• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
If we're going to use farfetched arguments, the first step to piracy is being born, so let's abolish babies. Also, I heard that studying medicine is a great step on the way of becoming a biological terrorist.

Jeez, the lengths some people on this board will go to show their reverance towards multi million dollar companies blows my mind.
Is there anything far-fetched about the notion that, on the Switch, there would literally be no cheaters or piracy if it weren't for homebrew? (Well, if it weren't for NVidia's security SNAFU, but that's a different matter.)

And you will need to find better similes - abolishing babies or medical science will benefit no-one, unlike abolishing homebrew on consoles. That, at least, has very tangible benefits for both the console manufacturers and the majority of console owners.

It's a remedy to the original harm of corporations trying to restrict your use of your own computing devices.
When it comes to online-capable gaming-focused devices, I'd say a certain amount of restriction is a good thing. Do you oppose Valve Anti-Cheat that infringes on your freedoms as well?

Guns are made for killing. You understand that hunting is killing, and self defense is using the threat of killing...
And piracy and cheating are all arbitrary third-party code.
Guns are made to shoot bullets, and the bullets determine what the effect of the gun is. Some bullets kill, some bullets cause pain, some bullets mark targets, some just make noise. Bullets can be easily obtained or even made with a modicum of skill, but without guns to fire them they are useless.
Homebrew is made to execute arbitrary code, and the code determines what the effect of homebrew is. Some code lets you run pirated games, some code lets you cheat in games, some code gives useful features, some is just harmless fun. Arbitrary code can be easily obtained or even made with a modicum of skill, but without homebrew to execute it it is useless.

Ultimately, what a tool does is determined by what it's used with. And it's somehow not surprising that people would defend and promote access to the tool regardless of what damage it can do, if it provides them with some tangential benefit.

Oh. You're one of those people.
People who can see cause and effect apparently, yes.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I set up my own store inside my house with items that I bought, then I showed people how to take them off the shelf and out of my house. Now this is all completely legal because I own all the items in the store. I trust that viewers will set up their own store to shoplift from and not shoplift from Walmart
you can keep making the scenario even more stupid if you want. it's not the same thing.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
If it's their content, they can take it down. Shitty, but that's the way it is. Fair Use is a doctrine that is mainly for U.S. with some similar legislation around the world. In many EU countries Fair Use doesn't exist as such. YouTube videos are global and can be subject to hundreds of different laws. If looking at it from purely U.S. point of view there are 4 questions that must be looked as per the legislation:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
Now this kind of videos would need to be taken to a court to get a definitive view, but if the video is monetized, it's more than likely it's not fair use. The second question in these cases would be irrelevant and in this case the third point, the use of copyrighted work is limited. Nintendo could argue in courts that showing how to circumvent the copyright protection of their devices would affect negatively their ability to exploit their own market. While Homebrew is perfectly legal and a great thing, the side effect is that some bad eggs use the homebrew community to enable pirate copies of games. Leaving works like this online could therefore potentially harm Nintendo's ability to exploit their own market. The burden of proof lies on Nintendo though.
In summarum; Fair Use doctrine is not clearly cut for either way. The copyright laws around the world include anti-circumvention laws so those might be taken into consideration as well.

Note: I am a Civil Law lawyer, not Common Law lawyer, so any U.S. lawyer can correct me on this.

Shame though, as homebrew usually enables great things.

I'm pretty sure showing how "jailbreaking" a device works is not a violation of any copyright and way more protected in the EU than it is in the US.

You own the hardware, modifying it is not a copyright issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it though? I mean, you really gonna sit here and say most of all homebrews on a console (especially a handheld like the switch) aren't used for illegally using Rom's? I'm legitimately asking this, what other reason do the *majority* of people who have their gaming devices use it for?

I'm not trying to make the few that use it without stealing feel like their doing something wrong, but let's not kid ourselves.
I used CFW on my 3DS to stream/record video and use an external controller because Nintendo's hardware hurts my hands. It was also nice to be able to capture screenshots after they disbanded the Miiverse service with no replacement. Being able to tinker with your hard-/software like this is normal on more open platforms like the PC, which is doing quite well despite the possibility of piracy those options inherently entail.

Haven't gotten into Switch hacking yet, but the fact that they have Linux running on the thing opens a staggering amount of things you can do with the thing, all just as legitimate as any other Linux installation.
And I don't care what you think, I agree with him, if it's better for not just Nintendo, but Sony, and Microsoft, then I'm all for it.
Good for you, but those companies care about their bottom line more than about you and your consumer rights.
Is it? Why? As I stated I was legitimately asking, what are the reasons to homebrew?
You're coming at it from the wrong angle. Having control over a device you own is the norm — and your right — Nintendo is restricting it. The question becomes: why should you kowtow to a soulless corporate entity that optimizes for profit maximization, not your benefit?
When it comes to online-capable gaming-focused devices, I'd say a certain amount of restriction is a good thing. Do you oppose Valve Anti-Cheat that infringes on your freedoms as well.
Nope, just as Nintendo banning hacked Switches from their online services isn't. No one here has complained about that, since we understand it's also within Nintendo's rights not to want dodgy devices on their servers.

Also, since Valve isn't a backwards company (in these regards) they allow anyone to simply run their own servers to do whatever they want. No holds barred! I'm not much into CS:GO, but for all the other GoldSrc/Source games, some great stuff relied on modded servers.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything far-fetched about the notion that, on the Switch, there would literally be no cheaters or piracy if it weren't for homebrew? (Well, if it weren't for NVidia's security SNAFU, but that's a different matter.)

And you will need to find better similes - abolishing babies or medical science will benefit no-one, unlike abolishing homebrew on consoles. That, at least, has very tangible benefits for both the console manufacturers and the majority of console owners.

When it comes to online-capable gaming-focused devices, I'd say a certain amount of restriction is a good thing. Do you oppose Valve Anti-Cheat that infringes on your freedoms as well?

And piracy and cheating are all arbitrary third-party code.
Guns are made to shoot bullets, and the bullets determine what the effect of the gun is. Some bullets kill, some bullets cause pain, some bullets mark targets, some just make noise. Bullets can be easily obtained or even made with a modicum of skill, but without guns to fire them they are useless.
Homebrew is made to execute arbitrary code, and the code determines what the effect of homebrew is. Some code lets you run pirated games, some code lets you cheat in games, some code gives useful features, some is just harmless fun. Arbitrary code can be easily obtained or even made with a modicum of skill, but without homebrew to execute it it is useless.

Ultimately, what a tool does is determined by what it's used with. And it's somehow not surprising that people would defend and promote access to the tool regardless of what damage it can do, if it provides them with some tangential benefit.

People who can see cause and effect apparently, yes.

At the end of the day, modifying the technology you own is not illegal (at least not in the EU, it might be that the law is different in other countries). It's also something that has always been done by hobbyists who are as interested in the inner workings of their gadgets as the actual usage of them. Furthermore, it is also something that absolutely can be used for other things than piracy.

Equating homebrewing with piracy is disingenuous. Sure, there is an overlap, but the two are not the same.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
I'm pretty sure showing how "jailbreaking" a device works is not a violation of any copyright and way more protected in the EU than it is in the US.

You own the hardware, modifying it is not a copyright issue.
In EU showcasing how to jailbreak a device, if it circumvents the active copy protection can actually constitute as a crime in some countries if you want to go exactly like the law says. Some IPR lawyers are of that mind that even DVD's CP is strong enough for this legislation, while I personally find BD to be the level of strong protection. Additionally computer programs, such as videogames are protected more heavily under the copyright directives and local legislation. Jailbreaking your own device however is perfectly fine.

My post was merely commenting on the Fair Use claims here very, very briefly and not nearly in-depth enough.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Equating homebrewing with piracy is disingenuous. Sure, there is an overlap, but the two are not the same.
This isn't mathematics though, saying "Piracy=Homebrew" is not equivalent to saying "Homebrew=Piracy". All oranges are fruit but not all fruit are oranges, etc. All I am saying is that piracy and cheating is impossible without open access - i.e. homebrew. Thus homebrew is at best doomed to be collateral damage in the fight against piracy and cheating.

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord, the corporate bootlickers in this thread. It's embarrassing.

People using homebrew to defend Nintendo's behaviour overlook the fact Nintendo have been using these tactics against numerous Youtube accounts which have nothing to do with discussing homebrew. Jim Sterling for one.

Fuck Nintendo.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
People on YouTube need to remember YouTube is owned by google. Google sells Nintendo games on the android marketplace. They will side with Nintendo in most of these situations. Also with Google launching their own gaming platform, you'll be seeing a lot more of this now that they need to work with developers and publishers to sell games.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The question becomes: why should you kowtow to a soulless corporate entity that optimizes for profit maximization, not your benefit?
Is it really so hard to understand, that money pays for all of the development of the hardware, software and the services, a company provides. Also the people behind the "soulless" company, who need the money to life from.
If you like the hardware and software, you should support the company to make even more products. Otherwise you just punish yourself in the long run.

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't mathematics though, saying "Piracy=Homebrew" is not equivalent to saying "Homebrew=Piracy". All oranges are fruit but not all fruit are oranges, etc. All I am saying is that piracy and cheating is impossible without open access - i.e. homebrew. Thus homebrew is at best doomed to be collateral damage in the fight against piracy and cheating.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really so hard to understand, that money pays for all of the development of the hardware, software and the services, a company provides. Also the people behind the "soulless" company, who need the money to life from.
If you like the hardware and software, you should support the company to make even more products. Otherwise you just punish yourself in the long run.

what if you like the hardware, pay for it and then mod it to run software nintendo didn't make? how is that wrong?

Oct 27, 2017
I am supporting them. I've bought every Nintendo console ever made besides the Virtual Boy and never pirated a game. I buy more games than most consumers, going by reports about attach rates. Again, stop equating homebrew to piracy. It's dishonest and wrong.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you're right. People modding games are literally stealing from the poor workers at your favorite company.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
Good for you, but those companies care about their bottom line more than about you and your consumer rights.

You're coming at it from the wrong angle. Having control over a device you own is the norm — and your right — Nintendo is restricting it. The question becomes: why should you kowtow to a soulless corporate entity that optimizes for profit maximization, not your benefit?

I'm sure there are people like you who don't abuse and/or legitimately want to know what's ticking inside any gaming device, I get that.

But, I love this hobby more than the fact that a multi billion dollar company will get richer or not.

I feel hacking any gaming device *for the purpose to download Rom's they could easily buy* is detrimental to the industry and hobby. And I have to admit that I believe *most* people who watch those videos are out to do just that.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
How is it so wrong for me to modify my hardware to allow mods, save edit on SP games, Emulation for titles I previously purchased on other platforms, PC Streaming, etc.

Arguing that people who run Homebrew on consoles are all Hackers & Pirates is a load of crap and might as well count as bad faith posting.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
People on YouTube need to remember YouTube is owned by google. Google sells Nintendo games on the android marketplace. They will side with Nintendo in most of these situations. Also with Google launching their own gaming platform, you'll be seeing a lot more of this now that they need to work with developers and publishers to sell games.

Yep, you'll always be at the mercy of at least 2 corporations if you monetize on YouTube. It sucks that you have to be so careful, and I do understand why Nintendo would go in on his channel, but the only way to win their game is to avoid playing it from the start. Hopefully that changes.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am supporting them. I've bought every Nintendo console ever made besides the Virtual Boy and never pirated a game. I buy more games than most consumers, going by reports about attach rates. Again, stop equating homebrew to piracy. It's dishonest and wrong.
Did i say that? I didn't say all homebrew is piracy.
I just wanted to comment on the weird sentence, on why company want to make money with there products and why it is in your and my special interested, if they do.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The same arguments you're using were used by the automotive industry to try to ban people from repairing their own cars, or use non genuine but high quality aftermarket parts including different oils etc.

It's anti consumer to restrict access to a product you own. You've bought the hardware, why shouldn't you have the right to do as you please with it? Using it to tinker, to play with homebrew etc shouldn't be cause for a company to take action against you. Piracy obviously should.

We shouldn't be signing our rights away because of non sequitur like the above arguments. Nothing about homebrew precludes the user from buying games or hardware, in fact plenty of people who do so are those who buy more than the norm.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

You do realize that the money didn't appear out of thin air? It came from paying consumers.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop putting words in my mouth, people. I am completely fine with modifying hardware.

I personally don't understand it, because there are many different forms of handheld device out there, which give you more options and are less of a headache.

You do realize that the money didn't appear out of thin air? It came from paying consumers.
Yes, the money came from paying consuners. What is your point?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there are people like you who don't abuse and/or legitimately want to know what's ticking inside any gaming device, I get that.

But, I love this hobby more than the fact that a multi billion dollar company will get richer or not.

I feel hacking any gaming device *for the purpose to download Rom's they could easily buy* is detrimental to the industry and hobby. And I have to admit that I believe *most* people who watch those videos are out to do just that.
I can appreciate that, and I love this hobby too. But the reality is that hacking, homebrew, modding, and so on, have been around for decades and the industry has yet to go up in flames. Even if you disregard the other uses of homebrew and focus just on emulation, it's not obvious that it's as big a threat as corporations make it out to be. Case in point, Nintendo has been screaming that emulation is "the greatest threat to date" since 1999 — twenty years now — while being very alive and healthy and rakin' in dat dough, still making amazing games.
Did i say that? I didn't say all homebrew is piracy.
I just wanted to comment on the weird sentence, on why company want to make money with there products and why it is in your and my special interested, if they do.
It was to point out that a company's interests aren't necessarily your interests.
Homebrew does not equal piracy. However, piracy equals homebrew. Both statements are true.
You're looking for implication. Pretty meaningless, though.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i do support them. i buy their shit that interests me. my loyalty and responsibility ends there.

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By Posting
So Nintendo should not try to protect their copyright? They should just let people promote piracy and steal their games?

I bet you'd all be thinking very differently if someone was stealing the games/movies/books/music that you made yourself...

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Promoting homebrew isn't the same as promoting piracy

MVG is great. Nintendo are very clearly abusing DMCA.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lol they do this because they are Major Corp X and their targets have pretty much no recourse especially since Google automates most of this shit anyway. It doesn't matter what stake they have in the industry.

More developers and publishers aren't going to do this because they know it's a fool's errand. Google if anything is going to play into the streaming / video market by prompting users to play the game the current 'influencer' is playing. There's going to be way more footage on Youtube, not less.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank for the link! I'm not really sure tho if the Switch qualifies as "all purposes". But yeah, in that case the guy should take Nintendo to court.

They know he can't. That's the whole purpose of these takedowns for these companies. Literally nobody can afford to take them to court because even a single strike derails a channel and it takes years and resources they don't have. They win by default because anyone that's trying to have an active channel has to give in if they want to make videos in the next few years.

The only time we've seen anyone take these things to court (and they've usually won) is when it's some random person that got luck with a viral video (iirc a baby dancing to Prince) and hadn't made video making a part of their career. Because they could afford the time and channel being derailed.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So Nintendo should not try to protect their copyright? They should just let people promote piracy and steal their games?

I bet you'd all be thinking very differently if someone was stealing the games/movies/books/music that you made yourself...
Good thing that MVG doesn't talk or condone piracy and nor does the people here then?

Modification of property you own is not piracy. Would you expect the Estate of Tolkien to come after you for scribbling your own notes and riffing on The Hobbit on YouTube?

To you, that's stealing, apparently.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I disagree with calling or equating homebrews as piracy, but I honestly find it rather strange that it seems that for some that dwell in homebrew, the notion that piracy is the largest activity that is born from it is something that they seem so adamant in not acknowledging.

It is what it is.

Unless there's some research out there that I don't know refuting that.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They know he can't. That's the whole purpose of these takedowns for these companies. Literally nobody can afford to take them to court because even a single strike derails a channel and it takes years and resources they don't have. They win by default because anyone that's trying to have an active channel has to give in if they want to make videos in the next few years.

The only time we've seen anyone take these things to court (and they've usually won) is when it's some random person that got luck with a viral video (iirc a baby dancing to Prince) and hadn't made video making a part of their career. Because they could afford the time and channel being derailed.
Why not crowd founding then? Serious question.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Homebrew does not equal piracy. However, piracy equals homebrew. Both statements are true.
Nah. Even if I agreed to this silly wording, there were multiple cases of piracy being enabled without arbitrary code execution being involved. There were the button flashcard on 3DS, PS4 flashing hack, 360 drive hacks and ODEs, maybe more. Right now the situation with post-keychange PS3s is similar, homebrew is limited to running on a system PS3 emulates.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i have talked about it many times in the past. you're welcome to come to iran and go to a shop and buy me any of the recently released switch games from game shops (that sell all the latest ps4 games, btw), i'd pay you twice as much as you paid for it. before the hacking, all the shops imported several copies of the big games. now even if you go ask for something they'd look at you like you're crazy and ask why you haven't hacked your switch. piracy, when possible, is the norm in third party countries. perhaps you guys are living in markets where piracy is not legal so people have to do it on the down low, but here where no one gives a fuck, it lead to switch physical games pretty much being impossible to get without going through a bunch of extra hassle.
some posts i've made in the past about it:

They dont care lol. I even have replied at the past with the example of how 90% of South East Asia gaming market is destroyed thanks to piracy so badly that now most game companies here just make mobile f2p or pc online games as single player game is prone for piracy.

Indonesia for example have seen PS4 retail game market destroyed after PS4 is easy to pirate. Literally 90% of game sellers just tell new buyers to pirate their console as it is damn cheap and no risk.

However for those on the more modern countries, they dont give an F as it is not their problem.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not crowd founding then? Serious question.
Because that strike sits on their account still. So they have to deal with the consequences of that, and then if they get anymore it means dealing with even harsher penalties. So their channel is effectively forfeit. If it's part of your career they can't afford the channel being in that state. Crowd funding only helps with that one part. There's no helping the time aspect, nor the way the channel is limited

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Refering to "Nintendo Game Content Guidelines for Online Video & Image Sharing Platforms"
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/networkservice_guideline/en/index.html
We reserve the right to remove any content that we believe is unlawful, infringing, inappropriate, or not in line with these Guidelines.
Q10: Will there be cases where Nintendo will remove content from sharing platforms?
A10: Yes, we reserve the right to remove any content that we believe is unlawful, infringing, inappropriate, or not in line with the Guidelines. In some cases, Nintendo may take down videos on behalf of our third-party partners.

Q11: What do you mean by content that is "unlawful, infringing, or inappropriate"?
A11: Examples of unlawful, infringing, or inappropriate content include, but are not limited to, content that incorporates Nintendo intellectual property and:
- Violates applicable laws;
- Infringes the intellectual property rights of Nintendo; and/or
- Features pirated Nintendo software.
In short, they have the right to remove videos that they saw not fit with their guidelines. But yeah, they way Nintendo did it is kinda stinky but oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Nintendo. I wish I could say something more nuanced but nah, they don't deserve it. I was specifically considering buying a Switch and all of the interesting exclusive games it has thanks to his channel but that is not happening now.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with calling or equating homebrews as piracy, but I honestly find it rather strange that it seems that for some that dwell in homebrew, the notion that piracy is the largest activity that is born from it is something that they seem so adamant in not acknowledging.

It is what it is.

Unless there's some research out there that I don't know refuting that.
I can't speak for everyone, but the argument is less that it doesn't exist or isn't a large factor, but that its threat to business isn't as big as people make it out to be, so it's not worth giving up the other liberties of homebrew for it. Just look at the most open platform on the market, PC, where you can pirate games in a few clicks with no modification to your operating system or hardware. It's more open and easy than any custom firmware I've ever seen (besides Linux on Switch :p) Yet, despite this openness and ease of piracy, the platform is pretty much on par with the available consoles combined:

6VyJHuD.jpg

Note the huge share of Mobile as well, another platform where jailbreaking and piracy are possible. So, to me, the piracy-pearl-clutching regarding homebrew and the opening up of your own devices seems simply off base. That's not to say piracy doesn't happen thanks to homebrew, clearly it does, but the platforms with readily available custom firmware and piracy enabled through that don't seem to be hurting compared to the ones that try to restrict their consumers.

Want to disclaim that I'm not condoning or excusing piracy in any way; don't do it, kids.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reserving the right to do something doesn't mean they actually have that right. Terms of service have been struck down in court multiple times despite similar language.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It never seize to amaze me how many people defend a violation of a console's TOS when it comes to homebrew, let along publishing the method.

DMCA is just a quick way to take down such instruction.
The only thing the TOS allows is for them to ban you from their online service. They do not own your console and they cannot dictate what you do with it.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Love how any thread that's about homebrew or related topics always brings out the corporate bootlickers.

Gotta defend our poor little defenseless multibillion dollar corporations!

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
My friend modded his Wii U to play WW Randomizer and ive modded my Wii in the past to do things like allow you to copy save files for games you couldnt otherwise.

Not to mention we have people in our community like LuigiBlood who do things like promote the release of the super famicom SDK which recently came out. This is so ridiculous of Nintendo to bother with.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people are defending Nintendo in here? Bwahaha. Unbelievable. Yeah, I bet this Youtuber was really doing a number on their bottom line.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They dont care lol. I even have replied at the past with the example of how 90% of South East Asia gaming market is destroyed thanks to piracy so badly that now most game companies here just make mobile f2p or pc online games as single player game is prone for piracy.

Indonesia for example have seen PS4 retail game market destroyed after PS4 is easy to pirate. Literally 90% of game sellers just tell new buyers to pirate their console as it is damn cheap and no risk.

However for those on the more modern countries, they dont give an F as it is not their problem.
true, people advocating for hacking and homebrew dgaf about how it has affected smaller markets.

Oct 27, 2017
My friend modded his Wii U to play WW Randomizer and ive modded my Wii in the past to do things like allow you to copy save files for games you couldnt otherwise.

Not to mention we have people in our community like LuigiBlood who do things like promote the release of the super famicom SDK which recently came out. This is so ridiculous of Nintendo to bother with.
Hell yeah, brother. Thanks to modding, we also finally have female Link in a proper Zelda game, even on Switch:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
true, people advocating for hacking and homebrew dgaf about how it has affected smaller markets.

Conveniently overlooking how in many of those smaller markets the accessibility to games is probably shit and the prices for software as hardware are outrageous compared to average living wages. It's not (only) the homebrew boogeyman at fault here.