• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to imply that they're both first party titles or anything. Just that I feel like competing for mindshare would be difficult for Super Monkey Ball if it's dropping previews alongside Dread.

On a positive note, my buddy is traveling up to my area this weekend with his 3DS and Samus Returns so I can borrow it and experience it for the first time before Fusion and Dread. Can't wait to knock out 3 Metroid games within the next 1.5 months haha
Ah, I see where you are coming from. My guess is the target audience should be different enough for that not to be an issue, but we'll see when they decide to drop their respective previews.

Enjoy SR!

Dec 21, 2020
Read the Oatmeal Dome 13.0.0 datamine.

SBC codec, even if your AirPods or any headset use a better AAC or AptX it will default to the lower quality SBC.

Really hope they can improve this in the future Switch Succ.

Has anyone been able to better explain the purpose of updating the dock outside of it being limited to use with the OLED Switch? I really hope this means that it is more of a substantial upgrade than is being let on with HDMI 2.0 and some eventual streaming apps THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO ANNOUNCE IN A DIRECT, NINTENDO.
That's what we are curious about in the hardware thread, we theorize that it could be future proofing for the next model possibly a sku without a dock and just the similar packaging to how the Lite came: console(with joycons) and adapter

that form being the cheaper one

and another where it is a full upgrade for those that didn't get the OLED model that is more expensive. so similar packaging to the OLED, V1 and V2 switch with console, dock and adapter with the extra accessories.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
The last time Nintendo didn't have a Direct in September was 2015*. It'll happen.

*2020 had the Mario anniversary and a Partner Direct rather than a general, but that was because general Directs were on hiatus altogether.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The last time Nintendo didn't have a Direct in September was 2015*. It'll happen.

*2020 had the Mario anniversary and a Partner Direct rather than a general, but that was because general Directs were on hiatus altogether.
I feel like anytime we're talking patterns or whatever, anything in 2020 has to have giant asterisks next to everything.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Nate's Podcast with MVG is frankly more exciting to me than a Direct and I'm not joking.

afkgaming%2F2021-08%2F79649079-d0e7-4acd-853b-6a2b92797da3%2Fcopium_png.png

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
Read the Oatmeal Dome 13.0.0 datamine.

SBC codec, even if your AirPods or any headset use a better AAC or AptX it will default to the lower quality SBC.

Really hope they can improve this in the future Switch Succ.

Has anyone been able to better explain the purpose of updating the dock outside of it being limited to use with the OLED Switch? I really hope this means that it is more of a substantial upgrade than is being let on with HDMI 2.0 and some eventual streaming apps THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO ANNOUNCE IN A DIRECT, NINTENDO.
I mean, the SBC thing didn't need to be data mined; it was on Nintendo's website.

Not sure what you mean by "outside of it being limited to use with the OLED" -- both the old and new dock are compatible with the old and new models. The firmware update is for the LAN hardware.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere Dark Cloud is sitting back, watching the Nintendo Direct and the Xenoblade 3 trailer over and over again while we continue to wait.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
-we aren't expecting a direct announcement today
-a direct announcement will happen when we least expect it
-therefore, a direct will be announced today

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I still think it's highly likely we'll be getting some kind of direct in September, but I think this thread needs to accept it's not going to be a "big one". Even if it's not explicitly labeled something like Mini or Partner, I think the biggest thing you can expect to see is MAYBE the next Kirby game announcement and the last Smash character trailer (then a bunch of third party stuff). XB3 is likely such a huge project that it was significantly impacted by the pandemic and Nintendo might choose to wait to announce it until 2022 when it's closer to being done.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Is AAC hardware-agnostic? Because I don't see Nintendo use/license Qualcomm hardware and codecs for aptX support.

If I'm understanding correctly from what I'm reading, it is hardware agnostic, but like hologram says below it seems AAC isn't much more of an improvement at the end of the day, so it might end up being a non-starter 😋

To be honest, most people will not be able to tell the difference between SBC and higher quality codecs. Moreover, apparently outside of Apple devices AAC doesn't really provide much improvement, so what would they use?

I guess if Nintendo has no interest in licensing from Qualcomm or Sony, then they really can't. I suppose there are valid reasons for wanting to take the cheapest, most available option, and that is Nintendo's modus operandi, but fuck, I wish they would spring for something a little better in their hardware here and there. Maybe audio isn't the place when joycons are still drifting, but still.

That's what we are curious about in the hardware thread, we theorize that it could be future proofing for the next model possibly a sku without a dock and just the similar packaging to how the Lite came: console(with joycons) and adapter

that form being the cheaper one

and another where it is a full upgrade for those that didn't get the OLED model that is more expensive. so similar packaging to the OLED, V1 and V2 switch with console, dock and adapter with the extra accessories.

Huh, of course I miss lurking the hardware thread for a day or so, but I like that theory of a new full Switch that can be sold without a dock. I do want to get the new dock regardless especially if it does have the updated HDMI port, so it wouldn't affect me much anyway if I split up the cost of getting a new revision console.

As an aside I hope they take that same approach with RFA2 and sell the game digitally without the controllers because that is a serious drawback with the original game.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the SBC thing didn't need to be data mined; it was on Nintendo's website.

Not sure what you mean by "outside of it being limited to use with the OLED" -- both the old and new dock are compatible with the old and new models. The firmware update is for the LAN hardware.

Honestly my entire post is just poor wording on my part; I just woke up lol ("I can quit Era anytime I want!", he said, jonesing for his phone immediately)

Datamine was an incorrect word, you're right. After reviewing the tweet Oatmeal said nothing of datamine and I just assumed, so I guess there's no hidden features uncovered just yet.

And same with the dock, I meant OLED as a shorthand for the LAN dock.

Breakfast, coffee, shower, and I'll be back in an hour-ish, folks

SirShorse

Jul 16, 2020
I think by Nate's comments, not hearing of any cancellations of any presentation or something so maybe it's just delayed?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No September Direct would suck for a variety of reasons but the biggest one (at least for me) would be third parties missing out on some good publicity. As has been mentioned before, the September Direct is usually rather light on first party content and even though it's not preferable, whatever they still have to announce and show in the coming months can be done via standalone trailers. Third party games, especially smaller ones, benefit hugely from the Directs, however.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
If I'm understanding correctly from what I'm reading, it is hardware agnostic, but like hologram says below it seems AAC isn't much more of an improvement at the end of the day, so it might end up being a non-starter 😋
Yeah, I think we'll be stuck with SBC for the time being. Supports everything, doesn't need additional hardware or licensing, thus relatively cheap -> Perfect 4 Switch Nintendo, I'd say!

Status
Not open for further replies.