• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Is there a particular reason 3 million is the number for Dread to be successful? IIRC the original Prime did 2 million on the Cube, so 3M seems to be low-balling it a bit if it's good.
Prime did 2.8M, so people round the figure up to 3M. Dread would need to sell that much to become the best-selling Metroid game, but realistically it needs to sell way less to be considered a success.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
2 million would be a success for Metroid.

Nintendo's expectations aren't high to begin with I mean look at Animal Crossing sales expectations from them.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Dread's topping pre order charts, and old games are seeing good performance on virtual console charts. To me that signals old fans as well as people trying to get into the series are excited for it.

I mean you can argue that there aren't a lot of people buying VC games now anyway but still, nothings indicating the game will perform badly.

Every metric we have is showing that it'll have a great performance for what it is I think.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Prime did 2.8M, so people round the figure up to 3M. Dread would need to sell that much to become the best-selling Metroid game, but realistically it needs to sell way less to be considered a success.
OK, that makes more sense. I always thought Prime only did 2 million flat, but it being pretty close to 3 makes more sense. I think it will all boil down to how good Dread actually is on launch. If it's similar in quality to Samus Returns, I suppose 2-4 million would be the ballpark. The better it is, the more likely I'll say around 5 million or so.

Aug 12, 2019
God I really hope Splatoon 3 finally decides its time to ditch a lot of the dumb shit Splatoon has embraced and recognizes how to be a modern multiplayer game with options. I gave Splatoon a lot of credit and excused a lot of things as Nintendo's first kind of properly big online shooter game, but the series has had 6-7 years of a honey moon period and I'm past excusing dumb things like how hard it makes playing with friends, bad choices for map rotations, not saving progress and rank server side, limiting Salmon Run to every other day for some dumb reason, etc.

Splatoon 3 needs to actually evolve the series into something that isn't held back by a myriad of Nintendo-isms for me to be excited.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's 2 conversations there: what Nintendo deems as a success and what's the potential of Metroid. Of course Nintendo will deem Metroid as a success at a lower number (probably around 2 million). The potential is higher as far as I'm concerned.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will always make Metroid games, even if that's years or decades apart. I don't think it really matters too much what it sells. The idea that 2D Metroid rests on Dread is silly, to me.

Also I doubt Dread specifically is a game that needs to sell very much to be considered a success.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally all my big wants re:Splatoon 3 are much more big picture stuff.

I really need to see what the game is going to do beyond just adding new maps/QoL features/new story campaign/etc. Splatoon 2 already felt like a heavily upgraded port in a lot of aspects and getting Splatoon 3 on the very same system four years after Octo Expansion really has me wanting them to bring the thunder. I've said this a lot of times before, but the fact that it's still branding itself as a numbered sequel when most Nintendo games don't do that anymore gives a sense of "this is what it's all been building up to".

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I just want an expanded Salmon Run, it's the only mode I really like in either game. And I really, really like it.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I really dislike in XBCDE is the tiny, tiny, tiny UI. I don't know why they made it so small. I hate tiny UIs.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
OK, that makes more sense. I always thought Prime only did 2 million flat, but it being pretty close to 3 makes more sense. I think it will all boil down to how good Dread actually is on launch. If it's similar in quality to Samus Returns, I suppose 2-4 million would be the ballpark. The better it is, the more likely I'll say around 5 million or so.
Yeah, my optimistic prediction is 3.5M. If it does even better, I'm opening the champagne.

God I really hope Splatoon 3 finally decides its time to ditch a lot of the dumb shit Splatoon has embraced and recognizes how to be a modern multiplayer game with options. I gave Splatoon a lot of credit and excused a lot of things as Nintendo's first kind of properly big online shooter game, but the series has had 6-7 years of a honey moon period and I'm past excusing dumb things like how hard it makes playing with friends, bad choices for map rotations, not saving progress and rank server side, limiting Salmon Run to every other day for some dumb reason, etc.

Splatoon 3 needs to actually evolve the series into something that isn't held back by a myriad of Nintendo-isms for me to be excited.
Number one item for me is a slightly higer tickrate, at least on par with Splatoon 1. The vast majority of double-kills in 2 feel janky and unfair

Ibrahim

Feb 1, 2020
You can see the diffrence in the marketing campaign between Dread and Samus returns. Samus Returns has been announced in the Treehouse at the end of the 3DS life. It didn't include in the direct that year were most of the hype was on Metroid Prime 4. While Dread was the highlight of the Direct and it will be released with a new Hardware

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they go the Halo way with Prime 4 and release Metroid Prime Online some time after Prime 4 release. A good Metroid Prime online game would be amazing imo

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized the bad thing about change to playable characters in WarioWare switch

There's no way a dance off can be the final boss stage this time :(

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
We should have an avatar bet on Dread sales because I'm confident it will be well on its way to be the best selling Metroid by the end of its first quarter and I want to see you exposed in shame.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The other way to make Metroid more talked about that people here probably disagree with is more time seeing Samus' face.

That doesn't mean it has to be sexualized, doesn't mean it has to be talky and character assassination like Other M, but showing the woman behind the suit would make her stand out as a strong female protagonist more. Makes it more relatable and approachable.

More key art of Samus in the suit but with her helmet off etc. A new hairstyle, something that promotes fan art. Idk I think it would help but it's hard to talk about suitless Samus without the discussion immediately going to sexualization on here though.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Is it too early to drop OT27 title suggestions because I got one:

Nintendo General Discussion |OT27| The Hunt for Dread October

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
The only thing I really dislike in XBCDE is the tiny, tiny, tiny UI. I don't know why they made it so small. I hate tiny UIs.
Was it really small? I don't remember that, but it's been a bit since I played it. It could be that after playing XCX it seemed big, that game has the tiniest most illegible UI I've ever seen

YES

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

0001.gif

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
$10 for DLC that will likely give me hours of content. I'm not sure. I'll have to think about it.
$10 were of donuts and a big bottle of ice tea at Wawa. Here's my money without hesitation.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
good things are often unpopular, and bad things popular

see metroid and pokemon
And Xenoblade and Splatoon.
radical take: all of these series' are good and all of the games in these series' are good*

and even if you'd like them to have further reach, they're all pretty popular at the end of the day

so like why pit them against each other?

*I will NOT stop yelling about the things that really truly bother me about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but I mean enough people like it in a vacuum for me to assume it must be, in some ways, a good game. FIGHT IN THE TINY TEXT LET'S GOOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.