• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

Artist at Nintendo confirms it, they have also not tweeted anything at all today, it very well could be because it is #BlackoutTuesday, they have not made a statement yet however.

They do match donations a lot in various cases when something happens, it is still dishearting that they have not made a statement BUT this is better than nothing.

They are double matching donations mind you, their policy is to match but they don't usually double match.

Lock if needed mods, or do what you need to do.

Update: Artist deleted the tweet because they wanted privacy and didn't want to do anything yet without Nintendo's statement. Please respect the employee.

Last edited:

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I would rather a statement that comes with a big show of support (eg, we donated $50,000) than a generic one like most other companies.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a policy which they have always had, but this is not taking a stand

its a good policy and in no ways im critizing it

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

Artist at Nintendo confirms it, they have also not tweeted anything at all today, it very well could be because it is #BlackoutTuesday, they have not made a statement yet however.

Lock if needed mods, or do what you need to do.

Adding to this: the Japanese Nintendo Twitter account actually tweeted the topic on the Pokemon news, but yes. So far, Western Nintendo accounts have been completely silent. And TPC ones as well. So much that there were no tweets about the new Pokemon S/S DLC news (again, the Japanese branch still tweeted about it).

klauskpm

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
That is their policy for years and it is nothing new. Don't try to pass this as if they are doing something for BLM.

If anything, people asking for this new thread and you posting just shows how branding makes people be on the side of companies, and how much it matters for them to take a real stance.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
That is their policy for years and it is nothing new. Don't try to pass this as if they are doing something for BLM.

If anything, people asking for this new thread and you posting just shows how branding makes people be on the side of companies, and how much it matters for them to take a real stance.

Their policy is to match employees, not double match them, yet here they are double matching.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Double matching implies that Nintendo is donating 200% of the employee's donations. That's a new one for me, and I suspect that isn't standard policy.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is good but I do think they need to put out a statement. Their younger audience needs to know that Black Lives Matter because they're the most susceptible to being pulled into the quagmire that is racism online. It's foolhardy to try and be apolitical on the surface and just do things behind the scenes.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That's great, but all the more reason it's baffling they don't release an official statement on this topic. Would help a lot to throw a huge message of support along with actions.
And no, before someone throws the "I'd rather see actions than empty words" rethoric, you know what's even better in cases like this? Actions with a huge message of support for people to see and acknowledge.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Adding to this: the Japanese Nintendo Twitter account actually tweeted the topic on the Pokemon news, but yes. So far, Western Nintendo accounts have been completely silent. And TPC ones as well. So much that there were no tweets about the new Pokemon S/S DLC news (again, the Japanese branch still tweeted about it).

Yeah and they absolutely would have tweeted about the Pokemon DLC/uploaded the trailer if they weren't on a blackout.

It's very clear that they're observing the blackout, just not explicitly (unfortunately IMO).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I just hope NoA finally make an official statement after they finish observing Blackout Tuesday.

It'd be nice if, like Square Enix, they were waiting to put together a large donation (on top of double-matching employee donations; which is not their regular policy) before coming out with a statement; but we'll see.

Either way, taking action means a lot, and making further donations outside of their standard policy for employee matching is great. I just hope they make a statement in addition to that.

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
OP should probably say "double matching" and that their usual policy is matching...
But I guess the hashtag was more important.

As said in the other thread, it's nothing new for them.
Oh and for those still not believing the "matching donations" bit from Nintendo, it's literally in their policies since years, and fully public on their website:
Reggie was black.

They have a full internet policy page about how employee diversity is important to them:
www.nintendo.co.jp

Employees | CSR Information | Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Introduction to a variety of initiatives for creating an environment where each and every employee can realize their maximum potential.

B0zsmY2.png

They're one of the most diverse companies in gaming, they just don't like to make public statements about their donations, regardless of the event.
Just like when they gave 3.6M$ of aid for the 2011 Tsunami and free Wiis to the affected children. No tweet about it.

edit:
Yeah and they absolutely would have tweeted about the Pokemon DLC/uploaded the trailer if they weren't on a blackout.

It's very clear that they're observing the blackout, just not explicitly (unfortunately IMO).
Also this. They're making a statement while not making one officially.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good to hear about the donations, alongside (seemingly?) supporting #blackoutTuesday, and a number of their high profile employees' emphatic and public support of BLM.

That's all good.

Well done Nintendo.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Corporations aren't your friends so it really makes no difference to me if they make a public statement. Good that they are matching donations.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Good that they're matching employee donations.

I'm not a fan of PR departments using social problems for marketing purposes, so in a way just participating and putting money where into charities seems like some people at the top are at least sympathetic.

But then I imagine the racists losing their shit over a-political kid friendly Nintendo posting a black lives matter post and I just want them to post a picture of Mario with the phrase "Black lives matter" so we can take in the salt.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly prefer them not making a statement but doing something nonetheless. Anything else makes them look like they're fishing for good PR like the various other corporations.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like crowey PR tweet to make you think a company is woke and your buddy doesn't fucking matter when weighed against actual tangible contributions to a movement!

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
To me, putting the money in is worth even more than a cheap PR image on social media. Maybe I'm missing something.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
And if the reason they haven't said anything today is due to #BlackOutTuesday, then let's just way till tomorrow, hopefully they'll show their stance tomorrow with a message for everyone to see. Would be really nice if they did. I think that's all I'll say about this topic for today, will give the benefit of the doubt for now. And again, it's really nice that apparently they're not only matching, but double-matching donations.
Actions rather than statements
No, and because I knew someone would use this dismissive rethoric:
And no, before someone throws the "I'd rather see actions than empty words" rethoric, you know what's even better in cases like this? Actions with a huge message of support for people to see and acknowledge.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling, hostility, and inflammatory community generalizations, with prior bans for identical behavior
This forum is so toxic. The kind of people who film themselves giving money to the homeless.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I sure do hope they put out a statement to show support for their audience and glad to hear that their doing something.

I believe they've silently done stuff in the past in regards to donations of sorts in Japan before, but given the current climate I think it's important to put a message out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.