• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What form will the first Nintendo Direct of 2021 take?

• Nintendo Direct

Votes: 247 20.0%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini

Votes: 131 10.6%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase

Votes: 269 21.7%
  • The Legend of Zelda Direct

Votes: 176 14.2%
  • Pokémon Direct

Votes: 352 28.5%
  • Mr. Sakurai Presents

Votes: 26 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 36 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Random talk, sort off. I'm working on my newly created backlog; still need to continue Dark Souls (Four Kings beaten!) and on PS4 I'm pretty deep into Horizon Zero Dawn. And with that game... I have a new found respect for Breath of the Wild.

Don't get me wrong, HZD is a good game. The art direction, the fantastic design of the metal animals is top notch. If you told me that creators of Killzone would make this game back in the early 2010's I wouldn't have believed you. Plays well too. But the exploration feels dated. In the sense, BoTW ruined it for me.

See that mountain Aloy? You can't go there. There are restrictions in this game and normally that wouldn't bug me a lot, but Breath of the Wild's idea of climbing everything just worked and wasn't a vapid promiss. Going back to semi-invisible walls, restrictions in to what you climb and other limitations did impact my enjoyment for a bit. Still a fun game. Except for the weird static faces and body language which is absolutely annoying. Aloy's face looks to be in constant derp mode.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone knows something about the new works of Next Level Games and Monolith Soft?

Not sure about NLG.

MS has 2 production teams, one for Zelda and one for Xenoblade. It is widely assumed that they're assisting Nintendo for Breath of the Wild 2, this time with a bigger role perhaps. MS's core group is making a new RPG, presumably a new entry in the Xenoblade series—it entered full-scale development in August 2018. It is expected to be announced later this year or perhaps H1 2022 if COVID disrupted the development.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Random talk, sort off. I'm working on my newly created backlog; still need to continue Dark Souls (Four Kings beaten!) and on PS4 I'm pretty deep into Horizon Zero Dawn. And with that game... I have a new found respect for Breath of the Wild.

Don't get me wrong, HZD is a good game. The art direction, the fantastic design of the metal animals is top notch. If you told me that creators of Killzone would make this game back in the early 2010's I wouldn't have believed you. Plays well too. But the exploration feels dated. In the sense, BoTW ruined it for me.

See that mountain Aloy? You can't go there. There are restrictions in this game and normally that wouldn't bug me a lot, but Breath of the Wild's idea of climbing everything just worked and wasn't a vapid promiss. Going back to semi-invisible walls, restrictions in to what you climb and other limitations did impact my enjoyment for a bit. Still a fun game. Except for the weird static faces and body language which is absolutely annoying. Aloy's face looks to be in constant derp mode.

Yea, BOTW really took exploring to a new level. I loved Horizon though and I am super stoked for the sequel. I want to see how exploring underwater goes.

Daryehl

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RIo de Janeiro, Brazil
Say what you like... I liked Star Fox Adventures. Sure, it's a Zelda clone. But the Dinossaur world, the music, the characters, they are all unique. Nintendo could still use this world to revive and keep this franchise and make it à la Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Kazooie (as long as they make it super distinct from the 3D Mario series...

EDIT: we are having a shortage of that genre...

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
By Total Play Time:
j1JMysH.jpg

My favorite Switch games are as follows:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wile
4. Dark Souls Remastered
5. Hollow Knight
6. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
7. Wargroove
8. Splatoon 2
9. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
10. Pikmin 3 Deluxe

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So I just started Monster Hunter World to try to get into the series since Rise is coming and...

I can't say much about it except it has an incredible character creator, as I spent the whole afternoon making my guy as hot as possible.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
AFAIK: Apex Legends Switch release date announcement isn't tied to any Direct-style presentation. Can probably relax any such expectation.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
So I just started Monster Hunter World to try to get into the series since Rise is coming and...

I can't say much about it except it has an incredible character creator, as I spent the whole afternoon making my guy as hot as possible.
Same! I haven't played since Generations released so I've been playing World to get back into the flow of everything and I spent at least 3 hours on the character creator. Crazy how good it is.
AFAIK: Apex Legends Switch release date announcement isn't tied to any Direct-style presentation. Can probably relax any such expectation.
Ahh, interesting. Thanks as always!

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
I know it probably won't ever happen, but I really wish Next Level would return to Super Mario Strikers instead of going after Luigi's Mansion and other ips. Strikers Charged on Wii is one of the most intensely competitive multiplayer games I have ever played. It's been well over 10 years without another installment... a Switch sequel would be incredible (even an HD remaster similar to Galaxy for the Wii game would be awesome)

I loved how much personality the game had. I know some people didn't like that whole "intense" thing, but I always took it as sort of a surreal joke, like as if it wasn't meant to be taken seriously and was for laughs. The characters had more personality than ever. Aside from Waluigi doing a crotch chop, most of the victory and loss animations had the most emotion i've ever seen from the cast, and the accompanying music for each of them fit so well with who they were.

It probably won't happen, and if it ever does, i'm worried it would be branded as "Super Mario Soccer" or something like that, and would resemble the gameplay of the Soccer mode in Mario Sports Superstars, which was heavily bland and lacked almost any depth or emotion at all.

Bring back the Mario Baseball franchise too. So many good memories. Bandai is such a talented developer.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I know it probably won't ever happen, but I really wish Next Level would return to Super Mario Strikers instead of going after Luigi's Mansion and other ips. Strikers Charged on Wii is one of the most intensely competitive multiplayer games I have ever played. It's been well over 10 years without another installment... a Switch sequel would be incredible (even an HD remaster similar to Galaxy for the Wii game would be awesome)

I loved how much personality the game had. I know some people didn't like that whole "intense" thing, but I always took it as sort of a surreal joke, like as if it wasn't meant to be taken seriously and was for laughs. The characters had more personality than ever. Aside from Waluigi doing a crotch chop, most of the victory and loss animations had the most emotion i've ever seen from the cast, and the accompanying music for each of them fit so well with who they were.

It probably won't happen, and if it ever does, i'm worried it would be branded as "Super Mario Soccer" or something like that, and would resemble the gameplay of the Soccer mode in Mario Sports Superstars, which was heavily bland and lacked almost any depth or emotion at all.

Bring back the Mario Baseball franchise too. So many good memories. Bandai is such a talented developer.
After M&S at the 2016 Olympics, Strikers Wii isn't even that edgy. It doesn't have Shadow calling everyone the c-word when he misses a shot.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
At this point I think it may literally be "Breath of the Wild II"
I swear it's gonna be about the arm. The old concept sketches had a robot / ghost arm, and then we get one in the teaser? I feel like they're gonna follow through on it, make it crucial (magical powers like hookshot arm, etc!), and maybe even work it into the name.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
hi thread! it's nice to meet ya'll!
long time nintendo fan. i don't game much anymore, but i love my switch and psyched af to play mario 3D land again with the roomies. and to try out ring fit adventure. shoot me a message or a quote if you want to exchange friend codes! though i won't be able to be near my switch for another week or so.

trans rights are human rights.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
What do most fake leaks use the "breath of the.." part and the " of the wild"?

"Wild" would be easier to use then "Breath" honestly

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to play some more indie games. I've already played the big ones (Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight) and would love some recommendations! I got my eyes on Cross Code and CyberShadow so far.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to play some more indie games. I've already played the big ones (Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight) and would love some recommendations! I got my eyes on Cross Code and CyberShadow so far.
CrossCode is my favorite indie game and quite possibly my favorite RPG. It's just so damn good

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Indie game is a bit vague, what kind of genres do you like? I'm guessing platformers by the titles you're listing, so I'm gonna recommend Celeste. Strongly recommend. It's like the best 2D platformer I've ever played.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
CrossCode is my favorite indie game and quite possibly my favorite RPG. It's just so damn good

All the more reason for me to pick it up. Thank you!

Indie game is a bit vague, what kind of genres do you like? I'm guessing platformers by the titles you're listing, so I'm gonna recommend Celeste. Strongly recommend. It's like the best 2D platformer I've ever played.

You're right, I was being extremely vague. I don't know how Celeste slipped my mind but it was my first Nindie game ever so I can cross that one off already! I'm a huge, huge fan of RPGs, platformers and fighting games but honestly I'm open to anything.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
You're right, I was being extremely vague. I don't know how Celeste slipped my mind but it was my first Nindie game ever so I can cross that one off already! I'm a huge, huge fan of RPGs, platformers and fighting games but honestly I'm open to anything.

Hmm, I'll recommend Hyper Light Drifter then. Really cool 2D action adventure game in a beautiful post apocalyptic world.

And slay the spire! Roguelike deck builder. The first time I've played this type of game and I was completely addicted.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain

Yeah, I need to start/finish many games on my backlog and I always end playing the same games lol...
XC2+Torna @ 345H
Zelda @ 300H
XCDE @ 155H
SMM2 @ 120H

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Question for you guys after browsing the sale on the eShop.

How are both Sunless Sea and Armello when played in portable mode?

Both games seem interesting but I pretty much only play my Switch in portable mode and those games seem to be really text and UI heavy which can suck on a small screen if not done well.

Ninboys

Aug 28, 2018
Pokémon Direct probably will be in the last week of february, and I hope there is a direct in the first half of the month, so my vote is for direct mini.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Hmm, I'll recommend Hyper Light Drifter then. Really cool 2D action adventure game in a beautiful post apocalyptic world.

And slay the spire! Roguelike deck builder. The first time I've played this type of game and I was completely addicted.

Much appreciated! HLD is definitely a looker. STS doesn't look as good but I can see the gameplay looking being highly addicting. Will definitely watch more gameplay footage over the next few days! :)

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in dated mechanics, or ideas, or whatever. I definitely don't believe in one true way to do something. Though I would say invisible walls aren't really dated, since games like GTA and RDR and even Elder Scrolls have been doing worlds you can literally walk to every part of for decades now. It's just a difference in priorities. Sometimes a mountain is decoration, sometimes it's not. Invisible walls are just a design tool so you can create a world without having to design your games differently.

I don't actually want every game to have the ability to go "anywhere."

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Glad to see that my team won the splatfest. I like to think that my 3-7 record this weekend contributed to Team Mushroom's convincing victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.