• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Needs walls and ceilings to become a tunnel.

Although in Super Metroid there's that bridge, which is also a tunnel, which you blast open with a Power Bomb.

So I guess the answer is when you can Power Bomb it.

"Hello, galactic federation IT. Have you tried power bomb it off and on again?"

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That game got lucky imo. The delays saved that game.
I think it's a little early to say that it was "saved." Remember that delaying a game a year increases the cost of development substantially.

It sure won't underperform, but (imo) it won't simply overperform compared to previous Tales of games. And we all know that this is what Bamco expect and aimed for with this game.

That's what I mean. It looks much more expensive than previous Tales games. They're clearly hoping for it to be a Monster Hunter World-style breakout for the series internationally and have budgeted accordingly, and I'm not sure that's going to work out for them.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Sonic Colors Ultimate is a bugfest because it's running some people are playing it on emulators, apparently:
UPDATE 6TH SEP 2021: Sega has said it's looking into Sonic Colours: Ultimate issues for a potential new patch.

"Appreciate all your feedback on Sonic Colors: Ultimate, and the teams are listening and assessing for an upcoming patch," social media manager for the Sonic brand, Katie Chrzanowski, said in a tweet. "Thank you all for your patience as we dig into this!"

Chrzanowski said some of the graphics glitch issues that have emerged on social media were the result of Sonic Colors: Ultimate running on an emulator, which is "unfortunately outside our control".

"Trying to figure out what bugs are legitimate can really slow down the QA process," Chrzanowski added.
Sega working real hard to outdo Nintendo's limited-run emulated compilation horseshit from 2020.

Edited/patched for clarity - I gave Sega too little credit, and then gave strangers on the internet the benefit of the doubt. A poisonous combination.

Last edited:

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Everyone is waiting for the Direct. I'm just sitting here, waiting for a firmware update that nets us some new avatar options.

Well, waiting for that, and for Metroid Dread, obviously.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I mean. It looks much more expensive than previous Tales games. They're clearly hoping for it to be a Monster Hunter World-style breakout for the series internationally and have budgeted accordingly, and I'm not sure that's going to work out for them.

I don't think anyone at Bamco is so delusional to expect actual MHW numbers (at least i hope so), but yeah, this game has "we want more than usual" written all over it.
That it would take more than just your run-of-the-mill Tales game with shinier graphics is something they should've considered during the planning phase.

Sonic Colors Ultimate is a bugfest because it's running on an emulator, apparently:

Sega working real hard to outdo Nintendo's limited-run emulated compilation horseshit from 2020.

SEGA: "Nintendo released a celebration game bundle running on an emulator? Pfftt, we can do just the same."

Narrator: "They couldn't."

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think it's a little early to say that it was "saved." Remember that delaying a game a year increases the cost of development substantially.

I didn't mean ToA delays. I.meant all the big stuff that ended up skipping 2021.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I suppose the one positive for Sega's approach is that because this game is presumably on sale for longer than 6 months, they might actually fix it.
I think that means that the people that were encountering problems were using an emulator. Not the game itself.
Oh boo. That's way less interesting, but that makes sense.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really think you're overgunning it here. They can pump more money into the game and expect increased returns without anticipating Monster Hunter World sales numbers.

I think it's more relative to what the series was already doing. MH went from selling 4-5m to selling over 15m.

I think Arise will be the best selling Tales game, but not by that degree...

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
The fact that Sega fucked a Wii port up doesn't excuse the basic emulation in 3DAS. I mean, we're setting the bar pretty low if 3DAS is considered a good release
I mean, it wasn't the best thing but the problems with Sonic Colors Ultimate are just appaling.

There was a PS4 user that said that the game uninstalled on its own.

Whether we like it or not, 3D All Stars is a way better product.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Has anybody used either of the Fitness Boxing games?

Full disclosure: I seem to have a chronic illness which makes exercise or any sustained physical activity difficult, because it triggers bouts of illness and fatigue and muscle and joint pain which can last hours or days. I'm looking to begin exercising (outside of daily dog walks) more consistently again, and already have and like Ring Fit, which I was going to boot back up tomorrow. But I thought it might be useful to swap out and use the more cardio orientated Fitness Boxing a couple of times a week, too, so that I could do 20 to 30 minutes a day 5 times a week and see how I manage that.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
SEGA learned an important lesson, the lesson that there's stuff you don't skip. These include:

- Leg day
- QA

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Soo do you feel a Direct this Week?
A Direct this week lines up with prior September patterns (or intended patterns in months when Directs were publicly delayed), would validate all of the exciting rumors that have erupted in the past few days, and would make me very happy when I'm feeling pretty down about life just two days away from my birthday (the long-predicted Direct date)

All good reasons why Nintendo would never dare do it :)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody used either of the Fitness Boxing games?

Full disclosure: I seem to have a chronic illness which makes exercise or any sustained physical activity difficult, because it triggers bouts of illness and fatigue and muscle and joint pain which can last hours or days. I'm looking to begin exercising (outside of daily dog walks) more consistently again, and already have and like Ring Fit, which I was going to boot back up tomorrow. But I thought it might be useful to swap out and use the more cardio orientated Fitness Boxing a couple of times a week, too, so that I could do 20 to 30 minutes a day 5 times a week and see how I manage that.

I've used the second game a bit. It's decent and gets you working up a sweat, and it builds up rather than throwing you in at the deep end. You can do daily exercises that the game decides(a mix of the different exercises) or pick one set and do that. Biggest issue with the game is that the detection can seem a bit wonky on some of the more complex moves - uppercuts can be a bit finicky.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I've used the second game a bit. It's decent and gets you working up a sweat, and it builds up rather than throwing you in at the deep end. You can do daily exercises that the game decides(a mix of the different exercises) or pick one set and do that. Biggest issue with the game is that the detection can seem a bit wonky on some of the more complex moves - uppercuts can be a bit finicky.
I'll probably put them on the eShop wishlist and attempt to mentally force a 50% price cut so I can give one of them a go sometime.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if Tales of Arise succeeds commercially, does it really count if it doesn't make full use of PS/XB/PC hardware?

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The Sonic Colors debacle is so disappointing. I was gonna pick it up day one, but obviously I'm gonna hold off now, and as a Switch-only user I'll probably never get the game.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even bothered asking for a review code of Sonic Colors lol

about the Direct: with TGS being later than usual this year, I place my bet on a second-half-of-September Direct

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking about when the Direct could happen, a brief (maybe) analysis that touches on two points

1) the day of the week

Funnily enough, there's some consistency here when looking at major presentations and I have to thank MondoMega for noticing it; I don't understand the reason behind it, but there's a pattern that can be traced back by looking at the Directs of the Switch era

Fire Emblem Direct January 18th, 2017 - Wednesday
Ninendo Direct April 12th, 2017 - Wednesday
Arms / Splatoon 2 Direct May 17th, 2017 - Wednesday
Pokémon Direct June 6th, 2017 - Tuesday
Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 - Tuesday
Splatoon 2 Direct July 6th, 2017 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct September 13th, 2017 - Wednesday
Animal Crossing Pocket Camp Mobile Direct October 24th, 2017 - Tuesday
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct November 7th, 2017 - Tuesday

Nintendo Direct Mini January 11th, 2018 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct March 8th, 2018 - Thursday

Nintendo Direct E3 2018 - Tuesday
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct August 8th, 2018 - Wednesday
Dragalia Lost Mobile Direct August 29th, 2018 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct September 6th / 13th, 2018 - Thursday
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct November 1st, 2018 - Thursday

Nintendo Direct February 13th, 2019 - Wednesday

Pokémon Direct February 27th, 2019 - Wednesday
Super Mario Maker 2 Direct May 15th, 2019 - Wednesday
Pokémon Direct June 5th, 2019 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct E3 2019 - Tuesday
Nintendo Direct September 4th, 2019 - Wednesday

Pokémon Direct January 9th, 2020 - Thursday
Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct February 20th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini March 26th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase July 20th, 2020 - Monday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase August 26th, 2020 - Wednesday
Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct September 3rd, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase September 17th, 2020 + Monster Hunter Direct September 17th, 2020 - Thursday
Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase October 28th, 2020 - Thursday
Super Nintendo World Direct December 18th, 2020 - Friday

Nintendo Direct February 17th, 2021 - Wednesday
Nintendo Direct: E3 2021 - Tuesday

Note: presentations that don't fall under the Direct brand (like the Indie Showcases / Indie World) and / or aren't aired across Europe / Americas / Asia at the same time aren't included. Pokémon Presents aren't included since The Pokémon Company handles them with more autonomy compared to the Pokémon Directs.

As you can see, outside of E3 where Nintendo constantly takes the Tuesday slot (and of course it's an event with other major parties involved), other general Directs tend to fall on the same day of the week: on Thursdays in even years, on Wednesdays in odd years. If we go by Nintendo's original planning before the pandemic really disrupted plans, the Direct Mini from March 2020 was aired on a Thursday and then we got several Partner Showcases in different days of the week (the first one aired on a freaking Monday!), but it's probably notable to see that the only Partner Showcase that was livestreamed instead of dropped out-of-nowhere happened, once again, on a Thursday. Also, starting from 2019 it looks like themed Directs were also aired in the same days as the general presentations, with the sole exception of the Super Nintendo World Direct.

2021 is an odd year, and February's Direct was indeed aired on a Wednesday. Thus, if Nintendo keeps on following their...weird patterns (seriously, why) the September Direct should be aired on a Wednesday as well.

2) when in September exactly

The February 2021 Direct was aired on February 17th, 2021. That's the date of the February 2019 Direct + 4. If Nintendo follows the same criteria, the September Direct should fall on September 8th, 2021. The first "full" September week, like the September 2019 Direct and the September 2018 one according to the original plans, before the delay caused by the earthquake. However, back in 2017, the Direct was aired in the second "full" week of September.

Also, let's look at when the Tokyo Games Show started the past few years

TGS 2017 - September 21st, 2017; 8 days after the Direct aired
TGS 2018 - September 20th, 2018; 14 days after the Direct was originally intended to be broadcasted
TGS 2019 - September 14th, 2019; 10 days after the Direct was aired

TGS 2020 started on September 23rd so one week after the Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase September 2020 presentation...but 2020 was also a weird year with plans that changed a lot compared to the original intentions.

TGS 2021 will start on September 30th. Given the relatively late start of the event and considering how much Japanese third parties could try to tie their own reveals with the pre-TGS Direct, it's possible Nintendo and third parties are going with a slightly different schedule compared to 2018 (original) and 2019, that is the Direct is aired the second, if not the third "full" week of September.

3) how much the PlayStation Showcase matters for the Direct's stream date

Last year, Sony had their PS Showcase on September 16th. Several hours before the event, Nintendo announced the Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase September 2020 for September 17th, 2020 and it was livestreamed not even 24 hours after the Sony event ended. They may not care that much but who knows.

...And yeah, in the end, Nintendo may say "fuck the patterns" and have the Direct on a Thursday, maybe even this week just right after the Sony event. Or they could just shadow-drop a Mini. Or it could be a Partner Showcase. Or... I mean, the latter two cases have very, very low chances of happening truth be told. But Nintendo can be both predictable and unpredictable at the same time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if Tales of Arise succeeds commercially, does it really count if it doesn't make full use of PS/XB/PC hardware?

Wait - how does that work for cross gen games?
I rarely play in portable mode but I have a dock in every room with a TV so that makes playing in any room convenient and as a result I play more games on it.

Did you buy the separate docks?
The main takeaway for me is that the hybrid console concept is definitely not a gimmick as 40% of the userbase thinking about the console not mainly as a handheld/desktop but as a hybrid.

Yup, people very much understand and appreciate the flexibility of the platform
I mean, it's not like MH wasn't a million seller in the west before World

Sshhh lets ignore the fact it was already successful and growing on 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.