• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose so, if even Dolphin only recently sorted some graphical glitch with RE4 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron a few months ago, I guess it'll be trickier for Nintendo with more limited hardware despite having access to source codes.
That kinda thing is exactly what Nintendo shouldn't be struggling with given they have actual documentation. The issue is purely the performance of the Switch CPU. Dolphin doesn't run well on it either.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I know I probably shouldn't be drawing more attention to it but I'm still shook that Dark Cloud got perma'd

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
quake #1 on the NA eshop. Must be well liked, I never played the series or pay much attention to it.

and Cooking simulator showing up as always cause it drops to 2 bucks every time lol

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Having access to the source code is huge, which is why Nintendo's emulators tend to leapfrog long running emulators or catch up quickly despite much shorter development times.

You can look at the DSi to see how willing Nintendo was to easily give up (GBA) BC.
That kinda thing is exactly what Nintendo shouldn't be struggling with given they have actual documentation. The issue is purely the performance of the Switch CPU. Dolphin doesn't run well on it either.

Man, I don't know where I come up with this white male confidence on any aspect of game development ahaha 😅

Actually I completely forgot about DSi not playing GBA games; I only ever had the OG DS in my house before I got the OoT3D console bundle. I think I held a DS lite once, but I didn't know anybody who had a DSi growing up.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I've felt since E3 that a September Direct would be largely superfluous, but remember that this is a marketing tactic as well. I expect to see info about fall games, like some of the remaining Mario Party content and maybe the technically unannounced WarioWare characters. As others have noted, it's also typically a very partner-oriented show. That GTA collection, if real and coming to Switch, is a prime candidate.

There's been one since 2017 for Switch, there's usually a few surprises that pop up. Nothing ground breaking, 3rd party focus plus a tease for the next year. Since we usually get nothing after September until Feb/March the next year, not having a Sept direct means an October or November direct which would just mean there's a direct just later. Without a COVID like event, they aren't going to leave 6+ months with no direct, and even with covid , after a pause, they still ultimately managed to make several smaller ones.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Most I expect on a first party front for a Sept Direct is smash character, showing already announced games (the 2021 games, pokemon, Splatoon 3) and one new first party reveal at the very end

Really don't think we'll see Xeno 3 AND Kirby AND FE.

Kirby screams reveal in Feb release in April/May. FE reveal in feb release in summer/fall. Xeno 3 is good for a hype, ending reveal. I don't see FE as that.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
comical xeno bias lmao

iirc three houses sold substantially more than xeno 2
I don't think it's too outlandish if you consider we're talking about a new game for one series and a remake for the other.

The gap between the last recorded numbers for Xeno 2 and Three Houses is 1m, but considering we're talking about two series people would throw in the "niche" bin 2m ain't all that bad.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
There's been one since 2017 for Switch, there's usually a few surprises that pop up. Nothing ground breaking, 3rd party focus plus a tease for the next year. Since we usually get nothing after September until Feb/March the next year, not having a Sept direct means an October or November direct which would just mean there's a direct just later. Without a COVID like event, they aren't going to leave 6+ months with no direct, and even with covid , after a pause, they still ultimately managed to make several smaller ones.

I'm still clinging to the idea that Bill Trinen's statement around us seeing it in the 'coming months' (following E3) as genuine and that September is a reasonable candidate:

"I think as we start to show a bit more of the game over the coming months to the next year or so, it'll probably start to be a bit more apparent where this game stands on its own and what makes it so unique,"

This could mean January as well, but I just feel like it'll happen sooner.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Most I expect on a first party front for a Sept Direct is smash character, showing already announced games (the 2021 games, pokemon, Splatoon 3) and one new first party reveal at the very end

Kirby screams reveal in Feb release in April/May. FE reveal in feb release in summer/fall. Xeno 3 is good for a hype, ending reveal. I don't see FE as that.
If Xenoblade is good for a final so is Fire Emblem honestly.

especially since Fire Emblem is more popular overall.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
comical xeno bias lmao

iirc three houses sold substantially more than xeno 2
Both would make a good closer. Imagine saying this like ten years ago though. Both have grown in popularity and in the case of Xenoblade, it's cool to see it cement itself as a beloved Nintendo franchise.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia

I think they save the big final Smash reveal for The Game Awards unless its underwhelming - but yeah they have plenty to show thats announced with a few new things sprinkled (maybe Xeno, Kirby, FE as you say, or Donkey Kong)

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with the FE remake is that it's going to be closer to the older FE games and not the modern games that exploded in popularity. So I don't think there is any reason to compare it to Awakening, Fates or Three Houses. But we will see how it does.

Oct 25, 2017
We also have to see the EPD Tokyo game pretty soon as Odyssey was in 2017.
sometimes i think this, but i tend to forget that bowser's fury would have a been a pretty big effort, even given it length and asset reuse -- so i'm with you /sort of/ but it's not like they've been totally mia for the last four years. it could go either way imo.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I don't think it's too outlandish if you consider we're talking about a new game for one series and a remake for the other.

The gap between the last recorded numbers for Xeno 2 and Three Houses is 1m, but considering we're talking about two series people would throw in the "niche" bin 2m ain't all that bad.
exactly, neither is a hype finale lol

but I wasn't considering that fire emblem is expected to be a remake

OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
The 2019 September Direct show ender was literally a Xenoblade remaster. I think a Fire Emblem remake is definitely hype enough

Also Josh5890 I think your poll is broken, I voted for Splatoon 3 and it registered as "Something Else" and at the time that was leading with 100% of the vote, lol

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
sometimes i think this, but i tend to forget that bowser's fury would have a been a pretty big effort, even given it length and asset reuse -- so i'm with you /sort of/ but it's not like they've been totally mia for the last four years. it could go either way imo.

Captain Toad was a bigger effort and that came out between 3D World and Odyssey. It's nothing new.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with the FE remake is that it's going to be closer to the older FE games and not the modern games that exploded in popularity. So I don't think there is any reason to compare it to Awakening, Fates or Three Houses. But we will see how it does.
If it's Genealogy, it's the inspiration for some aspects of the modern titles so I disagree with the notion that it possibly won't do as well as three houses

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
[
Reposting so I'm not stuck on the last page lol

Well... I tried voting for splatoon and my vote went to something else? Not sure what happened with the poll there. Given I know a bunch of others also expect splatoon but it has zero votes, has this also happened to others ..?

The late march/early April game will be something to push online subs like new horizons and monster hunter rise were the past 2 years. Means that of the announced titles, it can only be splatoon 3.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
[

Well... I tried voting for splatoon and my vote went to something else? Not sure what happened with the poll there. Given I know a bunch of others also expect splatoon but it has zero votes, has this also happened to others ..?

The late march/early April game will be something to push online subs like new horizons and monster hunter rise were the past 2 years. Means that of the announced titles, it can only be splatoon 3.
I also voted for Splatoon wtf

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Captain Toad was a bigger effort and that came out between 3D World and Odyssey. It's nothing new.
Wasn't there a rumor of a Captain Toad 2?

Between Bowser's Fury and CT2 (if true) it could be not until the Switch 2 that we see a new 3D Mario.

Personally I'd love an Odyssey 2 that piggy backs off of some of the inter-connect open world concepts of Bowser's Fury!

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
You can't really match up "hype finale" with "what that game's sales numbers are going to eventually be", because "hype finale" depends wildly on which fan group you're referring to. For the hardcore/single-player-focused Nintendo crowd, Xenoblade 3 or Fire Emblem would DEFINITELY be a great closer, while something like Splatoon 3 that closed the February Direct (which is likely to sell 4-8 times what either of those would sell) isn't all that exciting for most of that crowd. But the reverse is also true.

So the moral of the story is, arguing about what a "hype" finale is is really pointless since it's incredibly subjective. And it usually just makes people feel bad since you're automatically excluding someone or stomping on someone's favorite games.

So maybe let's just avoid all that entirely?

EDIT: Or, put another way, saying what you think would be good is obviously fine, just maybe don't do it by putting down other games/people/etc., as with pretty much everything

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it matters too much what the finale is. Both FE and XBC could be it. Maybe it's a new IP and then everyone can be angry Nintendo isn't making a sequel to XX game instead.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I don't think it matters too much what the finale is. Both FE and XBC could be it. Maybe it's a new IP and then everyone can be angry Nintendo isn't making a sequel to XX game instead.
Have they ever closed with a new IP? I'm genuinely curious, I don't remember one off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.