• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, in terms of Arise, I'd assume NB are hoping for 2M or so. While the niche floor has risen, they're still niche games, and these kinds of Japanese games, even really large RPGs, usually sell under 1M. There are more exceptions nowadays but that's not the norm.

In the long term I'd be surprised if they only wanted a bit of growth from Zestiria and Berseria.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any recent examples of really large JRPGs not selling 1m ?

I'm thinking throughout history mostly, but I don't know how many really large RPGs we even get nowadays. Atelier Ryza isn't too big but it got a push into a popularity reserved for older RPGs that were relatively popular. I don't think the individual Atelier games have hit 1M, Ryza included, though. Most of what we've gotten lately are pretty AAA.

Did we ever actually get BD2 numbers? Did that sell over 1M?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking throughout history mostly, but I don't know how many really large RPGs we even get nowadays. Atelier Ryza isn't too big but it got a push into a popularity reserved for older RPGs that were relatively popular. I don't think the individual Atelier games have hit 1M, Ryza included, though. Most of what we've gotten lately are pretty AAA.

Did we ever actually get BD2 numbers? Did that sell over 1M?

Ryza 1&2 hit a million. BD2 is currently >600k at a minimum but likely under a million.

I think Tales of Arise is quite obviously bigger than both of those though, and getting a bigger push.

I hope tales of arise sells well so they can make a switch port eventually

That's not happening either way.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bamco took notes from SEGA. They'll put the next (outsourced and developed over three years) remaster on Switch for the children that will eventually graduate to home consoles.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah if Bamco really liked late ass ports they would have brought over Graces, Xillia, Zesteria or Berseria I imagine.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Are you certain? The damn thing is gorgeous.
It is indeed but that doesn't mean it can't be down ported. It is a traditional Tales game after all. I trust Engine, Namco's go-to Port studio.

The only BN Studios game that have come to Switch have been the ones they developed for Nintendo. Even Taiko was outsourced when it came to the Switch game.
I don't think that means anything at all. "Namco's in house studios don't want to bring their games to Switch" sounds like a silly conspiracy theory. According to Imran they did try to bring Tekken 7 to Switch but technical hurdles stopped that from happening. They'll continue to bring whatever they can. If they find a way to bring Arise to Switch, they'll do that. But it's gonna be a little late.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is indeed but that doesn't mean it can't be down ported. It is a traditional Tales game after all. I trust Engine, Namco's go-to Port studio.

I don't think that means anything at all. "Namco's in house studios don't want to bring their games to Switch" sounds like a silly conspiracy theory. According to Imran they did try to bring Tekken 7 to Switch but technical hurdles stopped that from happening. They'll continue to bring whatever they can. If they find a way to bring Arise to Switch, they'll do that. But it's Gina be a little late.

I think you have misplaced faith in them.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Laptop/desktop+Switch is going to be the old and busted combo soon. Steamdeck+Switch will be the true combo.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
BN not porting their internally developed game to the Switch isn't a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.
I mean, there aren't a lot of internally developed Namco games out there, just Code Vein, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6, Tales of Arise and Scarlet Nexus in the last 4 years. All targeted high end consoles and we know that they tried to bring Tekken 7 at some point.

Let's just assume the development of thpse games started before Switch is out and wait for future announcements regarding them. They definitely will have more Switch games in the future, I don't think Switch will be in a healthy state even Namco abadons it.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, there aren't a lot of internally developed Namco games out there, just Code Vein, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6, Tales of Arise and Scarlet Nexus in the last 4 years. All targeted high end consoles and we know that they tried to bring Tekken 7 at some point.

Let's just assume the development of thpse games started before Switch is out and wait for future announcements regarding them. They definitely will have more Switch games in the future, I don't think Switch will be in a healthy state even Namco abadons it.

Don't forget Ace Combat 7.

The point was really that you got 6 major releases and none of them were ported. That's 6 data points versus zero. Of course they will have more Switch games in the future. Someone has to work on Pokken 2.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
Holy shit! I just reached the final trial in the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy. Binged the second investigation. I'm really fucking creeped out now. If I didn't have to be on form tomorrow, I'd binge the trial too. But how am I even supposed to get any sleep? I'm going to have nightmares about this fucked up situation.

Capcom have managed to make hippies creepy!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
thread, how do we stop this menace?
maxresdefault.jpg

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Geez, you know what game I totally forgot about…

Advance Wars 1 + 2 Re-Boot Camp

I'm guessing it gets a lot of spot light in the September Direct (not as much as Dread), but it'll get its moment in the spotlight for the December release.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget Ace Combat 7.

The point was really that you got 6 major releases and none of them were ported. That's 6 data points versus zero. Of course they will have more Switch games in the future. Someone has to work on Pokken 2.
It's not "they didn't port", it's "they couldn't". They at least tried. That's why I'm saying we should assume it's the older titles they had problems with. It's possible that they figured out how to port demanding games to Switch in that time. I do feel we'll get Arise and Nexus ports... in 2023.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
who could have guessed another Pokéclone would be announced RIGHT AFTER I announced my plans for a Pokéclone in this thread? smh my damn h head

they totally ripped me off
except they didn't

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not "they didn't port", it's "they couldn't". They at least tried. That's why I'm saying we should assume it's the older titles they had problems with. It's possible that they figured out how to port demanding games to Switch in that time. I do feel we'll get Arise and Nexus ports... in 2023.
Bamco ain't that technically proficient

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
this is what they mean when they talk about gaming being a boys club

smh my damn head

invite the rest of us for sushi too you coward!!

i am 100% joking you are not a coward and I appreciate you very much, please enjoy yr sush
LMFAO no joke I went through this debate in my head as posting

my planned response if prompted is that I was only alerting the boys, assuming the women and non-binary people to be disinterested

Status
Not open for further replies.