• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Sushi is gross.

I never had it.

but I've learned on the internet I can fully judge things just by knowing about them.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Excited that Midnight Suns is coming to Switch. Go full Fire Emblem with this, I want to have tea with Ghost Rider.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Top Tales of games

1. Tales of Symphonia
2. Tales of Vesperia

That's it. That's all I've played.

I enjoy Tales more than I dislike Tales. My favorite list of a real hodgepodge though. I'm a Legendia stan. I also really love Xillia 1. Love Symphonia. Love Abyss, especially the rather non-standard cast.

I have a love-hate relationship with Xillia 2. I love a lot about it,
but the way the story treats other worlds pisses me off. The other worlds disappearing, with real sentient people, just feels like an afterthought. The way the other Milla is used only for "original Milla" to return really sucks. Basically, everything involving the original cast kind of sucks, and the new stuff is generally great.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy Tales more than I dislike Tales. My favorite list of a real hodgepodge though. I'm a Legendia stan. I also really love Xillia 1. Love Symphonia. Love Abyss, especially the rather non-standard cast.

I actually have Berseria but I haven't played it yet. I thought about getting Abyss on the 3DS but I thought about it for too long and the price shot way up. Sadly it's not on the 3DS eShop.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sushi is the jam, I've got a soft spot for Dragon Rolls, Volcano Rolls and Spicy Tuna, but the simple stuff like Tamago, Futomaki and Ebi always hits the spot too.

I might get some on Friday on the way home from the store, for completely unrelated reasons

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Trails of Tails

7khxv2rac7m01.png

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have Berseria but I haven't played it yet. I thought about getting Abyss on the 3DS but I thought about it for too long and the price shot way up. Sadly it's not on the 3DS eShop.

Abyss is real cool. I think if you like Symphonia and Vesperia you'll probably like Abyss. Some people are turned off by the main character but I think he is real interesting and different for a MC.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I also have Berseria on PS4 but only managed to play 20 hours of it. Long ass games like these have no business being on home consoles.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Me when some people thought Namco would make an exclusive Tales game.

Arise not being on Switch should give you a good idea of how Namco feels about making Switch games from their internal studios. You just have to accept the fact that certain games won't be on the Switch even if they make sense, unfortunately. Thank god that Japanese developers have been opening up to PC releases.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
giphy.gif

Me when some people thought Namco would make an exclusive Tales game.

Arise not being on Switch should give you a good idea of how Namco feels about making Switch games from their internal studios. You just have to accept the fact that certain games won't be on the Switch even if they make sense, unfortunately. Thank god that Japanese developers have been opening up to PC releases.
I agree Bandai Namco on the Switch has been weird, I'd say they were more consistent developing for the Vita which is surreal to say, but Arise looks kind of heavy visually and is an action game, maybe the Switch just can't run it?

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Abyss is real cool. I think if you like Symphonia and Vesperia you'll probably like Abyss. Some people are turned off by the main character but I think he is real interesting and different for a MC.
Funnily enough, this same statement can be made about Berseria :P. For both Abyss and Berseria, the MC is initially pretty off-putting and unlikeable (for very different reasons) but grow to become really good over time. Berseria as a whole is like that, initially I was lukewarm on it but by the end the characters and plot really worked for me.

Overall, I'm with Gravijah, I've at least liked almost every tales game I've played, which is Symphonia (used to be my favorite game ever), Abyss, Legendia, Vesperia, Xillia 1 (I love this game too), Zestiria, and Berseria (that's... a lot of games, now that I look at it, and I'm still missing several). The ones that I liked less than others were Vesperia (mostly due to the plot, otherwise it's pretty good) and Legendia (I didn't like the 2D/more fighting-game style combat) but IMO by far the worst one I've played is Zestiria. It suffers the most from growing pains of moving to the PS4, bland environments, bland characters, just... very boring and forgettable on the whole.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, Bamco seems to release the switch version ports waaay later like Kakarot

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
From what I understand, Bamco seems to release the switch version ports waaay later like Kakarot
For what I can tell if a game is really simple visually they will release on the Switch the same day as the other versions, but if they are at least somewhat complex visually they can:
A)Never released it despite the console maybe being able to run it like Code Vein
B)Come some months later like Fighterz or Gode Eater 3, or waaaaay later like with Jump Force, Ni No Kuni 2 or Kakarot, and unlike most Switch versions they are not announced at first or even a couple of months after the game release for some reason like Square Enix, Koei Tecmo, or Bethesda typically do with their Switch ports. The forbidden company that owns Crash Bandicoot also has have this issue but they never have taken thaaaat much time to develop a Switch port like Bandai Namco.

The only cases where this didn't happen were with the Boku no Hero games oddly enough and also Pirate Warriors 4, maybe because KT was involved in that one.
At least most of their Switch ports so far have been good.

Last edited:

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Also reminder that Samurai Shodown is on Switch, but KOF 15 hasn't been announced for Switch. Oh well, Imma pick that game up on PC because it does look great.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

I have a love-hate relationship with Xillia 2. I love a lot about it,
but the way the story treats other worlds pisses me off. The other worlds disappearing, with real sentient people, just feels like an afterthought. The way the other Milla is used only for "original Milla" to return really sucks. Basically, everything involving the original cast kind of sucks, and the new stuff is generally great.
Quoting you again because it's pretty rare to find another Xillia 1 fan, woo! One of my favorites in the series. I think it really hits a good sweet spot in the combat, the characters are good and have good variety (for once the "old man" character is actually, you know, an old man instead of the "35 year old guy is SO old" trope), I love the villain, and it has one of the best soundtracks in the series
I love how each "world" has its own musical style to it: The traditional section of the world has traditional Tales music, the eastern part of the world has music based on various Asian musical styles, and the "other" industrial world is jazz. Great stuff.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
But yeah, I think Bandai Namco support on the Switch should be at the level of Square Enix and Koei Tecmo, or at least Sega, having most of their games that aren't too visually intensive day one on Siwtch, or at least close to release date, but instead it's either having the game close to a year late or laughably late and never announce the Switch version at first, it's very weird and for the record, they rarely released their ports for the PS Vita later than the other verions, so I wonder what happened here.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
fuck I let time get away from me again

I've gotta go to bed soon but survey results are coming I swear

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
But yeah, I think Bandai Namco support on the Switch should be at the level of Square Enix and Koei Tecmo, or at least Sega, having most of their games that aren't too visually intensive day one on Siwtch, or at least close to release date, but instead it's either having the game close to a year late or laughably late and never announce the Switch version at first, it's very weird and for the record, they rarely released their ports for the PS Vita later than the other verions, so I wonder what happened here.
Harada blacklisted the switch thanks to Smash fans.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
*opens up cardboard box buried in the back of my closet, pulls out a PatternPoliceTM badge, dusts it off and pins it to my chest*

Looking back at it, the February Direct was announced on Tuesday February 16th at 7AM and then aired Wednesday February 17th at 5PM. So, if things hold true for this one, the earliest possible likely announcement time would be this coming Tuesday, August 31st at 7AM to air the following afternoon. Or pretty close to that, I'm not certain on the exact times.

(I'm still leaning on the 8th, though)

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
who could have guessed another Pokéclone would be announced RIGHT AFTER I announced my plans for a Pokéclone in this thread? smh my damn h head

they totally ripped me off
except they didn't
I'm in a similar boat in that I've been formulating some ideas in my head for an Ace Attorney clone with a fantasy setting since last year, and then someone had to go and announce an indiegogo campaign for an Ace Attorney clone with a fantasy setting.

Actually turning those ideas into a game is probably a pipedream, though. I dunno why my brain comes up with ideas for a visual novel when I fucking hate writing essays, lmao. I guess scriptwriting isn't exactly the same thing, but eh.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a shame that MS doesn't seem keen on more switch games. Psychonauts 2 looks to be very scalable and looks good even at 360p. just goes to show you that TAA is a detriment to IQ at low resolutions

OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
it's a shame that MS doesn't seem keen on more switch games. Psychonauts 2 looks to be very scalable and looks good even at 360p. just goes to show you that TAA is a detriment to IQ at low resolutions

It'll come to Switch eventually. It's already on PS4, so it's not like it's exclusive. And Quake is a Microsoft game and that just came to Switch.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
LMFAO no joke I went through this debate in my head as posting

my planned response if prompted is that I was only alerting the boys, assuming the women and non-binary people to be disinterested
not to broadly generalize since I am once again not a monolith, but assuming women and non-binary people aren't interested in sushi is a fatal mistake

my experience has been that 99% of the women + non-binary people I hang out with are into sushi and the canon men I know are a 60/40 split, away team

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Quoting you again because it's pretty rare to find another Xillia 1 fan, woo! One of my favorites in the series. I think it really hits a good sweet spot in the combat, the characters are good and have good variety (for once the "old man" character is actually, you know, an old man instead of the "35 year old guy is SO old" trope), I love the villain, and it has one of the best soundtracks in the series
I love how each "world" has its own musical style to it: The traditional section of the world has traditional Tales music, the eastern part of the world has music based on various Asian musical styles, and the "other" industrial world is jazz. Great stuff.
Fudge the wishy washy Alvin stuff though. Agreed on Rowan. Awesome character.

Sadist's List of Tales stuff

Tales of Symphonia = Tales of Vesperia > Berseria > Xillia and Xillia 2 > Abyss > Dawn of the New World > > > almost no Tales on Switch > > > Zesteria

Status
Not open for further replies.