• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
remember when people would shout "Metroid!" at their teevees? Those were the days

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
These days I shout METROID at my TV and then watch the latest trailer and get very excited. Life is good.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I miss C. Tsubasa in times like these :(

He's way better off lurking than dropping hints. Too many people jumping on things he says assuming their hints, or criticizing any actual hints that didn't pan out exactly as he'd said - 2020 was a hell of a year for shifting dates and plans behind the scenes.

There so much wrong with this pic, like, white curtains on white wall?? What heathen does this, is that even a curtain?

Looks like blackout roller blinds.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

Hop and Leon are possibly mixed race, you can see their family in game, but they could also just be black, or from other ethnicities with darker skin. Their familys skin tone varies a lot, though, with some very dark to some lighter. But there are some things used throughout that made me think they also might be Latin American, I should say and not necessarily Brazilian specifically. Hop's Final Battle theme specifically has a huge Latin American influence in it and I don't think that was for nothing.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just saying we have a new Metroid game out next month sounds weird. I still haven't fully processed it.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
A random thought - Nintendo's made sure official Wii U emulation will never be worth figuring out no matter how powerful the hardware gets, since Switch emulation gets you 90% of the first party titles and the Switch library. Games like Color Splash and Woolly World may be lost on that platform until the end of time.

Everything, surprisingly enough.

GameCube really just isn't technically viable yet from what I've seen. It kinda sorta is - but, like, a $35-$45 a pop for straight emulation kinda deal. That backlash would be tremendous after they charged $20 for Wii games on the Wii U eShop.

May as well just spend way less effort in a couple years when the new hardware can emulate it without the extra work. If I had to guess, we get GBA next year, new hardware, N64 emulation for the base Switch in 2023, and then finally GCN emulation exclusive to the new hardware. Obviously just guessing though. No guesses as to what distribution looks like, $20 a year for all that will stop being viable pretty fast.

I suppose so, if even Dolphin only recently sorted some graphical glitch with RE4 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron a few months ago, I guess it'll be trickier for Nintendo with more limited hardware despite having access to source codes.

I just...don't understand how Wii U would have so willingly given up the chance for Gamecube emulation/ISOs/ROM files if the hardware was capable of running it natively. Maybe if the console was more successful there would have been stronger efforts to make the VC more inclusive of consoles and games available on GC that now couldn't have been played, especially with the opportunity to sell more plastic accessories than just what Smash 4 could have offered alone. At least it wouldn't feel like the entire Gamecube library is being snuffed out

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose so, if even Dolphin only recently sorted some graphical glitch with RE4 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron a few months ago, I guess it'll be trickier for Nintendo with more limited hardware despite having access to source codes.

Having access to the source code is huge, which is why Nintendo's emulators tend to leapfrog long running emulators or catch up quickly despite much shorter development times.

I just...don't understand how Wii U would have so willingly given up the chance for Gamecube emulation/ISOs/ROM files if the hardware was capable of running it natively. Maybe if the console was more successful there would have been stronger efforts to make the VC more inclusive of consoles and games available on GC that now couldn't have been played, especially with the opportunity to sell more plastic accessories than just what Smash 4 could have offered alone. At least it wouldn't feel like the entire Gamecube library is being snuffed out

You can look at the DSi to see how willing Nintendo was to easily give up (GBA) BC.

Dec 21, 2020
Hop and Leon are possibly mixed race, you can see their family in game, but they could also just be black, or from other ethnicities with darker skin. Their familys skin tone varies a lot, though, with some very dark to some lighter. But there are some things used throughout that made me think they also might be Latin American, I should say and not necessarily Brazilian specifically. Hop's Final Battle theme specifically has a huge Latin American influence in it and I don't think that was for nothing.
I don't even know what's worse, me a person of color forgetting that those characters exist, or the game being so forgettable that I didn't remember they were in that game.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I don't even know what's worse, me a person of color forgetting that those characters exist, or the game being so forgettable that I didn't remember they were in that game.
You forgot the Champion and the rival character? Like, sure the game doesn't have the most memorable plot (except in how ludicrously stupid the finale gets) but I'd think if you remembered any character it would be one of those two

Dec 21, 2020
You forgot the Champion and the rival character? Like, sure the game doesn't have the most memorable plot (except in how ludicrously stupid the finale gets) but I'd think if you remembered any character it would be one of those two
I was able to beat the game within a day or two and that was when I felt like crap, deep in the thick of it with COVID-19, and the plot was so light and not engaging from what I recall that I didn't really remember much of the game outside of the Wild Area and the Pokemon like Frosmoth.

I do remember Magnolia though, now that I think about it. But only because she looks exactly like my grandmother.

It's the one plot I can't really remember too well from a mainline pokemon game, and I played them all

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I love card base games.

digimon World 3 had a card game that was pretty simple but it was my favorite part of that game cause it meant collecting cards and play different opponents with their own strategy. Tho in that case, the game Wasn't random, the opponent would always draw the same cards and make the same moves when ever you faced them. So it doesn't have much replay value.

also I woke up from a nap. Naps are good

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
I think it's very unlikely with current Nintendo, but I sure hope MVG's prediction of Fusion being unlockable in Dread is right.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's very unlikely with current Nintendo, but I sure hope MVG's prediction of Fusion being unlockable in Dread is right.

Even old Nintendo rarely did that. Outside of Animal Crossing, I think it was just Zero Mission and uhhh well sometimes you had Mario Bros in certain games.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
Even old Nintendo rarely did that. Outside of Animal Crossing, I think it was just Zero Mission and uhhh well sometimes you had Mario Bros in certain games.
The only thing that gives me some kind of hope is the updated Fusion images that were shown in one of the trailers and the Dread Report. They were basically higher quality images from the intro of Fusion as well as one of the SA-X, tho I guess these could just be just for marketing or even just shown in the intro of Dread as sort of a recap of the previous mission.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Imma get dragged for this (and I truly hope I'm wrong), but something I've thought about for a couple of days... does Nintendo need a Direct right now?

The rest of the year is pretty well laid out. We really just need some more details on Advace Wars ReBoot Camp. We already have a healthy amount of 2022 games announced. I feel like at this point, if there is a Direct, it will be extremely 3rd-Party focused.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Imma get dragged for this (and I truly hope I'm wrong), but something I've thought about for a couple of days... does Nintendo need a Direct right now?

The rest of the year is pretty well laid out. We really just need some more details on Advace Wars ReBoot Camp. We already have a healthy amount of 2022 games announced. I feel like at this point, if there is a Direct, it will be extremely 3rd-Party focused.

Nintendo doesn't really have anything for early 2022 announced yet outside of Legends. Which is a big game, but there's still room to have other stuff and Nintendo tends to have a variety of games for each section of the year. BOTW2 isn't early 2022, Splatoon is unlikely to be either.

Aug 25, 2019

September Directs have been quite 3rd party focused in the past. 2019 is an example. Nintendo could announce XB3 and maybe something else, give more info on Splatoon 3 and fill the rest with third party stuff and you'll have a fine Direct.

Besides, the 2022 games we know of are mostly 'vague' 2022 titles. One or more release date reveals would be nice.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

They don't really need to do a Direct but it'd be cool to hear more info on upcoming games and surprises.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

AnchoredWavyGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel-max-1mb.gif

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

September Directs are usually very 3rd-party focused, that's pretty normal. It just depends on how far out Nintendo wants to announce/talk about early 2022 games. We still don't have a game slotted for March, for example, and Nintendo ALWAYS has a March game (I'm counting MHR from last year even if it's not 1st party). Now it could well be that Splatoon 3 is March, but I'm guessing there will be more to share as well. Plus one or two reveals for later in the year, most likely.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

I've felt since E3 that a September Direct would be largely superfluous, but remember that this is a marketing tactic as well. I expect to see info about fall games, like some of the remaining Mario Party content and maybe the technically unannounced WarioWare characters. As others have noted, it's also typically a very partner-oriented show. That GTA collection, if real and coming to Switch, is a prime candidate.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
You can look at the DSi to see how willing Nintendo was to easily give up (GBA) BC.
As some have said, BC is a feature many ask for but at the end not that many people end up using because most just go for the newest games, and depending on the case it can be hard to find the physical copies of some games. The best case is to also have digital versions of the games like Microsoft has been doing, something the Wii U barely did and the 3DS didn't do at all.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There is nothing wrong with that sentiment, but Nintendo has seemed to follow a three big directs/events per year schedule (2020 aside) for some time. The September direct does a good job right before the holiday season of reinforcing Fall/winter games while giving a tease of next Spring. I guess in an ideal world the fall direct could get pushed back a little bit since there will be a 5~6 month wait until the next direct, but that is the time of year where plenty of games get released.

At this point we know of Legends in January and that is it as far as next year's schedule is concerned. The September direct should likely give us the March game.

indospot

Jan 13, 2021

I gotta admit I'm kind of on the same boat. I'll 100% be excited for one, and the more games the better, but I feel completely satisfied with what we know right now.

That could also be because I've been trying to play more retiro games lately so I kinda have a huge backlog technically lol

Status
Not open for further replies.