• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
It would be nice to play something new for a change...

Only bought two games for my Switch this year — Paper Mario and Animal Crossing ... 🏝

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is almost assured due to stock constraints and shortages that the pandemic is going to make worse. But does that help with regard to revenue? Nintendo definitely profits off of their hardware sold, but the days of selling hardware at a loss are gone in general, and I can't imagine Sony and MS will want to do this either.
The attach rate on this system is huge. If you are just now buying a Switch, you're buying Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc. Hell, now you're probably buying a couple Mario games. Nintendo doesn't require new software this Christmas to sell a ton of software and a ton of hardware. They have no real competition at this moment for being top dog. Obviously as others have pointed out there's still time for them to announce a November title, but they don't really need to. They're probably better of positioning a big release opposite the Switch Pro in 2021.

Oct 29, 2017
I think with the Pandemic, we aren't going to see an surge of people shopping during November. There's a lot of uncertainty going on in the US. The idea of an major retailer having Black Friday sales seems irresponsible.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
It's the start of September and we usually get a Pokémon announcement around this time of year.

People. Need. To. Go. Play. Games. And. Chill.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
It would be nice to play something new for change...

Only bought two games for my Switch this year — Paper Mario and Animal Crossing ... 🏝
Yeah I agree– I only bought Animal Crossing from Nintendo. Luckily the Switch has been my go-to indie machine so there's still a lot of stuff to play, but damn the remasters, rereleases and stuff.

Nintendo's new offerings feel super dry this year.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
So is this just in regards to first party titles? If so, does microsoft or sony release 1st party titles at least every month as well? Or is it just this particular month that is the issue.

Oct 27, 2017
There's an obvious explanation - Mario 3D World + was meant to be the major holiday release, until COVID-19 happened. But with zero games this holiday outside of a handful of ports, and going up against two heavily-hyped console launches, I can't imagine how Nintendo comes out of their Q3 doing well.
I think is overblown. They're going to be fine. People don't have money right now and early console adopters will not be swayed either way.

we have
Mario 3D All Stars 9/18
Mario Kart Live 10/16
Mario Battle Royale (October?)
Pikmin 3 10/31
And presumably Pokémon sword DLC at some point

they do not need a November game and with so many games coming out then and next gen it would be a bad idea to launch then. You don't want your $100 Mario Kart game competing the same week with$400+ consoles

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
We got two more months for them to drop at least one or two "Specific Directs" for game announcements along with their Partner Showcase. Something will get filled up for November, even if it's a single game.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they'll have something. I was surprised there wasn't a Mario Party game in today's presentation but considering how much other Mario stuff is there they must be waiting until next year.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Between Covid delays and competing for money with 2 next gen systems, I think they might just be punting this holiday with any big release as they are still selling a lot of hardware and do have -some- software.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like I wasn't even expecting the collection to release in mere weeks with all this talk about it being pushed back to fill November.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
It's a negative to avoid releasing titles during launch the launch month of two consoles? I thought it was brilliant to release earlier than November, and they can always give liek a $10 discount to their titles to push them. Seems like a win-win for them.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The person I was replying to was obviously talking about AAA exclusives. I don't think Battletoads fits that.

EDIT: Just realized I left off Minecraft Dungeons, but excuse me for forgetting about Bleeding Edge like the rest of the world did.
AAA or not, I don't think it's fair to dismiss titles like Gears Tactics, Grounded, or Ori. It's like when people say Nintendo games like Clubhouse Games don't count because "reasons".

Jan 10, 2018
The unhealthy obsession of forums over specifically Nintendo releasing a game on a Nintendo plattform, tells me too many of you grew up during the N64/NGC era were we had nothing but Nintendo on a Nintendo plattform.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
starting to believe in breath of the wild 2 again. that, or there will just be a retail version of pokemon sword and shield + dlc.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm new to this but.....what exactly is the concern here? Do they have to release a game in November? Is this new for them? Is it critical to release it in that month specifically?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
AAA or not, I don't think it's fair to dismiss titles like Gears Tactics, Grounded, or Ori. It's like when people say Nintendo games like Clubhouse Games don't count because "reasons".

They're currently releasing the Tell Me Why episodes too, and Wasteland 3 if you want to count that.

This is probably the first year Microsoft has had a decent first party slate.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's a 3D Mario platformer that a fraction of Switch owners played, on a console built for local multiplayer, and with the addition of online play.

This game is going to be a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-level seller. I'm talking 30 million+. It still might have that but Nintendo is missing out huge not getting it out for the holiday.
Wait, are you expecting it to massively outsell Odyssey like that and post insane numbers?

Why?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm new to this but.....what exactly is the concern here? Do they have to release a game in November? Is this new for them? Is it critical to release it in that month specifically?
Nintendo typically releases their big holiday game in November or December. There have been a few exceptions, like Odyssey releasing late October. But this has been the rule since SNES pretty much.

Also not really have a new game scheduled is the bigger issue. I'm expecting a November game announcement though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't know where the 3D World sales discussion came from but it's easily going to sell similar to Luigi's Mansion 3 at the very least.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo typically releases their big holiday game in November or December. There have been a few exceptions, like Odyssey releasing late October.

...and Odyssey only released in October because Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon was releasing in November.

They're not going to release their last game for the year on October 30.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
...and Odyssey only released in October because Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon was releasing in November.

They're not going to release their last game for the year on October 30.
Plus they also had Xenoblade for December (not a huge game but still).

They definitely have something else coming this year.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Given that the premise of this thread has been reversed, there isn't anything to really discuss here.

Please don't bump dead threads just to dunk on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.