• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you at with Skyward Sword HD?

• Played the original and am buying the remaster

Votes: 506 23.1%
  • Did not play the original and am buying the remaster

Votes: 327 15.0%
  • Played the original and am not buying the remaster

Votes: 775 35.4%
  • Did not play the original and am not buying the remaster

Votes: 431 19.7%
  • Waiting for more details from Nintendo

Votes: 148 6.8%

• Total voters

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I feel a strong wish to experience the game without the Vaseline filter. The colors and art style were great, but the image quality made it impossible for me to enjoy the game. Being free from the waggle is also a great improvement.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game when it came out, but I don't see myself getting the remaster anytime soon. There are just a lot of sections in the game that I really don't want to slog through to get to the good stuff.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Bought it day 1 on Wii and I'm not gonna buy it again for their asking price, but gonna replay it by using other methods ;p

May 21, 2021
For those of you who haven't played Skyward Sword, this 2011 IGN review of the game is worth a watch:

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
They should highlight qol features, but 60fps is a massive seller to me. That's no small feat to go in and rework the game to actually support it.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Played the first dungeon of the original release, put it down, never went back. To be fair, I was so over waggle/wii motion controller by this point that it's possible it made me dislike the game.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I enjoyed Skyward Sword, but not enough to lay down 60 dollars and however much time to replay it. The game is just too bloated. If you missed it the first time and want some Zelda though, you should definitely pick it up.

I'm still hold out hope they put Wind Waker out on Switch. That's the one I haven't played that I still want to.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Haven't played the original but the thing that has sold me the most is that opinions on the game are so conflicted that I feel like I have to experience it myself.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I don't feel like I'm one to complain about pricing much, but the price just kills it for me on this one. For $80 CAD I got the game on the Wii with the bundled Wii Remote Plus. If this were like $100 CAD with the Joy-Cons I think I would jump, but $80 CAD for the game alone feels really rough. The original version holds up perfectly well and the changes are really not very dramatic (though I would be very interested in trying the handheld control scheme).

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
So you were excited last year...but now you aren't because nintendo didn't put out a specific trailer you wanted? I'm not sure what 'qol' changes you're expecting outside of the controls, that was basically the sticking point right there outside of just literally the core level design itself which we know is not changing. It's skyward sword but with better graphics and fixed controls, not sure what else needs to be said

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
The game is like a decade old & they highlighted the changes in the first trailer idk what else you could want

Oct 27, 2017
People who enjoyed the game on Wii are more than likely gonna buy it again and newcomers are gonna buy it because it's fucking Zelda, they don't really need to change much or do a big deep dive for it to sell well.

People who consider it "the worst 3D Zelda" and won't buy it without drastic changes are a vocal minority of internet bubble people who're not their target audience and won't have any impact on the remaster's success.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I only played a few hours of it originally and I always meant to go back to it. But Wii games look so terrible on my TV, so this is a good opportunity for me to revisit it. I imagine they are overcharging for it as they usually do though.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
The dungeons on this game are great, so if that's something you really like in Zelda games (like myself), you'll probably enjoy this game a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You got to tell me which four those are, because at best I can only name 2, Ancient Cistern which is the best dungeon in the game by a long shot (quite impressive how it's the water temple of all of them, although maybe it's due to transitioning to the Shadow Temple in the second half), and the Sandship, which loses a lot of points for making you fight Celia from Monsters Inc at the end of things (Oh joy, we're this late in the game and only now we are doing "Shot the eye with your arrow" boss?)

I feel like I'm the only one who loved that boss, lol. Not as much as the Ancient Cistern's boss, of course, but still.

But the other two dungeons I loved were the 3rd dungeon (with the time shift stones) and the final dungeon (where you move the dungeon's rooms around like a puzzle).

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't be buying a game I didn't like a decade later for $30 more (in my country) than it cost back then. I'm sure plenty of other people will buy it, though.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It was a massive misstep for the franchise that is worth looking into from a historical perspective but at full price (and qol features locked behind amiibos lmao) it is absolutely not worth it if you're not already sold

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Easily the worst Nintendo Zelda title, they would have to do a lot of work for me to be interested and nothing suggests they did.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even like the Skyward Sword controls much, but calling them "waggle" tells me you don't know what waggle means.
Yeah, I meant just the general motion controls in SS. I believe waggle as a term is more appropriate for SMG. But all in all, I didn't like the Wii motion controls. Huge fun killer.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
As good as Ancient Cistern is (top 5 if not top 3 dungeon in the series IMO), too many parts of this game are tedious for a replay. Think the beginning of TP-type bad three individual times but without enough S-Tier dungeons to make it worth it. That's before getting to some of the most annoying intermittent battles that one could have thought of.

I think people make too big a deal of the controls tbh, it was the tasks that really made it a chore to play at times. Combat was actually a bright spot to me.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't own a Wii-U, so it's the only mainline Zelda title I've missed, but I don't plan to get it until it gets some sort of discount as paying full price for a bare-bones remaster is not something I want to encourage with day one purchases.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
With these Nintendo remasters it often feels like they set out to add exactly one feature that they can then trumpet as proof their game isn't "just a coat of paint over the original". What I'd like to see instead is a host of changes in response to criticism, which is what they did with WWHD (shorter triforce quest, swift sail, larger wallet sizes, shorter song playing animation, improved Picto Box storage, etc.) and TPHD. I'm concerned this will instead be a "but with Funky Kong" remaster. It really wouldn't take much to dramatically alleviate some of the criticisms of the game--instant text speed is one very obvious and easy change I recommend everyone just do themselves with Gecko OS codes if they emulate the game or play it on a hacked Wii/U.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Joypad controls and better graphics is all I needed tbh and I've played the game so I don't need Nintendo to sell me on anything here. It's a lower tier Zelda but still a worthwhile game for me and I don't expect any crazy upgrades or features.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
They need a "make Fi shut the fuck up" QOL mode or I am not interested in replaying the game at all. Such a slog despite having some really awesome dungeons.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I played the original, which is more than enough reason to deter me from touching it again.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
TP got the Tears of Light segments cut, and WW rejigged the Triforce Quest..... do we know of any big changes to SS? It had a more than a few QoL issues to iron out...

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
it's a flawed game but it's better than Windwaker and TP for me.
Best dungeons,best puzzles,best bosses,best items.

I just want to know if there are some improvements in the remaster,and if some flaws are fixed.(Fey for example).

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the original, waggle and all. I remember emulation was getting advanced when I was halfway through it and somehow pulled the save data from the Wii and carried on playing in higher resolution on the PC. Unsure if I'll play it again on Switch. Looks like I'll wait for reviews to see what's new first.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like Skyward Sword, but there ain't a chance in hell I'm gonna pay MORE for the remaster than I did in 2011 for the original

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Is this game going to have regular controls? I saw something about flicking the stick in handheld, but what about just normal ass controls?
Also is the the stick thing only in handheld or can I use the pro controller when docked?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I won't be buying a game I didn't like a decade later for $30 more (in my country) than it cost back then. I'm sure plenty of other people will buy it, though.

If I actually liked Skyward Sword, I'd have no qualms with paying full-price for it. I have next to zero desire to go back to this one. I think I'd rather play the very bad DS Zelda games over it.