015. It's not going to happen. That sort of market doesn't even exist anymore for phones, and consoles are moving away from being hardware reliant and towards service models. The idea that a relatively small company like Nintendo could mimic Apple circa 2010-2016 is absolutely insane.

That market absolutely still is the bread and butter of the phone market today.

Nintendo can do whatever they want but I think if they feel they can get through a 5-6 year product cycle without a PS4 Pro/XBX1 type refresh and maintain sales momentum ... I think they've got a rude awakening coming for them after the Switch's 3rd anniversary.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
We know a lot about it though, and because it's a revision, it will likely be limited relative to the pie in the sky dreams of many (including me).

I disagree, we just know that it will get a new SOC. We don't even know if it's the same as the Lite, and we don't know what the Lite one is capable of as well. Although I think it's safe to assume that it's a 16mm part and that already covers most of my expectations TBH.

I thought that docked was simply plugged. How the performance can be better while docked?

No heat/battery constrains, so the clocks can be pushed higher for better performance. It's about a 2.5x increase, you didn't know that? It allows for games to push(or at least try to) full hd resolutions compared to the 720p target for handheld node.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So what's going to happen is that Nintendo is going with the Apple route. They are going to refresh the system every few years with a spec bump, newer components and still keep using the same name.

So basically Nintendo Switch (2017), Nintendo Switch (2019), Nintendo Switch (2021), etc.

The "Apple route" involves brand new SKUs with brand new features. Every year.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
Didn't mention new (faster) RAM, so not Pro confirmed? This would also mean not much improvements since the current model has a bandwidth bottleneck?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, we just know that it will get a new SOC. We don't even know if it's the same as the Lite, and we don't know what the Lite one is capable of as well. Although I think it's safe to assume that it's a 16mm part and that already covers most of my expectations TBH.

No heat/battery constrains, so the clocks can be pushed higher for better performance. It's about a 2.5x increase, you didn't know that? It allows for games to push(or at least try to) full hd resolutions compared to the 720p target for handheld node.

It says it's a revision of the OG. That means you're constrained by the OG and its form factor and features unless it becomes an entirely different (i.e., new) model.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That market absolutely still is the bread and butter of the phone market today.

It's really, really not. The market is now split between deluxe phone offerings from Apple etc and much cheaper new competitors from China. Very, very few people are getting yearly phone upgrades any more.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Why are y'all saying "Pro" is not gonna happen anymore?
This sounds like the PS4 slim. Or Xbox One S. A simple, more efficient revision.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
What soc were people even expecting to be in a switch pro ? Like there is no upgrade path on the Nvidia mobile side (not counting x2) unless they are going to get them to make a chip especially for the switch.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Why are y'all saying "Pro" is not gonna happen anymore?
This sounds like the PS4 slim. Or Xbox One S. A simple, more efficient revision.

Because it's unlikely that Nintendo would quietly upgrade the SoC in the Switch only to release a new Pro model within the next 6-8 months.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So this is a straight up revision because they aren't changing the ID

And it looks like the external might be the same as well

My guess is they will call it a 64GB switch or something and with it will be the associated spec bump, and then they will slowly end production of the 32 gb one

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Its not an upgrade, just a change in CPU model (I assume their original stock ran out and a newer gen fixes some issues and might be a bit more future proof in availability.) This is 99% most likely not a pro model or whatever, just the same SKU, just some hardware swaps.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
It says it's a revision of the OG. That means you're constrained by the OG and its form factor and features unless it becomes an entirely different (i.e., new) model.

I am not sure form factor or other features (say, redesigned joy-cons) are relevant for the FCC certification. They might still pull out a "new 3ds" and we wouldn't know yet because they don't need to mention it in order to get it approved. That's all I'm saying. But I am sure it will be really similar to the original Switch, which after all doesn't need that much of a revamp.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City

I always thought the dock was a gimmick, it's only a plastic case. There's no additionnal GPU/CPU within the dock so for me, it's only a way to connect it easily on the TV while it charged. When I see difference between docked and undocked, for me, it's the same as plugged and not plugged.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This likely the Pro, but I am sure a LOT of people wont accept that likelyhood...I said it all along. Easiest, cheapest, most Nintendo-like Pro path is just to upclock the in place Tegra and change nothing else (plus that's Nintendo's history aka new 3DS).

If it was RAM challenged, aka it had 2GB, I can see them upping RAM, but 4GB RAM is plenty in Switch's price slot in todays market and relative to the performance. Further, RAM often can only be doubled due to bus width constraints (not sure if this applies to Switch SOC) so the next step has to be 8GB, not 5GB or 6GB. And that's too much/expensive/unnecessary.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure form factor or other features (say, redesigned joy-cons) are relevant for the FCC certification. They might still pull out a "new 3ds" and we wouldn't know yet because they don't need to mention it in order to get it approved. That's all I'm saying. But I am sure it will be really similar to the original Switch, which after all doesn't need that much of a revamp.
Mark my words, its the original switch but with a newer chip for security purposes. no increase in specs or anything. just a bigger storage

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
It'll probably just be what a Switch in 2019 should be, a better chip, increased battery, better materials and no security problems. It'll be the main SKU from now on and I'm sure it'll be the one getting the games bundled with.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this basically the PS3 going from 20 to 60 GB to 80 GB? Like it wasn't a new system, just improved the original? It didn't have a new name. It was still called the "PS3".

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Samsung and Apple still ship hundreds of millions of phones every year. Just because something is on a downtick doesn't mean it's an absolute market reality, it's like saying "movie theaters are finished because box office was down!" which gets trotted every year the box office is down for the last 20 years, lol.
It could be a business change, say, ISP providers "provide" the phone and change it every year or so with no additional cost. Like renting a car, always new. Owning something will be less acurate I think in the coming years.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
And he won't be the only one.

Pro/X/Apple/etc. have created a horrible precedent for folks who didn't or otherwise don't realize that, at the end of the day, the Switch is nothing but a tablet sporting a Nintendo badge.

I'd kill for 720/60 locked in portable (and with decent battery life to boot), but that likely ain't happening anytime soon.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Isn't this basically the PS3 going from 20 to 60 GB to 80 GB? Like it wasn't a new system, just improved the original? It didn't have a new name. It was still called the "PS3".
I don't think it'll be a silent revision but the changes won't be that big, they'll probably call it Nintendo Switch+.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I still keep coming back to this tweet by Mochizuki at the WSJ:

He's going to wait for "the other one". I don't think he would have phrased it like that if "the other one" was just a quiet refresh of the OG Switch with nothing worth waiting for.

"The other one" sounds like the "other" new model.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like this is going to just be an internal revision so that both Switch models are going to be on the same chip, and not a Switch Pro. I don't really see how a relatively small perfomance bump is really going to help Nintendo much. It's not like there is a new Tegra out there that can push 4k or anything.

I bet it will be a storage bump, the chip will have the security issues fixed, and any efficiency gains they're going straight into improving the battery life in handheld mode. So it will be a nice upgrade but nothing that is going to make a current Switch obsolete.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it'll be a silent revision but the changes won't be that big, they'll probably call it Nintendo Switch+.
Then that's a Switch Pro to me in the end. If they give it a new name that's what I consider a "Switch Pro". I think Emily said it will come in 2 colors. I have to look back.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

He's going to wait for "the other one". I don't think he would have phrased it like that if "the other one" was just a quiet refresh of the OG Switch with nothing worth waiting for.

That sounds more like he's hinting at the Switch Pro.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Which is exactly what the "Pro" (which all sources never called like that) was supposed to be all along?

Many people already guessed that the "enhanced" version would just replace the original Switch with the same SOC that they would use for the "portable" version, and it looks like we just got proof of that.

I am just not sure if this change request allows them to make cosmetic changes or other minor tweaks.

Yeah it's just that so many people are reading into this as something like an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro version and it's most likely not.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I do feel like this is going to just be an internal revision so that both Switch models are going to be on the same chip, and not a Switch Pro. I don't really see how a relatively small perfomance bump is really going to help Nintendo much. It's not like there is a new Tegra out there that can push 4k or anything.

I bet it will be a storage bump, the chip will have the security issues fixed, and any efficiency gains they're going straight into improving the battery life in handheld mode. So it will be a nice upgrade but nothing that is going to make a current Switch obsolete.

Yep, and I'm gonna buy it. Improved battery life, hopefully 64gb internal storage and some cool new colours.

Reckon it'll come out in September?

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Then that's a Switch Pro to me in the end. If they give it a new name that's what I consider a "Switch Pro". I think Emily said it will come in 2 colors. I have to look back.
Yeah, It'll be the "Pro" but I doubt Nintendo would refer to it as a "Pro". Pro would imply there's a base model as well, and that base model can't be the Lite. Sony and Microsoft may have the standard model and the upgraded model, while Nintendo will always have the standard model and the cheaper inferior model. We may have 3 SKU until the OG runs out of stock but I believe the new revision will simply replace the OG model and become the next standard Switch, the one we'll see everywhere and that'll get most sales. I found it interesting they announced a Lite Pokémon edition without the game as compared to Let's Go last year, they're probably waiting for the revision to be announced.

It'll simply be the new Switch and even if games run better that won't be what Nintendo will promote alongside it, it'll probably have new features too.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Why? It's a chip on a smaller manufacturing node, so either we'll get longer battery life or a smaller battery and the same battery life, and little else to talk about. No magical power boost.

With a smaller node you can also get better performance with the same heat/power consumption. Not saying it will be the case...but dismissing the option sounds biased and there is nothing magical about it.

Nintendo was already experimenting with unlocking new power profiles on the original model so if the possibility is there I don't see why they should not consider it.

It's basically a free boost since they probably HAD to move to 16nm, and they can reap the advantages in the way they see fit. I understand tempering expectations, but this is a bit too much.

As long as people don't expect games jumping from 30 to 60fps or doubling the resolution I think they should be fine. I expect a minor boost that will remove some bottlenecks.

Nov 23, 2017

IMO this guys tweet is worth as much as 25 posters saying it doesn't exist. Clearly this is referring to something more than a spec bump.

Dec 23, 2017
Ok I will just wait for it to be announced and we get the real info. Too much speculation in here.

With a smaller node you can also get better performance with the same heat/power consumption. Not saying it will be the case...but dismissing the option sounds biased and there is nothing magical about it.

Nintendo was already experimenting with unlocking new power profiles on the original model so if the possibility is there I don't see why they should not consider it.

It's basically a free boost since they probably HAD to move to 16nm, and they can reap the advantages in the way they see fit. I understand tempering expectations, but this is a bit too much.

As long as people don't expect games jumping from 30 to 60fps or doubling the resolution I think they should be fine. I expect a minor boost that will remove some bottlenecks.
Makes sense. Dismissing just for no reason doesn't.