• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
TOKYO -- Nintendo has suspended shipments of the Switch game console in Japan as the company became unable to keep up with rising demand due to supply chain disruptions caused by the coronavirus, Nikkei has learned.

No date was given for the shipments to resume. Shipments in the U.S. and Europe, where Nintendo still possesses inventory, will continue as normal.

The Switch now sells for $500 to $700 on certain online platforms, roughly twice its recommended retail price.

asia.nikkei.com

Nintendo halts Switch shipments in Japan as orders surge

Console sells for twice its usual price via online vendors

Sorry if Old.

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
They seriously fucked up by not having more units in storage ahead of AC's release.

Edit: I appreciate how this came off, but this comment wasn't meant as "They should've anticipated this uniquely unpredictable event," but instead as "This could've been enormous for them if they had bigger reserves, but wasn't."

Won't this make it worse?
Won't make what worse? They don't have units left to sell. This isn't a choice.

Last edited:

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I don't get it.
They can't keep up with the increasing demand so instead they decide to suspend everything?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So, does this mean I can finally get one at the normal price in the US? I keep playing store tag and coming up short with Target.

I'm at launch status, I got 2 Switch games but no console, lol. BotW and Mario Odyssey.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They seriously fucked up by not having more units in storage ahead of AC's release.

They sold like 600k+ units in the space of three weeks, in March.

The numbers Animal Crossing is shifting are pretty much unprecedented.

Oct 27, 2017
So they aren't manufacturing any right now? Do we know when this will change? Or are they beginning to get manufacturing back but need time? I was under the impression manufacturing in places like China was coming back online.

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo really should be diverting units away from the US and EU and into Japan. The demand there is just off the charts.

Oct 26, 2017
The Covid19 pandemic probably not only heavily constrained supply due to most manufacturing shutting down, it also significantly increased demand due to people - especially young people - being stuck at home with not enough to do to occupy themselves.

Really can't blame Nintendo, or any company, for being unable to deal with this. They'd rather not feed the scalpers.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
So they aren't manufacturing any right now? Do we know when this will change? Or are they beginning to get manufacturing back but need time? I was under the impression manufacturing in places like China was coming back online.

They halted shipments in Japan, it doesn't say anything about manufacturing.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I deeply regret not buying a switch before the pandemic hit (Canada).

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

the production is increasing, but due to SHITLOADS of AC sales and previous production issues due to Covid, they are suspending the shipment in order to avoid lines/crowds/lotteries that would be dangerous in Japan right now?
Until the production will be sufficient to cover demand and/or COVID situation in japan won't be as dangerous as it is now for lines/crowds/lotteries

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever end up shipping the Animal Crossing special edition consoles in Japan? Not a surprise that this is happening, I'm sure we'll hear of similar issues from the other consoles soon. It will take a long time for supply chains to get back to normal

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I don't get it.
They can't keep up with the increasing demand so instead they decide to suspend everything?

You risk ruining retailer relationships if you can't deliver - or you prioritize obviously one over others... that's a problem for the organization.

Additionally, they may be trying to reserve units as best they can for a Q3-Q4 holiday push.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Oh man, really hope my Switch doesn't shit the bed, won't be able to secure another.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder how feasible it would be to offset demand for hardware like this with streaming. I know the Internet infrastructure would have to be up to the task for that to be a reality, but I can't help but wonder if this sort of situation pushes streaming services into the spotlight.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks but based on Ltd shipments Japan is about 25% of their sales so it makes sense to serve the international markets first. Japa n also has less competition from PS4 and I assume the US bound stock are primarily made in Vietnam and they are still waiting on China stock to supply Japan

I would love for them to start manufacturing in Japan again

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't imagine Nintendo expected AC to be the mega-hit that it is. They knew it'd do very good, but probably not THIS good. That in combination with production issues related to Covid19 is definitely a huge bummer, but what could they have done?

Oct 27, 2017
the production is increasing, but due to SHITLOADS of AC sales and previous production issues due to Covid, they are suspending the shipment in order to avoid lines/crowds/lotteries that would be dangerous in Japan right now?
Until the production will be sufficient to cover demand and/or COVID situation in japan won't be as dangerous as it is now for lines/crowds/lotteries
Oh okay I get it. Thanks!

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
They had plenty in store; its just AC is literally breaking sales records. This sort of sellout of a system + software is unprecedented (Its selling like this was a 2nd launch) . That, combined with coronavirus, meant demand just wasn't gonna be met. Plus shutting down production like this is probably better for Japan's coronavirus defense, as the long lines associated with Switch and Animal Crossing obvious aren't compatible with social distancing.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
March sales have more resembled a holiday month globally. I doubt supply will last much longer in America or parts of Europe either.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this isn't ... too bad given that many stores in Japan are about to close due to the government's pandemic plans.

If it keeps people away from lines and safe, i'm all for it.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You've been piled on already, but I just wanted to emphasize that nobody expected the hardware sales to be this high for this long. This is like a second launch for the Switch. We knew Animal Crossing would be huge but that boost is unprecedented.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Just to show much demand there is for Switch right now

Switch YTD Hardware Sales Comparison
2020-04-08-21-06-42.jpg

2020-04-08-21-06-30.jpg

It's selling more than it did at launch. There was as much inventory as they could manufacture given COVID-19.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
To put in perspective the huge spike in sales Switch had in Japan along side the release of ACNH:
Switch sold during a slow month as March roughly 940K units.
That's more than what it sold in the launch month (March 2017) in US.
In the past 5 holiday weeks (December 2019) Switch sold a total of 1235K consoles in Japan that is this past March Switch has sold around 76% of what it did during the previous Christmas period.

Last edited:

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means more stock will reach Europe and North America. Demand is sky high globally.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
They will wait till they have a big shipment. Assuming this will happen before or for golden week.

Production should be pretty good now to this isnt the problem, demand is just really really high.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
They likely did have plans at least, which had to be drastically changed as production lines in China were halted because of the pandemic. They couldn't have predicted the lockdown far enough in advance to increase production even further, and yet they still managed to have enough units to sell just under a million consoles in Japan in March(!) alone so no, this isn't a 'fuck up' at all - just a combination of unprecedented demand and a worldwide pandemic.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
nintendo sold within a few years more switchconsoles than any other console ever in japan.
this is unbelievable what kind of monster the switch is over there.
sort of bummed to see here in germany, how many friends of mine enjoyed playing switch at my house, but disliked the concept for purchasing it for them.

on the other hand, my friends overseas went crazy for the switch, so maybe the demand for it in other countries is completely different.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This was the worst possible time for them to start seeing Wii/DS-like demand with Animal Crossing.

I wonder if this means more stock will reach Europe and North America. Demand is sky high globally.

North America is constantly getting stock, it's just not nearly enough to meet demand. Their Vietnam production facilities weren't impacted by COVID-19 as far as I'm aware.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They will wait till they have a big shipment.

Yeah, trickling just a couple units of each SKU to each store at a time isn't ideal. You just disappoint people again and again.

Waiting to get a decent supply and releasing it on a pre-announced date is better all around. It limits people's exposures to lines.