• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

With regards to Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury...

• I have played the game, and will for sure be buying it again!

Votes: 375 34.1%
  • I have played the game, and may buy it again depending on the improvements/Bowser’s Fury

Votes: 284 25.8%
  • I have played the game, and definitely won’t be buying it again

Votes: 103 9.4%
  • I haven’t played the game, and will for sure be jumping in for the first time!

Votes: 231 21.0%
  • I haven’t played the game, but I’m still not sold yet

Votes: 71 6.4%
  • I haven’t played the game, and I’m still not interested

Votes: 37 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
rpDlgR0.png

Welcome all! You may notice that something feels different with our new title. You would be correct! The threads that were once "Nintendo Direct Speculation" have been rebranded at the request of the mods for the following reasons:

1) Nintendo's odd marketing practices due to COVID-19 and the increase of Twitter Drops, as there has not been a general direct since last September.
2) more consistency with other general discussion threads on the forum, such as the Sony and Microsoft First Party threads.

It is okay to not agree with this, and many do not. Rest assured though, nothing has changed but our name. No reinventing the wheel, a complete rehash! Hence the inspiration for the OT title. This thread will still be one of the most prolific Nintendo communities on the internet, as well as one of your best sources for Nintendo news, rumors, and speculation. This also does not mean directs are cancelled and Nintendo is doomed. You can find more information about the name change in "Guidelines" below, in Quinton post.

As for the OP, I'm trying to keep the formula that I established in OT4, as it has also been refined and bettered by the OPs that came after me. The most recent edition by Raccoon was a success so I will keep it going and not try to reinvent the wheel. And of course, always thanks to MondoMega, who is still responsible for the clean thread graphics 12 OTs later (including a new one for the "Previous Threads" section as to pay respect to our former name)!
3VaADac.png

First, addressing the elephant in the room: the name change. For those who missed it, here is Quinton's post from OT15 which detailed the mods' thought process:
Official Staff Communication
Hello lovelies.

Today, the winds of change are upon us. Many of you have wondered, for many moons throughout our odyssey together, if this great topic series would ever be relocated to Hangouts. I am here to tell you that no, not it will not. However! Times have changed. At least for now, Nintendo is not taking the "Direct Approach" to Directs. If you dislike that pun, do not worry. So do I.

That is why these threads will soon be designated Nintendo First Party Studios |OT|. I hope you'll think of this as an upgrade. A level-up. A 1UP mushroom. An extra heart container. An evolution.

I also hope you're still reading after that.

Now, some of you may be wondering, "Why just first-party studios?" It's a damn valid question. Don't dwell on it overmuch. We're doing this for symmetry with Sony and Microsoft's similar threads. In both those instances, folks talk about al sorts of stuff that isn't just first-party.

But I don't want to leave you hanging on that note. If enough of you feel strongly that this ongoing thread series warrants a slightly different name like "Nintendo |OT|" then let me know via voting in a poll I'm about to replace the current poll with. If you're kosher with "Nintendo First Party Studios |OT|" vote for that. If you'd prefer "Nintendo |OT|" then vote for that instead! If you have another idea, feel free to jot it down in here, but we really want to keep things simple so it's probably gonna be one or the other.

I imagine some will also wonder what the deal is with Hangouts' Nintendo Community thread going forward. It's not going anywhere! Keep posting there as much as you'd like. Technically, yes, this causes a bit of redundancy. But we aren't going to stop Sony and Microsoft fans from having their own Gaming-side OT, as well we shouldn't! The same ought to apply to Nintendo, so here we are.

I'll try to be around throughout the day to field questions. Truth be told, it's a busy day, so if I don't get back to you immediately, I apologize! For now, please be excited for the new poll and anticipate a formal thread title change somewhat soon . Don't let this get you down. This thread series has become one of the internet's most consistently fast-flying places to discuss the many-splendored mysteries that are Nintendo. I'd like to keep that going for years to come. And, whenever Directs are announced, they'll get their usual fanfare in separate threads. Because to do otherwise would be to deny ourselves the most glorious thing in the world:

More Fire Emblem characters for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
With that out of the way - our name has changed, but the founding ideal of this thread has not! Below is the inital permission grant to establish the Nintendo Speculation threads:

One point I'd like to address: while there will be ultimately some kind of overlap between 1st party discussions and Direct discussions, I imagine the Direct thread would be more focused on speculation, possible leaks and rumors than this one. It would basically be a thread to contain "all the madness" in one place to keep this thread more level-headed and on-topic.
We've discussed to have a dedicated thread after Moon's suggestion yesterday and came to the conclusion that this might work for the best going forward. So: if anybody is interested to make that thread, they are officially allowed to do so.
Only thing I'd like to ask for is that the OP keeps the opening post updated and tries to keep up with the discussion/speculation.

I will attempt to follow Raccoon's way of operating the following "What's The Latest?" section, with the intention of making the OP as informed and easy to catch up on as possible. Also, it is important to keep insiders out of the spotlight to avoid harassment. All of that considered:
  • This section will unavoidably contain insider teases, but they will not be distinguished from speculation by the community. This will summarize the current trends of opinion by the community so as to answer the often posted question "so what are we thinking?"
  • Building on the above, insiders will never be referenced by name or quoted in this OP. Insider forum teases are nondescript by design and attempts to circumvent that will be frowned upon. If you need further explanation for why this is supremely uncool I or others will explain
  • I'll do my best to keep track of what's up, but for this format to work I'll need to call on all of you, the top posters in this thread, to please @ me with points of discussion you think are worthy of the OP and to catch me up.
Additionally everything Raccoon said here still holds true:
Touching again on insider information, I'd like to stress that teases are not meant to be shared on Twitter or elsewhere. Obviously no one can stop you, but these teases are meant to be gifts to the community, not journalistic scoops. It is courtesy to not attempt to proliferate or cover information shared in this thread second hand. If you'd like to restrict viewership of part of your post to only those who have replied to the thread, you can use the tags [ H I D E ] content [ / H I D E ] without spaces.

Everyone please try to keep things respectful and lighthearted. Please do not dismiss another user's opinions or posts. Regardless of how intense the discussion or rumors get, site rules will be enforced and posts in violation of them will be actioned accordingly. Please don't get banned guys, this thread isn't worth it. As a refresher, site rule violations include trolling, posting sexual or objectifying content, bigoted speech, platform warring, hostility towards other members, engaging in off-site drama, and, of course, accusations of astroturfing.

QTrWPoH.png

Last updated: 2020 10 01 16:28 ETnewer speculation at the top.
  • the news of Steve came with hints from insiders that this deal has been in the works since before the base game released. Does this mean anything for future characters orNintendo's MIcrosoft relationship?
  • Steve from Minecraft is Joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! Marking the first third party character of fighters pass 2, and showing Nintendo's buddy-buddy relationship with MIcrosoft more. Further details will be shared on Saturday.
  • Shortly after, Kirby Fighters 2 was shadowdropped!
  • Kirby Fighters 2 was leaked on Nintendo's website, the Direct Archive was updated 9/22, and Bravely Default II was rated. Could something be happening soon?
  • Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin were announced for next year. With more info at TGS. Ori and the Will of the Wisps was shadowdropped. Watch today's Partner Showcase and surprise Monster Hunter Direct here:
  • there may be a reveal or info about Monster Hunter for Switch before the Tokyo Game Show, which starts September 23
  • there are minor, largely unsubstantiated rumblings of a Smash reveal this week; regardless of when exactly it happens, we're due for one soon
  • 50 minutes of info on Hurule Warriors: Age of Calamity will be shared on September 26 at 9:00 AM ET
  • As of right now, there aren't too many rumors and we aren't sure what exactly comes next
  • Nintendo is holding some sort of shareholder conference on the 16th. It won't have new products or services but it will likely be interesting. A countdown can be found here:
    t1600239600z0.png
  • We may see some info about BOTW2 in some form before the year ends
  • This madman voice actor has been leaking a new Monkey Ball based on 1 and 2 for ages, it allegedly is going to be announced this month (there's a thread for it)
  • Promising quotes about Doom Eternal from its team were made only a few months ago; we'll likely see it before 2021
  • #TeamJanuary has returned as we very well may not see a traditional live-streamed Nintendo Direct until then
  • Always be ready for the unexpected

Upcoming stuff in 2020
Super Mario 3D All Stars - September 18th
Cadence of Hyrule (Physical + DLC) - October 23rd
Pikmin 3 Deluxe - October 30th
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - November 20th
Pokemon Sword & Shield: The Crown Tundra DLC - October 22nd
Bravely Default II - 2020

2021 and Beyond

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - February 12th
No More Heroes III - 2021
Shin Megami III: Nocturne HD Remaster - 2021
Shin Megami Tensei V - 2021
Metroid Prime 4 - TBA
Bayonetta 3 -TBA
Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - TBA

CXDVLuc.png

Community Links:

Nintendo First Party Thread

Switch Rumor Archive

Nintendo Community Thread |OT| *This Space for Rent*

Nintendo Switch |OT| Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER! MAYBE!

[Hidden content]

HqCHozC.png

The spirit of "Nintendo Direct Speculation" threads will live on for this thread and beyond! But they... still actually exist too. And they're all here for your viewing pleasure:

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT|

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT2| Reset The Thread

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT3| Nintendo Direct Speculation Trilogy HD

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT4| The Sequel to OT3 is Now in Development.

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT5| But why? OT4 Was Still Selling...

Nintendo Direct Specutalion |OT6| OT7 Has Been Rated in Korea

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT7| March Madness

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT8| Begun, The Nintendo Has

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT9| Black Lives Matter far more than video games

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT10| Bakugan with the Wind

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT11| Honey, I shrunk the Directs

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT12| A delayed Direct is eventually good, but a rushed Direct is forever bad

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT13| is your lucky number..... and am out

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT13-2| lighting strikes twice

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT15| Available for a limited time only

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Directs confirmed cancelled forever after the change of the OT's name, sources say.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well guys! what should be speculate about first?! since apparently that's what we do here. speculate, i mean.
just a bunch of speculators!

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Mmmm, smells great here.

Pumped as shit for all the rumored games, Monster Hunter, Super Monkey Ball, NMH HD and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy! Here we go!!!

Jan 2, 2018
I worked very hard with Gimp to make this new avatar, I'm a little bit proud, even though it doesn't shine as bright in the little format.

But I also suck at picture editing.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nintendo Direct Speculation is dead, long live Nintendo Direct Speculation

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
The far superior thread title wins. General Directs are dead y'all. Move on.

EDIT: Apparently polls mean nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.