• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto is too busy working on Starfox Zero Deluxe.

Now with newly designed innovative controls like using the IR camera to fly the Arwing by making gestures with your tongue.

DO A BARREL ROLL

YeUa6KF.jpg

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
What do y'all want in botw2?

- Crafting system that uses raw materials (wood, ores, textiles) to create weapons, shields, bows, armor... and traversal tools. Anything you've found, you can craft, and you can modify crafting recipes to customize pretty much any item. Want your favorite sword to add fire damage? Want to make a lighter-weight version of your heavy armor? Want to make electric bombs?

- Don't give the player "unlimited" versions of every tool from the start. Instead, have the player scavenge for stuff like bombs, hookshots, water-freezing spells, etc., and make all of them consumable/breakable at the start (and craftable once you find them once). Put the "unlimited" versions in dungeons: unbreakable hookshot, magic bombs, a rechargeable ice spell. This preserves the "go potentially anywhere at anytime" spirit of the original, while also challenging players to take on obstacles with a more limited toolset in the early parts of the game. (Yes, this means leaning into the durability stuff...but over time replacing your breakable equipment with permanent gear.)

- Use Hyrule Castle as the template for dungeons. Big, dangerous, open-world space. Multiple entrances and routes depending on the traversal items you use - and this interplays with the limited use items you get at the start by potentially driving you to a different path depending on what items you have on hand.

- More enemy variety. Especially in different regions. I don't mind seeing Bokoblins, Lizalfos, and Moblins occasionally everywhere. But I wanna see each region have its own foot soldier style enemy in the overworld. And Zelda has tons of options to choose from.

- Each dungeon has a set of totally unique, tougher enemies you won't find anywhere else...until you beat the dungeon. Then they start popping up in the overworld.

- Lean in hard to overworld bosses. Have at least 10-12 completely unique bosses, plus variants with twists on the base boss (like the variants we saw in Age of Calamity). Make them roam around an area rather than just spawning in one place. Basically, I want Monster Hunter players to be able to get their fix from BotW2.

- Bring back the shrine concept, but with more variety in terms of the internal aesthetics, to match the regions they're in. I love the "I see a glowing thing in the distance" gameplay loop of discovering a shrine, and I think it needs to stay in any game explicitly tied to BotW.

- Subterranean and underwater exploration. Basically, have a bunch of underground mini-dungeons that you discover organically, in addition to the signposted shrines. And the underwater stuff would replace using Magnesis/Cryonis to get stuff in the water...though occasionally you'd also find underwater caves and tunnels leading to a mini-dungeon. (These would all be relatively signposted - for example, if there's a fortress that's completely sealed, you might be able to get in through a drainage tunnel in the moat.)

- Do the Dark Souls/Monster Hunter thing of having basic melee attacks/blocks consume stamina. Make it very light consumption at first that ramps up as you extend a combo by continuing to chain attacks. Basically, I want combo attacks to be less broken, and I want a visible indicator that my combo is about to end or my guard is close to being broken.

- Add optional difficulty toggles. I want a "risky eater" mode where I can't consume meals directly from the pause menu while an enemy is aggroed. Maybe tack on the stamina thing as an optional toggle as well.

Last edited:

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
I think that these threads need rolling threadmarks to allow someone like me to better follow the speculated release schedule.
Problem is there's usually nothing here. Most of this thread is lists and discussion about which Mario they like and that sort of thing. We've not had real leaks that were worth following in months.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
This is my fear yes. Any BotW2 news will cut both Skyward Sword's legs clean off, and they're not going to announce the Pro until two months out either, so I wouldn't expect any real BotW2 news until August/September. A very short hype cycle before the big holidays release (it doesn't need a long hype cycle anyway, let's be honest. "BotW2 om Switch Pro this holiday" is enough to outsell PS5 and XBX).

This definitely isn't true - If anything, BotW2 news would bolster Skyward Sword's sales that much more, and there'd be many ways to sort of "co-market" both (take a look at the origin story//there are ways it ties in//etc).

I feel like a lot of people misunderstand "cannibalization" and in which situations it applies. 2 very separate Zelda games releasing at least 4-6 months apart won't do that.

LokiGS

Jan 28, 2020
Is it worth giving Mario 35 a go before it disappears? Feels like the sort of thing I would play for an hour or two and move on.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
- Don't give the player "unlimited" versions of every tool from the start. Instead, have the player scavenge for stuff like bombs, hookshots, water-freezing spells, etc., and make all of them consumable/breakable at the start (and craftable once you find them once). Put the "unlimited" versions in dungeons: unbreakable hookshot, magic bombs, a rechargeable ice spell. This preserves the "go potentially anywhere at anytime" spirit of the original, while also challenging players to take on obstacles with a more limited toolset in the early parts of the game. (Yes, this means leaning into the durability stuff...but over time replacing your breakable equipment with permanent gear.)
I love the crafting idea! Though maybe the unlimited version of stuff should have limitations otherwise it'd incentivise people to just hard rush those dungeons.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I love the crafting idea! Though maybe the unlimited version of stuff should have limitations otherwise it'd incentivise people to just hard rush those dungeons.
That's fine, though? Let them do it if they want to. The upgrade path/item locations are not necessarily gonna be obvious to a player on their first run.

I just want a bit of the old Zelda 1 "sure, you can go to that dungeon first; good luck tho!" feeling back.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This definitely isn't true - If anything, BotW2 news would bolster Skyward Sword's sales that much more, and there'd be many ways to sort of "co-market" both (take a look at the origin story//there are ways it ties in//etc).

I feel like a lot of people misunderstand "cannibalization" and in which situations it applies. 2 very separate Zelda games releasing at least 4-6 months apart won't do that.
That would be four months at most, and although it's a bit early, it seems like Nintendo might not agree with you, since Aonuma quite clearly fridged talk about BotW2 to focus on SSHD.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
That would be four months at most, and although it's a bit early, it seems like Nintendo might not agree with you, since Aonuma quite clearly fridged talk about BotW2 to focus on SSHD.

Seems like Aonuma revealed SSHD to keep Zelda fans satisfied for a while, since most likely they're planning to say more about BOTW2 later, in a Zelda Direct, a June Direct or a Switch Pro Presentation. It's not exactly that they're avoiding to talk about BOTW2 just to give SSHD its spotlight, the game is most likely being prepared for a Pro reveal.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to get back to Ring Fit Adventure again today, after like a 6 month break. It is not any less brutal, whooo boy.

I really want them to somehow put in ringcon modes into other games though, BOTW with the ringcon would be a whole new ball game.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So I decided to get back to Ring Fit Adventure again today, after like a 6 month break. It is not any less brutal, whooo boy.

I really want them to somehow put in ringcon modes into other games though, BOTW with the ringcon would be a whole new ball game.

The Legend of Zelda - Out of the Breath

Headline on the back of the case: "And you thought Link was already running out of stamina pretty fast!"

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Seems like Aonuma revealed SSHD to keep Zelda fans satisfied for a while, since most likely they're planning to say more about BOTW2 later, in a Zelda Direct, a June Direct or a Switch Pro Presentation. It's not exactly that they're avoiding to talk about BOTW2 just to give SSHD its spotlight, the game is most likely being prepared for a Pro reveal.
I wonder how many Zelda fans are satisfied with SSHD 😁, I think it's aimed more at people who started Zelda with BotW, and that's why I say BotW2 news would cut off its legs. But fair point. Maybe the new BotW2 looks so good now that it immediately proves the existence of the Pro and they want to keep that under wraps as long as possible.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020

for me:
-more varied world content (the shrines and enemy camps got boring)
-more dangerous weather conditions
-give link a motherfucking gun

More dungeons (?) that play like the divine beasts. I like the shrines a lot but I do like larger dungeons.

I also want an entirely new map.

Is it worth giving Mario 35 a go before it disappears? Feels like the sort of thing I would play for an hour or two and move on.
It's a lot of fun but it didn't stick with me the way Tetris 99 did. Give it a go, though, it's free and you've only got 2 weeks to do it (?).

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
I want so, so much from BotW2. I suppose I could elaborate further, but this is some immediate ideas:

Recently an idea I've had is character-specific sidequests a lá Rockstar games. Have a character, like a more prominent NPC, have they own substory that stands over several evolving quests. Complete, say, Harvey's quest for finding his lost children, and when that's done, some time passes. Then a new quest pops up after a while about Harvey's lost children needing medical care. Etc. Then it all comes around in a touching conclusion with a neat reward.

Instead of having a sterile menu with sidequests, have some sort of bombers notebook-esque journal to keep them in.

I've also wondered that instead of shrines giving us hearts and stamina, I wonder if Nintendo would grace BotW2 with their interpretation of a skill tree.

if the power up arm is real, have Link gather spirit energy from parts of the world and choosing to boost either hearts, stamina, attack power, defense power, or the abilities of the arm, but with some kind of ingenious twist that puts the concept on it's head. Nintendo has a knack of providing cool new ideas to old concepts, and I could see them do that with a skill tree.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Has Nintendo ever fixed the d-pad on the pro controller? more and more I'm seeing the issue where I'll press left or right and it goes in a different direction. My pro controller I got at switch launch.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey a new thread!

Hope everyone has a good week!

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a longshot, but does anyone have an extra code from a previous month's newsletter for the Mario missions? Also does anyone know roughly when the monthly newsletter goes out?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

Mine broke and then I've had several bouts of illness so I'm up to a 5 month break now. Planned to get back on with it this month, only to be ill again and my doctors still haven't got to the bottom of it (though thankfully we did establish I don't have lupus).

Hoping I'll have enough energy to get it back into my routine because I'm sure it'll do me good.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Not only he is a great reporter but he also has great taste in games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Mine broke and then I've had several bouts of illness so I'm up to a 5 month break now. Planned to get back on with it this month, only to be ill again and my doctors still haven't got to the bottom of it (though thankfully we did establish I don't have lupus).

Hoping I'll have enough energy to get it back into my routine because I'm sure it'll do me good.

Oy, I hope you feel better soon. It's a great exercise but yeah definitely not something to do when you're sick, it can be very intense at times.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019

for me:
New ways to explore the map. I'm intrigued by what purpose Link's new glowy arm could serve.

Playable zelda.

large explorable dungeons that are just part of the map. You start exploring and you find this random entrance and it leads you to a dungeon.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

for me:

-Some large dungeons
-More interactive characters
-musical instruments
-weather rod to control the weather (only if it is a late game item)
-playable Zelda

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Couldn't resist

Thus, the Famicom Detective Club was successful in solving the riddle about it's newest case "The one destined to die" in the curious village of ERA's Nintendo General Discussion thread.
If anyone is likely to die under mysterious circumstances it'll be me

Yeah this is not alcoholic cider. It was spiked with stool softener though, good stuff.
Of course, balances the tannins

New thread I must do my duty
𝑀𝐸𝑇𝑅𝑂𝐼𝐷

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021

for me:
-Some large dungeons
-More interactive characters
-musical instruments
-weather rod to control the weather (only if it is a late game item)
-playable Zelda

A deeper story. In my opinion, the best part of BOTW was the exploration and novelty of the open world. I know this probably won't happen, but I'd really like a more compelling story. OoT and Majora's Mask had really great stories imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.