• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree with this. The thing that confuses me the most is why they didn't just focus on Santa Destroy and roll the other islands into their own stages. I think that would have worked out better both technically and as a game element.

Isn't Virtuos doing Alan Wake Remastered? I'd say it's definitely a possibility.

That would have been a good compromise. Especially when they're not really used all that much anyway, the only interesting bit of Thunderdome is Neo Osaka which is used as a mini-level

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Virtuos doing Alan Wake Remastered? I'd say it's definitely a possibility.
I think we'll find out next week. But yes, it was speculated that Virtuos was working with Remedy with something. Zhuge said Alan Wake will be revealed next week, either at State of Play or Nintendo Direct. Old ports are more of a Nintendo Direct thing.

indospot

Jan 13, 2021
On the technical aspects I think going with discrete unique stages between chapters would have been better, but I guess they wanted the open world as it was one of the things people really missed about NMH1 in the sequel; they were obviously working with limited resources too.
That's interesting, I actually thought removing the open world was beneficial to NMH2. If they wanted to bring it back, I wish it had been better than in the first one, but it really wasn't. And in some ways it may have compromised other parts of the game that would have been more polished up by not wasting time on the open world.

Aug 15, 2020
That would have been a good compromise. Especially when they're not really used all that much anyway, the only interesting bit of Thunderdome is Neo Osaka which is used as a mini-level
Same thing with some of the larger aspects of Santa Destroy. Some of the clutter and structures could have been their own levels while still retaining the feeling of SD being more developed. If I'm being honest, I'm a little disappointed Suda didn't scope the game better, especially after coming off of TSA. That felt like it fit the Switch really well.
I think we'll find out next week. But yes, it was speculated that Virtuos was working with Remedy with something. Zhuge said Alan Wake will be revealed next week, either at State of Play or Nintendo Direct. Old ports are more of a Nintendo Direct thing.
Yeah, like how Dark Souls Remastered debuted in that one Direct Mini.
That's interesting, I actually thought removing the open world was beneficial to NMH2. If they wanted to bring it back, I wish it had been better than in the first one, but it really wasn't. And in some ways it may have compromised other parts of the game that would have been more polished up by not wasting time on the open world.
It's kind of funny because the open world in 2 was removed in part due to fan feedback (and time and budget) and now fans said they wanted the open world back. In some ways III is to 2 as TSA is to 1 and I think some of the fan feedback kind of hurts both 2 and III.

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
Zx5Ol6U.png
Xenoblade Chronicles Beginning of the New World sounds like wishful thinking, but at the same time it makes too much sense. Go for it, Monolith.

Nov 2, 2017
10 days ago i tested positive for covid, i was feeling pretty decent but then around monday i started feeling really bad, whole body hurting, no energy, coughing by brains out. i didn't think much of it but yesterday did a ct scan and turns out my lungs were 30% infected. this morning i started taking remdisivir iv which i'm gonna do for 4 more days. this thing is like a miracle, i got home from the hospital, slept for 3 hours, and then woke up feeling MUCH better. glad i didn't miss the direct 😬

boo @ no GBA
Glad you are better. I've been sick as well, had some pressure on my head, wasn't like a typical headache, and it was making me feel light headed and dizzy for several days

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm wondering what sort of details Nintendo are hiding with their first party games post-Dread. WarioWare has had the demo and is now very imminent (exciting), and the rest of Nintendo's line up has had very little in the way of advertisement since E3. We've seen more of Diamond/Pearl, but we don't really know anything else about the rest. Obviously, the September Direct can cover things and there's plenty of time to get trailers out after that. We've also only just found out about Big Brain Academy, and Nintendo likely have more content coming (GB/GBC on NSO, Hyrule Warriors DLC, the final Smash fighter, Animal Crossing content, maybe some eShop games). Dread has thankfully had a lot of exposure.

Out of the remaining line-up, I'm thinking/hoping there's more to the Advance Wars remake than meets the eye. It's interesting Nintendo made the decision to package the first two games together and called it "Reboot Camp". I'm hoping that title is actually accurate and that this remake has some new content to pave the way towards new games in the series.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering what sort of details Nintendo are hiding with their first party games post-Dread. WarioWare has had the demo and is now very imminent (exciting), and the rest of Nintendo's line up has had very little in the way of advertisement since E3. We've seen more of Diamond/Pearl, but we don't really know anything else about the rest. Obviously, the September Direct can cover things and there's plenty of time to get trailers out after that. We've also only just found out about Big Brain Academy, and Nintendo likely have more content coming (GB/GBC on NSO, Hyrule Warriors DLC, the final Smash fighter, Animal Crossing content, maybe some eShop games). Dread has thankfully had a lot of exposure.

Out of the remaining line-up, I'm thinking/hoping there's more to the Advance Wars remake than meets the eye. It's interesting Nintendo made the decision to package the first two games together and called it "Reboot Camp". I'm hoping that title is actually accurate and that this remake has some new content to pave the way towards new games in the series.
Advance Wars most likely has an online mode that Nintendo hasn't talk about. For Mario party Superstars, I expect a brand new newcomer, someone from other Nintendo series is my personal wish but is probably Pauline.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Everyone's hinting about XB3 but no one about Fire Emblem which is big sad, I just want to know man. Its been a while since Three Houses, I really hope we get to see it

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I never liked the lumping of rail shooters together. There's a very big difference between a game like Star Fox and light gun shooters. There's a big difference between Star Fox and like, most rail shooters period. That's part of why I like Star Fox so much. It's "on rails", sure, but acceleration, deceleration and dodging/moving is a big part of it. It's, in a way, like a rail shooting platformer. There's not really anything else I can think of that truly plays like it. Even games like Sin & Punishment are VERY different.

Oh yeah, Panzer Dragoon is a good example of something else similar.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on vacation so I haven't been keeping up with the thread but it sounds like everyone is enjoying Sonic Colors HD, another quality installment in Sega's most beloved franchise.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity why do you (and others) think it's too soon? The last game came out about 4 years ago, and Monolithsoft is pretty huge and known to be fairly efficient.
there isn't a well Thought out reason on my end. Just a quick "ain't feeling it". And don't care enough to put much thought into it, no rush for me.

Spheromancer

Sep 24, 2020
Sega should let the Starfox team make a Sonic game and the Sonic team should make a Starfox game just so I can personally see what type of fuckery unfolds.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I can tell this is fake by the fact it's almost devoid of 3rd party stuff that we don't know anything about with most of the known announcements being delegated to 'sizzle reel'. Reads like it was written by someone who only ever grew up watching E3 presentations from Nintendo in the early 2000s when 3rd party content were indeed delegated to sizzle reells.

There's been substaintial, even if its not groundbreaking announcements in every September direct not from Nintendo and they were not in sizzle reels.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Same!! Pre ordered the trilogy but I just started playing three or four days ago. Finished the first game today! I love VNs.
I just finished the first game today too! My friends were so confident I'd like it they had me import it. I think it's one of my first ever VNs, not totally sure I've played one before, but it was so good!

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Sega is intentionally trying to kill the Sonic franchise, change my mind.

In an interview, someone from Sega that the reason why they were bringing over Sonic Colors was because there were a lot of new fans because of the movie and they wanted a representative entry point for those people. The original Colors captures a lot of the series except it's long history of bugs and jank. Sega just added them in to the HD version so new fans know what to expect.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Let's do an interesting avatar bet. Will the next 3D Mario game from EPD Tokyo be a direct sequel to Super Mario Odyssey? Direct sequel meaning it's called Super Mario Odyssey 2 or continues the lineage of individual open ended collectathon levels themed around captures. Not Odyssey 2 means it carries over little in gameplay structure, mechanics or theming from Super Mario Odyssey and, obviously, has its own subtitle. It's not going to be announced this month but just in case, can't hurt to start this now.

#TeamOdyssey2

#TeamNotOdyssey2

stealthyfrog

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Let's do an interesting avatar bet. Will the next 3D Mario game from EPD Tokyo be a direct sequel to Super Mario Odyssey? Direct sequel meaning it's called Super Mario Odyssey 2 or continues the lineage of individual open ended collectathon levels themed around captures. Not Odyssey 2 means it carries over little in gameplay structure, mechanics or theming from Super Mario Odyssey and, obviously, has its own subtitle. It's not going to be announced this month but just in case, can't hurt to start this now.

#TeamOdyssey2

#TeamNotOdyssey2

stealthyfrog

Well do you consider Sunshine a direct sequel to 64?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
See, I've tried my best to set the conditions but if we get into a gray area like that we'll most likely need to let democracy decide

Hahah. Well, if I'm looking at the games like this 64 -> Sunshine -> Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2 is direct sequel -> 3D Land, 3D World is a direct sequel -> Odyssey

Then I'd say the next game won't be a direct sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.