• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where are you at with Skyward Sword HD?

• Played the original and am buying the remaster

Votes: 506 23.1%
  • Did not play the original and am buying the remaster

Votes: 327 15.0%
  • Played the original and am not buying the remaster

Votes: 775 35.4%
  • Did not play the original and am not buying the remaster

Votes: 431 19.7%
  • Waiting for more details from Nintendo

Votes: 148 6.8%

• Total voters
Jun 14, 2021
Those that want to play this in 1080p should just invest in component cables for their Wii. Component cables are a massive improvement over regular composite. 60% of the improvements going from 480p to 1080p in this game has to do with going from composite cables to component/RGB. Another 20% of the improvement has to do with playing on a non-shit CRT, or a modern monitor that won't lag.

User reviews and comments will be interesting from all the new BotW fans for sure. SS is like the anti-thesis of BotW. There's certainly some quality stuff there that BotW lacks that many might really enjoy, but given how restrictive the game can be I imagine it will turn a lot of people off.

Personally have no interest in replaying it. It was a fun enough game, beautiful looking, with some great dungeons and fun character moments, but it's kind of a chore to play with a lot of elements and sections I just don't have any desire to experience again.
I'm glad that it is 60fps and the visuals and textures were nicely updated but it is hard to get excited. It seems like it will have all the same core flaws that the original release did, so it hard to justify paying full price and investing the time to replay it. I hope there are more significant changes but at this point I doubt it.

I do think the marketing has been dishonest. The game has nothing in common with BOTW. Aside from some surface-level mechanics. It would be like if they were to re-release Wind Waker and kept insisting that it is like BOTW because Link has the Leaf item that you can glide with. SS is the most linear and hand holdy Zelda game to date. It is the complete opposite of BOTW and I think Nintendo has misrepresented the game somewhat to the people who never played it.

Yeah, I can't wait for this to come out to see what modern reviewers think. Back when it released a lot of reviewers were enamored with motion controls. They also didn't have the hindsight of playing BotW. It's easy to think Skyward Sword is an amazing game if the last mainline Zelda game you played was Windwaker or Twilight Princess. Not so much when it's BotW.

Eagerly awaiting all those reviews from casual gamers that never touched a Zelda before BotW. Expecting the game to get metabombed for sure. :)

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Where's the "want to play the remaster but don't want to pay full price" option? Seriously, though. As will all their ports, it's always the bare minimum. They already charged full price for their original work on Wii, with full right of course. But I have a feeling they didn't work as hard or as much on this version. Then we have Crash or Spyro that had 3 remade games for less.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
One thing I would really like is a sword-only motion mode.

As in a mode where the sword is motion controlled, but all the forced stuff (flapping loftwings, throwing bombs, swimming...) is just good old buttons.

The motion controls for the sword were great, it's just the rest that was dumb and forced in some cases because a button works better.

In comparison, I can only imagine how boring flicking a stick for a sword slash will feel. Or wait, I don't have to imagine that. No More Heroes PS3 already taught me that lesson.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I loathed the original release, but I was almost up for buying the HD re-release to play it without the motion controls, but I don't think I can do another 3D game without analog camera controls. I already did my time in Kingdom Hearts 1, ICO and other classics where they hadn't figured out what the right analog stick was supposed to be used for.

To be fair, I am not really certain you could make a version of Skyward Sword that would interest me, because of how deeply the motion controls are ingrained. If there was like a remake in the Twilight Princess engine, so I could just swing the sword normally, but also be able to control the camera with the analog, I'd be more interested, but doing that would take more effort than Nintendo is likely willing to put in, so *shrugs*....

I dunno, maybe I'll pick it up down the line during some sale or something, but I can also see myself just never playing it again.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
lmao the poll is telling. Skyward Sword definitely is a title many don't feel the need to play again. I can relate so much to this. Played the original as I was super hyped to play Zelda on Wii. Even got the special edition with the golden controller. Was pretty disappointed when I played through it. Didn't like the graphics, the mix between Twilight Princess (superb graphics to me) and Wind Waker (superb as well) didn't fit at all, dungeons have been disappointing to me plus getting walled pretty fast everytime you want to fly around was super annoying. I'd never play it again for the same content that was offered. They would have to change a lot to get me back to play it!

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Skyward Sword but it's long and slow. Really no reason to dedicate my time to it again. And if someone asked me what to play after Breath of the Wild I would recommend Link's Awakening over SS.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
If it was any other year I probably would skip it. But there's a game drought going on and there's nothing else that appeals around that timeframe.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
It's still a bit soon, but expect Nintendo to push it hard. They don't tend to really market remasters and ports that much, but it seems like they plan to market that one rather hard once it'll release.
qJ9vU1Fh.jpg

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I bouthg the limited edition on the Wii (with the golden wiimote +) and I don't have the will to replay long games like this
I bought the amiibo

I think that's enough

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cancelled my amiibo preorder (not even my favorite Zelda) but kept the standard game preorder. Will definitely play through it all for the first time, only tried some on Wii some years back. I really love the villain design.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How is the game different from botw?
They are diametrically opposed. They only resemble each other in superficial ways.

Skyward Sword is cut from the same cloth as every 3D Zelda before it, with a linear progression (even moreso than ever before in SS) and more or less the same structure and game design ethos: you go through the story motions (with a companion basically holding your hand through it the entire time in SS), one beat at a time, and slowly gaining new weapons and abilities as you clear a handful of dungeons in a specific order. It is literally nothing like the open-ended design of BOTW.

Biggest negative is that the world is tiny and there's a real dearth of environmental variety, the game forces you to go through the same locations over and over again because it simply doesn't have other places to fill the time with. And there's zero quick travel nor is the game interested in saving you any time, so a large portion of your playtime is spent doing the same trek to the same locations you've visited over and over again. And it's incredibly boring because there's essentially nothing in the overworld that links places together, visually or in terms of content. Skyward Sword needlessly pads shit out in the worst possible manner. Almost inexplicably so. It's like they spent too much time fucking around trying to implement motion controls in every single facet of the game (even when unnecessary) and forgot about the actual game.

If you can deal with its worst aspects you'll still find an engaging action adventure game with some of the high points of a classic Zelda experience: some really great and inventive dungeon design, a bunch of fun weapons/items to use, excellent boss encounters, and a charming cast of characters. The low points are just low. At the end of the day, there just aren't a lot of Zelda-type games out there. :P

Basically, the motion controls were hyped to hell and beyond with this game. Then when it turned out to be 8 angles, a thrust, a special slash and... Jumping slash? Basically like the previous games it was just kind of sad. And then they didn't even work half the time even with the Wii motion plus controller.

Total mess
And the rest is just gimmicky bullshit, there's basically nothing that could be easily done on a controller. Like there was no need to tie tilting the wiimote to flying and swimming. There's a perfectly fine analog stick right there. There are so many weird instances of motion use and so much of it feels forced upon the game. It's really funny to me they even managed to stick a drawing mini-game in there. At least they don't have you turning the wiimote every time you open a door in Skyloft. :P

I loathed the original release, but I was almost up for buying the HD re-release to play it without the motion controls, but I don't think I can do another 3D game without analog camera controls.

But this is the worst part of SS's controls, and sadly it won't be alleviated in this remaster. Having to constantly recenter yourself with Z-targeting because that's the only janky means you have of controlling the camera feels awful. Or having to go into first-person mode just to look around your environment. It is easily, for me, the most dated aspect of the game. The automatic camera in the game is not even remotely good.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
lmao the poll is telling. Skyward Sword definitely is a title many don't feel the need to play again. I can relate so much to this. Played the original as I was super hyped to play Zelda on Wii. Even got the special edition with the golden controller. Was pretty disappointed when I played through it. Didn't like the graphics, the mix between Twilight Princess (superb graphics to me) and Wind Waker (superb as well) didn't fit at all, dungeons have been disappointing to me plus getting walled pretty fast everytime you want to fly around was super annoying. I'd never play it again for the same content that was offered. They would have to change a lot to get me back to play it!
That controller is really nice though, and it was a good opportunity to get one with Wii Motion Plus built in. This time around you can buy the nice controllers separately so no sale from me.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, I'll probably still end up buying it because I'm a sucker but I'm pretty disappointed with it. This was barely okay in 2016, 5 years later, cmon Nintendo

Do we know if it's an internal port? WW was but TP was outsourced

If it was any other year I probably would skip it. But there's a game drought going on and there's nothing else that appeals around that timeframe.
hard disagree, I'm drowning lol

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would say wait for Golf to come out before they ramp up the marketing but...

It's Skyward Sword... thats a tough sell...

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Skyward Sword is my fave Zelda game, but I don't feel a need to rebuy it to replay it. I have it on Wii already. And button controls to me would make the game feel dull and too easy. I enjoyed the motion controls. Much better than Twilight Princess Wii's waggle your arm like crazy to attack stuff.

Now if they took out Imprisoned fight 2 I would think about it.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo literally has the most egregious case of micro transaction bullshit with its amibo fast travel, and, and yet that "do you like Nintendo" thread is 70# "yes". The truth is Nintendo gets away with a lot of bullshit, and they skate by through the nostalgia factor. They don't really need to do much to "sell you" anything.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Yeah, I can't wait for this to come out to see what modern reviewers think. Back when it released a lot of reviewers were enamored with motion controls. They also didn't have the hindsight of playing BotW. It's easy to think Skyward Sword is an amazing game if the last mainline Zelda game you played was Windwaker or Twilight Princess. Not so much when it's BotW.

Eagerly awaiting all those reviews from casual gamers that never touched a Zelda before BotW. Expecting the game to get metabombed for sure. :)

hmmm I played skyward sword after about 200 hours of BOTW and I had the opposite reaction. A heavily structured, curated experience with cleverly tailored puzzles and interactions as well as a meaty story with interesting characters, lore and Dramatic weight?

I adored every second of Skyward sword. It's important to note that not everybody loved Breath of the Wild and even among those who did the lack of traditional Zelda elements was one of the biggest criticisms. In a lot of ways BotW did not feel like a Zelda game and Skyward Sword is the perfect remedy to that. I doubt there is some big critical backlash incoming like you seem to believe, quite the opposite honestly.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're finally letting Groose loose, what else could you ask for?

Oct 25, 2017
But this is the worst part of SS's controls, and sadly it won't be alleviated in this remaster. Having to constantly recenter yourself with Z-targeting because that's the only janky means you have of controlling the camera feels awful. Or having to go into first-person mode just to look around your environment. It is easily, for me, the most dated aspect of the game. The automatic camera in the game is not even remotely good.
for what it's worth this twitter post seems to low-key confirm manual camera control and auto-save:

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
That last point on tutorials could be huge. Hopefully they remove Fi's dialogue where she literally gives you the solutions to puzzles

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I will definitely buy this in 2021 since I never finished the original, but this is not a day 1 purchase for me as of right now.

May 21, 2021
Perhaps the remaster has an "assist mode" option that you can simply toggle off and leave the handholding from the OG game behind.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
They are diametrically opposed. They only resemble each other in superficial ways.

Skyward Sword is cut from the same cloth as every 3D Zelda before it, with a linear progression (even moreso than ever before in SS) and more or less the same structure and game design ethos: you go through the story motions (with a companion basically holding your hand through it the entire time in SS), one beat at a time, and slowly gaining new weapons and abilities as you clear a handful of dungeons in a specific order. It is literally nothing like the open-ended design of BOTW.

Biggest negative is that the world is tiny and there's a real dearth of environmental variety, the game forces you to go through the same locations over and over again because it simply doesn't have other places to fill the time with. And there's zero quick travel nor is the game interested in saving you any time, so a large portion of your playtime is spent doing the same trek to the same locations you've visited over and over again. And it's incredibly boring because there's essentially nothing in the overworld that links places together, visually or in terms of content. Skyward Sword needlessly pads shit out in the worst possible manner. Almost inexplicably so. It's like they spent too much time fucking around trying to implement motion controls in every single facet of the game (even when unnecessary) and forgot about the actual game.

If you can deal with its worst aspects you'll still find an engaging action adventure game with some of the high points of a classic Zelda experience: some really great and inventive dungeon design, a bunch of fun weapons/items to use, excellent boss encounters, and a charming cast of characters. The low points are just low. At the end of the day, there just aren't a lot of Zelda-type games out there. :P

And the rest is just gimmicky bullshit, there's basically nothing that could be easily done on a controller. Like there was no need to tie tilting the wiimote to flying and swimming. There's a perfectly fine analog stick right there. There are so many weird instances of motion use and so much of it feels forced upon the game. It's really funny to me they even managed to stick a drawing mini-game in there. At least they don't have you turning the wiimote every time you open a door in Skyloft. :P

This is exactly how I feel about Skyward Sword.

I remember feeling really underwhelmed during the reveal and ensuing marketing cycle, but convinced myself that maybe I'd like it because a new 3D Zelda release was always basically a holiday for me.

My first thought booting it up in 2011 was "this feels like a game that could have come out 5-6 years ago". Like, the gameplay design felt dated to me already.

It took me a year and a half to finally get around to beating it, and that was only out of sheer deterministic will because "Zelda". The entire game reeked of "we need to design a whole game around a specific mechanic, and it has to be at least 60 hours long and time is running out to finish this". I get the impression that the whole thing was developed in maybe like, 2 years of active game dev time.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Daryehl

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RIo de Janeiro, Brazil
Visuals are being "worked on" poorly, they locked QoL improvements on an Amiibo and they certainly will be charging $ 60 for it. I love Nintendo, but I won't prostitute myselft to them like that. Gotta love myself a little bit, eh?

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Really should have brought WWHD and TPHD to the Switch, along with a modern remake of Minish Cap/Oracle of... series. Oh well :(

May 21, 2021
All in due time. They don't want to saturate the market with too much Zelda at once and cannibalize sales potential. Why this particular remaster now instead of any of the others? Because the sequel to Breath Of The Wild very likely has ties to the origin story told in Skyward Sword.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to sell YOU on it, they know they have the fan base that will buy almost anything. Zelda is a instant win.

RennanNT

Dec 2, 2020
Yeah. With just what we know, I'm not even sure I would pay the eventual 30% off sales it will eventually get. QoLs which could push me towards buying it:

- Press A to show the entire dialog press again to go to the next. Specially when Fi is giving useless info.
- Fast travel in the sky to bird statues and surface entries. Since the amiibo pretty much deconfirm it, at least make travel faster like in WWHD
- Shorter padding sections like they did with previous HD remasters. For example The imprisoned could take 1 hit on the first encounter and 2 hits in the second, rather than 3 times each.
- Only show the item description dialog once, or just show a notification with "press + for details".

In short, please respect my time.

Oct 27, 2017
My pre-teen nephew looked through some of my games the other day and the one game he asked to borrow was phantom hourglass. Zelda seekers find their level, this game will do alright despite the lack of all-out sales pitch.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Played he original and I'll get this one at some point on sale for $30 or $40. We'll never be able to do this but ideally there'd be a way to mix the sword controls with some traditional controls. Like I wanna still swing the sword 1-1 because using the sticks seems like it'd be miserable, but I really hope we can swim and fly with just the stick and buttons...

Glad to hear they might be fixing some of the tutorial stuff. Here's hoping they don't have to explain drops to you every single time you reboot the game as well.
The main thing I get from this game is how ponderous the combat looks. Amble up to foe, get locked on, figure out the right way to slice, take the action. It never looks very vibrant.

I want to go in on it as I have read that it has the best dungeons in the series.
Each encounter is like a little mini puzzle. It's not hard but I'd you walk up and start swinging you're gonna get hit every time. I like it personally, but I can see how it's not for everybody. But it's definitely better then then waiting for the enemy to do something and reacting to it like some Zelda's has the tendency to do.