• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What form will the first Nintendo Direct of 2021 take?

• Nintendo Direct

Votes: 247 20.0%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini

Votes: 131 10.6%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase

Votes: 269 21.7%
  • The Legend of Zelda Direct

Votes: 176 14.2%
  • Pokémon Direct

Votes: 352 28.5%
  • Mr. Sakurai Presents

Votes: 26 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 36 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That's part of the reason I'd like to see DK go that direction. We haven't seen DK do a workday explorer since DK64. It's been past time for another trial.

I really want to see this happen. Hence my disappointment when the EDP DK rumours suggested the game would be 2D.

If it's true, I'm sure it would be great but Nintendo doesn't do enough fully 3D platformers considering how good they are at making them.

Picked up Immortals: Feynx Rising in the latest sale and I'm really liking it. It's a very chill game that's easy to hop in and out of

The game gets some unnecessary hate at times but it's genuinely fun, despite how derivative it is. Going to dive back into the PS5 version myself when I'm done with Hyrule Warriors.

Not sure how far you are but the combat becomes surprisingly good as you unlock more abilities. Lots of room for neat combos.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want to try Immortals but I have too much on my plate at the moment. I'll just wait and by the time I am ready, I'm sure Ubisoft will be selling it for $10.

Yea, I have enough open world games in the backlog so I skipped out on this for now. I will probably get it next Black Friday.

Okay, but im still mad with Nintendo. Release at least more dlcs for Mario Kart 8, damn it!

It still amazes me that they stopped at 2 DLC packs. Hopefully whatever the next Mario Kart is will come very heavy with content.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
All Persona/SMT games end with the protagonist
killing some kind of God so I knew Shido wasn't the final boss.
I haven't played Royal yet, but what do you mean with "ended with Shido"? It never ended with Shido. Yaldaboth was also in the original. Or did they expand it somehow? That always felt like a very weird area of the game.

Edit: or do you mean you woul have liked it if it ended there? Prior Persona games are the same, there's always some god that pulls the strings and the human bad guy is just kind of a bigger goon.
I loved it, it was my GOTY last year.

Spoilers:
First off, the game never did end with Shido. The ending with Yaldabaoth/Satanael is exactly the same as in the vanilla version.

I actually REALLY liked Yaldabaoth, or rather I loved how the themes of the main game fit in so well with it. Shido is a better "love to hate" villain, but Yaldabaoth and the whole ending sequence really hammers home the themes of the game SO well: Basically, the main theme the game is going for is that it's the duty of all people to stand up and take personal responsibility against corruption and wrongdoing in society, and not to put faith in idols and people in power to fix everything for you; this is hammered home constantly, even from the very beginning when Joker steps in against Shido harassing the woman in the intro. So even when Shido (society's idol) was stopped, society on the whole was still so engrained in the mindset that he was going to have been the answer to all their problems that they didn't know how to process that he was evil, and they would rather ignore that and still follow him anyway (shades of Trumpism there, but I won't get into that *cough*).

So essentially, you have to enter the collective unconscious of society as a whole in order to really wake everyone up to their own duty, and in essnce the final boss is itself literally the desires of the people to give up their personal responsibility, which I think is brilliant. That and I have to applaud Atlus for basically finding a way to LITERALLY make "the power of friendship" be the way that you are able to kill the false god, it's great. And the cutscenes around when you summon Satanael are just SO damn good.

I wasn't aware that SMT games all have a Godslaying moment at some point. Persona 5 was my first SMT ever so yeah :). But good to know! Looking forward to SMT V.

No I was aware Yaldaboth was also in the original. I just liked it better with Shido being the bad guy haha. I felt it was sort of random. That said the scenes that joined it with Satanael are definitly awesome.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I have enough open world games in the backlog so I skipped out on this for now. I will probably get it next Black Friday.

It still amazes me that they stopped at 2 DLC packs. Hopefully whatever the next Mario Kart is will come very heavy with content.
After almost 30 million copies sold. The time is probably spent better elsewhere even if it would be potentially easy money.

plus could be a thing of not wanting to waste creating new things since theirs going to be a sequel eventually and just wait it out till then.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After almost 30 million copies sold. The time is probably spent better elsewhere even if it would be potentially easy money.

plus could be a thing of not wanting to waste creating new things since theirs going to be a sequel eventually and just wait it out till then.

yea the ship sailed on that years ago. Any hope of new DLC died at the end of 2017. That's ok. I'm just excited for the next one which is (hopefully) a launch window title on the next system

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys buy a Color Splash Wii U port with a Bowser's Fury like expansion that was in TTYD style 🤔

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah what people who want paid DLC for MK8D need to think about is that it's an expansion of a game + that games DLC, like when do you stop lol. I think they wanted to set this as the definitive complete MK8

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Weighing in on the discussion of "risk" when it comes to 3D World vs. Odyssey, here's how I see it:

I agree that compared to the wider video game industry, 3D World was riskier because of how it opposed the open-world paradigm that games at the time had been, and largely still are following. However, within the Nintendo bubble, it was a very familiar experience, as it had clear foundation to build off from in the form of 3D Land, and it drew from many of the mechanics we recognized from the Galaxy and NSMB games.

Odyssey on the other hand definitely skews closer to the open-world zeitgeist, but I would say that it was more of a risk relative to the Mario series' history and Nintendo's history as a developer. It's closest cousins are 64 and Sunshine, but it deviates much more from those games than 3D World did with Land. Another aspect of Odyssey that is also worth mentioning is its presentation. 3D World stuck pretty close to how we would "expect" Mario games to look and feel, but Odyssey pushed the envelope a bit more with the normal sized people and photo-realistic dinosaurs and what not.

So I guess how risky the games are really just comes down to what you're comparing them to. I'm rambling at this point lol but its an interesting discussion and I wanted to add my 2 cents.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
Would you guys buy a Color Splash Wii U port with a Bowser's Fury like expansion that was in TTYD style 🤔

Probably not even though TTYD is my favorite game. I enjoyed TOK well enough but I have pretty much emotionally detached myself from the franchise. I hope turn based Mario RPGs come back in some form but I have made peace with the fact that it won't be from the PM or M&L series any more.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that compared to the wider video game industry, 3D World was riskier because of how it opposed the open-world paradigm that games at the time had been, and largely still are following.
What...there was no "open-world paradigm" when it came to platformers. There are only a handful of 3D platformers as is and, if anything, they're usually defined by Mario games

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
If Nintendo "ported" Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and named it Animal Crossing Party, tweaking it a little bit and removing the Amiibo focus, now that AC is selling like CRAZY, would that game be a success? Like Super Mario Party level?

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Idk how a 3D DK would be. I'd be interested but there's just no telling what it would be like.

I think a 3D Yoshi could be cool, especially if they dropped the egg throwing mechanic

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be OK with a 3D Yoshi... actually made by Nintendo.

I'd also like a new 2D Yoshi... actually made by Nintendo.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
It will come when Nintendo needs a random release to plug a gap in the calendar, they've shown multiple times they'll revive weird stuff from the dead (Pikmin 3) just to have something on shelves.
Personally i'm thinking X will be like a twilight port, it'll happen nearer to the end of the Switchs life.

Agreed, until the last sentence. I think Xenoblade X port on a new hardware makes more sense, if we're expecting the successor to the Switch in 2023 or 2024. Nintendo and MS are aware there is a lot of demand for an X port. And with how the game ended, they can use that to their advantage to make a sequel on the same hardware.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Agreed, until the last sentence. I think Xenoblade X port on a new hardware makes more sense, if we're expecting the successor to the Switch in 2023 or 2024. Nintendo and MS are aware there is a lot of demand for an X port. And with how the game ended, they can use that to their advantage to make a sequel on the same hardware.
Alternatively, if Monolith decide they don't want to/aren't going to make a XBX sequel, a port could allow them to do a sort of "future connected" bit that adds on a fair amount of new content (maybe a new continent?) and gives some closure to the story, too.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Watching Max playing Hades and now I just played a good hour of Hades. Despite hitting the credits ages ago, there is so much story content left. This game is so good.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Drawing my own conclusion: given what else we've heard, Monolith Soft will at least reveal their new game in 2021 even if it doesn't release till 2022. (This may be something you've already said Nate - I'm not up to date on your podcast!)

Your conclusion is correct. 🙂

In the comments section of the latest Podcast, Nate said there will be a Monolith Soft game shown off this year. In the 2021 software podcast video, Nate predicted a new Xenoblade game either this year or next.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
If Nintendo "ported" Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and named it Animal Crossing Party, tweaking it a little bit and removing the Amiibo focus, now that AC is selling like CRAZY, would that game be a success? Like Super Mario Party level?
They should release Amiibo Festival as a free game to sell amiibo figures.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
I've been out of the loop for quite some time, and these threads are hard to keep up on haha. Any credible rumors of upcoming directs/other info that we're looking forward to?

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Your conclusion is correct. 🙂

In the comments section of the latest Podcast, Nate said there will be a Monolith Soft game shown off this year. In the 2021 software podcast video, Nate predicted a new Xenoblade game either this year or next.
Was that Spawncast 158 or Nate the Hate?

On a sidenote, i've managed to catch up with all the latest ones. Good stuff

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Watching Max playing Hades and now I just played a good hour of Hades. Despite hitting the credits ages ago, there is so much story content left. This game is so good.

I've played 65 hours, done the epilogue and there is still stuff to do.
And yeah just so much fun it is a really special game.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, if Monolith decide they don't want to/aren't going to make a XBX sequel, a port could allow them to do a sort of "future connected" bit that adds on a fair amount of new content (maybe a new continent?) and gives some closure to the story, too.

That's possible, but sure would be very disappointing if it's anything like FC. It needs a Torna sized continuation at the very least. A full-on sequel would be ideal.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
It's about eight months. I did start out with just RFA but I also did eventually do other stuff too like started sports climbing and returned to orienteering running as I had lost some of that. I didn't have much dietary change, but I did tone down some treats and alcohol.

I now do RFA three times a week 30-60 minutes at a time.

-21 kilograms

I'll keep that in mind, thank you! Doing any other physical activity right now beyond dog walking seems unlikely, but once the weather warms up and I can realistically get back to riding my bike, I think that will also help too.

Just need to now find healthy snacks for when I enjoy the occasional jazz cigarette and the munchies hit haha

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Probably not. I got the game super cheap and the main mode was just REALLY boring.

They should release Amiibo Festival as a free game to sell amiibo figures.

This could work though.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I would buy a Color Splash port full stop, even without extras. I know it has a bad reputation but I honestly loved that game.
I mean, maybe this is an unpopular opinion but the best part of Paper Mario has always been the charm and the writing. If TTYD didn't have the charm and writing of Paper Mario it probably would have been like a 7.5/10 game. Color Splash still had great writing even if it had problems and was like a 6/10 in other areas.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
the boards are small in size and in number but it has some really good side content and only a few of the minigames are poor which is more than can be said of the other couple of games in the series I've played. So it's still really enjoyable.
It also has the co-op rafting mode which is great and got a ton of play in my house. Team work makes the dream work!

Status
Not open for further replies.