• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What form will the first Nintendo Direct of 2021 take?

• Nintendo Direct

Votes: 247 20.0%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini

Votes: 131 10.6%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase

Votes: 269 21.7%
  • The Legend of Zelda Direct

Votes: 176 14.2%
  • Pokémon Direct

Votes: 352 28.5%
  • Mr. Sakurai Presents

Votes: 26 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 36 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as my favorite JRPGs of the last decade are Xenoblade 1 and 2, Persona 5, and Dragon Quest 11, and all of them took me over 100 hours... I guess I have to agree?

I haven't played DQ7, but I know it's kind of legendary for being so slow and taking forever to get going, though.

The opening is slow as hell but after that it gets going pretty quickly. You just need to be able to like the concept of vignettes enough to be able to sustain like 70% of the game.

Nov 2, 2017
Got some new medicine and haven't had a headache today. Had one about every day last week.

At least now I can try and play through age of calamity

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Not saying X won't ever come to Switch, but it is highly unlikely to come in 2021.
Drawing my own conclusion: given what else we've heard, Monolith Soft will at least reveal their new game in 2021 even if it doesn't release till 2022. (This may be something you've already said Nate - I'm not up to date on your podcast!)
Sword / Shield have a story, but I suspect a lot of people would prefer something "epic" and a large-scale adventure over what it is: a sports anime.
Are you kidding? The sports anime aspect of Sword/Shield was by far and away my favourite part of the game. That's the kind of main story I *want* from a Pokemon game. Double down on the trainers, leaders, champions, and the contest aspect of the story.
You know what JRPG is the perfect length?

The Last Story.

Remaster it cowards.
Yessss
It's actually Crimson Shroud.

7h of perfection.
banderas.png
YYYESSSSS

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I'm also someone who has no problem with longer RPGs. Hell, most of the times when I beat an RPG I'm sad that it's over. That probably comes from the fact that I play most of them on handhelds, so I tend to just plug away bit by bit, rather than long sessions.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe that Atlus released a Persona 5 sequel on the Switch before releasing the original game, despite the sequel spoiling the original. Nice job Atlus. Clap clap.

Jason Schreier implied that there's a timed exclusivity deal between Sony and Atlus. We'll hear about its eventual ports after the deal ends.

But such a stupid thing to buy exclusivity of games that you don't fund or publish. Sony is just bribing other publishers saying "Hey that this money and don't port your games to those consoles, because fuck them." MS and Nintendo don't usually "buy" exclusivity, they make the games happen by funding them.

Dec 21, 2020
It was Mario kart 9 that did it for me...
I completely omitted that lol

I believe 4 used all of the Cell or parts of it for the PS3. Even then, Konami + Kojima will not make that happen, at all.

Spicy bet;
Xenoblade will become an annual series with a new game/remake rotation.

This year will have XB3, next year is XC XDeluxe, the year after is XB4, and then finally we get the Switch 2's first entry which is XB2 REMAKE Part 1. It uses the Advent Children artstyle and takes place over the first 3 chapters of the OG game.
You had me until the remake part 1 of the first 3 chapters, the terribad chapters.... rest of the chapters were great, but 3 was like the lowest point for me lol

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Awakening Pyra and the cutscenes and battles that come after basically sold me on the entire game. I like the early XBC2 chapters quite a bit.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Jason Schreier implied that there's a timed exclusivity deal between Sony and Atlus. We'll hear about its eventual ports after the deal ends.

But such a stupid thing to buy exclusivity of games that you don't fund or publish. Sony is just bribing other publishers saying "Hey that this money and don't port your games to those consoles, because fuck them." MS and Nintendo don't usually "buy" exclusivity, they make the games happen by funding them.
If it's timed and not fully exclusive, then it's probably a five year deal. That would mean exclusivity would end this September.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I hope the next Xenoblade isn't a port of X. At least give us an original adventure (X2 lol) before porting another game.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's like me choosing to only catch Pokémon of their respective generation, typing be damned. There's literally no reason to do so unless I want to make the game more difficult for myself. Not to mention that the consequence of not picking HP in TTYD is that you just stack FP and BP, balancing things out. Unless, again, you choose to not play the game that way.

Also, that's a pretty liberal interpretation of what the word "literally" means. The game's actual literal flavour text is "Great if you lack confidence." If that's supposed to support your argument, it's pretty weak. I don't really care if you like TTYD better but don't make shit up to fit your narrative.
I'm not? If you aren't having difficulty with the game why would you say that you lack confidence? If you admit to lacking confidence to the degree of needing compensation of course it'll become easier.

And again no, the pokemon comparison isn't a good one. That's more akin to not using the star abilities or taking advantages of weaknesses in TTYD. In TTYD you're essentially setting your own difficulty. As I said before, like in Kingdom Hearts wherein critical mode doubles the damage you take. You're setting your own difficulty as the game itself puts it, so it's on you if you choose the playstyle that gives you ungodly amounts of HP. Unlike pokemon, these games explicitly tell you the parameters are what you make of them if you have difficulty playing. Yes it allows you to have more FP/BP, but have you played a no HP-upgrade run? It's still difficult regardless.

Surely you can like TOK without getting so defensive about how it is comparatively easier in many ways. It doesn't offer enough options to make it significantly more difficult, while TTYD does. That much is objective I'm sorry to break it to you. I don't even like TTYD that much more than I do TOK (if at all), but it's ridiculous to act like they're equal in that regard.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I completely omitted that lol

I believe 4 used all of the Cell or parts of it for the PS3. Even then, Konami + Kojima will not make that happen, at all.

You had me until the remake part 1 of the first 3 chapters, the terribad chapters.... rest of the chapters were great, but 3 was like the lowest point for me lol
Bruuuh, the first 3 are great. Ch2 is basically Metal Gear: Solid Shulk.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Ew ew ew ew i'm NOT getting on Nintendo Direct rumors again i have been SCARRED for life. This Apex thing will get dropped on Twitter or at the best a Partner Showcase. Like the excitement they could bring with a big direct and the amount of people watching during Switch's peak... but no if there is a good option they won't use it.

Dec 21, 2020
Bruuuh, the first 3 are great. Ch2 is basically Metal Gear: Solid Shulk.
Granted it has been some time since I played the game, but I remember I didn't enjoy Gormott province that much, boarding to get Pyra was fine, great actually, but then Argentum was eh for me at the start.

It's mainly Argentum and Gormott early on for me. Chapter 4-10? Yes please, far more interesting imo, Nia's development? injected into my veins.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nate mentionned that he could see a Mini in February iirc. Would be a good fit.

An Apex Legends leaker mentionned the game would be coming to Switch on Feb 1st. Assuming he is right, it gives us a window of release for Apex (Feb 1st in the West, Feb 2nd in Japan).

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
voted Partner in the poll. Forgot that we're expecting a Pokemon one next month.

4K Dock would be amazing but I'm not counting on it. True 1080p (I think the dock is 900p? I forget) with an option to AI upscale for 4K TVs would be the best I'd expect.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I hope so. But in e3 time? I dont know man...

I mean they are sure not releasing it before summer yea. They usually release these types of revisions in August/September. Must be a nice upgrade if they plan on showing it at E3 or something. But it's pretty early to say as well so we'll see. I would be hyped just cuz it would mean a NDirect would happen.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The perfect length for a game is whatever the story needs it to be. The Xenoblade games have large casts that span multiple lands and nations, with intrigue, destiny, and all sorts of crazy crap mixed in. Meanwhile Mother 3 takes place in and around 1 village for the most part, has a more focused cast, and tells a more personal story, and it's around 25 hours long and tells its story very effectively.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
this is insane, I specifically avoid ones that are that long 😭

Just be glad I didn't say 200+ which is secretly what I wanted to say.

Why not a partner Showcase with some Mass Effect and Apex ?

Mass Effect ain't coming to Switch apparently.

Also Nate said he didn't hear that the Apex announcement would be part of a partner direct. Of course that doesn't rule it out but it seems unlikely.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
this is insane, I specifically avoid ones that are that long 😭
Last month I played through The Alliance Alive that felt really nice at 25 hours. I don't mind long JRPGs but any bloat in a 100+ hour game can sometimes feel a bit annoying when I can play through 3 or so shorter RPGs in the same time.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ew ew ew ew i'm NOT getting on Nintendo Direct rumors again i have been SCARRED for life. This Apex thing will get dropped on Twitter or at the best a Partner Showcase. Like the excitement they could bring with a big direct and the amount of people watching during Switch's peak... but no if there is a good option they won't use it.
Yeah I'm lowering my expectations to a Partner's, but I wouldn't rule out a Mini. I don't think whatever it is will be a full Direct though.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Last month I played through The Alliance Alive that felt really nice at 25 hours. I don't mind long JRPGs but any bloat in a 100+ hour game can sometimes feel a bit annoying when I can play through 3 or so shorter RPGs in the same time.
its part of a reason Chrono trigger is amazing still. It's perfectly paced and can be done in 2 hours while still feeling like a full adventure

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
Legit question. If they continue to refer to them as direct minis or have direct anywhere in the name, wouldn't that suggest that they still intend to use directs in a larger capacity? Like they could just refer to them as partner showcases or a "Pokemon Showcase" if they wanted to do something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.