• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

With regards to Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury...

• I have played the game, and will for sure be buying it again!

Votes: 375 34.1%
  • I have played the game, and may buy it again depending on the improvements/Bowser’s Fury

Votes: 284 25.8%
  • I have played the game, and definitely won’t be buying it again

Votes: 103 9.4%
  • I haven’t played the game, and will for sure be jumping in for the first time!

Votes: 231 21.0%
  • I haven’t played the game, but I’m still not sold yet

Votes: 71 6.4%
  • I haven’t played the game, and I’m still not interested

Votes: 37 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been said a million times, but after trying Galaxy 2 again last week, it's obvious that the controls are why it didn't include that game. You can touch the screen to collect stuff and interact in Galaxy 1, but you wouldn't be able to do that while riding Yoshi in Galaxy 2. Nintendo would actually have to go in and change how that game works, and it didn't want to do that for this collection.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been said a million times, but after trying Galaxy 2 again last week, it's obvious that the controls are why it didn't include that game. You can touch the screen to collect stuff and interact in Galaxy 1, but you wouldn't be able to do that while riding Yoshi in Galaxy 2. Nintendo would actually have to go in and change how that game works, and it didn't want to do that for this collection.

Yeah, that seems pretty clear. I mean, right analog even just as an option for the pointer seemed blindingly obvious.

Ridiculous that they put out Mario 64 and Galaxy HD with such little ambition, games that should've been celebrated and treated with love and care.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Yeah tend to think you're right. They just didn't have a solid way of making Galaxy 2 playable on Switch. It's a bummer since it's (imo) the superior game and is a monument to incredible game design. I feel like if they put a bit more effort into the port then it would've been very possible but for whatever reason this whole pack seems like it was a very low priority in terms of actually doing work. It's just a port it and ship it kind of deal.

Oh well. Least Dolphin emulates it in HD quite well.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
So here's a thought. Since these games are being emulated is it a possibility that the emulator work is just a carryover from the Prime Trilogy HD stuff they've supposedly had done for a long time? Feel like since the big benefit of the Trilogy is that it had Wii controls if they're going to revert back to standard shooter controls then it's more likely they port the GCN versions of 1/2 and then wrap 3 w/ similar gyro control stuff or build a new control scheme for it.

If that were the case then they literally could've just dumped roms, built a control scheme, throw in the soundtracks and a GUI wrapper and said ship it. Seems like this is more of a precursor to more GCN/Wii stuff coming over since they have the emulators built.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how someone tried to call me out on this when I said Yoshi could've been a problem

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Not to tangent to the Apple event since there won't be any video games stuff there more than likely, but I feel like it's sad that they're talking about all that the Apple Watch can do and how it connects you to everyone and all your messages and social media and blah blah blah.

I like that when I look at my watch it only tells me the time. It's relaxing just to see a relatively complex machine do a simple thing beautifully and doesn't inject me into the world of social media and all of that.

Anyway, back to video games.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
So here's a thought. Since these games are being emulated is it a possibility that the emulator work is just a carryover from the Prime Trilogy HD stuff they've supposedly had done for a long time? Feel like since the big benefit of the Trilogy is that it had Wii controls if they're going to revert back to standard shooter controls then it's more likely they port the GCN versions of 1/2 and then wrap 3 w/ similar gyro control stuff or build a new control scheme for it.

If that were the case then they literally could've just dumped roms, built a control scheme, throw in the soundtracks and a GUI wrapper and said ship it. Seems like this is more of a precursor to more GCN/Wii stuff coming over since they have the emulators built.
The GC contro schemes where in the code of the Trilogy, i suppose it will be easy to "active" theme from the Wii versions of prime 1&2, also many things done by Prime 3 are all possibile with a strandard controller

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
The GC contro schemes where in the code of the Trilogy, i suppose it will be easy to "active" theme from the Wii versions of prime 1&2, also many things done by Prime 3 are all possibile with a strandard controller
Interesting! Wasn't aware of that. Then guess they probably will dump the Wii version and maybe pretty it up a bit. Hopefully we see that eventually lol.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Interesting! Wasn't aware of that. Then guess they probably will dump the Wii version and maybe pretty it up a bit. Hopefully we see that eventually lol.
I rember that someone looked at prime wii at the time (the jap one) and that the GC support was still there, the Trilogy is basically Prime 3 plus Prime 1&2 New play control

Dec 18, 2018
Yep I have. Handheld only. I don't trust those rickety airline tables combined with the rickety kickstand and potential of turbulence.

Clearly I'm alone though on thinking tabletop is stupid.
Yup, I been on a flight in January, and table top worked great. Airplanes now are smooth Ride. table top is more comfortable , with joycons in each hand or with pro controller.

Cheesehead302

Jun 7, 2019
Csn I just say the amount of people undercutting Galaxy 2 and saying it's trash as a way to defend Nintendo excluding from the collection is kind of making me off my rocker? I absolutely love the game and played it before Galaxy 1, and I firmly believe, although subtle, it has unique style of Gameplay unlike the 1st game. It's really annoying seeing it be shuned by people that support Nintendo's (imo) bad business practice.

Cheesehead302

Jun 7, 2019
Yeah tend to think you're right. They just didn't have a solid way of making Galaxy 2 playable on Switch. It's a bummer since it's (imo) the superior game and is a monument to incredible game design. I feel like if they put a bit more effort into the port then it would've been very possible but for whatever reason this whole pack seems like it was a very low priority in terms of actually doing work. It's just a port it and ship it kind of deal.

Oh well. Least Dolphin emulates it in HD quite well.
My thoughts as well. They could have definitely developed a solution if it was thought about for longer than a day.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Csn I just say the amount of people undercutting Galaxy 2 and saying it's trash as a way to defend Nintendo excluding from the collection is kind of making me off my rocker? I absolutely love the game and played it before Galaxy 1, and I firmly believe, although subtle, it has unique style of Gameplay unlike the 1st game. It's really annoying seeing it be shuned by people that support Nintendo's (imo) bad business practice.
People are shunning it just because they can. There can't be a single person who has played and enjoyed Galaxy 1 and then also played and disliked Galaxy 2. That's completely illogical.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like the poll question was changed, but my vote is still there and I can't change it? lol

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I know this has probably been answered already somewhere, but will Mario Galaxy be playable on the pro controller?

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one answered me in the 3D All Stars thread so I'll try here. The only confirmed game with a two player mode in the collection is Galaxy, right?

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's similarly annoying to see people hyperbolizing as if the collection is worth jack shit without it. It's a bummer that it's not in, but it's far from a dealbreaker

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
People are shunning it just because they can. There can't be a single person who has played and enjoyed Galaxy 1 and then also played and disliked Galaxy 2. That's completely illogical.
I dont dislike 2, I just don't like it anywhere near as much as Galaxy. It could have just been my headspace at the time, but I don't have fond memories of Galaxy 2.
Don't get me wrong I'd rather it be included, if only for everyone else's sake.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, because it's being announced tomorrow.

Monster Hunter Switch exclusive for PlayStation 5

Too bad they already used the name Double Cross

817hLhW-Y5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

SG.

Feb 4, 2020
Leeds
I love how someone tried to call me out on this when I said Yoshi could've been a problem
Not saying you did this because I haven't seen you do so, but a lot of the posts I saw when the Galaxy 2 was raised just said "Yoshi" without any real explanation of what that meant. Grubb's post is the first one I've seen to actually explain it. Also it makes me feel really dumb for not understanding sooner because I replayed Galaxy 2 only a few months ago.
I suppose it depends on what aspects of each game you like. Galaxy 1 and 2 don't really have the same tone imo, so if you loved the grandiose tone of Galaxy 1, you may not like Galaxy 2 in the same way. Personally I love them both, but I would argue that Galaxy 1 is the better experience BUT Galaxy 2 is the better game. 1 excels in tone, 2 excels in game design.

Status
Not open for further replies.