• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just finished Persona 5 Scramble, but nothing else for me so far this year :( But well there are other games on other plattforms so I don't really care anymore.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean in the same year as this excuse me for not jumping up and down at that comparison.

final-fantasy-7-remake-comparison-cloud.jpg
wow that's a silly post. you said xenoblade on switch is a port, when it's not. not sure what ff7r part 1 has to do with that.

The poster quoted me for calling Xenoblade a "port." It is. Remastered, sure, but a port nonetheless.
that makes no sense. which is it?

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
At least it isn't 2018 all over again.

For prior Wii U owners, that was a dire year...

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze again, Hyrule Warriors again, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker again, Mario Tennis Aces, which didn't feel all that much different to Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash ... šŸŽ¾

Then Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee + Pikachu came along and they weren't as good as they should have been, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a better and more complete version of Super Smash Bros. on the Wii U.

Whatever we shall (eventually!) get from Nintendo this year will be indefinitely better than 2018.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade right now is a remaster.

We'll see what extent of a remaster it is when we see how much new content there is.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Switch owners really will have nothing to play post March....what a time to be alive.

Ona more serious note,
this reminds me of the threads with people worrying about the fall 3DS lineup a couple weeks before e3.
Its like people never learn.
yeah except for animal crossing, trials of mana, spongebob, pokemon DLC, no more heroes 3, bravely default 2, outer worlds, xenoblade remaster, smash DLC, and many of the already existing games.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
At least it isn't 2018 all over again.

For prior Wii U owners, that was a dire year...

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze again, Hyrule Warriors again, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker again, Mario Tennis Aces, which didn't feel all that much different to Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash ... šŸŽ¾

Then Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee + Pikachu came along and they weren't as good as they should have been, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a better and more complete version of Super Smash Bros. on the Wii U.

Whatever we shall (eventually!) get from Nintendo this year will be indefinitely better than 2018.

Yeah, looking back on it, Smash hype absolutely carried that year, holy shit.

Even if Nintendo's Q2 lineup is just remasters (and I wouldn't assume it is), we've at least got AC as a big new game in Q1 and then the whole back half of the year after that.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I actually think we had this situation before in april 2016, although it's possible there were some 3DS dates known at the time. They had one game with a release date (Star Fox Zero, which was delayed from holiday 2015), and at the end of april of 2016 nintendo had no games with a confirmed releasedate (for wii U)

Their full list at the financial briefing was
* Star fox zero (released that april)
* Tokyo Mirage Sessions (which release in japan the year before)
* Mario & Sonic at the olympic games
* Paper Mario : color splash
* Legend of zelda (temp)
* Project Giant Robot (temp)

We all known Zelda became 2017 and Project Giant Robot never happened.

Aprikurt

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 29, 2017
Between this, the constant PS5 threads and that guy who thought FF15 would be the last mainline FF title, my god do people need some fucking chill.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The point is, the fact that this discussion and thread keeps coming up indicates they have a perception issue right now. It DOES feel like there isn't much on the horizon. We know there probably will be news before long, but ideally, you want to avoid this kind of weird zone where you're not looking forward to something new.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Between this, the constant PS5 threads and that guy who thought FF15 would be the last mainline FF title, my god do people need some fucking chill.
Where's the lack of chill in this post? It's someone asking a genuine question as to whether this situation has happened before, which is a completely valid discussion to have.

No-one here is seriously on the Nintendoomed train or anything like that...

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I actually think we had this situation before in april 2016, although it's possible there were some 3DS dates known at the time. They had one game with a release date (Star Fox Zero, which was delayed from holiday 2015), and at the end of april of 2016 nintendo had no games with a confirmed releasedate (for wii U)

Their full list at the financial briefing was
* Star fox zero (released that april)
* Tokyo Mirage Sessions (which release in japan the year before)
* Mario & Sonic at the olympic games
* Paper Mario : color splash
* Legend of zelda (temp)
* Project Giant Robot (temp)

We all known Zelda became 2017 and Project Giant Robot never happened.

Federation Force and Kirby Robobot had confirmed release dates after Star Fox Zero.

But this is kind of close.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, if Metroid Prime Trilogy HD is actually a real thing that's already done but Nintendo is just sitting on like all the """""""""insders""""""""" are claiming, it'd probably be a good idea to start prepping it for release so they at least have something during the impending COVID-induced drought.

Aprikurt

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 29, 2017
Where's the lack of chill in this post? It's someone asking a genuine question as to whether this situation has happened before, which is a completely valid discussion to have.

No-one here is seriously on the Nintendoomed train or anything like that...
Oh come on, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles is very much a Switch port. It is remastered, but it is a port. Do you think the two things are mutually exclusive?

I mean, you're acting like there are some objective, universally-agreed-upon definitions of ports and remasters and remakes and where they each begin and end

some people would say that a re-release that changes the models and environment is not a "port" at all. just sayin'

It's pretty clearly not just running the same game at a different resolution, which is what "it's a port" implies, even if later you go back and say "no no no i meant it was a *remastered* port"

Aug 12, 2019
You gota love this place. Nintendo lineup is a no show,people asking in good faith. the competition is showing a strong line up and upcoming consoles.

nintendo apologists " oh here we go again nintendoomed, reset the clock "or other asinine shit, because you know nintendo does nothing wrong!!!.

What exactly is the competition showing up with? Sony has The Last of Us Part II after years of delays and Ghosts of Tsushima after years of delay with no formal announcement to the PS5 even around other than a generic "it's coming this year." Microsoft has next to nothing shown except for the Series X with limited details on Halo Infinite existing and Hellblade II, and this is after a fairly anemic showing in general from Microsoft for ages.

There's some solid third party titles coming out, but when we're talking about first party offerings, none of the three have a whole lot on display for 2020, and Nintendo just had a massive year in terms of their first party output. It's still just early in the year and the world is also dealing with COVID-19, so like, just chill for a little while.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yeah, this is a totally fair comparison.

Dumbass.

Whoa there, pardner. I don't know where you get off with the name calling, it's a shame you have to resort to calling people dumbass. Is there something going on in your life that has brought you to this?

from a software perspective that isn't really what a port is

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

I mean, you're acting like there are some objective, universally-agreed-upon definitions between where ports and and remasters and remakes begin and end

some people would say that a remaster is not a port. just sayin'

Then why not say that to the guy who quoted me for calling the game a port? By your logic, if it's not agreed upon, then I have just as much right to call it that as someone else has to not call it that. By the way I don't agree with your logic, it is a port. You guys for some reason are taking offense to a port being called a port. Why is that?

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't like half of Japan shut down or telecommuting for work/school right now? Are y'all serious with this?

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
COVID-19 severely impacted Switch's production line anyway, I think it's likely they delayed PR because of it. Same for Sony and PS5.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Oh no! The Nintendo silence can only mean one thing. Nintendo is doomed and leaving the gaming business!

abandon ship, abandon!

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm pretty sure a port gets an existing codebase to work on a new platform with changes to low-level code. If the Xenoblade remake is exactly the same with new assets, then it's a port. If it's been rewritten from the ground up, it's not.

(I get the sinking feeling that I just joined your side of the argument)

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't like half of Japan shut down or telecommuting for work/school right now? Are y'all serious with this?
In the US, we're barely at a fraction of what other countries are experiencing with COVID-19 and already companies are limiting work functions across the board. College systems are even considering closures. I can't imagine how processes might be stalled in other more affected regions.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
2020 is probably going to be a rough year in gaming due to various external factors. It's unavoidable, but there's always things to look forward to in the future. It's not like Sony and Nintendo are going to suddenly die just because they're silent right now.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm pretty sure a port gets an existing codebase to work on a new platform with changes to low-level code. If the Xenoblade remake is exactly the same with new assets, then it's a port. If it's been rewritten from the ground up, it's not.

Welcome to the dark side, where its apparently evil to call ports ports. I had no idea this was offensive until this thread, I say we just do away with the word. Maybe call them "updates."

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It seems obvious to me that the coronavirus has messed up their schedule, same with Sony. Their hardware and software production pipelines have no doubt been affected and now they don't want to commit to release dates for anything.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think its more that Nintendo just hasn't told us what's coming yet more than anything, which is why people are starved for a Direct. Nintendo could have easily filled the early 2020 release calendar with more WiiU ports and announced it by now if they had nothing.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then why not say that to the guy who quoted me for calling the game a port? By your logic, if it's not agreed upon, then I have just as much right to call it that as someone else has to not call it that. By the way I don't agree with your logic, it is a port. You guys for some reason are taking offense to a port being called a port. Why is that?

If I had to guess, it's probably because it's not a port.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't get these "doomed" posts at all...

Anyway, Japan has schools and companies closed right now. I think their focus is on safety.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

The problem with that line of thinking is that tons of sequels reuse the codebase, too, which is where we get into the whole "Splatoon 2 is just a port!" thing.

In the industry, "port" never implies enhancements, beyond possibly things that are innate to the new platform like its display resolution. It certainly never implies things like going back and redoing character models and making the environment more detailed. Port means port. You are taking one product and porting it to another platform. A remaster is a different thing.

Cactuar's argument is that, by some objective metric, remasters are a subset of ports, which I don't think is really supported by how the term of art is used in the industry at all. When someone tells a team to port an app from iOS to Android, no one is like "oh, what features are we adding!?!"

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the dark side, where its apparently evil to call ports ports. I had no idea this was offensive until this thread, I say we just do away with the word. Maybe call them "updates."
what was the point of the ff7 remake comparison tho? that's a ps1 game from 23 years ago, coming to a more powerful platform. of course the difference in visuals is going to be way bigger. what does that have to do a 10 year old wii game coming to switch?

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They kind of do have an immediate thing coming up with the investor meeting. If they have no lineup, their stock will plumet.

A statement that they have more to announce for 2020 in the coming weeks will get them through the investor meeting just fine I'd expect. Not to mention the investor meeting typically isn't until the end of June (unless I'm thinking of a different meeting than you). That gives Nintendo plenty of time to announce things before then.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
All I want to know is what they're releasing in April and May. Can't be nothing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa there, pardner. I don't know where you get off with the name calling, it's a shame you have to resort to calling people dumbass. Is there something going on in your life that has brought you to this?

Probably because it's not a port.

Status
Not open for further replies.