• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I have two threads here that I regular in.

This, which I took a six months hiatus from.
And Media Create Sales from which Chris was now banned.

Maybe it's time to move on completely.

It's kinda disturbing how easily people are banned at times. Go into an old thread from 1 year back and half the users are listed as banned. The forum kinda feels like it's gone quite quiet because of it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Morning, anything i've missed during the weekend?

E: What the fuck happend in that Media Create thread? oO

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
if we get N64 and GB/GBC stuff this month I'm gonna be over the moon tbh

I was definitely in the "it could happen or not and it's all chill" camp until the FCC document, but now I'm feeling zany with possibility. honestly I'm so satisfied with everything right now that literally anything at all in the potential direct is a neat bonus.

if the listing really is an N64 controller, that's gonna be fucking wild

Curious if they would somehow implement Pokemon Home from these old titles..

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Any emulated mainline Pokémon game released on Switch will have some level of Pokémon Home support. I don't think those games will come as part of NSO, but that's a somewhat separate discussion.

You think they might do the same thing as they did with the 3DS as in release separately? I mean I'm still sadly about the 3ds Pokemon games not being available since my 3DS died

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
It's time to come to terms with the next general direct not happening till at least late january

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Ah. Good. I didn't somehow read the length of the ban.
At least I hope that Chris doesn't stop posting the thread or otherwise change.

I hope Chris doesn leave either, but if.. it wouldnt surprise me sadly :(
That would all but kill off those threads for me personally.

MC threads has been a hot zone for years but I've never seen so much moderation in such a short span like today

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't think there's a surefire way. stuff like the burning chibi-robo definitely wasn't though
It's hard to know, but a while back all of NoE's scheduled tweets were being leaked and it was basically all just marketing stuff

Thanks! So there's still a chance but not a very high one. I can imagine a Direct announcement isn't something that can easily be done automatically. Who knows; I'm doubting this week anyway.

1) Yes, the tracks are loads of fun. The game is fun to play, period. It has the satisfying slingshot-style drifting of MK8D (not exactly the same, mind you), and the game runs at a speed similar to the 200cc mode in that game, but here the tracks are actually designed for that speed. There are destructible elements, branching paths, and all manner of points where you're sent flying. There are about nine core tracks that are then remixed with different starting points and directions, time of day, weather, climate (i.e. snow instead of desert), mirrored layouts, altered side paths and collectibles, and unique setpiece spectacle. It's great.

2) The vehicles have different handling, but what's especially fun is upgrading them, which is largely cosmetic but dramatically changes their appearance (you can toggle upgrades on/off if you want to revert to earlier styles). It's weirdly addictive, like leveling up a Pokémon to see what new form it will take. There are 23 vehicles, most of which you unlock by completing tours and finding the 87 hidden keys, and then you use in-game cash (or keys) to buy them, at which point you unlock upgrades by winning races and leveling up (you will usually need 20 first-place finishes to max out a vehicle), and you then buy those upgrades once they're unlocked, so you will want to target the stacks of cash found on the tracks as well. Upgrades include neon, decals, body kits and engines; a huge selection of paint colors is available for each ride by default.

Thank you! This is an excellent explanation of the game.

Seems like there's more reason to continue playing it than Mario Kart tbh, so for £35 I can see it being worth it! I'll check if I can fit it into my budget (which might mean I have to wait until next month cause this month is... something lol) as a game like this is definitely something I kinda need right now :)

As others have said, New Pokémon Snap just barely qualifies although I wasn't really thinking of games like it which have hours upon hours of side content. I was thinking more stuff like the Metroid Prime games, Prince of Persia (Sands of Time was apparently like 9h so I'm not a huge stickler for game length) or Ratchet & Clank which I was playing earlier. These titles used to be like the movies of games but nowadays everyone wants to be television. I found it pretty wild that TLOU2 was roughly 60% longer than its predecessor.

Metroid Dread I definitely expect to fall somewhere in this range, same with Prime 4.

Yeah it's why I missed Pokemon Snap in the first place, and all your examples are good ones. Like I was shocked that I was able to 100% complete Ratchet & Clank in under the time it took me to do one of 6 parts in Yakuza 5.

Your point about titles moving from movies to TV shows is a good one. Like, The Last of Us isn't being made into a movie but a (probably) 10-episode long HBO epic; it's sequel seems to intentionally be designed around the "8-10 episode TV show" format instead of the 3-hour long movie format the first game was designed for. Naughty Dog seems to have left behind the 'compact adventure' thing with The Lost Legacy, and I doubt they're gonna go back considering how successful TLoU:P2 was.

Honestly we're kind of seeing the same thing in popular movies now too. Gone are the days of a big blockbuster 'just' being 90 minutes; everything has to be 2 hours or more (often 2.5 hours), and with Disney+ we're now looking at actual TV shows replacing the single films of yesterday as well. It's probably all about 'value for money'; people simply want more for what they pay for... which is probably another symptom of the ridiculous wage stagnation we currently face, but I digress.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't envy the mod team. It's extremely difficult to moderate threads as active as the MC thread and you're bound to make errors in judgment. Hell, we had our own resident troll here whose only purpose was to rile people up and it took finding out they were an alt to get them banned. Wasn't until later that we found out they were a transphobe too. I don't blame mods for erring on the safe side and assuming that everyone posts in good faith but you let stuff like that fester for too long and it's going to permanently damage the culture in those threads.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Good morning, everyone. Let's all hope this week is finally the week we can play Wario Land on Switch. If not this week, then let's hope at least the announcement comes in a September Direct.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
We know that Pokemon Legends will have connectivity with Pokemon Home even if it is not day 1.
Chances are though, Legends will be like Let's Go where you can put things in HOME from Legends and bring back things from Legends, but you won't be able to put Pokémon from other games in and, once you put a Pokémon from Legends into say SWSH or BDSP, it can't go back to Legends.

My thought is maybe they'll be added in a patch to SWSH and that's why it'll be later. SWSH is to be the Ranked Battle focus afterall

Note: The above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
I'll go to sleep and hope the MC mayhem gets resolved soon, I wouldn't wish those threads to disappear or Chris to never return. But I do think the threads got too heated up at times, they are still leagues better than in the old place though.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't envy the mod team. It's extremely difficult to moderate threads as active as the MC thread and you're bound to make errors in judgment. Hell, we had our own resident troll here whose only purpose was to rile people up and it took finding out they were an alt to get them banned. Wasn't until later that we found out they were a transphobe too. I don't blame mods for erring on the safe side and assuming that everyone posts in good faith but you let stuff like that fester for too long and it's going to permanently damage the culture in those threads.

I dunno though, basically giving the trolls the keys to the kingdom seems like a pretty bold strategy...

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Chances are though, Legends will be like Let's Go where you can put things in HOME from Legends and bring back things from Legends, but you won't be able to put Pokémon from other games in and, once you put a Pokémon from Legends into say SWSH or BDSP, it can't go back to Legends.

My thought is maybe they'll be added in a patch to SWSH and that's why it'll be later. SWSH is to be the Ranked Battle focus afterall

Note: The above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge
Just a side question: Who do you think the director of PLA is and why haven't GF revealed who it is yet?

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
They tend not to reveal who the director is unless doing a dedicated presentation on things.

My money is probably on Takao Unno or Kazumasa Iwao. Heck, maybe Morimoto
Any of those would be legendary. I've been itching to see the Platinum, HGSS, or BW2 directors come back.
Speaking of which, do you know where they've been? Are they still at GF?

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
It'd probably be easier to guess who the Legends director was if there were credits for the DLC. I think we only ever found out that Hiroyuki Tani was the director.

Based on that and Iwao, I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone completely new.

Any of those would be legendary. I've been itching to see the Platinum, HGSS, or BW2 directors come back.
Speaking of which, do you know where they've been? Are they still at GF?
They all worked on SwSh. Even if they were still at the helm, I can't imagine one person could make such a difference in a series as huge as Pokemon that would satisfy certain fans.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Man that's why I don't post too much in the MC thread while I do actively lurk it. Shame all around.

Guess this will be my safehaven

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think love it or loathe it the chances of the rules in the mod post being walked back are slim to none, especailly as a lot of people who care about that thread are currently unable to participate in the discourse.

Frustrating thing is that it didn't have to be handled in this way. All those users, I assume, would have been open to being contacted in how the thread should be improved but that wasn't an option for some good reason maybe.

Oh well. What do I know I'm not an expert in moderating anything, but I have a right to my opinion which is the same thing as being right and sould be respected despite my open ignorance.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
Could someone give me an unbiased summary on what exactly happened and why are many sales enthusiasts banned? I don' have time to go through all related threads bus I am interested. What kind of posts started the banwave, what is the outcome? The only thing I know that it started with the Japanese sales thread. Don't want to bring the drama here, just as I see some of you know what happened and I am afraid that asking in that thread is not appropriate as of right now.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Could someone give me an unbiased summary on what exactly happened and why are many sales enthusiasts banned? I don' have time to go through all related threads bus I am interested. What kind of posts started the banwave, what is the outcome? The only thing I know that it started with the Japanese sales thread. Don't want to bring the drama here, just as I see some of you know what happened and I am afraid that asking in that thread is not appropriate as of right now.
It's probably not a good idea to derail this thread with talk about it, but happy to share what I understand of the situation.. I'm not a MC regular so this is based purely off of reading what I could of the latest thread...

It seems like there was some meta-discussion in the thread about moderation because people there felt trolls were getting away with bad-faith posts. Some users were saying just to report this, and others were saying the threads are already watched etc. but it's clear from reading that there was some frustration that has perhaps lingered for a while. In fairness to others, some people were also posting to say that some posts are assumed to be bad-faith when perhaps they're not - and this can make the thread more hostile to infrequent visitors. The counter argument seems to have been that some bad-faith posts are more obvious trolls and concern trolls. The OP of the MC threads (Chris1964) caught a ban for something he said - which I think was unrelated to that discussion - and things got quite emotive around moderation in the thread. cvxfreak posted new guidelines for posting in the thread here:

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2021 (Sep 06 - Sep 12) [Read STAFF POST] Sales

Lately, there has been an uptick of reported posts and disciplinary action related to the weekly Media Create threads. Many posters have complained of no longer having a voice in these threads because certain posters, including thread regulars, have replied in a hostile or condescending manner...

There continued to be some meta-discussion on the moderation and it looks as though there was another wave of bans until the thread was locked (link below) so they could review everything. A staff warning was posted shortly after and is available to read in threadmarks.

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2021 (Sep 06 - Sep 12) [Read STAFF POST] Sales

I understand where everyone is coming from, but I think it would be fair to at least give the new guidelines 1 week, no? Whether or not Chris’s ban was in the right or the motivations behind it, hiska has the right take at the moment, I think.

One of the accusations against those banned is that people were equating the experience of minority groups with sales data - "inappropriate comparison invoking minority groups". I haven't seen those posts or connected the dots while skipping through the thread, so can't speak as to whether that's happened, but that's what's in some of the ban messages.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

MC this week became more heated than usual. Moderation chimes in, discussions between Chris and moderation.

Dunno if that's the correct timeline because i just skimmed the thread this morning, but because of an argument(?) between a regular and Chris, Chris got a 1 day ban.

Moderation sets up new discussion rules in Media Create threads, thread / sales regulars are not agreeing / happy as these rules don't seem to address what they think is the real problem behind the heated air in these threads.
They voice their disdain.

Now it seems another banwave happend this morning, where a lot regulars of these threads were banned in.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm gonna say is that I'm quite disappointed in what happened today in the Media Create thread.....

There might be a chance the threads won't be the same again especially if Chris doesn't come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.