• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What form will the first Nintendo Direct of 2021 take?

• Nintendo Direct

Votes: 247 20.0%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini

Votes: 131 10.6%
  • Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase

Votes: 269 21.7%
  • The Legend of Zelda Direct

Votes: 176 14.2%
  • Pokémon Direct

Votes: 352 28.5%
  • Mr. Sakurai Presents

Votes: 26 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 36 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanghyuk95

Jan 14, 2021
First time posting in this forum. I'm really looking forward to whatever pokémon game comes out this year.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm gonna say we get a Zelda presentation in the first half of February, followed by Pokemon towards the end of the month. Mini Direct in March. Trailer drop for EPD4's game before any of those things.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Okay guys I need to tell you something, my uncle is Doug Bowser Jr., here a 100% true leak

- DK Country 3.0+1.0, OST composed by Sawano
- Octopath Depression, a spiritual sequel to Octopath Traveller by Team Asano, character design and story by Inio Asano
- MK9, but it's actually Mortal Kombat port
- Xenoblade: Horny Jail, Xenoblade but with social links now
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions x Rabbids, a co-production between Ubisoft Milan and ATLUS. The Rabbids invade Shibuya and Rabbid Peach tries to become an idol
- Zelda Collection, MM3D and OoT3D, but only playable in portable mode putting the screen vertically to use the touchscreen
- Pokèmon Well Timed Diamond and Open Space Pearl. Splatoon crossover announced as Cyhtia is replaced by Marina in Diamond and Pearl in Pearl.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
One of the most famous Apple leaker tweeted this:

I'm pretty sure he got these informations from one of the manufacturer in China, which means the console already entered in the production phase.

Don't think E3 will happen (maybe some scaled-down digital event but I don't see Nintendo joining, they will be doing their own thing) but I suspect a similar reveal to market timeline to the Switch lite so around E3 time could check out.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's the same leap as Xbox One to Xbox One X and "4K" doesn't mean every game will render at that full resolution(because they don't even on PS5/XSX) regardless of DLSS or upscaling.
Exactly. It likely means MK8D will render at 4K (DLSS, probably) docked, so that's a decent jump (2x ALU performance, and good tensor core power) but not an inconceivably huge increase. Games like XBC2/XBCDE might reach native resolution, though, with any luck.

People sometimes misjudge the 4K term: it's broadly applied whenever anything renders at 4K, even if the system itself doesn't render those pixels natively. As such, 'hitting 4K' is not nearly as difficult as it would be if it actually meant hitting native full 4K.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
From a gpu viewpoint, xb1 to xb1x was close to a generational leap. They just got gimped by the weak cpu.
I'd warmly welcome a switch advance with such improvement.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
The only think I want from a revision is a performance boost so previous switch games can benefit.

Games like Xenoblade getting a boost would be nice.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I truly do wonder about the Switch Pro rumors. It would be nice to run games at a higher res or with better performance in some manner but it's pretty outside the realm of what Nintendo has done before. I suppose we'll find out soon enough!

I'll get a pre-owned version of the next console at some point so I guess I'm not super invested either way. It would be nice to have!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. It likely means MK8D will render at 4K (DLSS, probably) docked, so that's a decent jump (2x ALU performance, and good tensor core power) but not an inconceivably huge increase. Games like XBC2/XBCDE might reach native resolution, though, with any luck.

People sometimes misjudge the 4K term: it's broadly applied whenever anything renders at 4K, even if the system itself doesn't render those pixels natively. As such, 'hitting 4K' is not nearly as difficult as it would be if it actually meant hitting native full 4K.

I know there's a lot of DLSS believers but I still have reservations about it being a default assumption because it still needs to implemented individually in games, and it might be difficult to retrofit into existing games or engines. I would also say we don't actually know how it would scale down performance-wise to a mobile chip with less cores in a real world setting.

For that reason I would assume that even if the chip has tensor cores and DLSS is supported that for the most part performance boosts will come either solely or primarily from just raw performance boost even if it isn't enough to get to 4K. In my mind it would even make sense that for a Pro you would match portable mode to the existing docked profile(with a 1080p screen) and have a proportional boost for the new docked profile(~1440p-1800p?).

Most glorious successful system Wii U!

Technically it was announced beforehand but yeah you're correct so that's what... 2011?

10 year anniversary HYPE - Switch Pro is actually Switch U

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
Oo new thread.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Switch Pro... If there is one, I'm gonna have to buy it. And that's money I really did not intend spending this year.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
Pvz would be a great addition, but I d rather have the first plants vs zombies (the tower defense game) it s still the best one

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'll be glad when the new model is confirmed, purely so that we can put all the speculation to bed. And then be inundated with dozens of threads about why Nintendo are doomed for either a) making too big a leap with their revision or b) not doing anywhere near enough with their revision.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I care more about the future of joycons and if they address their problems rather than the system itself ha ha.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The important part of the info is not where it will be announced (because that part is flexible) but the fact that it will be a system with improved specs and components.

Also if it has new JoyCons too, it will probably be a "New" model rather than a "Pro" (as in it will replace the current Switch).

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Every time I see new OT without the direct name in it I cry silently a bit.

It just... isn't right. It isn't proper. It isn't how things were supposed to be.
2018 January, never forget.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I have the feeling all the games I want to come out this year will be released post E3 and that sucks. Plus the Switch pro.
Well, back to the 10 games I haven't beaten yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.