• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah, as much as I'd love some wacky GameBoy stuff I think N64 is likelier. These are niche items for enthusiasts. Hopefully GameBoy gets some peripheral type love at some point.

b282CbXl.jpg

C10203977_02_back.jpg

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017

I'll be laughing more than anything else if/when this comes to pass, but to its credit, I'd be impressed if a single Switch could support 2P multiplayer Gameboy games over a simulated link cable with split screen

if I remember correctly, Nintendo's inhouse online games have rollback. Ultimate not having it would be a fault on Bamco

Pretty sure Sakurai is to blame as well; I think in one of his Famitsu columns he claims his team did some rollback netcode tests and still preferred the existing online implementation.

www.inverse.com

'Smash Bros.' devs won't add the one feature that could fix online play

'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate' director Masahiro Sakurai revealed in a new interview that Nintendo probably won't ever implement the one thing that could (probably) fix 'Smash Ultimate' online play.

SiliconEra reported on the translation, but Inverse here seems to infer that all of Nintendo refuses to deal with rollback netcode as a result of this column, and that I can't necessarily confirm

undefined

Jan 3, 2021

Metroid poll thread for the next Nintendo Power Podcast which is about the 2D Metroid saga.

Well you gotta try to go to a direction first to know it's the wrong one
Once though in Super Metroid I unawarely brute forced my way to a bonus item that was in the end of a long series of spikes. I built up some health and also got a head start by freezing and stepping into some enemies
I found it weird, and later in the game I noticed I actually didn't have the proper item for getting there
The grappling hook, which explained those funny looking blocks on the ceiling

Last edited:

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
OK, serious question. What is the Nintendo Network ID (NNID) even used for anymore? I have it linked to my Nintendo Account. I kinda just wish it didn't exist because I don't even know what it's for anymore. Am I overlooking something?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
OK, serious question. What is the Nintendo Network ID (NNID) even used for anymore? I have it linked to my Nintendo Account. I kinda just wish it didn't exist because I don't even know what it's for anymore. Am I overlooking something?
Nintendo Network ID is used for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U online services at this point.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Sakurai is to blame as well; I think in one of his Famitsu columns he claims his team did some rollback netcode tests and still preferred the existing online implementation.

www.inverse.com

'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate' director Masahiro Sakurai revealed in a new interview that Nintendo probably won't ever implement the one thing that could (probably) fix 'Smash Ultimate' online play.
SiliconEra reported on the translation, but Inverse here seems to infer that all of Nintendo refuses to deal with rollback netcode as a result of this column, and that I can't necessarily confirm
it's probably a case of fighting game devs in japan not liking rollback for some reason. but doing some googling, ARMS has rollback as does Mario Kart and Splatoon

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
it's probably a case of fighting game devs in japan not liking rollback for some reason. but doing some googling, ARMS has rollback as does Mario Kart and Splatoon

From my limited understanding, I think rollback netcode is in a lot of games, maybe even most. The only reason is ever gets talked about is because many fighting game devs don't use it.

Oct 27, 2017

www.inverse.com

Yeah, I don't think that makes any sense or is true at all

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017

Okay, that's especially weird then, because some of the searches I did for games with Rollback Netcode, the multiple lists I found failed to mention all three of those games. Even for dedicated fighting games, I can understand leaving out Mario Kart or Splatoon, but ARMS is still a fighting game, and isn't even contested as a party game like Smash is.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I remember back in the ancient days, early 360 and PS3, and fighting game devs were super resistant to even putting in online to their games. They argued that fighting games require exact precision which would be impossible to achieve online. And that was true to a point. But it also implied that there was a less of a need for precision on other genres which had already been doing online for years. In something like Counter-Strike, literally half a frame could mean the difference between victory and defeat. The fear of not achieving 100% performance online shouldn't have been an excuse not to even attempt to try it in the first place.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Alright thread I have a confession. I've sinned. I've done something wrong and I need the world to know of my misdeed. Be warned, this is not for the feint of heart. This is might be a bannable offence for which I will accept any punishment.
66-A990-DF-6-B92-4-A4-F-A78-B-DD9-A42-DD14-BB.jpg

I'm sorry for letting you all down. I must strive to do and be better.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
Folks. I think HAC-043 is an N64 controller. Look at the FCC Label & Location doc. Unlike the label and location for NES/SNES controllers that have one label on the "Back", HAC-043 has two: "TOP" and "Back". TOP is a short, wide label.

Now look at the "top" of an N64 controller - it's got a short, wide label :

512px-N64-Controller-Gray-Back.jpg

Edit: Also the shape of the boxes in the label & location seem to line up with the dimensions/footprint of an N64 controller.

PDF for HAC-043 label: https://fccid.io/BKEHAC043/Label/06-Label-and-Location-5452688.pdf
PDF for HAC-033 (NES) label: https://fccid.io/BKEHAC033B/Label/ID-Label-Location-Info-4022263.pdf
PDF for HAC-042 (SNES) label: https://fccid.io/BKEHAC042/Label/ID-Label-Location-Info-4392635.pdf

oooh this seems to imply that the secondary label would go over the rumble pack slot — maybe it'll be closed-back on the replica?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Alright thread I have a confession. I've sinned. I've done something wrong and I need the world to know of my misdeed. Be warned, this is not for the feint of heart. This is might be a bannable offence for which I will accept any punishment.

So you've finally tasted the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge that Subway isn't all that good?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

You're the guy who brags about his wife all the time to cover up the fact that you've been banging her best friend on the side.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
oooh this seems to imply that the secondary label would go over the rumble pack slot — maybe it'll be closed-back on the replica?

That's a good guess - It seems to line up with the shape and position in that rectangle. The underside of the controller doesn't have a flat space anywhere else for such a label, and the replica wouldn't need the connector for memory paks or a real rumble pak. It would be great if they built rumble into that. They're going to charge like $40 for them anyways, toss in a motor.

Also, on the N64 hype train - This month is the 25th anniversary of the NA launch. While I doubt that's the reason they'd add N64 games and sell N64 controllers, it certainly doesn't hurt the marketing and gaming press coverage.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The first angel sounded, and there followed
hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

GrislyRaccoon

Apr 30, 2021
The Rivals of Aether dev has talked about the difficulties of rollback

fornace.medium.com

Rivals on Switch: The Biggest Challenge of my Career

Rivals of Aether is finally coming to Switch on 9/24. What took us so long to get here?
Not only him. I remember reading something where the switch is not powerful enough to run a game like smash and rollback. This is a great oversimpflication, but smash runs at 60 frames per second. Based on how fast this game is, to able to rollback an additional 7 frames, the CPU would need to be able to run the same game at 480 frames per second. This is a great achievement for a modern game on modern hardware, and requires a lot of special engineering. For the humble cpus on switch, running a far more busy fighting game like smash, is a challenge that has simply not been done. Games like rivals is farrrr less graphically intense busier game. Would be more tamed to handle it i would say.
The example i like to give is camera effects. you have all those zoom effects for example when a character dies and character specials and hits. Rolling back any sort of camera effect would be awful.
So all the zoom effects have to re-tuned around your rollback delay, and even normal camera
behaviour would have to be rewritten to not jump around with the game state changes.
Sound effects also have to get a massive amount of attention to be polished- cutting off
and jumping into sounds effects midframe could be rel jarring and bad.
Particles are also often a problem, since particle systems often have non-deterministic components in their libraries.
This is even getting into the wierd game design decisions. MK guys actually refused to rollback
game-ending hits as policy, due to how aggravating that would be.

This is all I remember. So people who loveeeeee to say "just add rollback" and how Nintendo/Namco is lazy to add rollback don't know the hell they saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.