• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean even if they had been it'd be under NDA and they wouldn't be able to say anything right?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hope before Switch End Twilight Princess gets ported over to the Switch. It's the best Zelda and my personal favourite by far.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One game has a riveting story, amazing dungeons, cool and unique locales, timeless characters, and interesting villains.

This is not the Twilight Princess I played but glad you enjoyed it.

The other game is BotW. A bland, empty sandbox with a barebones story and the bare minimum in terms of dungeons.

I can't think of a single tihng that BOTW didn't do better than Twilight princess, or other 3D Zelda games for that matter.

Nov 8, 2017
I guess they're saving some ports for later. They've sprinkled ports in their release came far to pad it out and it's 3o4k3r) worked well for them so far.

Even though it is annoying to me.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a single tihng that BOTW didn't do better than Twilight princess, or other 3D Zelda games for that matter.
First of all I can't think of a single interesting location in BotW, beyond maybe the ninja hideout. Everything else is just boring wilderness, copy-paste dungeon room aesthetics, a couple big towns, and mob camps. It's been years since I've played TP but I remember it has that cool snow mansion, the sweet sky temple, the twilight realm bits, and potentially the most interesting castle town in the series.

Yes, BotW has better core mechanics. But that alone doesn't make it a great Zelda game. TP and Skyward Sword are just way more interesting experiences with better art, music, dungeons, and infinitely more memorable moments. Not that you aren't entitled to your own opinion on this of course.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I once again ask why Nintendo would keep Tantalus apprised of this information. They haven't had anything to do with the game since their contract work ended years ago.
Well, going off the article, it doesn't sound like they were keeping them apprised exactly, but rather they were just answering Tantalus's questions? It seems like Tantalus either approached Nintendo to port Twilight Princess HD or brought it up during another conversation with them, and Nintendo told them they don't have any plans for it and it's "not a priority". Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Tantalus not being involved hardly guarantees that they're not coming to Switch. The main work that's needed with those versions is reverting the inventory systems to the classic versions, otherwise these remasters are basically ready to go. Do you really need to hire Tantalus for that?

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"Can we get BOTW2?"
"We have BOTW2 at home."

- Twilight Princess HD Announced for Switch -

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't it only Jeff Grubb saying they were coming? Has he ever reported on anything accurately for Nintendo in the past (I'm only asking because I genuinely don't know, actually)? I thought he was mainly an Xbox insider?
I believe that was more speculation on his part rather than him saying he had heard they were coming. He was the one to report on the Prime remaster though that hasn't been announced yet? Hard to remember, though he generally has a good track record.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's exactly as you said. But we need another thread with Zelda fans stabbing each other.
I hate how every zelda thread devolves into "Your fave zelda actually sucks" here

Like seriously this is a highly rated series of beloved games that mean so much to peole do we REALLY need to have so much negativity as a fanbase?
Why dont we talk about trh cool things th3 series has done for once. Our fave characters and items??

But no we need to talk about

"Actually linear zelda sucks"

"Actually open world zelda sucks"

"Actually zelda hasnt been good since Zelda1/ alttp/ OoT/MM/WW"

For the 1 trillionth time and act like its such an edgy take

Like youd think the franchise is goddamn modern sonic the hedgehog tier of awfulness the way people talk.

This is why i prefer to talk with casual zelda fans, they actually prefer talking about things they like for once instead of just dunking all the time like hardcore ones

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
blu1304-meme-2k-v3.jpg

Damn, is that a 3D model, or upressed with Ai learning or something ?? :0

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: Seems you were right after all.
Yeah, that seemed familiar. The unfortunate thing about Grubb's position and his generally good track record is you have people just writing up stories just from his speculation. At least Nintendo Life paid close enough attention to realize this was speculation on his part and him not claiming to have any knowledge here. I think Grubb's logic is strong and as I've said before considering how little work is needed to bring those games to Switch I don't think Tantalus not being involved guarantees anything BUT technically no information around these remasters existing was ever actually leaked.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
If they don't reply that makes it obvious they're under NDA.
The topic would be asked to be removed from the podcast in editing in a case like that.

Speaking as someone who has been under NDA for entirely unrelated stuff, I just actively avoid the topics. In a podcast the interviewers would be made aware that they could not ask about certain topics before recording even starts. In more intense cases they would have denied the interview entirely.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
These 3D Zelda threads are quite toxic now, damn

Any excuse to start crying about the direction the franchise has gone in

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I hate how every zelda thread devolves into "Your fave zelda actually sucks" here

Like seriously this is a highly rated series of beloved games that mean so much to peole do we REALLY need to have so much negativity as a fanbase?
Why dont we talk about trh cool things th3 series has done for once. Our fave characters and items??

Like youd think the franchise is goddamn modern sonic the hedgehog tier of awfulness the way people talk.

This is why i prefer to talk with casual zelda fans, they actually prefer talking about things they like for once instead of just dunking all the time like hardcore ones
Something we can all agree on is Wand of Gamelon is the peak of the series.

hqdefault.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
These 3D Zelda threads are quite toxic now, damn

Any excuse to start crying about the direction the franchise has gone in
If nothing else, it speaks to how disruptive of a game Breath of the Wild is. Everybody got extremely comfortable with what a 3D Zelda was expected to be and BOTW shattered that expectation. People can love it or hate it, but it highlighted Nintendo's willingness to subvert expectations. It's only natural that it's caused such a massive schism for online discussions.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, that seemed familiar. The unfortunate thing about Grubb's position and his generally good track record is you have people just writing up stories just from his speculation. At least Nintendo Life paid close enough attention to realize this was speculation on his part and him not claiming to have any knowledge here. I think Grubb's logic is strong and as I've said before considering how little work is needed to bring those games to Switch I don't think Tantalus not being involved guarantees anything BUT technically no information around these remasters existing was ever actually leaked.
Right, gotcha. Well, the logic is sound, but really, if Nintendo had ever wanted to do these ports, why wouldn't they have done them by now? I mean, I don't know if it's some weird internal logic on Nintendo's part (like "these games have already been remastered, so we can't release them again"), or if they just don't think they would sell enough to justify the porting costs or what, but it just seems to me like if they wanted to do it and thought it would be worthwhile, they would've already done so by now, no?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Right, gotcha. Well, the logic is sound, but really, if Nintendo had ever wanted to do these ports, why wouldn't they have done them by now? I mean, I don't know if it's some weird internal logic on Nintendo's part (like "these games have already been remastered, so we can't release them again"), or if they just don't think they would sell enough to justify the porting costs or what, but it just seems to me like if they wanted to do it and thought it would be worthwhile, they would've already done so by now, no?
Nintendo is all about doing things at what they perceive to be the right time. That said, I think Grubb is right in that if we want to see these anytime soon the window is closing. Starting to think ports of these remasters could be an early Switch 2 thing.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If nothing else, it speaks to how disruptive of a game Breath of the Wild is. Everybody got extremely comfortable with what a 3D Zelda was expected to be and BOTW shattered that expectation. People can love it or hate it, but it highlighted Nintendo's willingness to subvert expectations. It's only natural that it's caused such a massive schism for online discussions.
Great point. The fact that it also redefined what an open world game can be (of course with influence) considering this was Nintendo's first attempt at it is nothing short of amazing.

If anything, people that didn't like BOTW for select reasons (durability, lack of traditional dungeons etc), may end up finding themselves interested in the sequel because of how Nintendo may have iterated and refined these systems to better fit the game.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nintendo is all about doing things at what they perceive to be the right time. That said, I think Grubb is right in that if we want to see these anytime soon the window is closing. Starting to think ports of these remasters could be an early Switch 2 thing.
Well, I hope you're right in the end, I'd take them whenever Nintendo wanted to release them. At this point, I'd just like to have them on something modern before my Wii U kicks the bucket. :(

Oct 27, 2017
Something we can all agree on is Wand of Gamelon is the peak of the series.
Ofc . Gaming hasnt been as good since
Great point. The fact that it also redefined what an open world game can be (of course with influence) considering this was Nintendo's first attempt at it is nothing short of amazing.

If anything, people that didn't like BOTW for select reasons (durability, lack of traditional dungeons etc), may end up finding themselves interested in the sequel because of how Nintendo may have iterated and refined these systems to better fit the game.
As ive been saying tireless every BOTW thread. The zelda team is highly intuned to fan feedback. I assure that an reasonable criticsm of the first game will be adressed in 2. (Ie not feed back such as "dont be open world")

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they just do this in-house? Why do they need Tantalus when most of the work is already done?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
User Banned (1 Day): Threadwhining; Drive-By Posting

Every Zelda thread is a cesspool here. It's a shame.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is unfortunate but I'm really not surprised. It's been rumored for several years now with no real evidence that it was coming. I had a sneaking suspicion that's it's just not happening. Glad I held onto my Wii U copies. Might be the last versions of Wind Waker/Twilight Princess that we ever get.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I really hope this means they either have another studio porting it or they're doing it themselves because… come on nintendo… porting these two games over isn't a big ask.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let the dream die (for now).
There are enough great Switch games coming this year.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is unfortunate but I'm really not surprised. It's been rumored for several years now with no real evidence that it was coming. I had a sneaking suspicion that's it's just not happening. Glad I held onto my Wii U copies. Might be the last versions of Wind Waker/Twilight Princess that we ever get.
Yeah, I'm thinking Wii U could be the last time we ever see these games get released too. It's absolutely tragic too, because these games are true classics that deserve to be easily accessible not just to us, but to new generations of Nintendo fans as well, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards.
I really hope this means they either have another studio porting it or they're doing it themselves because… come on nintendo… porting these two games over isn't a big ask.
I don't think so, unfortunately. The phrasing implies Tantalus spoke to Nintendo about this and were told ports of these games are not something Nintendo is interested in doing.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, it speaks to how disruptive of a game Breath of the Wild is. Everybody got extremely comfortable with what a 3D Zelda was expected to be and BOTW shattered that expectation

Yet, a good portion of the fanbase "and reviews" complained how Skyward was "playing it rather safe" when it was released and the time has come to shaken up the formula. Not to mention how Skyward was the lowest "or 2nd lowest?" 3D Zelda game in terms of sales. Combining these two points together make can't blame Nintendo for taking a new direction with the installment. BotW brought so many new people to the Zelda franchise for the first time "+26 million copy sold" and many loved it. Don't think it would be possible with the old direction.

But hey: different strokes for different folks no matter the direction is.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
These ports shouldn't happen is my hot take. WW and TP happened as fast, cheap jobs because the Wii U needed immediate filler in its library and the architectural compatibility of GCN>Wii>Wii U easily facilitated this. Those games are improved, they are already 1080p, and it would probably take more to transition the games from Wii U to Switch than is worth it.

BotW 2 is coming within a year, it will likely have DLC, SS HD wasn't really that long ago, and there could well be another Grezzo project in the works. Let's allow these games to be part of an online service or be 4k filler in the Switch 2 library.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, until Nintendo announced the games, theyd say exactly this regardless of whether they were working on it, had already done it, or had never been approached at all.

There would be zero changes between the answers they gave in any of those cases.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
These ports shouldn't happen is my hot take. WW and TP happened as fast, cheap jobs because the Wii U needed immediate filler in its library and the architectural compatibility of GCN>Wii>Wii U easily facilitated this. Those games are improved, they are already 1080p, and it would probably take more to transition the games from Wii U to Switch than is worth it.

BotW 2 is coming within a year, it will likely have DLC, SS HD wasn't really that long ago, and there could well be another Grezzo project in the works. Let's allow these games to be part of an online service or be 4k filler in the Switch 2 library.
Saying you don't think they will happen, or that you don't care about them getting ported is one thing, but why would you not want them to happen? This viewpoint is one I really can't understand. We're talking about ports here, it's not going to take away from any new games Nintendo would release, just like all their other Wii U ports didn't. It wouldn't impact BOTW 2 or any projects from Nintendo. The architectural differences wouldn't likely give them anymore trouble than any of the other Wii U ports they've done, either (and they've also ported/emulated GameCube and Wii games on Switch as well).

Last edited:

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Dang that sucks. I was hoping to see TP&WW HD land on switch on some point. Wind Waker is up there as one of my all time favorites, loved the remaster (I miss the GBA tingle part for some reason IDK). Maybe one day they will come.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I thought people claimed this was a done deal already and they were just sitting on it. Or am I thinking of the elusive Prime remaster?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It couldnt be handled internally because Nintendo is too busy porting Metroid Prime trilogy!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Same reason as to why we can't have a BOTW2 thread without it turning into a "ZELDA NEDDS TO BE PLAYABLE".

Not even remotely the same thing.

Going into a thread to announce "I think (critically acclaimed game here) sucks" is not the same thing as believing Zelda should be playable.

People are rightfully tired of Zelda being a damsel in every game and Nintendo doing everything possible to not have her be playable.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Not even remotely the same thing.

Going into a thread to announce "I think (critically acclaimed game here) sucks" is not the same thing as believing Zelda should be playable.

People are rightfully tired of Zelda being a damsel in every game and Nintendo doing everything possible to not have her be playable.

Sure, but that doesn't mean the thread should automatically be turned into that.