• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think there will be a Switch Pro before the next Nintendo console?

• Yes, we will get the equivalent of a New 3DS.

Votes: 292 28.8%
  • No, the OLED was the final Nintendo Switch revision before Switch 2.

Votes: 519 51.2%
  • Why does everybody care what I think on this subject? We're all in the dark

Votes: 202 19.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
check out the first letter in each paragraph in the op
8x44a3B.gif

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
man, the switch is gonna be old by the time it's replaced or upgraded huh

assuming fall 2023 for the super/succ, it'll be a 6 and a half year old mobile device

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The secret message in the first post is the best twist since Metroid happen.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see a cut that's acceptable to all parties though. Nintendo provides very little to xbox in that situation while xbox provides direct competition to nintendo's marketplace
I really don't think they would, though. Not any more than any other third party software is competition for Nintendo.

Let's remove the console wars angle from it. Let's say Ubisoft was really interested in increasing their subscription revenue (they are), and they said to Nintendo that they would keep making Just Dance games for Switch and even start bringing over Assassin's Creed and Far Cry games, but only if they could be made available as part of a multi-game Ubisoft+ subscription, because that's what they're trying to move their customers towards. They would still be available on the eShop for purchase, but users would also have the ability to purchase a subscription through the eShop that would give them access to all the Ubisoft games. Either way, Nintendo would get a cut – a cut of the purchase price if someone buys the game, and a cut of the recurring subscription revenue of someone chooses to get "Ubisoft+ for Nintendo Switch."

Is that Ubisoft opening up a competing marketplace to Nintendo? Not really. That's basically what I think Game Pass on Switch would look like. It would just be Microsoft's version of a subscription service that provided access to all of their Switch games.

I think subscriptions in the eShop are inevitable. Basically every major publisher that isn't Nintendo sees that as the way things are going and wants that to be the preferred way to get their games. Ubisoft has even started tacking "A Ubisoft Original" into the logos of all of their games, as if they're a streaming TV service. All of these companies are going to want Nintendo to support subscriptions, and I don't think Nintendo is likely to resist because the reason all these companies like subscriptions is because they're reliable recurring revenue, and that means reliable recurring revenue for Nintendo as well.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what's a good compact CRT TV/monitor for classic gaming i.e. anything before the HD era. I've been thinking of replaying some Wii and Gamecube games but they look like ass on a 4K tv.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I really don't think they would, though. Not any more than any other third party software is competition for Nintendo.

Let's remove the console wars angle from it. Let's say Ubisoft was really interested in increasing their subscription revenue (they are), and they said to Nintendo that they would keep making Just Dance games for Switch and even start bringing over Assassin's Creed and Far Cry games, but only if they could be made available as part of a multi-game Ubisoft+ subscription, because that's what they're trying to move their customers towards. They would still be available on the eShop for purchase, but users would also have the ability to purchase a subscription through the eShop that would give them access to all the Ubisoft games. Either way, Nintendo would get a cut – a cut of the purchase price if someone buys the game, and a cut of the recurring subscription revenue of someone chooses to get "Ubisoft+ for Nintendo Switch."

Is that Ubisoft opening up a competing marketplace to Nintendo? Not really. That's basically what I think Game Pass on Switch would look like. It would just be Microsoft's version of a subscription service that provided access to all of their Switch games.

I think subscriptions in the eShop are inevitable. Basically every major publisher that isn't Nintendo sees that as the way things are going and wants that to be the preferred way to get their games. Ubisoft has even started tacking "A Ubisoft Original" into the logos of all of their games, as if they're a streaming TV service. All of these companies are going to want Nintendo to support subscriptions, and I don't think Nintendo is likely to resist because the reason all these companies like subscriptions is because they're reliable recurring revenue, and that means reliable recurring revenue for Nintendo as well.
if the infrastructure is there for partners to sell subscriptions through the eshop I guess I could see it

but who would buy xcloud for switch in addition to xcloud for literally everything else including your phone and desktop? if it's streaming the hybrid model is useless, as you can play it anywhere already

despite all the cloud games we've seen already, in the long term streaming is a harsh competitor to the switch. once internet infrastructure catches up the switch will be useless

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
if the infrastructure is there for partners to sell subscriptions through the eshop I guess I could see it

but who would buy xcloud for switch in addition to xcloud for literally everything else including your phone and desktop? if it's streaming the hybrid model is useless, as you can play it anywhere already
I actually think it's more likely to be not streaming, at least initially.

They have a lot of things they could port to the Switch that would see a good ROI, even without subscriptions. But of course subscriber growth is pretty much the whole Xbox division's reason for being right now. I think Microsoft really wants that number to keep going up and I don't think they're going to ignore a hundred million Switches. And if anything, I think Nintendo would maybe view a subscription as less direct competition for their own games than Bethesda selling Skyrim as a boxed product for $60 is.

There's things they'd have to work out, to be sure, but when there's a bunch of money to be made, those things sort of have a way of working out. And I think both parties realize that there's a bunch of potential money to be made in getting Halo, Fallout, Oblivion, Banjo-Kazooie, Dishonored, Psychonauts etc. etc. on Switch.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a song stuck in my head I can't figure out that samples the bass melody from Push The Feeling On from 0:08 to 0:23, and I know it was fairly popular in the late 00s/early 2010s, but everytime I look it up on WhoSampled and elsewhere I keep getting Pitbull's Hotel Room Service like my own hellish Rickroll.

It's especially infuriating because it's just similar enough from the end credits of the latest season of RuPaul's All Stars 6 but I honest to god have no idea what song it is.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I've convinced myself pretty quickly to skip the OLED for now, because I think there's a significant chance a more powerful revision and or successor follows within 18 months of the OLED launching.

Plus, I'm taking a holiday in October, I've spent a fortune this month (Ys IX, No More Heroes 3 Collector's Edition, Silver Case 2425 physical copy, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Skyward Sword HD, Zelda joy-cons), and I've got software purchases planned until the end of the year.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
I've had a song stuck in my head I can't figure out that samples the bass melody from Push The Feeling On from 0:08 to 0:23, and I know it was fairly popular in the late 00s/early 2010s, but everytime I look it up on WhoSampled and elsewhere I keep getting Pitbull's Hotel Room Service like my own hellish Rickroll.

It's especially infuriating because it's just similar enough from the end credits of the latest season of RuPaul's All Stars 6 but I honest to god have no idea what song it is.
Is it this?

EDIT: Here's the original.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
BLESS YOU.

HOLY SHIT, I feel such sweet relief. It's been looping for what feels like a month in my mind
Glad to help! I figured which song you were talking about pretty quickly, but actually remembering what it's called or who it's by was another thing. My fiancee dead-ass googled "do do-do do do do do do do do do" lol

(That did not work, we eventually remembered the lyric "show me love")

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to help! I figured which song you were talking about pretty quickly, but actually remembering what it's called or who it's by was another thing. My fiancee dead-ass googled "do do-do do do do do do do do do" lol

(That did not work, we eventually remembered the lyric "show me love")

Well, thank you and thank your fiancee for me 😋 At one point I damn near gave up and assumed it was Kiesza's "Hideaway" and I was just going insane, but man I did not expect Show Me Love to be from 1992. Truly is a timeless classic

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Too late.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Hey fellow Nintendo fans! I'm a new member here and I'm looking forward joining the conversation.

Very true. It's so tempting! One of these days I'll be unable to resist I think, haha.

Welcome, and don't forget you're here forever! As part of initiation, what is your favourite Springsteen song that's not the title track from his first 8 albums?

Nevertheless appreciated, and at this point I'm more than happy to listen to the song on repeat ahaha

KilgoreWolfe

Apr 13, 2021
Our AC has been slowly dying which culminated in the house being 91F yesterday. It's so hot I couldn't even bring myself to play video games. Anybody have a Switch game that makes them feel cooler? Or any game, really. I'm melting here.

(The AC is getting looked at today, so hopefully this will end soon.)

Jul 7, 2021
Welcome! We are generally a nice and amenable bunch! On an unrelated note, please do not read back previous pages from today. No particular reason. Thanks!
Hello! Welcome to the best thread on Era :)

Thank you very much! From what I've seen in the past this is a passionate community. Being a passionate fan myself I hope to fit right in!

There are so many titles I'm (still) looking forward to this year, unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.