• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see the lists you are seeing, because that is most definitely not true.

www.metacritic.com

Best Video Games of the Decade (2010-19)

What were the best games of the 2010s? Find out as we rank the decade's highest-scoring releases and compile of best-of-the-decade top 10 lists from a variety of video game publications.

Best of the decade lists are made, well, at the end of the decade. Guaranteed recency bias.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah for sure, I'd put MGS above OoT for example. I don't think any objective statement can be made that specifically.

But yeah, I don't think it's arguable that they've had at least one game clearly in the running for the past four decades.
The healthy way to look at these console war bait threads. Congratulations Phendrift, you achieved it!

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild is one of the most overrated games of all time in my opinion. It's not a bad game but it does not reach the heights of games like Witcher 3, RDR2, GoW, TLoU or FFXIV.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, SMB3, sure. There's literally no real competition.

The rest? Eeeeeeh. OoT is a good game sure. Best of the decade? There's some stiff competition in the 90s.

Super Mario Galaxy isn't even the best mario game of the decade, nor is Metroid Prime the best Metrroid.

BotW broke the mold for Zeldas, but it wasn't a revolution. Damn fun but not GotD.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I'm so glad I don't limit myself to one platform. I like all those games, but saying some of these being "Games of the Decade" is just subjective and this thread comes off as a fanboy thread.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
on second thought, i don't think the winner of the 00s is that cleat cut. there's a lot of competition from non nintendo games for that title. even so, 3 out of 4 landslide wins is very impressive still.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
What insanity is this?

What Nintendo game was as perfect as Mario 3 before it came out? What Nintendo game was like Ocarina of Time before it came out? Or like Metroid Prime/Mario Galaxy? Or Breath of the Wild?

Those are pretty innovative and revolutionary games and nothing like what Nintendo did before those games were released. How is the game of the decade "easy for them because they make the same games every generation" if those specific games were nothing like what they've done before?
Nintendo doenst innovate.

Breath of the wild.

OK.
You people really need to stop calling BOTW innovative because it was not.
It is the open world formula adapted to Zelda. It brought literally nothing new to the gaming world that hasn't been done before. It doesn't hold a candle to OoT in influence. It was a good game, but innovative? Not at all.

OP
OP
Soulnado

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I'm so glad I don't limit myself to one platform. I like all those games, but saying some of these being "Games of the Decade" is just subjective and this thread comes off as a fanboy thread.

If it makes you feel better, I think Witcher 3 is the second best game of last decade, and Cyberpunk 2077 might take this.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
What did I miss in the last couple weeks that made people start turning on Breath of the Wild?

Was it because games of the decade lists started coming out with BotW at or near the top of all of them? Are people salty about it?

I'm confused. The game seemed almost universally loved here until literally like a few days ago.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
on second thought, i don't think the winner of the 00s is that cleat cut. there's a lot of competition from non nintendo games for that title. even so, 3 out of 4 landslide wins is very impressive still.
Galaxy and Prime 1 are my favorite Nintendo games and favorite games of all time so I'll have to disagree there lol. If anything they were competing with themselves for my top two personally.

Prime 1 just didn't light up the charts enough commercially to be showered in the Retrospective praise it deserved, and the reluctance of the media to give super-acclaimed 3D platformers GOTY/D awards (as seen this decade with Galaxy 2, 3D World and Odyssey's ommision from tons of lists) probably prevented Galaxy from getting that same recognition.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What did I miss in the last couple weeks that made people start turning on Breath of the Wild?

Was it because games of the decade lists started coming out with BotW at or near the top of all of them? Are people salty about it?
the game has always been universally loved by gamers and critics. there were a few salty people back then and some of them have managed to maintain that salt for nearly 3 years. the recent best of decade lists didn't help either.

Deleted member 30124

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
SMB3 might have a case, but none of the others are even close*. OoT wouldn't make my top 200 in the 90's, should have at least picked something good like ALttP or Super Metroid.

*According to my opinion of course, because who really gives a shit about some critic list or review scores?

OP
OP
Soulnado

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019

I'm confused. The game seemed almost universally loved here until literally like a few days ago.

There has been absolutely zero "turning". That's why the game has dominated game of the decade lists and discussions. If you see someone hating on the game, is the folks who wanted to convince everyone the honeymoon period would end soon.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not according to most critics. it's by far the most picked #1 in most places. and if we're going by the review average, then the best received game of the decade would be mario galaxy 2.
BOTW is probably the consensus choice for GOTD

In a decade that saw:

• Minecraft (2011)
  • The Witcher 3 (2015)
  • Dark Souls (2011)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
  • The Last of Us (2013)

And others, there's just no way. BotW isn't even the best game this gen, let alone over almost an entire decade.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Wait, why do so many people have the same Geoff avatar? This is getting a little confusing

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
my games of the decades-ish

80s: pac-man, smb, smb3
90s: oot, sm64, panzer dragoon saga
00s: re4, mirror's edge, skies of arcadia
10s: undertale, 999, smg2

panzer dragoon saga feels like it was made five years ago or something. it's really good.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I guess I'd be salty too if I spent the last few years impotently trying to convince everyone that BotW is just a 2008 Ubisoft game and literally nobody agreed.

On topic, I agree with 80s and 90s, but the 2000s had way too much competition. Personally my GotD for the 2010s is Final Fantasy XIV, but I understand the BotW love.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You people really need to stop calling BOTW innovative because it was not.
It is the open world formula adapted to Zelda. It brought literally nothing new to the gaming world that hasn't been done before. It doesn't hold a candle to OoT in influence. It was a good game, but innovative? Not at all.

It innovated with the world design, the way you were routed to locations without the need of a quest marker like every other open world game. It also innovated with its "chemistry" engine. Everyone else was doing physics engine, but BotW did a chemistry one too.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This thread has been locked as per these guidelines located in ResetEra FAQs

Official Staff Communication

Do Not Argue in Bad Faith

Honest dissent and debate is generally encouraged. However, we do not welcome disingenuous arguments, deliberately ignoring or refusing to acknowledge counterarguments, or arguing for no reason than to upset other members. If your contributions to a discussion are clearly unproductive or lead in circles, it is time to stop.

Do not deliberately misrepresent the opinions or concerns of other users. Posters who enter a thread and drop a hot take (especially on a sensitive or controversial topic), only to never follow up, may be moderated for drive by posting. It is also not okay to enter a thread solely to whine about its existence or to deliberately derail it. If you have nothing of substance to contribute to a thread it may be best to avoid it.

No Trolling

Trolling, or posting with the intention of provoking a negative response from other members, is prohibited. This is especially true in serious and sensitive topics. Trolling is often disingenuous, but posting your honest opinion can still be trolling if you do so with the intent to inflame. Sincerity is not a perfect shield from consequences.

Please also keep in mind that the onus is always on you to make sure that your meaning and intentions are clear when you post. If you make a statement that appears to be inflammatory, moderators will judge it based on the text you have made available. Staff and other members cannot read minds. If you feel that your post or intentions have been misunderstood, you should quickly move to clarify what you really meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.