• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020

bXZYqDt.jpg

Operating profit margin should be at an all time high this fiscal year (currently at 37.87% after two quarters).

Wow, so Sony's botched PS3 launch was even worse for Sony than Wii U was for Nintendo.

Jul 14, 2020
I get that, and maybe I´m wrong but since NoE tweeted it that means is official, no?
As others have stated, Nintendo of Europe is correct (of course!) that the total sales of the game have exceeded 2 million but the entirety of that figure is not attributable to Nintendo given differences in who publishes the game by region.

Jul 14, 2020
Thanks!

My intention was to try to figure out what the average lifecycle of a game to better assess the duration of magnitude of sales beyond the initial launch window.

It seems like there are three categories of games
1) Large & Evergreen; sell millions of units each year
2) Medium; can break 3-5m in its launch year and then sell 1m+ for another 2-3 years,
3) Small: <2m launch games that just sell about 100k/quarter

I see MK8 approaching 40m next year, maybe AC too, then BotW + Smash near 25m. Odyssey and Pokémon in the low 20s.

I wish I got the data for all the other consoles over time, but they said Maybe one day.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I uh dont see how Xenoblade doubles its sales without the next entry being of a considerably higher budget or having a major genre shift.
By releasing on a way way way way bigger userbase, which is very important for frontloaded genres, and after greatly expanding its audience with both 2 and DE. Having sold a lot also means the budget is gonna be higher too.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Animal Crossing: New Horizon sells 13.41 million copies in its first 6 weeks, becomes the best-selling game in the series

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html as of march 31st: in its first 6 weeks: EDIT: sales of the AC games (source): Animal Crossing - 2.27M Animal Crossing: Wild World - 11.75M Animal Crossing: City Folk - 4.32M Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 12.55M Animal Crossing: New...

Looking back at this thread, people were expecting 30 million ACNH copies sold just for this year. I think they're on to something.
I wonder if this could happen if Nintendo gets enough of those AC Switch bundles out.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
OH nice, some numbers to add =)

Numbers for Bayo, DQXIS and the Warriors games.. wonder if we ever will see something for them, I could see them being close to or above 1M.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
whoa, those unexpected sales numbers updates.
nice.

Pokken, LA, and Astral were interesting to me. And an update on ARMS

Jul 14, 2020
ibb.co

F4-E8-A1-EC-0-D14-468-E-B98-F-05-EE29-FF929-F

Image F4-E8-A1-EC-0-D14-468-E-B98-F-05-EE29-FF929-F hosted in ImgBB

I think you guys would find the chart above interesting. It shows the rolling 12 month unit sales of Nintendo's biggest titles.

It shows that have these guys are continuously building a base of sales around there Evergreen titles and now it's just a fucking machine approaching 100 million units of first party sales on an annual basis.

It's also interesting to note the shape of the sales. Mario kart and Zelda are very consistent overtime while Pokémon tends to be all a front.

Jul 14, 2020
Any sources for the June 2020 numbers that includes Pokken DX being at 1.80m and FE3H at 3.02m? I don't remember these being in the quarter report from then.
In addition to what I said multiple times throughout the thread, some of my historical data comes from me using way back machine and tracking the disclosure a Nintendo's website.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
ibb.co

F4-E8-A1-EC-0-D14-468-E-B98-F-05-EE29-FF929-F

Image F4-E8-A1-EC-0-D14-468-E-B98-F-05-EE29-FF929-F hosted in ImgBB

I think you guys would find the chart above interesting. It shows the rolling 12 month unit sales of Nintendo's biggest titles.

It shows that have these guys are continuously building a base of sales around there Evergreen titles and now it's just a fucking machine approaching 100 million units of first party sales on an annual basis.

It's also interesting to note the shape of the sales. Mario kart and Zelda are very consistent overtime while Pokémon tends to be all a front.
Whats with 3D World and AoC on there?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
How do I post an image like that instead of links of my pics? What uploader do you use?
I think you can easily create one in Powerpoint, since it gives you a lot of options to create those charts. Then you do a full screen screenshot, then upload to the best image uploading site ever,

Imgur.

It's the one place where it can handle traffic as large as Reddit.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digital Ratio dropped this quarter for both switch and PlayStation

57-> 38% for switch
73-> 59% for PlayStation

Oct 25, 2017
How do I post an image like that instead of links of my pics? What uploader do you use?

BTW that's brilliant.
I just use a direct image link and use the post's emb feature (in the features of the post window there is the icon next to camera icon that looks like a rectangle with a mountain inside) and it just does it. It works on any uploaded that provides a direct image url

Last edited:

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

I will say Nintendo's crazy profit margin does make it kinda funny that Zhuge always seems to focus on digital revenue, specifically that Nintendo's is a fraction of Sony's, as if it's any kind of problem.

I've never said it's a problem. I've always said it's a point of comparison to show Nintendo's potential digital growth.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
FE, Xenoblade and DKC TF climbing up slowly but steady. Looking at these numbers made me realize we will probably see the next Kirby game next year which supposedly HAL wants it to be somthing great. That Monolith project they teased years back should maybe make an appearance sooner or later.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain to me why the Switch is more profitable than the Wii and DS combined?
You've got already plenty of responses.
To give a clear perspective on the difference between digital sales during peak Wii/DS era and Switch era:
6BE7DaK.png

During the Switch era Nintendo's digital sales are growing at a rate close to 100% each fiscal year.
Digital sales in the first two quarters of the current fiscal year are close to the whole digital sales of the previous fiscal year.

Last edited:

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I've never said it's a problem. I've always said it's a point of comparison to show Nintendo's potential digital growth.

Yeh they will naturally see growth in digital but its in no way realistic to expect them to get anywhere near Sony's numbers. They don't push online multiplayer in their own games (and thus Nintendo Online subscriptions) but push local co-op experiences for the most part and they lack the third party titles that account for huge chunks of that Sony revenue which is mostly microtransactions

Nintendo also has specifically said they are committed to retail because without it they could not offer their unique experiences like Ring Fit / Labo / Mario Kart Live so they are hardly gunning to get to those numbers. They show little desire to grow that part of the business through any of their own initiative

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Yea they should instore their Nintendo Select line for Switch soon. I think Kirby, DKC TF, ARMS and like Xenoblade C2 should be part of it.
I agree.

First wave:
ARMS
Kirby Star Allies
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Second wave:
Pokemon Let's Go
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
Yoshi's Crafted World
1, 2 Switch

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I agree.

First wave:
ARMS
Kirby Star Allies
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Second wave:
Pokemon Let's Go
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
Yoshi's Crafted World
1, 2 Switch

They don't normally add pokemon games to this line i think, i don't know why tbh. Yoshi and HW should def be on there. Maybe Fire Emblem as well maybe. They usually instore the line like in year 3 so we should see it soon if they are planning on doing one for Switch. There is so many games that can be put on it, just writting that i forgot Mario Tennis Aces was a thing and could get a second life with that treatment as well.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Yea they should instore their Nintendo Select line for Switch soon.
Don't hold your breath.
I think we will see the Nintendo Selects line on Switch at the earliest in 2022.
I'm actually wondering how the mainstream adoption of digital purchases will impact their strategy for the Nintendo Selects line (digital let them do temporary price cut while retaining high margin compared to physical copies).

Christo750

May 10, 2018
They don't normally add pokemon games to this line i think, i don't know why tbh. Yoshi and HW should def be on there. Maybe Fire Emblem as well maybe. They usually instore the line like in year 3 so we should see it soon if they are planning on doing one for Switch. There is so many games that can be put on it, just writting that i forgot Mario Tennis Aces was a thing and could get a second life with that treatment as well.
Yeah the only reason I'm really considering LGPE for this is it's more of a spinoff/newcomers' first pokemon game. The real money is in Sw/Sh.