• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
You know it would be nice if we got a roadmap of sorts detailing when future systems would be added to NSO even if we don't get them all at once

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Just wanted to share with you all. According to the Casual Course leaderboard on Nintendo Switch, I am now the world's second best Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD player. Achieved a time of 1:23.20, which is only bested by the impeccable yoshi64. Can't believe it!
Congrats, wow!!!

Me too, Emily. Me too.

Oh yeah.

Fuck the Diggerbot, both the chase sequence and the fight. Also especially fuck (spoilers Samus Returns final boss)
Ridley
Lol, the Diggerbot prompted my post. This fucker SUCKS

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Lol, the Diggerbot prompted my post. This fucker SUCKS
It's a tough fight, but what I love about it is that it's really well-designed on top of that.

It's like a Hollow Knight or you-know-what boss in that you go from getting absolutely demolished by it to absolutely demolishing it once you figure it out

Oct 30, 2017
Something I've been thinking about for weeks/few months now. I really don't have much interesting things to say nor able to carry any type of discussions. Used to post all the time in Smash Era but never really fitted in.

post here a lot but don't feel like I leave much of an impression.

The Sales thread really doesn't have anything to do with it. Spending all the this time away lately cause of my new job just makes me realize I'm not missing much in the end. Which is unfortunate to me.

(thought I replied earlier) I hope there are still some updates down the line; it seems odd that the added courses mention something about the Zero-One shrinky dink device being experimental and only available on the Park course, almost implying that a future update would ensure it would get worked on more and you could use the shrinky dink device in other places to explore other micro ecosystems where possible.

Truth be told I thought it was just me, but I'm guessing a lot of others are feeling some type of fatigue in one way or another that's heavily weighing them down, even if it's not related entirely to Era but certainly becoming the straw to break the camel's back.

That being said I can't be gotten rid of that easily, and though I may want to take a break in the future for my own sanity, I do want to stick around just long enough to enjoy one more Direct hypetrain and a bit of Metroid discourse.

If it means anything, I do take notice of your posts even if they are semi-frequent, though I guess it shows just as much of me at how poor I am at maintaining a conversation. Though I wouldn't want to hold you back if you would seek greener pastures, I'd want you to know that I feel at least you leave an impression with this community.

Well from someone who's more of a lurker than active participant, I do enjoy discussions that are actively going on. And I have enjoyed everyone's including Dark Cloud's commentary on the past. May not always agree with everyone/thing, but everyone adds to what makes this thread/forum tick. Good luck if you take a hiatus, hate to see permanence.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I give up on Diggerbot for tonight. Made it to (presumably) his final phase but just couldn't crack it, he never presented his head for shooting again, which confused me.

Night, y'all! Hope we get some good news tomorrow.

Jul 7, 2021
Well from someone who's more of a lurker than active participant, I do enjoy discussions that are actively going on. And I have enjoyed everyone's including Dark Cloud's commentary on the past. May not always agree with everyone/thing, but everyone adds to what makes this thread/forum tick. Good luck if you take a hiatus, hate to see permanence.

Great input! I feel the same way. Everyone here makes it the place that I so very much appreciate. In other words; I appreciate all the people here, and I don't like see people leaving this place. Of course it's their own choice, and we should respect that, but if it comes from a place of feeling unwanted, unimportant or something, yeah...

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
I'm gonna preface this by admitting I don't know jack shit and I desperately want n64 on nso

the labels thing doesn't seem like especially compelling evidence to me

It's not a smoking gun like the SNES label doc (which showed the unmistakable outline of an SNES controller, a mistake they certainly didn't want to repeat), but I find it compelling for a few reasons, mostly the TOP label.

1. The "Back" is the underside of the controller. The filings for NES and SNES controllers have their labels on the "Back". "TOP" would be the front edge of the controller, the side where the cord comes out. Are there any other controllers that even had a label on that side?
2. The shapes of the labels fit into those two locations on the N64 controller. Sure they're both rectangles, but the one the "TOP" is short and wide, just like the one on an N64 controller near the cord.

If anyone has a real N64 controller, try measuring that label near the cord. The measurements in the PDF are 63mm x 17mm, and that shouldn't include the two indentations on either side. The one on the back/bottom is 70mm x 23mm in the PDF.

I grabbed a couple images from ebay to paste the labels in crudely:

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
It's not a smoking gun like the SNES label doc (which showed the unmistakable outline of an SNES controller, a mistake they certainly didn't want to repeat), but I find it compelling for a few reasons, mostly the TOP label.

1. The "Back" is the underside of the controller. The filings for NES and SNES controllers have their labels on the "Back". "TOP" would be the front edge of the controller, the side where the cord comes out. Are there any other controllers that even had a label on that side?
2. The shapes of the labels fit into those two locations on the N64 controller. Sure they're both rectangles, but the one the "TOP" is short and wide, just like the one on an N64 controller near the cord.

If anyone has a real N64 controller, try measuring that label near the cord. The measurements in the PDF are 63mm x 17mm, and that shouldn't include the two indentations on either side. The one on the back/bottom is 70mm x 23mm in the PDF.

I grabbed a couple images from ebay to paste the labels in crudely:

Wow there it is

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you dug out your old GBAs lately? I did a few months ago and I don't know how the hell I saw anything on that tiny ass screen. Final Fantasy Tactics Advances still looked beautiful though.
I play at least one game a year on a Gameboy Micro. The last of it's line, and the best in my opinion.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It's only just now occurring to me that I never owned a rumble pack or a controller pack, and that this would potentially let me experience both. That's fun.

I owned the transfer pack, but it'd be nice if that's included too. If they do throw in everything, I wonder if we'll have to virtually swap out the packs or if they'll have a smarter solution.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
Okay, final label post for now.

The theme with the NES and SNES controllers is that they wanted to stay aesthetically accurate to the originals, even for the labels. So the NES controller still has the "Nintendo Controller" label with the the model number, and a new label was added next to it for the FCC IDs and all the other regulatory stuff.

DSC_6855.jpg
Image1.jpg

The SNES controller also has the label with the model number, and then everything else in a new label below it.

EubfCWv.jpg

Image3.jpg

Now consider the N64 controller. The original controller has the one label with the model number (click for full size).

N64-Rumble-Pak-2048x1573.jpg

This would be the place where Nintendo would want to replicate the look of the original, including the Nintendo logo and new model number in a thin strip label. And that's just what the "top" label of the new controller in the filings has.

label1.png

But where do we put the rest of the information? There's no room on top with the cable (or charging port, in this case) there. So we have to put it on the back.

label2.png

But mind you, it can't be centered on the back, because there's a Z button there. So it has to be near the top.

N64-controller-white-rear.jpg

Capture.png

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019

The theme with the NES and SNES controllers is that they wanted to stay aesthetically accurate to the originals, even for the labels. So the NES controller still has the "Nintendo Controller" label with the the model number, and a new label was added next to it for the FCC IDs and all the other regulatory stuff.

DSC_6855.jpg
Image1.jpg

The SNES controller also has the label with the model number, and then everything else in a new label below it.

EubfCWv.jpg

Image3.jpg

Now consider the N64 controller. The original controller has the one label with the model number (click for full size).

This would be the place where Nintendo would want to replicate the look of the original, including the Nintendo logo and new model number in a thin strip label. And that's just what the "top" label of the new controller in the filings has.

label1.png

But where do we put the rest of the information? There's no room on top with the cable (or charging port, in this case) there. So we have to put it on the back.

label2.png

But mind you, it can't be centered on the back, because there's a Z button there. So it has to be near the top.

Capture.png
Yeah so this is happening and it's happening damn soon haha

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I give up on Diggerbot for tonight. Made it to (presumably) his final phase but just couldn't crack it, he never presented his head for shooting again, which confused me.

Here's a little hint that might help you when you try again!

If you use the Spider Ball on the ground, you can't be sucked up by its vacuum attack

....but something else can, without even having to leave the spider ball

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina

Yeah, I'm mostly using process of elimination. I looked at dimensions and shapes on https://www.dimensions.com/collection/video-game-controllers-gamepads to make sure I wasn't missing anything. It's either an N64 controller or something totally new.

Measuring the boxes in that PDF gives 158mm x 118mm x 61mm. The measurements on https://www.dimensions.com/element/nintendo-64-controller are 160 x 152 x 66. It's not a perfect match, but maybe they only drew the boxes to include the left and right handles (and not the center), and maybe it doesn't include the stick sticking out. Also, they're deliberately not the real outline of the controller, so who knows?

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina

Exactly. Thank you label buddy. Something that a lot of people are brushing off / overlooking (and something I didn't really make clear) is that these are replicas and they want to match the look and feel of the originals, down to where the labels are. Great work.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

DSC_6855.jpg
Image1.jpg

EubfCWv.jpg

Image3.jpg

label1.png

label2.png

Capture.png
I'll be in my bunk.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell you how excited my siblings and I would get if they announce N64 games for the NSO. We grew up on that system so it holds a very special place in all of our hearts.

I ain't telling them anything though until we get an announcement from Nintendo themselves. I would hate to get their hopes up for nothing.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
It's time for y'all to learn how much the N64 controllers fucking suck. And I loved the N64, it was my childhood console, so you can trust me when I say that these controllers are the worst I've ever used.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
Exactly. Thank you label buddy. Something that a lot of people are brushing off / overlooking (and something I didn't really make clear) is that these are replicas and they want to match the look and feel of the originals, down to where the labels are. Great work.
And it's all thanks to the US regulatory state. Three cheers for consumer product regulations!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
You know it would be nice if we got a roadmap of sorts detailing when future systems would be added to NSO even if we don't get them all at once

I'd absolutely love this, and wish we'd had it from that start. That being said, I do wonder if Nintendo would want to be beholden to it.

If we were to get multiple systems added in a short time frame I could 100% see them doing a roadmap, though. Like, "November is GB, February is GBC, May is N64" or something like that.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Ok with no SMTV trailer posted on Atlus' Youtube the final piece is in place (as if we needed more after the US Government leaked that something was happening)

It's happening folks. Worst case scenario now is a Mini shadowdropped tomorrow morning but I'm leaning towards a general.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
It's time for y'all to learn how much the N64 controllers fucking suck. And I loved the N64, it was my childhood console, so you can trust me when I say that these controllers are the worst I've ever used.
without anyone to tell me otherwise, i gripped the n64 controller from both the outside prongs and reached inward to get to the analog stick and z-button. and it's how i do it to this day.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Ok with no SMTV trailer posted on Atlus' Youtube the final piece is in place (as if we needed more after the US Government leaked that something was happening)

It's happening folks. Worst case scenario now is a Mini shadowdropped tomorrow morning but I'm leaning towards a general.
'Leak' isn't really the right word for this. This is a totally normal part of the process, it just so happens the the N64 controller is so distinct you can even recognize it as an abstract drawing.

It's... kind of hilarious, actually.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Here's a little hint that might help you when you try again!

If you use the Spider Ball on the ground, you can't be sucked up by its vacuum attack

....but something else can, without even having to leave the spider ball
I decided to go back and beat him after a few more tries! Tough boss, but definitely engaging. I only just saw your tip now, but thanks so much haha, I still never knew spider ball would prevent you from getting sucked up

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
I'd absolutely love this, and wish we'd had it from that start. That being said, I do wonder if Nintendo would want to be beholden to it.
That's just it -- I unfortunately think that from Nintendo's perspective, the last two years or so have been a very strong argument against doing this. If they'd had a roadmap with a new system for last September, that would have been another thing they'd have to announce a delay for. And announcing a delay of a new feature right around the time subscription renewals are up is notably worse than a delay for a standalone game.

Another part of it is that if tiers are on the table, a roadmap puts you in an awkward place because you don't want to map out price increases ahead of time, but you also don't want to promise features that end up being put behind a higher tier.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

If you haven't played the Prime games, Diggernaut is a very Prime like boss - specific puzzle, different phases where you have to figure out how to hurt it each time. Kinda like Zelda but better.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I believe in the Shadowdrop Mini Direct

But I also believed in something being announced before now, so we'll see how this goes

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Joystick durability sucks sure, but it's extremely ergonomic form-wise. There's a reason GC built off of it

Status
Not open for further replies.