• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Nintendo game talked about by ERA, but never announced in 2020:

• Metroid 5

Votes: 361 33.1%
  • F-Zero

Votes: 140 12.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2

Votes: 209 19.2%
  • Donkey Kong 3D platformer

Votes: 147 13.5%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 35 3.2%
  • Pokémon Diamond/Pearl Remake

Votes: 123 11.3%
  • Star Fox Switch

Votes: 74 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
rpDlgR0.png

Greetings, fellow speculators and weary 2020 time travellers. Hang your coats and stay for a while. Here in our hallowed OT18, may you find refuge and enlightenment, as we move forward day by day to muse over gaming news over cups of hot cocoa (or ice cold fresh lemonade for those lucky so-and-so's near the Equator and Southern Hemisphere). But first, let us give thanks to MondoMega for the graphics used in this thread.

OLauDmK.png

As expressed by the community (and so eloquently verbalized by Phendrift/suggested by DecoReturns), I'd like to start with a very important message that bears repeating:

The trans community is without a doubt one of, if not the, most marginalized and misunderstood minority groups. The mental and physical health of trans folk are under constant attack due to hate and bigotry. Do not think for a second that the disgusting bigotry against trans people does not extend to or is irrelevant to the gaming industry. I'd like to put two relevant examples in this OP:
  1. CD Project Red has displayed an inexcusable amount of transphobic tendencies over the past couple of years. Mainly through their social media accounts, and even extending into the huge game they are about to release, Cyberpunk 2077. The full details of these can be found in this extremely well made and detailed thread that is a must read.
  2. While the developers of Harry Potter: Legacy of Hogwarts themselves have not displayed transphobic behavior, the games profits will directly support J.K. Rowling, the author of the books who has shown ignorant and hateful behavior towards trans folk. The examples are numerous beyond excuse, some of which can be found here and here, with the devastating effects her views have had on the trans community here.
The purpose of this is not to shame people who wish to buy the games, but while these are not Nintendo related, they are issues that have been swept under the rug for far too long and simply ignored by a huge amount of era posters.

3VaADac.png

Behold, our sacred texts!

The Official permission grant from Nibel establishing the thread's purpose:
One point I'd like to address: while there will be ultimately some kind of overlap between 1st party discussions and Direct discussions, I imagine the Direct thread would be more focused on speculation, possible leaks and rumors than this one. It would basically be a thread to contain "all the madness" in one place to keep this thread more level-headed and on-topic.

We've discussed to have a dedicated thread after Moon's suggestion yesterday and came to the conclusion that this might work for the best going forward. So: if anybody is interested to make that thread, they are officially allowed to do so.

Only thing I'd like to ask for is that the OP keeps the opening post updated and tries to keep up with the discussion/speculation.

The founding Charter from the first OP Kevin360:
The purpose of this thread:

To better contain the madness of ResetERA's Nintendo Direct speculation, and keep it relatively separate from the Nintendo First-Party thread.

As a general rule, let's try to avoid too much "reset the clock" type posts, until of course, we have a really good reason to think it's time to actually be resetting the clock. Madness must have some modicum of reasoning, you know?

ALSO: DO NOT MESSAGE/HARASS AND TAG 'INSIDERS' (this should go without saying, but they've alluded these things crossing the line)

The wisdom of Furtive Pygmy on how to treat insiders and inside information:
This is my approach:
1) Don't blindly trust in anything insiders say. Take it as information of yet to be confirmed validity and a basis for further speculation, nothing more.
2) If it doesn't pan out, deal with it. It doesn't affect you in any way, either way.
3) If it does pan out, great. It's not like that means they should be put on a pedestal.
4) Don't insult or harass them. Just move on and draw your own conclusions on whether or not you still want to listen to what they have to say.
Just my 0.02$.

Sage advice from Raccoon to better control rumours from spreading like wildfire:
Touching again on insider information, I'd like to stress that teases are not meant to be shared on Twitter or elsewhere. Obviously, no one can stop you, but these teases are meant to be gifts to the community, not journalistic scoops. It is courtesy to not attempt to proliferate or cover information shared in this thread second hand. If you'd like to restrict viewership of part of your post to only those who have replied to the thread, you can use the tags [ H I D E ] content [ / H I D E ] without spaces.

As a refresher, site rule violations include trolling, posting sexual or objectifying content, bigoted speech, platform warring, hostility towards other members, engaging in off-site drama, and, of course, accusations of astroturfing.

Adding to the aforementioned texts simply for the rare occasions when it is not stipulated:

Sharing a fake or old Nintendo Direct announcement tweet under the guise of passing it off as a real/new announcement, even as a joke, IS A BANNABLE OFFENSE.

As your OP, here to shepherd you in understanding the enigma behind Nintendo's press releases, twitter announcements and the occasional GENERAL DIRECT, I promise to maintain the updates to this post to the best of my ability. In the event I overlook something or can't quite keep up with a tidal wave of posts, please let me know by tagging me. With regards to the latest insider rumours and community speculation, I will be specifically anonymizing information to let discussion grow organically. The following section is better understood as a heartbeat of our community; what we think is going to happen.

QTrWPoH.png

Last updated: 2021 1 15 14:17 ET (newest speculation at the top)

• Hitman 3 Cloud Edition was announced to be released on January 20th! Hope you have an ethernet adapter for your Switch dock!
  • New Pokemon Snap looks absolutely gorgeous with a new trailer, and an even prettier April 30th release date!
  • Rumours of a Switch revision grow stronger, maybe a little more powerful than we've come to expect based on Nintendo's historically conservative hardware choices, but no clues beyond speculation of when it might release or be revealed
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is getting a two minute trailer at Jan 12, 2021 at 9:00 AM! We'll finally see what it's all about!
  • The Monster Hunter Rise Demo is available now until February 1st! Go download now!
  • Some of the new features coming to MH Rise include Wyvern Riding, as well as a number of returning favourite monsters Lagombi, Great Baggi, Royal Ludroth, Barioth and some new ones Magnamalo, Mizutsune
    Capcom has announced a Monster Hunter Direct Digital Event for January 7th!
  • Starting off 2021 with some big news, Nintendo has made a new developer acquisition in their Canadian partners Next Level Games (Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Strikers). They are now their second Western devs after Retro Studios, and bring their total number of development teams up to 11(? I think, I'll correct this later)
  • Crash Team Racing: Nitro will be available as a full game trial for North American NSO subscribers from Dec 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM and lasting until Jan 6, 2021 at 2:59 AM
  • SEPHIROTH
    • Releases December 22nd, but you can unlock him early if you beat the timed challenge between December 17th and 22nd!
    • Classic Mode is a boss rush
    • New stage Northern Cave
    • Nine new music tracks
    • Mii Costumes:
      • Chocobo (3DS/Wii U) (Hat)
      • Tifa - Brawler
      • Aerith - Swordfighter
      • Barret - Gunner
      • Geno - BTFO Gunner
  • Our darling Indie World is back! Some of the highlights:
    • Hollow Knight Among Us closes out the show with a shadowdrop on Switch, and crossplay with PC and mobile players!
    • Gnosia, speaking of alien deception, is also coming to Switch in early 2021
    • Calico (now) and Fisti-fluffs (Spring 2021) are here to appeal to your feline desires!
    • Spelunky 1 and 2 will be coming in Summer 2021!
    • Super Meat Boy Forever is coming to Switch as a timed exclusive on December 23!
    • Cyber Shadow from Yacht Club Games is headed to Switch on Jan 26, 2021
    • Grindstone from Capybara Games is a timed exclusive now!
    • Alba: A Wildlife Adventure where you work to save the bay area in your town is headed to Switch in Spring 2021
    • Happy Game is wonderfully creepy and headed to Switch in Spring 2021
    • Very Very Valet seems to capture a particular essense of Crazy Taxi and is headed to Switch in early 2021
    • Tunche is a gorgeous 2D beat-em up that pulls inspiration from the Amazon jungle and Peruvian folklore. Coming to Switch March 2021
    • Sizzle reel: When the Past was Around, Finding Paradise, Hazel Sky, Hoa, Kosmokrats and Trash Sailors
  • The SNES and NES apps are getting new releases on December 18th, including Donkey Kong Country 3, Ignition Factor and Nightshade
  • Funimation is bringing their app to Switch tomorrow, December 15th! The latest media platform is the first where you can stream anime to your heart's content, joining other apps like YouTube, NicoNico and Hulu (et tu, Netflix?)
  • Nintendo has announced an Indie World presentation in Dec 15, 2020 at 12:00 PM! Hollow Knight's twitter account took the time to retweet the announcement as well 🤔
  • It seems reasonable to believe that the MH: Rise demo might hit as early as the first full week of January (sometime before the 9th), #TeamJanuaryStaysWinning
  • Looks like that's a wrap for TGAs. It may not have been the feast we were hoping for, but we still got some nice little surprises out of it all the same. #TeamJanuaryStaysWinning
  • A limited time demo for Monster Hunter Rise is confirmed to be arriving in January 2021
  • Capcom Arcade Collection is going to be a free download available in February 2021!
  • Ghosts n Goblins: Resurrection is officially announced as a reboot for Switch, February 25th 2021!
  • Evil Dead The Game announced for Switch in 2021!
  • Disco Elysium: Final Cut is set to release on Switch in Summer 2021
  • Endless Dungeons, a roguelite from Sega is coming to Switch and other platforms!
  • SEPHIROTH FOR SMASH LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO
    • Okay, hype has cooled off enough to be coherent again. There's a Smash Presentation coming on December 17th, 2pm PT/5pm ET (Dec 17, 2020 at 5:00 PM), release date info coming too
  • Shady Part of Me was shadowdropped as a release on Switch and other platforms!
  • Sea of Solitude: Director's Cut has been announced for Switch by EA in the TGA pre-show! In the press release, a demo was confirmed for Switch on March 4th, 2021
  • The third character from Smash's FP2 has been confirmed to be revealed at The Game Awards tonight! Not even a hint as to who to expect; all bets are off!
  • The Game Awards/The Keighleys/The FOscars are here! We may not have Joan Rivers, but we got…endless speculation! Woo! (mental note; CGI clips of nominated game characters walking red carpet. Banter from the VAs. ????. Profit.)
  • The Switch OS v11.0.0 added new features like screenshot transfers to your smart device and computer, as well as a trending feed of popular games in your friend list. With a new hub to access your NSO account and settings, there's possibly something brewing that might require frequent access to it
  • Nintendo Switch Online users in Japan are receiving an Overcooked! 2 trial event from December 7th to 13th. The last time the West received a game trial on Switch was Overwatch back in October.
  • Doom Eternal has been dated for December 8th for a digital release, seemingly had its physical release cancelled according to several retailers
  • A Mario Sports game from Camelot is speculated to release in H1 of 2021 (RIP Golden Sun)
  • TPCi announced that they have special plans in motion to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Pokémon; suspicions around a Diamond/Pearl remake grow
  • This year's final partner showcase has aired! Introducing cloud games to the west (Control, Hitman 3), an AoC demo, Bravely Default's new February release date, among other stuff!
  • Rumors and speculation for Nintendo's 2021 have started to trickle in. Spotlights have been shined on possibilities such as The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD and Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, and a Switch Revision around March/April. Of course, many devs are unaccounted for such as the Mario Kart team and the 3D Mario team (aside from Bowser's Fury). Zelda and Metroid will be celebrating their 35th anniversary in 2021, so we've discussed the possibility of many other games coming to switch from those series, such as BotW2 possibly making it and the long-rumored Metroid 5. Should be a good year for Nintendo!
  • Fire Emblem 1 will be coming to Nintendo Switch localized for the first time ever in December! However, it's only available until March 31st. With this and 3D All Stars, could this be a strategy we keep seeing from Nintendo?
  • Always be ready for the unexpected
  • #TeamJanuaryStaysWinning

New and Upcoming in 2020
Immortals: Fenyx Rising – December 3rd
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light - December 4th
Fitness Boxing 2 – December 4th
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 – December 8th
Doom Eternal – December 8th
Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend - December 15th
Sephiroth (Super Smash Bros DLC) - December 22nd
Super Meat Boy Forever - December 23rd

2021 and Beyond
Hitman 3 - Cloud Version - January 20th, 2021
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - February 12th, 2021
Persona 5 Strikers – February 23rd, 2021
Ghosts 'n Goblins: Resurrection - February 25th, 2021
Bravely Default II – February 26th, 2021
Capcom Arcade Collection - February 2021
Sea of Solitude: Director's Cut - March 4th, 2021
Balan Wonderworld – March 26th, 2021
Monster Hunter Rise - March 26th, 2021
Amiibo Figurines: Banjo & Kazooie/Terry/Byleth - March 26th, 2021
New Pokémon Snap - April 30th, 2021
Disco Elysium: Final Cut - Summer 2021
Monster Hunter Stories 2 - Summer 2021
No More Heroes III – 2021
Rune Factory 5- 2021
SkateBIRD - 2021
Shin Megami III: Nocturne HD Remaster - 2021
Shin Megami Tensei V - 2021
Metroid Prime 4 - TBA
Bayonetta 3 -TBA
Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - TBA

CXDVLuc.png

Community Links:

Nintendo First Party Thread

Switch Rumor Archive

NEW Rumor Archive
Nintendo Community Thread |OT| *This Space for Rent*

Nintendo Switch |OT| Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER! MAYBE!

Our NintendoERA Discord
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
HqCHozC.png

The spirit of "Nintendo Direct Speculation" threads will live on for this thread and beyond! But they... still actually exist too. The madness has been organized here for your viewing pleasure:

Now please, take off your shoes, settle in your comfiest bed/chair, and join the madness within…

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
New thread, who dis?

Let's hope the first big event during this thread's run won't leave people disappointed in terms of Nintendo news. ^^
Otherwise, blame Brofield.

;D

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Brofield I think your Game Awards counter is off by a day. It says 2 days, 8 hours but I think it's 1 day, 8 hours!

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
New thread, new hype. 2021 is going to be amazing for us Switch owners.

OP
OP
Brofield

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
New thread, who dis?

Let's hope the first big event during this thread's run won't leave people disappointed in terms of Nintendo news. ^^
Otherwise, blame Brofield.

;D

I accept this humble responsibility and prepared to commit sudoku

Hey Brofield I think your Game Awards counter is off by a day. It says 2 days, 8 hours but I think it's 1 day, 8 hours!

Oh good, I knew it felt off ahaha. I'll fix that now and one other formatting error I see

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
18th OT, you guys are crazy, haha.
I admit I stopped participating in those OT and hype thread but I'm still very much looking forward to what surprises Nintendo has in store.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's REAL early but OT 19 should be "Team January Stays Winning" (if this thread makes it to January haha)

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since we've had one of these. Nice touch to the thread title too.

I'm "Team It's *$#%ing Nothing" for TGA.

Ninboys

Aug 28, 2018
Finally the thread that we will have a direct!
Unless we have another one before january ends...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should announce Byleth for Smash again at the Game Awards.

DomsiKong

May 7, 2019
Can someone recap on what Nintendo related announcements we got on TGA in the past? I remember:

2019 NMH3, BD2
2018 Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3?!
2017 Bayonetta 3
2016?

2013 Cranky Kong for DK:TF

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone recap on what Nintendo related announcements we got on TGA in the past? I remember:

2019 NMH3, BD2
2018 Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3?!
2017 Bayonetta 3
2016?

2013 Cranky Kong for DK:TF
2016 was BotW with gameplay. 2015 Iwata passed away so they did a tribute. 2014 was BotW gameplay, Super Mario Maker, Codename Steam and Star Fox Zero.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Love me that new thread smell.

In response to the poll, I want Zelda stuff. Potential hot take but I'm a little wary of Metroid Prime 4. I don't have the utmost faith in the project, so let it cook.

Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
Here we go again.
The Never-Ending Cycle Of Life And Death.
In response to the poll, I need anything related to Bayonetta 3 and/or Metroid Prime 4.
It would also be nice to have something, any new tiny breadcrumb of info, about Shin Megami Tensei V before 2021.
I want to enter 2021 with hope.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even consider the possibility of Elden Ring on Switch via cloud. I guess because there's virtually no possibility of that. Would be neat though.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I'd take the new IP from the choices in the poll. I'm excited for Bayonetta, MP4, and BotW2, but those are still gonna come either way. I'll take the new thing to add on top of those.

My actual expectations are fairly low, though.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
The only exciting thing from TGA this year is at least it seems like all the nominees for "Influencer" are actually decent people.

It's quite the shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.