• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm brown, just because she isn't pale as a ghost doesn't mean she's brown.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Wario and Waluigi need their princesses; it would be cool if they were POC
The closest thing to a princess Wario gets is Captain Syrup:
200px-WLSSyrup.png

Dec 21, 2020
But, for some reason, with the release of Mario Party 4 in 2002, Nintendo decided not only to step back from having a brown princess, but to run screaming in the completely opposite direction, making Daisy not only pale, but paler than even Peach.
I always thought that it was because daisies are normally portrayed as white flowers and peach blossoms actually have color in their petals.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this is just too make her more easy to distinguish from peach in a different. Although, if Peach slowly became Hispanic, well, I guess that would be good. I think.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Always find it strange how Nintendo seems to mess around with characters skin tones. For how strict they're known to be with their IP you think they'd have a defined color palette ready.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Always find it strange how Nintendo seems to mess around with characters skin tones. For how strict they're known to be with their IP you think they'd have a defined color palette ready.
Lmao, sorry for my cynicism but... What color palette?

Oh, you mean their clothes? Carry on then.

Jokes aside, isn't Smash like the epithome of Nintendo's character policy? Sad but true.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Her varying skin tone never really bothered me since I never read her as a POC even back in the 64 days tbh. I still don't think that was Nintendo's intent with the character (though getting a POC in the Mario IP would be good.)

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great thread! Never would've noticed they changed the skin tone over all this years without it. On a sidenote: Just yesterday I've watched the new Mario Goly trailer and somehow noticed that all Nintendo characters lack diversity. All are white guys. Why is there no room for i.e. a black character. I mean come on Nintendo itself wants to make everyone smile, but yet doesn't have characters with whom not only white people can identify themselves. Kind of sad and something I've (sadly) never thought about before.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
yeah nah... I mean I'm glad if Nintendo actually went on record and said it straight but until then she will always be white character with tan tones changing her appearance.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is silly. I'm brown and never once have seen her as brown. Even at her "darkest" she still looks white as hell with a tan.

This. Her having skin that isn't ghost white doesn't make her a brown person. Wish people on this forum would realize this. Nintendo still has a long way to go before I'd consider them progressive, and Daisy isn't earning them any points.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank god. She was a cool contrast to peach before and then they ruined her

HATE pale daisy

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, sorry for my cynicism but... What color palette?
I get the joke but there's enough variation in the skin tone of their white characters that I think the point stands. It's pretty weird that a company that seemingly cares strongly about consistent brand images doesn't care too strongly about the skin, so long as the ethnicity remains the same.

In fact, to your clothing point, I'm pretty sure Mario's red and blue has been very, very consistent for nearly two decades now, as well as Peach's pink - implying they do use some sort of standard there. They do seem to vary on how light Luigi and Yoshi's greens should be though.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I assume this is just too make her more easy to distinguish from peach in a different. Although, if Peach slowly became Hispanic, well, I guess that would be good. I think.

I would love a Mario game that would completely shatter expectations design wise.

I get the joke but there's enough variation in the skin tone of their white characters that I think the point stands. It's pretty weird that a company that seemingly cares strongly about consistent brand images doesn't care too strongly about the skin, so long as the ethnicity remains the same.

In fact, to your clothing point, I'm pretty sure Mario's red and blue has been very, very consistent for nearly two decades now, as well as Peach's pink - implying they do use some sort of standard there. They do seem to vary on how light Luigi and Yoshi's greens should be though.

Perhaps it's just different engines and art design teams interpreting characters slightly differently? It's hard to imagine or even prefer a 1:1 replica of Mario and Peach every single time.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
there's no reason Daisy, Wario, etc. shouldn't be playable in the mainline games that come with multiplayer modes like SM3DW.
I terms of Wario (and Yoshi, whom I would like to have playable), there is a good reason to not offer him as a Mario alternative: Wario (and Yoshi) has a distinct moveset from his own platformers which is notably different from Mario. Wario's dash (or Yoshi's Flutter) would not necessarily fit into a Mario platformer.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I terms of Wario (and Yoshi, whom I would like to have playable), there is a good reason to not offer him as a Mario alternative: Wario (and Yoshi) has a distinct moveset from his own platformers which is notably different from Mario. Wario's dash (or Yoshi's Flutter) would not necessarily fit into a Mario platformer.
They were able to make them work on Mario 64 DS, but I agree that Wario and Yoshi are better off being playable only on their respective series.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to say that I just figured she was from a Greek analogue of the Mushroom Kingdom, but then I remembered Mario's probably from an Italian analogue, so... ???

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Fun" fact: The only Asian people in the Mario universe are the Chinese zombies in Super Mario Land

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
That is tan. Its not even light brown... As a brown guy this slight 'darkening' skin tone progression is 😂
What is even there to praise or recognize in this.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
This felt like a 1,616199 × 10⁻³⁵ m step in the right direction then a 2km step back. And I also don't think this was meant for representation, just so the games don't have 2 pale white princesses.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Honestly I always thought Nintendo gave her a tan in Tennis 64 because guangaro style was all the rage in Japan back when this game was being made.
Never saw her as an attempt of inclusivety for instance.
To me she is more like Stella from DQ9 (although the tan obsession was mostly over in Japan when 9 came out)
latest

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Side note: she looks so much better with a primary yellow/secondary white color scheme like her old design (and you know, like an actual daisy flower) as opposed to her current yellow and orange mix.
Just want to say, daisies can be orange. The African variant is traditionally orange, as well as numerous other perennials under the category.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
Is there anything special about it? I thought many Nintendo characters have had inconsistent appearance over the years and this was just an example among others.

It seems to me you are giving too much importance to details. On the screenshots you posted, most major changes aren't the skin color but other elements such as the outfit, hair and eyes.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I don't believe The Adder is white.

As for the topic at hand, one thing I always thought was strange was how inconsistent Daisy was between her N64-era promotional renders:
latest

And how she usually appeared in-game:
-0acUyY7Cobg_HHugF01rxOjFxx2j2ZP1T78FUBWuW0.jpg

698AF78023826DB1A59E98AF0ABFE62EFDFCD72B

I could post a render of Peach from Mario Party 3 for a point of comparison, but know that she is lighter in that render than Daisy is in hers, which makes the in-game appearances (at least in Mario Tennis) all the more stark. To their credit, it seemed like Mario Party 3 and Melee were getting there in keeping model/render consistency with Daisy's tan, but then Daisy wound up reverting back to her 1989 complexion.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure she was intended as "white" but might as retcon it into brown.
Brown people have different shades of colours and depending on the season the skin might be "dark" or "pale".

It shouldn't be that hard to do this.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically POC Mario characters are so rare that a white one getting a mild tan is seen as a victory for representation

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
She looks like a regular white woman to me? I don't see any representation here and I am straining my eyessss

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Not really seeing it, photos posted in the op don't seem any more or less white in some versus others, except from the first one 30 years ago.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
while the claims of this being progressive representation are hilarious, it was cool/ fun to think of her as being middle eastern due to the desert setting and original tan.

plus she just looks better