• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One thing that I think a lot of people gloss over in regards to Nintendo is how reliant they are on self published titles to drive hardware sales. Nintendo's core business is still very much dedicated console hardware and software, with its mobile games/amiibo/other business only accounting for 8% of revenue during the last quarter.

Whilst Microsoft and Sony rely more on the 80/20 model on its platforms (20% of sales are first party, 80% are third party), Nintendo has seen very much the opposite happen. Granted this has been the case for a while but it's considerably more notable with Wii U and Switch as opposed to say Wii and DS.

For the first 9 months of this fiscal year (ending Dec 31st 2018), first party software accounted for 84.6% of total software revenue for Nintendo. The percentage during the same period last year was 85.3%. Note that this percentage is based on total software revenue and initial margin on 1P will always be high. That being said, it's an extremely high percentage and shows that Nintendo very much relies on first party and Nintendo published titles to generate the majority of its software revenue, with third party playing a smaller role.

DyOsfZVXgAAz0_O.jpg

Page 4- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131_2e.pdf

It shows to me that it is extremely crucial that Nintendo have a strong pipeline of first party games to push Switch hardware sales. That's not to say third party games aren't important for Nintendo, as we've seen a few success stories and in general a lot of publishers are profitable on the system. But what it does say is that the main driving factor behind Switch hardware sales is first party content and that it also explains why we saw Nintendo reduce their hardware forecast from 20 million units to 17 million units this year.

To further explain, Nintendo Switch sales in the first half of the fiscal year were extremely weak, relatively speaking. To add some perspective, the Nintendo Switch is currently outpacing the PS4 in global hardware sell in when launch aligned, yet the PS4 has never had a H1 as weak as Switch did last year (even 5/6 years on PS4 sales are consistent due to strong/constant 3rd party support. It doesn't matter if Sony doesn't have a game to launch.). It's why you may have seen news stories where some analysts were throwing out extremely low numbers for the full fiscal year, basing the total on what they were seeing in the first half. It's my opinion that one of the reasons behind the weak performance in the first half of the year was due to the first party software output from Nintendo. Whilst it wasn't necessarily bad, the flagship titles were mostly Wii U ports. Labo also launched but underperformed.

The holiday quarter saw a massive boost in sales, with shipments accounting for 55% of Nintendo's current full year forecast of 17 million. The main reasons for the boost in sales was the release of key first party titles including Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokemon Let's Go and Super Mario Party which have sold 27.4 million units combined in the last 3 months (Switch total HW is 32.3m). It's clear to me that high quality first party title releases are a key driver of hardware sales. Although, the strong holiday quarter was unable to offset the weak first half of the year, which is why the hardware forecast has now been reduced from 20m to 17m.

To give another quick stat (and someone correct me if i've got the numbers wrong, but they should be close enough) - Nintendo has 18 published titles that have sold over 1 million units. Third parties have 9 titles that have sold over 1 million units. There are approx 28 Nintendo published titles on Switch, but over 1,500+ third party titles published on Switch. So that's why a strong pipeline of games from Nintendo is very much crucial to the success of Switch imo. As is increasing spend and engagement in these titles through DLC and other Add On content as well as the Switch Online sub.

I'm aware that I'm kind of stating the obvious in this thread. But I just wanted to lay it all out and see what people think.

Last edited:

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has 18 published titles that have sold over 1 million units. Third parties have 9 titles that have sold over 1 million units. There are approx 28 Nintendo published titles on Switch, but over 1,500+ third party titles published on Switch.

I think the million seller numbers for third party only include physical releases (and only the last 9 month). The 1500+ third party include the many eShop only games. If counting digital sales than million seller would be higher.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I believe many people are already aware of Nintendo being heavily reliant on their first party software but it's really nice to see it substantiated with data. I honestly thought that third parties would account for a larger percentage of sales on the Switch but it seems I was wrong.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is still missing some big 3rd Party games that also sell well.
Because with due respect to all these great Indie games, they aren't hardware sellers, tho crucial to the overall experience on the Switch.

And yes, Q1 and Q2 were sluggish in 2018. Some nice games were releasing, but nothing big or nothing that is selling hardware in huge margins.
I'm very curious about 2019 and NIntendos software output and what's coming out next to Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and 8th Gen Pokémon

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Well, it's no secret that exclusives move hardware on a large scale. It's nice to see that 3rd parties are doing better on a nintendo system, after the debacle that was the WiiU. But First Party will always reign supreme when it comes to Nintendo Systems. With that said, I can't wait for Yoshi, Animal Crossing etc.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Third parties have 9 titles that have sold over 1 million units. There are approx 28 Nintendo published titles on Switch, but over 1,500+ third party titles published on Switch. So that's why a strong pipeline of games from Nintendo is very much crucial to the success of Switch imo.
Crazy when you think about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the million seller numbers for third party only include physical releases (and only the last 9 month). The 1500+ third party include the many eShop only games. If counting digital sales than million seller would be higher.
No, last year titles like Stardew Valley were noted by Nintendo to have sold over 1 million on Switch and it didn't have a physical release until its Japanese debut. And the there were eight 1-million sellers for this quarter, though we can assume some overlap with popular past titles like Minecraft.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel Labo will end up being the key reason as to why they'll end up missing their initial estimate. Nintendo's holiday performance was fantastic and I don't think anyone's going to dispute that, but even with the revised estimate it seems pretty clear that they're only going to be at an arm's reach away from the original 20M goal, which they likely could've met if they just managed to have one title to drive the Q2 period - and I'm guessing Labo was what they hoped would be that. If they end up anywhere between 18-19 million that tells me Nintendo weren't necessarily wrong in shooting for the stars in the first place, as much as they just overestimated the appeal of one of their titles.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Maybe this is the problem when you rely on hardware gimmicks so much, you end up being a secondary console and miss out on 3rd party sales.

Although 1st party sales have the best margins I imagine, so they're probably not too upset.

Oct 25, 2017
Right, so Nintendo dropping the forecast isn't so much about lowballing (probably part of it though) but rather a reflection of their lineup for Jan-Mar. They don't have a big Nintendo game coming so hardware isn't going to move notably well. It makes sense.

I also think this highlights why the comparison between exclusive sales on PS and Xbox to Nintendo is meaningless. 3rd party is selling the former while 1st is selling the latter. So of course Nintendo will have the edge because that is almost the entire reason why someone would buy a Switch in the first place.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I feel Labo will end up being the key reason as to why they'll end up missing their initial estimate. Nintendo's holiday performance was fantastic and I don't think anyone's going to dispute that, but even with the revised estimate it seems pretty clear that they're only going to be at an arm's reach away from the original 20M goal, which they likely could've met if they just managed to have one title to drive the Q2 period - and I'm guessing Labo was what they hoped would be that. If they end up anywhere between 18-19 million that tells me Nintendo weren't necessarily wrong in shooting for the stars in the first place, as much as they just overestimated the appeal of one of their titles.

Came in to say this, basically. It's clear they thought Labo would be a bigger hit tha it was. Nothing wrong with that either, since they came so close to hitting their target to begin with.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It shows to me that it is extremely crucial that Nintendo have a strong pipeline of first party games to push Switch hardware sales. That's not to say third party games aren't important for Nintendo, as we've seen a few success stories and in general a lot of publishers are profitable on the system. But what it does say is that the main driving factor behind Switch hardware sales is first party content and that it also explains why we saw Nintendo reduce their hardware forecast from 20 million units to 17 million units this year.

Ain't that just because Nintendo is the only one to release ambitious software on their machines? If old ports such as Diablo, Minecraft, Skyrim or Doom did well on the machine, I'm ready to bet that RDR2 or Resident Evil 2 would have done amazing as well.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
well, there aren't big tp titles here, just Fifa, rocket league, minecraft and some late ports. the 163m figure doesn't count eshop-only titles btw.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is the problem when you rely on hardware gimmicks so much, you end up being a secondary console and miss out on 3rd party sales.

Although 1st party sales have the best margins I imagine, so they're probably not too upset.

Maybe, but if the gimmick for this system is "handheld putting out near console quality visuals", it's a good gimmick. Better than good, great. Tons of people double dip entirely because they can now play a game they love "on the go".

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

well, there aren't big tp titles here, just Fifa, rocket league, minecraft and some late ports. the 163m figure doesn't count eshop-only titles btw.

The million sellers list counts those digital titles and this data is based on revenue which includes eshop only titles.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why it can be frustrating when people point to the 1500+ third-party games published.

Ok... but we Are clearly all waiting for first-party news.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Ain't that just because Nintendo is the only one to release ambitious software on their machines? If old ports such as Diablo, Minecraft, Skyrim or Doom did well on the machine, I'm ready to bet that RDR2 or Resident Evil 2 would have done amazing as well.
The switch wouldnt exist as it is if it could run thos games though.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
CoD, RDR2, MHW2, DB Fighterz (at launch), Far Cry 5, Assasins Creed, Madden, GTA V and and and....all werent on Switch so first partys dominating is a given.

Nintendo is bringing their A game to the plattform - while only a few 3rd Partys were willing or able to do the same. Things should improve next FY though.

Oct 30, 2017
I believe many people are already aware of Nintendo being heavily reliant on their first party software but it's really nice to see it substantiated with data. I honestly thought that third parties would account for a larger percentage of sales on the Switch but it seems I was wrong.
(Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software) - No indies and add-ons, etc.

Nintendo Switch:
Total Software:
Nintendo: 93.780.000*
Third Party: 69.830.000

*This includes all million sellers, it's more or less complete, should be 100.000.000 units maximum.

The longer the switch is on the market, the closer it's going to move to a 50/50 ratio in terms of units.

3rd Parties are indeed important to drive the overall appeal of their system, but Nintendos games are the most important factor.

I also feel that Nintendo doesn't take much royalty income from them, don't know the %.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of bonkers really. Does make you wonder why Nintendo have not really significantly increased their numbers in their software divisions or made any acquisitions recently - they must see this trend internally and you'd think they would invest heavily in their own output to offset the declining role of third parties.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is funny in retrospect because if you complained about the weak 2018 H1 lineup of the Switch you were dismissed while it was happening.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Not just that, lineup for the first 5 months in 2018 was not appealing: besides Labo you had only Wii U ports and Kirby Star Allies as the only original titles.

That's why i'm also a bit concerned about these first months of 2019. At least Nintendo acknowledged in the Q&A how long has been the wait for the next Direct.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
The million sellers list counts those digital titles and this data is based on revenue which includes eshop only titles.

yea I'm just talking about the figure on their site

anyway, if you look at the top 10 best selling titles of 2018 for ps4 and xbox in the us, they are all titles not available on the switch. monster hunter world, rdr2, call of duty, assassin's creed and so on. it's just this really

of course fp titles will be always the major driver point, but...yea

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Would be interesting to see those charts with actual number of sales and not revenue.

How much revenue does Nintendo gather from a third party sale? Is it like other platforms 30%?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Since it can't run the big titles like kh3 or re:2 it's not surprising, still cool that games like doom are launching on it but it's not really where I'll buy it for the best experience.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The problem is that the Switch likely isn't able to run those kinds of games.

It could absolutely run at least RE2. You can replace RDR2 by Monster Hunter World, which Iron Galaxy offered to port on Switch as well.
But there's no point in Capcom letting them do it if the port can't be sold in Japan.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
3rd Parties are indeed important to drive the overall appeal of their system, but Nintendos games are the most important factor.

Indeed. It's more that people are purchasing the system for Nintendo's games first, then taking advantage of the third party titles already on the system.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. 2018 was a pretty underwhelming year... I always doubted they'd hit 20m. Pokemon and Smash arrived too late, ultimately.... I'm worried about the 2019 line up too. Isn't this the longest we've been without a Direct?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I agree. When looking at Japanese sales, for example, it's clear that Pokémon and Smash pushed major units, and in the case of Pokémon let's Go, the push seemed rather out of line with the software units sold - Let's Go sold more Switches in its launch week that much bigger Pokémon releases did for 3DS. It's clear that Nintendo's first party games have an incredible impact on hardware performance.

The software for WiiU/Switch compared to DS/Wii is not that surprising to me, though: WiiU is an outlier for anything, and Switch hardly got any third party software - certainly not ones of major sales potential except for FIFA - so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's also definitely clear that Nintendo is suffering to a degree (not bleeding or anything, just selling less than would be possible) from lacking the third party games that PS4/XB1, considering how much these push systems. In Japan, this effect is exaggerated even more: PS4's are pushed for the most part by third party games (only MHW, FFXV, KH3 and DQXI managed to push major hardware units) and first party is rather insignificant. In the West first party is bigger for PS4/XB1, but even then a game like Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption can push more units than the biggest first party games. Nintendo not getting any of those titles hurts them during the slower quarters because they simply can't have a major title like Pokémon or Smash during every quarter of the year. As a result, the Switch is left to coast off of the sales power of previously released games and the appeal of the hardware itself, instead of going from major third party game to the next. Nintendo's first party being as powerful as they are is the reason they are so strong in the market, but with third parties fully on board they would be much stronger imo.

Nintendo will be fine on their own - but they would be more successful if they had full support from third parties. I'm hoping that this time they can turn things around somewhat, what with the software performance of third party games on Switch being generally good and Switch selling well.

Indeed. It's more that people are purchasing the system for Nintendo's games first, then taking advantage of the third party titles already on the system.
It's also that none of the software on the system is of a system-selling calibre, tbh (except for FIFA), so I wonder if that can change if Switch were given the chance: launch a COD game on the system, and see if it can push units.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's basically me. I already have a PS4 for third party games & have little interest in most indie games, so my Switch is primarily for Nintendo games & the occasional third party game (Sonic Mania, Mega Man 11, etc.).

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
(Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software) - No indies and add-ons, etc.

Nintendo Switch:
Total Software:
Nintendo: 93.780.000*
Third Party: 69.830.000

*This includes all million sellers, it's more or less complete, should be 100.000.000 units maximum.

The longer the switch is on the market, the closer it's going to move to a 50/50 ratio in terms of units.

I also feel that Nintendo doesn't take much royalty income from them, don't know the %.
Sorry if I wasn't specific enough but I meant in terms of revenue like what OP mentioned.

Whilst Microsoft and Sony rely more on the 80/20 model on its platforms (20% of sales are first party, 80% are third party), Nintendo has seen very much the opposite happen. Granted this has been the case for a while but it's considerably more notable with Wii U and Switch as opposed to say Wii and DS.

For the first 9 months of this fiscal year (ending Dec 31st 2018), first party software accounted for 84.6% of total software revenue for Nintendo. The percentage during the same period last year was 85.3%.

You would think that with all the news about third parties doing well, that would translate to Nintendo's third party revenue being higher.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo could sell 200 million Switches and 3rd parties would still ignore it because they simply don't know how to provide software for the machine. On the one hand most of their AAA games won't run or require too many downgrades to run on the Switch and on the other hand they have no idea how else they should support it so the only thing we get are ports of old games or retro collections. Even the games that are technically feasible are being delayed and released at a later date simply because the optimization process for games seems to take longer for the Switch. Some people think the situation will improve with more hardware sales but I don't think it will ever improve because no matter how many consoles Nintendo sells the reality is that most 3rd parties are comfortable enough with the current situation (AAA games for PS4/Xbox One/PC + occasional old ports/collections for Switch).

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
I am not doubting your claim but do you have a source for the former ?

Also, can it be that the revenue figures take in account eShop only titles, but the unit figures don't ? I am a bit lost here.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still think this isn't an healthy business model in the age of 4k gaming. We're on the eve of yet another jump in graphical fidelity and Nintendo is struggling to keep up (in quantitative, not qualitative of course) with providing their consoles with software at the 1080p (often sub 1080p) level. At some point they're going to need acquisitions or restructuring because if the software offer slows down again whenever the new console will come then I think they'll actually start having troubles (real, not imaginary ones).

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

This is one of those things you can see it both ways. Nintendo games are the main reason why people buy their consoles but If Nintendo didn't start as strong as they did in 2017, Switch would have been another Wii U. After 2 years and those sales it's hard to believe third parties brought so little to the system.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this issue pretty much the same for 2019. A barren schedule in the first half of 2019 at least atm?

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of bonkers really. Does make you wonder why Nintendo have not really significantly increased their numbers in their software divisions or made any acquisitions recently - they must see this trend internally and you'd think they would invest heavily in their own output to offset the declining role of third parties.

In 2017 the official stance was that significant expansion would be difficult because the company would not be able to "nurture" them sufficiently, resulting in too many new employees that don't understand Nintendo's "DNA". They've also said (further back in time, during the Iwata period) that they don't like acquisitions because you only buy the company and the talent can leave.

As an upshot they prefer to work with external partners (presumably they're talking here about NLG, Bamco, Koei Tecmo etc). Clearly they need to step it up a notch, but then the recent Metroid Prime news does highlight the dangers of that approach too.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
At the end of the day it is difficult to have such a strong end of the year if you do not leave the beginning of the year emptier, it makes sense that it is the three-month period that they leave lighter.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Going forward I wonder if Switch sales will be more evenly distributed throughout the year, or continue to be heavily loaded during Q4.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't that surprising when 1) you consider many of us buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games but also 2) since you State it's % software revenue they get 100% of revenue for their own titles but only (guessing) 30% of the revenue from the third party titles
3) out of the 1500+ third parties listed, how many are $60 games like the majority of first party games as opposed to $30 or less?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Isn't this issue pretty much the same for 2019. A barren schedule in the first half of 2019 at least atm?
Q1, yes. The situation beyond March isn't barren as much as it is unknown. Fire Emblem should be slated for Q2, so that in and of itself makes Q2 bigger from a first party perspective. And we still need to get a direct somewhere soonish, to detail what happens up until E3 or so.